3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A young boy imagines what it would be like to fly as a falcon and see the world from on high. Soaring through the skies, he describes the sights and sounds of the world below. From snow-capped mountains to lush valleys, over rolling ocean and up rocky cliffs, Falcon will awaken the senses of every reader.
Published March 27th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Falcon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falcon

Melody
Simply lovely illustrations of a falcon doing falcony things- soaring, diving, perching, flying. The text is spare and clean, the real strength here is the art. It's quite obvious that Jessell has spent a lot of time in the company of falcons, and his ability to depict them in motion is breathtaking. I wish I'd had this book to read when my son was small, he would have adored it. I think he will adore it now, just not from my lap.
Bethany
Author/Illustrator: Tim Jessell
Published: 2012
Publisher: Random House
ISBN: 978-0-375-86866
Pages: 40
Illustrations: Illustrations span three quarters of page spread
Text density per page: approximately twenty words per page spread
Age: 3 and older

Summary: Falcon
A boy lies in a field daydreaming, "If I were a falcon . . . with the sound of tearing paper, my wings would slice through the air." Moments later the reader is enticed to join in the imaginary experience of rushing through air and sce...more
Tasha
Told in lush illustrations and verse, this picture book follows the daydreams of a young boy. A boy in a summer field dreams of being a falcon. He would fly high in the mountains, along the coast, and roost in the cliffs where he could hear the crashing waves. He would journey to the city, where he could perch far above the noise and bustle and watch the city from above. Then he would dive down, faster and faster, towards the sidewalks and the people. At the very last moment, he would spread his...more
Denise Krebs
Very beautiful prose describing a young boy imagining to be a falcon. I thought it was lovely and almost a nonfiction telling of what falcons do.

However, at the end the falcon swoops down toward the sidewalks and people gasping below. He flies right back up and considers doing it again. At that point I remembered it was a little boy imagining (wishing) he were a falcon. Sweet!
A young boy lies in the field day dreaming of being a falcon. The text flows smoothly, the illustrations are extremely detailed yet soft, and the story overall has a calming yet whimsical effect. I could almost feel myself flying with the falcon. Teachers/librarians could use this book when studying senses or as a precursor to a creative writing activity. Recommended for purchase
Ann Williams
Dylan showed me this awesome book. It is narrative non fiction, which is a genre that we are learning more about all the time. The illustrations are AMAZING. Everyone couldn't wait to get their hands on this book. Check out Tim Jessell's website.
Kifflie
What would it be like if you were a falcon? Author and illustrator Tim Jessell has produced a terrific picture book about these birds of prey. The jacket notes reveal that Jessell is a licensed falconer, so he certainly knows what he's talking about here. The paintings are lovely.
Chris
The other day I was peering out the window of the library trying to see if I could still spot the Peregrine Falcon my kids and I had been watching out in the square, perched high on a skyscraper. I turned to my left and this book jumped off the shelf at me. Pleasant coincidence.
Great Books
A falcon flies to far away places, along coastlines and among tall buildings. The majectic bird's journey and daring are imagined by a boy. The imagry is gracefully rendered in realistic panoramic illustrations lending to a flight of fancy for children of all ages. Reviewer 17
A boy muses about what he would do if he were a falcon, imagining flying through the wilderness and a busy city. I like that this story shows how animals' adaptations play out both in their natural environments and our urban landscapes.
Heidi
I wasn't all that thrilled with the text in this, but the illustrations--particularly of the falcon and landscapes--were beautiful. Great choice for a lap-read and let the child's imagination soar (pun intended).
Judy Desetti
Dec 22, 2012 Judy Desetti rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers to share with kids
Stunning illustrations! Great book to share with kids showing what falcons do and experience. The boy in the story is imagining he is a falcon and doing all the things that the falcon does.

Recommend.
Jennifer Fountain
Such descriptive language!
I plan to use this book in class as a model for writing. I might even have students pick something they would want to be, then mimic the layout of this story.
Amy Wise
Great illustrations! Cool book about a boy telling you what he would do if he were a falcon. We have all had that daydream before...if I were a bird...I would... Great book!
I want to be a falcon! I loved the stunning illustrations from the bird's perspective. The simple words invite the reader to imagine they are flying with the falcon.
I liked this book and the illustrations. I just wish he wouldn't have gone to the city. It was so picturesque without adding man made items into the scenario.
Artwork deserves 5 stars easily. The text is an afterthought at best. Also, a book about a falcon where the falcon doesn't try to kill anything? Lame.
Allison
This book world be great to show kids to use there imagination it can let you do the impossible. The landscape that is depicted in this book is amazing,
Jodie
Beautiful illustrations that start with a boy dreaming that he is a falcon and what he would do. I am drawn to the details on the cover.
Beverly
Gorgeous, realistic illustrations of a peregrine falcon in the wild and in the city; poetic prose; good for storytime.
Shelli
Gorgeous illustrations showing what a young boy daydreams of doing if he were a magnificent falcon.
Andd Becker
A boy imagines the life of a falcon. The text is fluid and descriptive. The illustrations are superb.
Laura5
My 7 yr old was completely enchanted - On the page with the Falcon diving: "Now that's my kind of move"
Marcie
This is a beautiful book and all the more because of the jacket flap showing the artist with his falcon.
Aimee Owen
This would be a great book to read and then visit the falcons in downtown Omaha!
Leah
The illustrations were appealing, but I felt the text fell a little flat.
Scottsdale Public Library
Share the awesome experience of flight beyond boundaries. - Monty
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
The illustrations in this book are beautiful.
Carolynn
The illustrations in this book are fantastic!
Serina
beautifully rendered, kinda poetic

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Amorak The Mystery of the Fallen Treasure (The Boxcar Children, #132) The Mystery of the Stolen Snowboard Paper Tiger The Mystery of the Wild West Bandit