It's Milking Time

It's Milking Time

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A lyrical and visual treasure—perfect for reading aloud to any child who's ever asked: Where does milk come from?

As the sun sets over the fields, a little girl and her father begin the evening milking. They work side by side, fanning out beds of straw, bringing in the cows, and hooking up the milkers.

Soon they've filled milk can after milk can for the creamery truck that w...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about It's Milking Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Milking Time

Janet
Being a "rural farm girl" from long ago I really wanted to rate this book with a four or a five, but I just can't. The illustrations are great and I love the end papers depicting the hide of a cow because they really do look like that; also the rubber boots the little girl is wearing are right on and are still worn today; the point is well made that this milking process happens twice a day, 365 days per year; the father-daughter relationship is well depicted as farm children and their parents ha...more
Lynda Shoup
There are many books that cover the subject of cows and where milk comes from. This one was a delight. The illustrations are lovely. The routine is well explained. This book shows the role that children can take in everyday farm life. What I especially liked was the patterned language. After each section we are reminded "Every morning, every night, it's milking time." Soothing to the ear, at bedtime especially, it gives that sense of rhythm that is so welcome in a children's book. It also effect...more
Edward Sullivan
Good story and illustrations and a warm depiction of the father/daughter relationship. It's also a good depiction of what hard work farming is. Glad I buy my milk from the supermarket.
Terri
Reading for Chapter and Verse Book Club...

"It's Milking Time," written by Phyllis Alsdurf and illustrated by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher is a book every child should read. We follow a young contemporary farm girl as she helps her father go through the process of calling the cows home,feeding them, milking them, cleaning up after them and, finally drinking the product of their labor - as she and her father do twice a day, 365 days a year.

What I liked about this book:

- it's by a Minnesota autho...more
I really enjoyed this story of a little girl and her father milking the cows together. It reads almost like a song with a repeating sentence - "Every morning, every night, it's milking time". The story makes the information about milking and the process of getting milk to the table, as well as other milk products, more accessible than a strictly factual rendering. Spoiler alert - The word "teats" is used, so be prepared to explain the correct pronunciation and usage.
Amie
I really hate to give this only 2 stars because the story, especially the relationship between the little girl and her dad, is lovely, and the illustrations are beautiful. I also love that it tries to teach children about the source of their food. My issue with this book is that it does not make it clear that this is not how a modern dairy farm operates. I feel like the illustrations give the impression that it is modern, or at least could have taken place within the last 3 decades, but it does...more
Tasha
This picture book looks at milking time on a modern dairy farm. A little girl works alongside her father. She helps to bring the cows in from the field and then into the barn. She scoops feed into their stalls and helps get the milkers ready. Then she opens the big barn doors and the cows enter the barn and line up in their stanchions. The little girl goes around and locks them. Milking starts, and there are quiet moments to look out at the growing corn, but then milk is ready to be carried to t...more
Sandy Brehl
I LOVE the endpapers- very realistic cowhide!
Beyond that, this is a fictional story of a girl helping her dad twice daily with the milking routine on a family farm. A blend of factual content embedded in lyrical text, this realistic portrayal is made even more so by the low-key but heartwarming illustrations. Perhaps the fact that I had dairy farming neighbors for many years skewed my opinion. The thoroughness of the description, combined with the relentless refrain "it's milking time" convey th...more
Tara Gill
A look at how it used to be done. Lovely.
This is a really sweet story about a girl and her dad doing farm chores. I think it could use a glossary for some of the terms, but overall I think kids will be able to pick up most of the terms from context.

As an adult I wondered about the size of the operation and how it mixed technology with old fashioned methods. Is this how the majority of dairy farms work? I don't know if this is memories of a particular farm. Not that it matters.
Lynn
I really loved this unusual and charming book. Farmers get so little respect when their hard work keeps us all fed and in our modern culture so few children know anything at all about farming and origins of our food. Lovely illustrations capture not only the facts of the story behind milk production, the nonstop requirements of milking and the care of dairy cows and also the connection to the rhythms of the natural world.
Amy
Audience: P-2nd students and their parents, teachers, kids who want to know where milk comes from

Appeal: Rhythmic and flowing text is fun and educational about life on a dairy farm. It shows a very loving relationship between a father and daughter who work together and her love of the cows on their farm.

(Pre-class book)
Rachel
Simple picture book that describes the process for milking from a child's perspective. Could not understand why sometimes they used technology and other times they did things (like carry lots of buckets) instead of having technology transports. This made it so I could not identify the time of the story, if it was historical or not.
Anne Broyles
A simple story about a young child's experience on her family's farm. The milking process is outlined, but what really shines in this book is the relationship between father and daughter, and between the girl, the cows and the farm. This would be a good bedtime tale with its lulling language and soft paintings.
Read  Ribbet
Phyllis Aldsdurf who grew up on a dairy farm in Minnesota writes a beautiful story about a young girl and her father going through the day on a dairy farm. The writing is so poetic and captures what many rural Wisconsin kids experience (finally a book about them!) It's a great relationship story.
Sharon Lawler
At dusk, a little girl helps her dad milk the Holsteins on their family farm, from leading the herd to the barn to cleaning the equipment. Provides a lesson in the caring for a herd of dairy cows, as well as the farm to market economy . Lovely illustrations.
Karen Arendt
Lovely story about a girl's special time with her father milking cows on their farm. A food story about where dairy products come from but not detailed about the process just about the work done by farmers.
Jason
Having spent many a morning and evening milking, this book was a fun read for me. It's not top of the line literature, but it does represent the simple joys that are a part of family farm life.
Shelli
Nicely illustrated picture book with a well done story that shows how much work there is to do at a farm, day and night. I liked how each animal was given a name and shown respect and love.
Annelise
Three cheers for a picture book about dairy farming that shows pastured cattle and a family drinking raw milk with breakfast.
Beth
A beautifully quiet book that conveys in words and pictures life on a dairy farm.
Joanna Troy
Joanna Troy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Battered Into Submission: The Tragedy Of Wife Abuse In The Christian Home Religion, Media, and the Marketplace