Fever (Phoenix Rising, #1)

Fever (Phoenix Rising #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,078 ratings  ·  225 reviews
Dr. Alyssa Foster will admit to a bad boy fetish. . . But when she finds herself face to face with a convicted murderer with a ripped body, a determination for freedom and an eye on her as his get out of jail free card, Alyssa knows she's in deep trouble. . .. Not just because Teague Creek is a prisoner desperate for freedom, but because his every touch makes her desperate...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fever

Amy

I debated reviewing Fever given this is a debut author and I wish nothing but the best for any aspiring writer. However, I also believe that readers need a fair and honest review from a person who finished the book in it’s entirety. The reason I finished the book is because at times I am a masochist when it comes to not DNF’ing a story. In all seriousness though, I hoped to find something to justify why one of my all time favorite authors would give a positive quote to the book. What I found was...more
Jill

Teague Creek, former firefighter and paramedic has been an inmate at San Quentin for three years. Convicted of beating and killing his girlfriend by setting her on fire, he's a lifer. Pulling in favours owed to him, Teague plans an escape. Using the ruse of a medical check-up for stomach pains, he plans to take the radiologist hostage and use her for an exchange.

Dr Alyssa Foster likes badboys, so the cut and tattooed prisoner piques her interest. Initially. Until she sees exactly what the tatto...more
Mandi Schreiner
Unfortunately, I can't handle the racial slurs in this book. And yes, I realize they are in there to make us not like a certain character (at least that is my assumption. I am dnf'ing after pg 50 or so). Although because his character is friends with (or at least tagging along) with the hero, he has a lot of page time.

But for me personally, there is no reason to use the N word or a slur against an Asian woman in a book. If you don't want me to like the character, than think of a different way to...more
KatLynne
Debut - Romantic Suspense with PNR aspects and a truly hot cover!

I’ve had difficulty rating this book. I liked it! What interfered with my rating is my comparison to my fav PNR Romantic Suspense series. When I put this comparison aside, this clearly is a 4 star read. I hope that makes sense:)

I don't usually enjoy fugitive heroes but after reading my friend Jill's review, I knew I wanted to get this one. From the very first page I was intrigued and didn’t want to stop until the end. This debut...more
The Holy Terror
Mar 03, 2012 The Holy Terror marked it as will-never-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terrible-writing
Jane's status updates are proof enough that I never want to read this. Here are a few gems:

"The Aryan Brotherhood sidekick, the hero and heroine confront a bunch of slang talking black guys who spout off cliched lines like "once you go black, you never go back". This also treats us to "porch monkeys, wiggas, cracka" (42)

"AB sidekick telling the dreadlocked black guys to get lost "you heard him, monkey meat," Taz said. "Get the fuck out of here before he shoots your ugly black faces clean off." (...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
May 08, 2012 Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Review request by author
Posted on Under the Covers

Debut author Joan Swan takes you on a pulse-pounding, no-holds-barred, suspense-driven ride from beginning to end!

Doctor Alyssa gets caught up in a royal mess. Two inmates, working together have taken her from her workplace and brought her along a ride that changes the course of her life. Scared beyond reason, Alyssa tries to wrap her head around the situation that is happening to her. I found that I really liked Alyssa. She showed courage in times when I would have cra...more
Scooper Speaks
Favorite Lines: “A pristine fantasy of him lying naked in the middle of a big, comfortable bed with her equally as naked, straddling his lap with a sexy smile on that beautiful face instead of that perpetual scowl. Her hair fell forward over her shoulders as she split the foil condom wrapper with her teeth. Popped the latex securely between those full lips. Rolled it over his extended length with her mouth. Seated it in place with a suction that made his hands clench the sheets and his body arc...more
Trish
Every once in a while, I get really lucky--when I discover a great book by an author that I haven’t read before, or a debut author, who is new to everyone—and I want to shout at the rooftops that I’ve just finished an awesome read. FEVER is that book.

Joan Swan, triple RWA Golden Heart finalist and a double Daphne Du Maurier finalist, has a reason to celebrate. Her debut romance novel, Fever, will be released on February 28, 2012. And it’s a super-fan-freakin-tastic read.

So prepare now for that...more
Elisabeth Naughton
Fast-paced romantic suspense with a twist of the paranormal you won't be able to put down!
Jennah Scott
First let me say that Teague is 1000% swoon worthy (and I LOVE the cover). Yes, he's an escaped convict but from the beginning you know there's more to his story. It's like you immediately know that he didn't do what he's convicted of. It takes a while to learn what exactly he did, and then once you do everything you thought you had figured out is flipped upside down.

There are so many different parts to the story it really does take until the last page to finish putting the puzzle together. I ap...more
Sandy M
I just love it when a debut author hits it out of the park. Joan Swan has done that and then some. She’s given readers an intense and suspenseful story infused with a romance that grows as secrets are revealed, all with an underlying paranormal element that gives the Phoenix Rising series its base, on which Ms. Swan has built exciting characters and storylines.

Alyssa Foster has worked hard to keep her medical career on an upward track, culminating in a promotion she’s ready to knock out the comp...more
Among The Muses
This is, without a doubt, one of the best romantic suspense books I’ve read! FEVER gripped me so hard I think I have bruises! :) From beginning to end, there isn’t a single dull moment, a drop in pulse pounding action, or a time that you aren’t left warm and tingling from the blazing sexual tension. I’m left in awe of the fabulousness that a debut author can deliver in a romantic suspense novel that has a unique plot shrouded by mystery, deceit, and pain – that ultimately leads to a great HEA.

Th...more
Shana Galen
Once in a while I read a book that I can’t put down. It’s the kind of book that I think about when I’m folding laundry or driving to the store or jogging around the neighborhood. I wonder how the characters are possibly going to solve their problems and end up together. And I stay up late, even though it means functioning on four hours of sleep, because I cannot wait to find out how the novel ends. I hadn’t read a book like that in a long time.

Until I picked up Joan Swan’s debut, Fever.

From the...more
Diana
Not a review exactly, just some observations. This book for reasons I don't fully understand is the center of all kinds of melodrama. Maybe I'll just bullet point, without judgment.

*There is an impressive number of squeesqueesquee 5 star reviews very early in the game.
*Some people think a droolworthy and dreamy hero is an adequate reason for five stars.
*This is a debut author. Has she really hit it out of the park on her first book? Where will she go from here?
*A lot of people think they've writ...more
Kendra
For full review including excerpt and dialogue highlight, please visit Reader's Edyn at:

Review:

Holy Wow! I was completely blown away by this debut novel. Sometimes you can be skeptical about a debut author, not having any point of reference, but Ms. Swan had a couple of things going for her before I ever cracked the cover. First, she understands the draw of a fabulous cover. I mean look at that body! The man is frickin fantastic. Makes you want to pet the pretty. *stops to pe...more
Leanne
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! Oh My God it was sooooo good! I started reading it at work in between calls and it sucked me right in. I had a hard time to stop reading lol

So the story starts with Dr, Alyssa walking down the hall and she's contemplating life and that fact that she is fighting to make it to the top of her career. I usually read through descriptions quickly to get on to the dialogue but they were so well written I read word for word.
When Alyssa gets to the room that is holding a convicted...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
From page one FEVER simmers with danger, chemistry, and Alpha hero deliciousness. And despite all that action, Swan still does a fantastic job having her characters navigate this steamy plot without sacrificing their depth. Well-executed romance with a light paranormal frosting, these two characters could have spent the entire book on a deserted island and I’d still be eagerly turning pages.

While it’s not unusual for me to like one character above all others in a book, it is rare for lesser char...more
Guilty Pleasures
This review posted at
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Recommended Read

I am not going to lie...the scorching HOT cover of this book caught my attention and let me tell you, this is one time you CAN judge a book by it's cover. FEVER is an emotionally charged, action packed, romantic suspense debut novel with a great plot and amazing character development.

FEVER takes hold of you in the first couple of sentences and will not let you go. Dr. Alyssa Foster is already having a bad day at work, when two pr...more
Christi Snow
My Review:
This is a book that I have been looking forward to for months. Finally, my pre-ordered copy showed up and I devoured this book within hours of it's arrival. Once I started it, I couldn't put it down. It surpassed all of my already high expectations...OMG, I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!

This is the first in a series of books about a group of firefighters who got caught up in a warehouse explosion. Something was in that explosion which affected the group, but it's affected them all in different way...more
GraceSweetSpotBookBlog
A Sizzling Thrill Ride!

WOW! Joan Swan's debut romantic-suspense novel, FEVER, is a thrill ride you won't want to miss! When San Quentin prisoner, Teague Creek, former firefighter and paramedic, is transported to a San Francisco medical center for a medical exam, he sets his plan for escape in motion. His plans include taking a specific hostage, but what he didn't know is that the hospital would be short staffed that evening, and he mistakenly takes another person. As Teague and another inmate es...more
MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-»

****I would like to thank Joan Swan for providing a review copy in exchange for a honest review! :D****

Don’t you just love it when an author takes a simple idea and turns it into this mind blowing piece of work, that you aren’t likely to forget for the next how many ever days!? Fever did that to me. In fact, Ms. Swan gave romantic suspense a whole new meaning. There was never a dull moment - I was instantly sucked in by the very first action-packed scene, and I was kept absorbed until the very l...more
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks

Teague Creek is a convicted murderer who used to be a well respected Fireman/Paramedic. Alyssa Foster is a Physician just trying to get ahead in a man's world. Teague's and Alyssa's worlds collide when Teague escapes taking the attractive Doctor as his hostage in the escape along with evil inmate, Taz. During the escape Alyssa finds Teague has a very odd ability, which as a Doctor intrigues as well as terrifies her.

All Teague wants is to be free of prison and to take back something that's solely...more
Mel
Fever is a romantic suspense book with a paranormal twist. Romantic suspense is not a genre I normally read but I was intrigued with the paranormal aspect so I chose it as a book to review. I am so glad I gave this book a chance. It was action packed, kept me on the edge of my seat and I couldn't put it down. I can't wait to see where Joan Swan takes this series next.

Teague Creek is a man serving a life sentence and feels he has nothing to lose. Conspiracy put him in prison and he will do whate...more
Bronwen Evans
I don’t read a lot of romantic suspense, but then I love including romantic suspense story lines in my Regency historical books so I’m not totally unfamiliar.

I picked FEVER to read as it was on sale at $1.99 and because of the cover – I mean he is hot. Add to that the hero’s name is Teague, and Ms. Swan grabbed me.

I did enjoy this book. I liked the strong characters and I thought the relationship developed at the right pace, even if the story did not – it had a bit of the slow, muddled middle go...more
Mei
WOW!!!! Triple WOW!!! What a fantastic book!!!
I loved the hero, I loved the heroine, I loved the story!!! I loved the flow of the story, the dialogue!! I loved everything!
There's a small paranormal issue in the story, but though important, the main part of the story is a thriller. Perheps this will be more througly explored in the next book. I'm anxiously awaiting for the second book!
Deb
Four stars with reservations. Having read many of the one star reviews that complain about the racial slurs, I was a bit leery of reading this book. As it turned out, I think that particular criticism is not warranted, but I think many missed the forest for the trees and didn't pick up on more serious concerns regarding the role of race in this book, probably because those people didn't read very far into the book.

The hero, Teague is introduced as a prisoner sentenced to life, sporting a collec...more
Yvonne
4.5 Stars

(minus .5 because of the lack of STEAMY hot you know what scenes between Teague and Lys....come on!)
Kelly % Books-n-Kisses
My thoughts:
Fever is Joan Swan’s break out novel. I had the great pleasure of getting to read an ARC of Fever. LOVED!!! LOVED!!!! LOVED this book!!!
Joan has created a world for us that starts with a single event. A Fire. A warehouse fire. A warehouse fire that will forever change the life’s of the men and women caught in that fire.
In Fever we meet Teague Creek an man on the run. On a mission to get to the one person he loves the most and nothing or no one will stand in his way. Teague is a tough...more
Visionary
Been anticipating this book for some time! And ironically animals and family are working against my reading time!

On page 87 - Very gripping, nearly action packed from the beginning. Never once did I get bored, no information dump from the get go. Been picking up information here or there along the way for the pace to go rather smoothly.

Note: Alyssa is the type of heroine that I really like. No fragile flower there. She fights and straight up gives Teague a rough time of it.

The side character...more
Gayle

"Fever" Book one of 'Phoenix Rising Series', has been written by a new author, Joan Swan.

I bought this book in March 2012 but never got around to doing a review until now.

Our Heroine is Alyssa. She is extremely overworked at a Hospital and has been called in to cover for another Team mate. She definitely does not want to have to deal with a patient that is also a prisoner of San Quentin, Teague Creek. Things progressively get worse for Alyssa when Teague takes her as his hostage.

Our Hero, Teagu...more
  • The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat, #1)
  • Deliver Me from Darkness (Paladin Warriors, #1)
  • North of Need (Hearts of the Anemoi, #1)
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Warriors of the Rift, #1)
  • Kiss Me, I'm Irish
  • Operation: Endgame (When the Mission Ends, #1)
  • Breaking Free (SEAL TEAM Heartbreakers #1)
  • Relentless (Suspense Series, #4)
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • The Night Is Mine (The Night Stalkers, #1)
  • King of Darkness (Chronicles of Yavn, #1)
  • Lie To Me (Black Opals #2)
  • Untouched (The Amoveo Legend, #2)
  • Red Heat (Men In Uniform, #1)
  • If You Hear Her (The Ash Trilogy, #1)
  • Waltz This Way (Ex Trophy Wives #3)
  • Perfect Mate (Project Rebellion, #1)
  • SEAL of Honor (Hornet, #1)
USA Today bestselling author of passion, danger and suspense.

I live in the magnificent wine country of California's central coast with my husband and two daughters.
More about Joan Swan...
Intimate Enemies (Covert Affairs, #1) Blaze (Phoenix Rising, #2) Rush (Phoenix Rising, #3) First Temptation (Covert Affairs, #1.3) Shatter (Phoenix Rising, #4)