Start by marking “Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)

Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love #1)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,244 Ratings  ·  254 Reviews
"A young lady with a fortune is subject to all sorts of untoward attentions by the worst sort of vagrants." — Aunt Allegra

A lesson Tabitha Timmons, a penniless spinster, has never needed to heed. That is, until she is left a vast fortune payable only upon her marriage to the very respectable Mr. Barkworth—a match that offers little chance of discovering exactly what her au
Hardcover, Large Print, 288 pages
Published July 6th 2012 by Thorndike Press (first published May 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Along Came a Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Along Came a Duke

A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanA Night Like This by Julia QuinnThief of Shadows by Elizabeth HoytThe Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer AshleyA Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare
2012 Historical Romance Novels
102nd out of 264 books — 675 voters
The Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer AshleyA Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanA Night Like This by Julia QuinnThief of Shadows by Elizabeth HoytA Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare
Historical Romance Novels 2012
47th out of 199 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

Christina ~ Brunette Reader

Country spinster Tabitha (Tabby) Timmons must marry a man chosen by her deceased uncle in order to inherit a vast fortune. At an inn, on her way to London, she meets the devil-may-care Duke of Preston, a charming young man afflicted by a dry cynical wit, a severe case of incredible good looks and a mysterious aversion to consuming meals alone. A peculiar bond is soon formed and Preston will do anything possible to save his Tabby from a dull marriage.
In all the ensuing mayhem, a special mention g
Dina
This wasn't the most historically accurate romance novel I've read, but it was so much fun that I decided to stop nitpicking and enjoy the ride read.

It was my first book by this author, but you can wager that it won't be my last.
Issa
Jan 21, 2013 Issa rated it it was ok
Along Came a Duke is the first in the Rhymes with Love series. Tabitha Timmons is a country miss who is well past the normal marriage age, she has no desire to marry. That is until her maternal uncle’s death leaves her an heiress, subject to her marrying the man of his choice, Mr. Reginald Barkworth, before she turns 25. That happy day, of course, is only weeks away.

Along the way she meets Christopher Seldon, the Duke of Preston. Preston is a young man who spends his time gambling, drinking, wag
Lisarenee
Jun 08, 2012 Lisarenee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Sir, I will have you know, I never intend to go seeking a husband and am quite content with that notion." There, she'd managed her mind, and fortified by her first success she continued unabashedly, "Marriage offers no benefits to a lady, save leaving her a servant to a man's fickle whims and his selfish demands."

What a difference a day or even a few hours can make...

Tabitha Timmons was the daughter of a Vicar. When he passed, she was taken in by her Uncle and his wife. They hadn't done so ou
Sophie Barnes
Jul 02, 2012 Sophie Barnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Elizabeth Boyle and there's no doubt that I'll be coming back for more - I'm absolutely thrilled to have discovered an author who can match Julia Quinn in terms of keeping me up late at night thinking, "just another few pages..."
When Tabitha Timmons is pronounced an heiress, she immediately sees it as her golden opportunity to escape the care of her overbearing aunt and uncle who have been enjoying her company as their personal maid. There's a catch though -
NinaReader
Oct 25, 2013 NinaReader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful lovely funny story.

I was left in stitches laughing when in a span of a greeting and a dance, the Duke called Tabitha's soon to be fiancee Mr. Barkworth...
Barkley
Barkling
Barkhall
Barkton
Barkless
...and despite trying to correct him, he still managed to call him...
Barkfool. Ahahaha

Apparently it doesn't take much for me to like the joke
Pepa
Está escrito con ese toque divertido que tiene la autora, pero se queda flojo, o al menos, a mí no me lo ha parecido.
El problema es que se queda a las puertas en todo.... con buenos protagonistas, que para mí, la autora ha desaprovechado... me hubiera gustado saber más de él y también más de la vida de ella (la cenicienta del cuento) la trama también se queda en nada..... Y claro, esos enamoramientos espontáneos no me van nada.
Muy buenos secundarios que supongo que serán los próximos protagonis
Kez Elizabeth
Jan 30, 2013 Kez Elizabeth rated it did not like it
So I'm pretty down with the whole regency romance novel formula, and most of the time I can find aspects of a novel from this genre to enjoy. Not so with this latest offering from Elizabeth Boyle. The problem for me was the protagonists. Tabitha Timmons is apparently your quintessential vicar's daughter: chaste, moral, bit of a stick up her butt. Which apparently excuses the fact that one touch by our "hero" results in her dissolving into a pile of tragic, oh so feminine, oh so fluttery goo. He ...more
Mariana
Apr 18, 2016 Mariana rated it liked it
I started with the 4th Rhymes of Love book. The story of Louisa was great! Then, I read the 5th book about her twin sister Lavinia. It was pretty good. Only after that have I now purchased the first 3. I would have never continued the series if I would have started with this 1st one. I hope the 2nd is better.
Angela
Apr 27, 2016 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books where I can't tell if the author's writing style is overly descriptive, or if there was a push to reach a certain word count. Either way it all added up to one thing: a tedious, long-winded read.

My Likes:
The story itself, if only in outline form, isn't bad. Being somewhat of a Cinderella tale, there are greedy relatives, loyal friends, a conceited near-fiance (and his overbearing mama), and a prince charming who, most of the time, is anything but charming. It only give
Chuckie Palmer-Patel
Jun 09, 2012 Chuckie Palmer-Patel rated it it was ok
I got a little bored, to tell the truth. The dialogue was bland, and the interaction between the main characters was initially very weak. A large part of the book is based on miscommunications (between the main characters, but also between other characters), an element of romance fiction that I always found frustrating.
IzamaRi H. Fabela

Ya saben que soy fiel seguidora de este género y que por regla general soy muy exigente con estas historias. Y desde hace un tiempo, todas las novelas que había leído de este género no terminaban de gustarme por una u otra cosa.

Así que la pesimista de mí, pensé que me iba a pasar lo mismo con este libro. Que iba a tener algo que hiciera que no me gustara del todo, pero gran error el mío, pues este libro ha logrado regresarme la fe en este género.

- ¿Por qué sonríes? - le preguntó Tabitha. Preston
Jen Meegan
Oct 26, 2012 Jen Meegan rated it liked it
I must be frank. While I enjoy reading romance novels, especially those with a historical bent (Regencies, Georgian, et al)...Along Came a Duke was not the type I would have purchased had I been given a chance to read the preview chapters. But this was a Vine selection and as such, I only had the cover image and the back cover description to go on. It also had the benefit of a recommendation by Julia Quinn, one of my long-time favorite Regency writers. Let's just say I expected one sort of Regen ...more
LuvGirl
2.5 stars.I was laughing out loud and liking the fluffiness of this book in the beginning, but it got tedious after a while. The story needed a little more depth. It read like a traditional regency. Card board cut out characters and a depth-less story had me wishing I didn't waste my time on this one.
Rachel C.
The plot was a kind of a madcap muddle. Also, a historical romance writer should know that "a bit of muslin" is used to describe prostitutes, not ladies.
Bookworm1858
Elizabeth Boyle books are pretty much must-reads for me so the title, cover, and plot didn't really matter to me. I saw her name and that was sufficient. However if it did matter, I think the duke part would be very enticing. I once read that romance books with duke in the title sold better and I believe that; I know I like books when the man is of high rank, not that a mere mister can't be a good hero, of course...

Anyway on to the book itself: I suffered some confusion in the beginning just wit
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
The same day that the very respectable vicar's daughter Miss Tabitha Timmons tells the insufferable, yet horribly alluring Mr Preston that she has no need to get married, she finds herself unexpectedly engaged to a gentleman she has never met. But she can't get the enticing Mr Preston and the feelings he evokes in her out of her mind and another chance encounter that ends with a wager and a kiss leaves not only Tabitha's head spinning.

This is my first Elizabeth Boyle read, but it won't be my las
Natalia
Vikki Vaught
Vikki’s Musings

It has been a while since I have read a book by Elizabeth Boyle. I am so glad I picked Along Came a Duke to re-enter Ms. Boyle’s amazing writing world. I thoroughly enjoyed being transported back to Regency England in this wonderful story. Elizabeth Boyle does not disappoint!

This is a fast-paced romance from start to finish. In fact, while listening to it, I had a difficult time stopping to take care of mundane tasks. This book has a sweetly developing love story, yet Ms. Boyle ke
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
1st read by Boyle and I was thoroughly entertained all the way to the end. I had many laugh out loud moments. Boyle's had me clamoring for more. Preston has me enchanted and Tabby is a jewel full of non lady like qualities for the ton. Which has me loving her all the more. Now her relations earned the dubious pleasure of being despised.
LaFleurBleue
Jan 29, 2014 LaFleurBleue rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-histo, e-book
This is definitely a light, slightly fluffy but rather funny romance. Not the one to read, for a stickler to historical authenticity, nor for someone looking for deeply moving feelings or strong multi-dimensional characters. There still are some mistakes, words missing, repetitions of words, that should have been edited.
That said, I rather enjoyed my reading of this book, which felt like a bedroom farce by many aspects. Many scenes are very long, over a few chapters; people come and go, the dial
Sharyn
Jan 02, 2015 Sharyn rated it liked it
A perfect book for starting 2015. Been on my shelf for awhile as I was collecting the series. Found 1 and 3 on my shelf and got 2 at the library so these will be the first 3 books of the year. I have enjoyed all her other series so I am reading this one. Good dialogue, but maybe too many misunderstandings. Lo0ved the Duke of Preston, finding his backstory was lovely and psychologically explained his personality. Also Mr. Muggles, an adorable dog who helps the plot along. Tabitha Timmons, the her ...more
kris
Sep 23, 2013 kris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
EVERYONE IS A MINX AND / OR A "SLIP O' MUSLIN" (??) AND THEN THEY BONE.

THE END.
Courtnie
Mar 01, 2016 Courtnie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 20%.

This is what particularly annoyed me:

"Preston leaned forward and smiled. "Miss Timmons, I never regret a good sin."

The lady gaped at him. When she recovered, it was with a sputtering, spinsterly reply of shock. "Well, I never! A good sin, indeed. Is there such a thing?"

Staunch heroines, ones who eskew love and marriage and have pretty rigid idea of 'sin' as prescribed from someone other than the heroine, are among my least favorite. I will revisit at a later date when I have more pat
Laura V.
No me gustó. No me voy a explayar mucho en el porqué, porque ni yo me entiendo, pero a grandes rasgos puedo decir que el romance me pareció poco creíble.

Tabitha un persona bastante tonta, insulsa, semi irritante (view spoiler)
Chy
Jul 10, 2012 Chy rated it it was ok
I couldn't resist; I had to read a "historical" romance novel in the middle of reading Delusions of Gender. Had to. Couldn't be helped. And I gotta say, this cover was like a spoonful of sugar on the entertainment. (It is not the cover on the copy I have. Like, at all.)

{chortles merrily} I mean, even look at the name of the series: Rhymes with Love. Not love, but something that rhymes with it. "Shove," I think.

I keep forgetting one star is "didn't like it." It was entertaining as hell, just...pr
SidneyKay
Jul 19, 2012 SidneyKay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-regency
Gush-o-rama alert!

Yes, you are about to hear some gushing! Squeal. What a joy it was when I opened Ms. Boyle's latest book, Along Came a Duke. At first, I wondered if I would be able to like the hero. The Duke of Preston, our hero, is painted as rather a foolish fellow. And, along with his friend, Roxley, who seems to have a strong liking for the drink, I thought, "what a couple of buffoons, and these are the heroes?" However, by the time Preston and Tabitha have a rather lengthy dinner, I found
Nath
Michelle
Jun 03, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While writing this I’m still not quite sure how I should rate this book. I’m a big fan of Elizabeth Boyle and have thoroughly enjoyed her previous books (4 stars!). I thought Tabitha was a great character: she was independent, accepted that she had a hard life but made the most of it and found joy if the life she was leading, was outspoken and let no one intimidate her (4 stars!). Unfortunately I’m a little iffy on our hero. Preston was funny and sarcastic and tried hard to overcome a tragic chi ...more
Mary Gramlich
Jul 31, 2012 Mary Gramlich rated it it was amazing
Am I seeking perfection in all things or just my love?

Tabitha Timmons has been forced to life her life under the very firm hand of her aunt and uncle who see her as a free ride not a loving niece. Tabitha longs for freedom from her country life and dreams of what wonderful things exist outside the confines of this restricted life.

Christopher Seldon, The Duke of Preston has no checks nor balances for his life and grabs every day with enthusiasm. Tabitha could not be any further from what he think
  • Between the Duke and the Deep Blue Sea (Royal Entourage, #1)
  • Bedding Lord Ned (Duchess of Love, #1)
  • The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne (Fairbourne Quartet, #1)
  • A Gentleman Says "I Do" (The Rogues' Dynasty, #5)
  • Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal (The Duke's Daughters, #2; Windham, #5)
  • When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)
  • Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers, #2)
  • The Tattooed Duke (The Writing Girls, #3)
  • The Lady Most Willing... (Lady Most..., #2)
  • Confessions from an Arranged Marriage (The Burgundy Club, #4)
  • One Naughty Night (The Scandalous St. Claires, #1)
  • The Way to a Duke's Heart (The Truth About the Duke, #3)
  • How to Dance with a Duke (Ugly Ducklings, #1)
  • Lessons from a Scandalous Bride (Forgotten Princesses #2)
  • What a Duke Wants
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • Return of the Viscount (Brides of Redemption, #1)
  • The Revenge of Lord Eberlin (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #2)
19842
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.
More about Elizabeth Boyle...

Rhymes With Love (7 books)
  • And the Miss Ran Away With The Rake (Rhymes With Love, #2)
  • Have You Any Rogues? (Rhymes With Love, #2.5)
  • If Wishes Were Earls (Rhymes With Love, #3)
  • The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane (Rhymes With Love, #4)
  • The Knave of Hearts (Rhymes With Love #5)
  • Untitled (Rhymes With Love, #6)