Start by marking “For Queen and Country (Shimmy and Steam, #1)” as Want to Read:
For Queen and Country (Shimmy and Steam, #1)

For Queen and Country (Shimmy and Steam #1)

2.83 of 5 stars 2.83  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The Gyspy.

An airship in Queen Victoria's service, traveling around Europe with five bellydancer/spies onboard. Lady C, Lilly, Gertie, Penny, and Sera. This is the first of five books, that centers on Lady C. They Gypsy's leader with a secret no one must ever know about. It is because of this secret that she has keep the love of Lord Colin at arms's length. But when he joi
Published October 7th 2011

To ask other readers questions about For Queen and Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Queen and Country

Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
Steampunk/Romance
215th out of 269 books — 770 voters
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayBelle Cora by Phillip MarguliesWildthorn by Jane EaglandCorsets & Crossbones by Heather C. MyersJane Eyre Laid Bare by Eve Sinclair
Corsets on the Cover
41st out of 44 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Sally
Not good.

The voice is consistent at least and it might appeal to readers who are looking for wish fulfillment fantasy, who have little love of good steampunk, good erotica, good writing, common sense or history. However, it tried to be a little of each and failed at all of them IMO.

Still for someone who enjoys a light read of wish fulfillment fantasy, with no real substance and no need for a believable storyline it might be an enjoyable diversion.

If you can believe that a ballet dancer can tak
Morv
Nov 08, 2012 Morv rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chickflick readers, beach books
Shelves: chickflick, steampunk
I was expecting something more from this book, although I am not completely sure what. The book just left me wondering 'What?' more than anything else.
Although I found some of the character's rather interesting, 3 of the dancing girls interested me and the newest member was rather mysterious and yet, nothing is known about them.
The plot was basically really bland and it seemed rather rushed at the end of it which really took away from what the author had attempted to build it up.

It was rather b
Dianne
Need a super quick, super light read spiced with some erotic scenes in a steampunk setting? For Queen and Country by Michelle Kopra is very short, but the premise of dancing girls who are undercover spies is a great idea. I can appreciate the potential and hope Ms. Kopra takes her tales t the next level of detail.

I enjoyed what there was, but can really see that with some fleshing out, the opportunity for an awesome read is right there, so near! Ms. Kopra has a great idea that will grab the inte
Ashley
The premise behind this story was good. However it needs a better copy editor and a little bit more fleshing out. It just felt really rushed.
Correao
Needs better editing, I'd volunteer! Great ideas, needs a bit of help though.
Ruth
c2011: FWFTB: Air-ship, dancers, spies, danger, Victoria. Seriously? This is not a book nor a novella. If anything, it could only be called a sampler. The writing is not terrible but a little more care with vocab and grammar would have made a positive difference. The plot, well....probably more for tweenies/young teenagers but some sex scenes thrown in have removed it from this market totally. One of the irritants was using an idiomatic phrase phonetically eg describing another character it was ...more
Amber Zade
This novella was fast paced, fun, and interesting.
Epistretes
If I could have given this a zero, I would have.
Sherri Dub
I enjoyed the story, the descriptive steaminess and the couple that kept me turning the pages.
However, I would've given it 5 stars, if the author had expanded the story into another 200 pages or so.
There was so much left unsaid, even for a novella.
I wanted to learn more about the dancing girls, individually and their pasts.
This book was delicious and fun.
I read it straight through in one sitting.
Miss Thing
Jo
A rather enjoyable little book. It starts out a little jumbled but once it gets going the story is very good.
Alison S
Fun and "steamy" little spy and Steampunk story, a bit of intrigue and tension in more than just one area.
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Kimme
Kimme marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Sue Lyssa Stone Shaffer
Sue Lyssa Stone Shaffer marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Dusty Deal
Dusty Deal marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Wendy  Wilson
Wendy Wilson marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Jacque Summers
Jacque Summers marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Coby
Coby marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Candy Camarena
Candy Camarena marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Heather Harrelson
Heather Harrelson marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Shimmy and Steam (4 books)
  • All The Queen's Women (Shimmy and Steam, #2)
  • In The Queen's Service (Shimmy and Steam, #3)
  • Penny For The Queen (shimmy and Steam, #4)
All The Queen's Women (Shimmy and Steam, #2) Major Mischief Hexes in Texas In The Queen's Service (Shimmy and Steam, #3) All Hail the Queen (Shimmy and Steam #5)