Start by marking “Falcon” as Want to Read:

Falcon

A young boy imagines what it would be like to fly as a falcon and see the world from on high. Soaring through the skies, he describes the sights and sounds of the world below. From snow-capped mountains to lush valleys, over rolling ocean and up rocky cliffs, Falcon will awaken the senses of every reader.
Published March 27th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Falcon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falcon

Melody
Jul 08, 2013 Melody rated it really liked it
Simply lovely illustrations of a falcon doing falcony things- soaring, diving, perching, flying. The text is spare and clean, the real strength here is the art. It's quite obvious that Jessell has spent a lot of time in the company of falcons, and his ability to depict them in motion is breathtaking. I wish I'd had this book to read when my son was small, he would have adored it. I think he will adore it now, just not from my lap.
Jun 06, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Artwork deserves 5 stars easily. The text is an afterthought at best. Also, a book about a falcon where the falcon doesn't try to kill anything? Lame.
Bethany
Apr 17, 2012 Bethany rated it really liked it
Author/Illustrator: Tim Jessell
Published: 2012
Publisher: Random House
ISBN: 978-0-375-86866
Pages: 40
Illustrations: Illustrations span three quarters of page spread
Text density per page: approximately twenty words per page spread
Age: 3 and older

Summary: Falcon
A boy lies in a field daydreaming, "If I were a falcon . . . with the sound of tearing paper, my wings would slice through the air." Moments later the reader is enticed to join in the imaginary experience of rushing through air and sce
Tasha
May 08, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Told in lush illustrations and verse, this picture book follows the daydreams of a young boy. A boy in a summer field dreams of being a falcon. He would fly high in the mountains, along the coast, and roost in the cliffs where he could hear the crashing waves. He would journey to the city, where he could perch far above the noise and bustle and watch the city from above. Then he would dive down, faster and faster, towards the sidewalks and the people. At the very last moment, he would spread his ...more
Denise Krebs
Jul 14, 2012 Denise Krebs rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very beautiful prose describing a young boy imagining to be a falcon. I thought it was lovely and almost a nonfiction telling of what falcons do.

However, at the end the falcon swoops down toward the sidewalks and people gasping below. He flies right back up and considers doing it again. At that point I remembered it was a little boy imagining (wishing) he were a falcon. Sweet!
Sep 11, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A young boy lies in the field day dreaming of being a falcon. The text flows smoothly, the illustrations are extremely detailed yet soft, and the story overall has a calming yet whimsical effect. I could almost feel myself flying with the falcon. Teachers/librarians could use this book when studying senses or as a precursor to a creative writing activity. Recommended for purchase
Michael Fitzgerald
Aug 25, 2016 Michael Fitzgerald rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Are we scared of showing the basic concept of what a falcon, as a predator, does? Hunting and eating are nowhere to be found in this book. The pictures are nice, but I daresay if you asked the falcon what he'd like to do first, he'd swoop and snatch a mouse before he'd worry about all that poetic soaring and preening.
Ann Williams
Feb 08, 2013 Ann Williams rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-everyone
Dylan showed me this awesome book. It is narrative non fiction, which is a genre that we are learning more about all the time. The illustrations are AMAZING. Everyone couldn't wait to get their hands on this book. Check out Tim Jessell's website.
Nov 27, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
A boy muses about what he would do if he were a falcon, imagining flying through the wilderness and a busy city. I like that this story shows how animals' adaptations play out both in their natural environments and our urban landscapes.
Great Books
Mar 28, 2012 Great Books rated it liked it
Shelves: family
A falcon flies to far away places, along coastlines and among tall buildings. The majectic bird's journey and daring are imagined by a boy. The imagry is gracefully rendered in realistic panoramic illustrations lending to a flight of fancy for children of all ages. Reviewer 17
Chris
The other day I was peering out the window of the library trying to see if I could still spot the Peregrine Falcon my kids and I had been watching out in the square, perched high on a skyscraper. I turned to my left and this book jumped off the shelf at me. Pleasant coincidence.
Kifflie
Nov 12, 2012 Kifflie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What would it be like if you were a falcon? Author and illustrator Tim Jessell has produced a terrific picture book about these birds of prey. The jacket notes reveal that Jessell is a licensed falconer, so he certainly knows what he's talking about here. The paintings are lovely.
Heidi-Marie
I wasn't all that thrilled with the text in this, but the illustrations--particularly of the falcon and landscapes--were beautiful. Great choice for a lap-read and let the child's imagination soar (pun intended).
Judy Desetti
Dec 22, 2012 Judy Desetti rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers to share with kids
Stunning illustrations! Great book to share with kids showing what falcons do and experience. The boy in the story is imagining he is a falcon and doing all the things that the falcon does.

Recommend.
Laura5
My 7 yr old was completely enchanted - On the page with the Falcon diving: "Now that's my kind of move"
Garren
Mar 08, 2016 Garren rated it liked it
A short journey of pure imaginative fun: What would it be like to be a falcon? The gorgeous oil paintings and the dream-like pace make this a great filler book between longer stories.
Beverly
Jan 17, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Gorgeous, realistic illustrations of a peregrine falcon in the wild and in the city; poetic prose; good for storytime.
Jodie
Nov 23, 2013 Jodie rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations that start with a boy dreaming that he is a falcon and what he would do. I am drawn to the details on the cover.
Andd Becker
Sep 27, 2012 Andd Becker rated it really liked it
A boy imagines the life of a falcon. The text is fluid and descriptive. The illustrations are superb.
Amy Wise
Aug 12, 2012 Amy Wise rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Great illustrations! Cool book about a boy telling you what he would do if he were a falcon. We have all had that daydream before...if I were a bird...I would... Great book!
Feb 13, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I want to be a falcon! I loved the stunning illustrations from the bird's perspective. The simple words invite the reader to imagine they are flying with the falcon.
Aug 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
I liked this book and the illustrations. I just wish he wouldn't have gone to the city. It was so picturesque without adding man made items into the scenario.
Jennifer Fountain
Such descriptive language!
I plan to use this book in class as a model for writing. I might even have students pick something they would want to be, then mimic the layout of this story.
Shelli
Jun 24, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Gorgeous illustrations showing what a young boy daydreams of doing if he were a magnificent falcon.
Marcie
Jan 16, 2014 Marcie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is a beautiful book and all the more because of the jacket flap showing the artist with his falcon.
Allison
This book world be great to show kids to use there imagination it can let you do the impossible. The landscape that is depicted in this book is amazing,
Katie Day
Katie Day rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2012
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2012
Scope
Scope rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2015