A Life Less Convenient: Letters To My Ex

A Life Less Convenient: Letters To My Ex

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Published (first published February 5th 2013)

Rachel
Jun 01, 2008 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people dealing with a terminal illnes
I have never read a book that lays out the struggles of an illness as insightful as A Life Less Convenient (ALLC) does. Jennifer Burke deserves a great deal of accolades for putting together this magnificent journey into the love affair a terminal illness has with one’s body. The ex presented in this book is a conglomeration of several people in the narrator’s life over the beginning years of her diagnosis. Her body is taken over and controlled by Lupus, and her relationships provide the emotion...more
Larry
I must be missing something. It seems like a story of self-obsession. I know from my own involvement with fibromyalgia that much of such conditions is just focusing too much on the illness. Maybe that is not the author's problem and I just completely missed the point. I didn't find it interesting reading, though it was well-composed.
Bianca
It wasreally something new to read, it shows the struggles of an illness very insightful. But at times I had the feeling the person telling was rather.selfcentered with her developed obsessions. Maybe you.simply become like that, when your body betrays you. Rather depressing read actually.
Karli
I was intrigued by the concept of this book, but the execution fell flat for me. I felt like I was reading someone's unedited diary or box of letters kept under the bed. Some of it interesting, most of it not.
Morgan
A novel about love, sex, and chronic illness, written by a disabled femme author? Yes, please! Jennifer Clare Burke’s depiction of everyday life with chronic illness resonated deeply with me and I loved it!
Melissa Sears
Melissa Sears marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
RJ
RJ marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Cass
Cass marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Connie McElfresh
Connie McElfresh marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jun 09, 2014
Reginia
Reginia marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Abbie
Abbie marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Leah Horlick
Leah Horlick marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Larsen
Larsen marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Trixie
Trixie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Giulietta
Giulietta marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2012
Holly
Holly added it
Jun 22, 2012
Visible: A Femmethology, Volume One Visible: A Femmethology, Volume Two Visible: A Femmethology, Volume 1 Kicked Out