The Reality Slap: Finding Peace and Fulfillment When Life Hurts

The Reality Slap: Finding Peace and Fulfillment When Life Hurts

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The “reality slap” takes many different forms. Sometimes, it’s more like a punch: the death of a loved one, a serious illness, a divorce, the loss of a job, a freak accident, or a shocking betrayal. Sometimes it’s a little gentler. Envy, loneliness, resentment, failure, disappointment, and rejection can sting just as much. But whatever form your reality slap takes, one thi...more
Published March 1st 2012 by New Harbinger Publications (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Reality Slap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reality Slap

Joanne
I cannot recommend 'The Reality Slap' highly enough. I was slightly concerned when I first started to read it but as I settled down and took proper notice it soon became obvious what a well observed and very helpful book this is. It has already made a difference to my way of life, and it will be kept close at hand for me to refer to often.
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
I first came across the work of Dr Russ Harris when I started listening to his 'Mindfulness of the Breath' CD. I've had great success with his CD so I was looking forward to reading one of his many books, The Reality Slap.

A 'Reality Slap' can be something that happens in life like an illness, fire, bankruptcy, divorce or loss of a loved one. Dr Russ Harris is an Australian and I responded immediately to his down to earth writing style, and he gave me much food for thought.

I guess you could call...more
Belinda Munro
I came across this book purely by accident when browsing the bookshop and I am really glad I found it. I don't usually buy 'self help' books as such, and the ones I have bought I never finished due to loss of interest. The thing I really liked about this book is that the author would regularly acknowledge that it isn't just the simple act of 'positive thinking' that allows us to find fulfillment in life. Rather, the book teaches us to find peace when we experience negative emotions instead of tr...more
Paul Sheppard
Realistic self help book without all the new age nonsense.
IrenesChristianReviews
The Reality Slap by Russ Harris is a book about how to handle incidents that come into our life that we are not ready for.

You have in your mind something that should happen. Whether it is someone showing up at a certain time or wanting your son to be good at sports. When these do not come to be you want to change the reality into what you were wishing would have happened.

This book helps you deal with the emotions that go along with the “reality slaps” you encounter. First you have to go through...more
Eva Musby
I read this from the point of a view of a parent of a child who's suffered from anorexia, and who's on the lookout for resources for other parents.
Life certainly hurts when your child has an eating disorder and you fear for her life, and many parents find themselves quite traumatized even after their child is well.
This book may help you to come to terms with the realities you are living, so that you can 'lead a life based on presence and purpose'in spite of the unpleasant feelings you may have....more
Maria Wheeler
Nice reminder of concepts that I believe we have all learned in some way, on some level...most helpful to me was remembering to let my feelings come and go instead of inviting them to stay.
Nicole
I won this book in a first reads giveaway...

I don't think I'm in a place in my life where I need this book. ;) Or perhaps my personality doesn't mesh well with self-help books, since I admit I rarely read them.

That said, I did find there to be some practical advice given, and a wealth of scenarios to compare your life to, with ideas for how to deal with the unpleasant realities of life.

I think I'll send this book off to a friend in need, but I enjoyed spending some time being grateful for the f...more
MizzSandie
This book was fine, ok, though I didn't really have any epiphanies reading it and towards the end Thoth it a bit repetitive.
That might very well be because I'm well acquainted with the topic, the mindfuln, the cognitive and the external using approaches and while I think greatly of them, and use them in my own work, in the form it has here, there's just not much to peak my interest, not many new angles.

So an easy book, useful too, but probably more for a 'beginner' in the field :)
Donna Parker
Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for this, but it seemed all fairly trite, obvious or perhaps oblivious would be a better term and just old hat. I wanted to believe this wasn't just another attempt to cash in when people are hurting and vulnerable, but there seems to be a lot of that, the pain and the exploitation of said pain. I am going to give Harris a nod for at least reiterating help.
Samantha
I was skeptical about reading a self help book, but it exceeded my expectations. With lots of useful exercises to ground ones-self and put negative thoughts into perspective, the book is a practical approach to dealing with situations when life doesn't meet your expectations. I would recommend this book for both those facing serious and relatively minor challenges in life as a way to manage.

Ken
Excellent book on how to deal with difficult situations using the principles of ACT. The book contains many useful exercises which I have personally found helpful. I've read "The happiness trap" by the same author - while some material was similar this book contained additional material and was definitely worth the read
Julia
More of the same from Russ Harris, but a good read nevertheless with some good strategies to deal with the stuff life throws at you. Based on Mindfulness, and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.
Lisa
Just saw Russ talk about this book live at a conference. He is awesome, and all of his books are awesome. Start with "The Happiness Trap" and then this one. Great stuff.
Choco
Review to come.
Mats
Mats marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Carlene Alexander
Carlene Alexander is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Zoe Zulakis
Zoe Zulakis is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Kimberlea
Kimberlea marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Bridget
Bridget is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
Carissa Doré
Carissa Doré is currently reading it
Raznoraznereci
Raznoraznereci marked it as to-read
Drew Mccarthy
Drew Mccarthy marked it as to-read
Travis
Travis added it
Rita Gonzalez
Rita Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Paul Bottrill
Paul Bottrill is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Wendy Bartlett
Wendy Bartlett marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
  • Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • Freaking Out: Real-Life Stories about Anxiety
  • Thinking Wild, Its Gifts of Insight: A Way to Make Peace with My Shadow
  • Ten Days to Self-Esteem
  • Disarming the Narcissist: Surviving and Thriving with the Self-Absorbed
  • Cheaper Than Therapy: How To Forgive and Overcome Anger, Anxiety, Fear and Stress
  • Help for Women Under Stress: Preserving Your Sanity
  • Haldol and Hyacinths: A Bipolar Life
  • Yoga for Emotional Trauma: Meditations and Practices for Healing Pain and Suffering
  • The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms
  • Chris Will... The Story of a Boy and Autism Unawareness
  • Random Obsessions: Trivia You Need To Know
  • Ever After: Life Lessons Learned in My Castle of Chaos
  • Darkness Is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness
  • Good Self, Bad Self: Transforming Your Worst Qualities into Your Biggest Assets
  • Your Magnetic Mind
  • Moving Forward: Taking the Lead in Your Life
  • Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed: Growing Up With Undiagnosed Autism
The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living: A Guide to ACT The Confidence Gap ACT Made Simple: An Easy-To-Read Primer on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy ACT with Love: Stop Struggling, Reconcile Differences, and Strengthen Your Relationship with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy The Illustrated Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living