Start by marking “Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul” as Want to Read:
Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul

Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,129 Ratings  ·  196 Reviews
Safe. Comfortable. Happy.
Words we all love. Feelings we want. Even crave. We may love God, but being that he's invisible, words like "comfortable" seem to feel better faster.
We are all chasing something. Our hearts were made to run hard and fast after things that move us. But as a generation we are all beginning to stir and wake up, identifying that these words don't sat
Published April 3rd 2012 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Anything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anything

Malia
Mar 18, 2014 Malia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, nonfiction
"God, I'll do anything" is the prayer encouraged in this personal testimony by Jennie Allen. She shares transparently about her journey of faith and how her family's life was changed when she and her husband Zac decided to surrender everything to the Lord. The story is inspiring and real, and her writing is casual with little pop-culture plugs thrown in as bonus, resembling the language of a blog.

However~

I read this book simultaneously with The Gospel According to Jesus by John MacArthur, and t
Amy
Nov 29, 2012 Amy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Kelly
Apr 22, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would you dare to pray Anything to God? A scary thought that this book made me wonder if I am brave enough to say to God. Another question the books asks "What if the thing we are trying to impress him with was the very thing keeping us from him? Often times we find ourselves saying yes to sooo many things saying we are doing it for him when really we need to think about the motive. God is with us always He is where we are, we are made for him and we tend to forget this. I am a woman that strugg ...more
Becca Christensen

I was truly sad to finish this book. Jennie Allen has a way of honestly, openly revealing all the Lord is teaching her in a way that challenges and inspires her reader. I'm stingy with my goodreads stars but she earned every one of the 5 with this one.
Becky
Jul 26, 2013 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful, wonderful book that every christian would greatly benefit from reading. It's a book about a prayer of surrender: that we would give our live to do "anything" God calls us to do. Through this book (and Bible study that I did along with it) I have seen the selfishness in my own heart. I have seen how through my sinfulness and living in this culture, I feel that I'm entitled to certain things that make no difference in light of eternity. I am praying a prayer of "anything" and ...more
Meagan Myhren-bennett
ANYTHING
The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul
By Jennie Allen

Often our familiarity with the concept of God keeps us from the reality of God and Jesus. We bring them out for special occasions, like a holiday decoration that has become a tradition over the years. But how do we make God and Jesus a real and tangible part of our being and our life?

In Anything Jennie Allen takes us on a journey, a journey of turning over our lives to God. Until we give Him our anything we are incomplete. We will
Aimee
Jun 24, 2014 Aimee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I approached this book from a different, less evangelical perspective than many of the other reviewers. I enjoy reading religious nonfiction, especially memoirs. The basic message of Allen's book was interesting, but the chapters read as disjointed and lacking in detail. To me, they read a bit like expanded blog posts.

This isn't the first Christian writing I've read recently where the white author experiences a call to adopt in Africa. I feel a little disturbed at the tone taken by the authors-
Ian
Aug 12, 2015 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more than Jennie Allen's personal memoir on how she came to understand what "dying to self" means. It's a practical Spirit-filled guide to the:

- factors that inhibit us from living such a life,
- what praying "Anything" means,
- what one's life might look like having prayed it.

The book is written in three sections as I've loosely defined them above. And this edition has a very focused and practical study guide that can be used individually and/or in a small group. I found the study very us
Susan Henn
Aug 17, 2015 Susan Henn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
8/20015 The author presents herself and others as examples of the exciting life changes that happen when a person is willing to do anything for God. She presents what happened in her life when she took a leap of faith and told God she would do anything He called her to do. She now speaks to groups and writes books and materials for others willing to take a similar leap in faith. Although reluctant and sometimes with much kicking and screaming, a willingness to do anything for God is how I have t ...more
Sunflower
Jul 29, 2015 Sunflower rated it it was amazing
When "Anything" was first released, I quickly bought it. By the time I was finished with this book, every chapter was dog-earred, highlighted, underlined, notes on the side, spine was well bent and I was pretty sure I would have to buy another book if I wanted to loan it out to anyone since the copy I had was "well personalized" to the point that it wouldn't make much sense to others due to the amount of reading and marking I had done.

Now an updated version has been released and although I didn'
Merv Budd
Jun 17, 2012 Merv Budd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennie Allen is a pastor’s wife who, along with her husband, dared to pray a dangerous prayer. It was simple and profound. It was a prayer that told God that they would do anything that he wanted. They simply wanted to be obedient and faithful to the life he wanted to lead them in.

I found the book challenging and comforting. Jennie found that, yes, the prayer of anything is dangerous and scary, but the God to whom it is prayed knows us. The life to which He calls is always better than the one we
Bethel Burton
Jul 16, 2015 Bethel Burton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jennie Allen preaches her guts out!!! I was afraid to read this, which is part indicator of how much I needed the truth spoken over me. Jennie has a way of cutting directly to the heart of the matter while sharing in the vulnerability. God is certainly alive and well and moving through Jennie's words.
Leah
Jan 15, 2014 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In college, we were sold out for Christ, ready to do whatever He asked. Then life hits. We get married and have a family of our own. All we want is comfort and safety, a life of blessing with as little struggle as possible. And we stop praying "anything." This book was a hard read for me, not because of how it was written, but because of the content. Jennie Allen challenges all her readers to begin praying "anything" again.... And that is scary to do. Candid and entirely relatable, this book is ...more
Callie
Jul 31, 2015 Callie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Wow. I just finished reading Anything by Jennie Allen, and there is so much going on in my head and heart right now.

Anything is a book that first released about three years ago, but a new expanded edition has been released, and this is the one I read. In it Allen talks abutter family's journey to truly be willing to do anything God called them to - to be open to His plans for their lives instead of just being stuck on their own.

The book starts out with exploring some of the things that keep us f
Kathleen E.
Jul 10, 2015 Kathleen E. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Friday, July 10, 2015
Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul by Jennie Allen, 2015
revised and updated, includes Bible Study

"You make beautiful things out of dust. You make beautiful things out of us."

Redefining Hands
Available in the Potter's hands to be made into a new vessel ~ not the one I think I need nor the picture of the life I thought I was supposed to have. Join this beautiful journey with God. I like this quote:

"God was writing a story for my life I never would have writt
Michele Morin
Jun 17, 2015 Michele Morin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the age of Twitter and of typing on micro-keyboards with one’s thumbs, we are a concise people, and we see this in the title of Jennie Allen’s book, Anything, about a one-word prayer that will change everything. Reading her heart in its pages, my mind was carried to the historical prayer of Betty Scott Stam, a missionary to China who became a martyr in 1934:

“Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes
All my own desires and hopes and accept Thy will for my life.
I give myself, my life, my a
Samantha
Jun 16, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the opportunity to read and review the book, “Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul”, by Jennie Allen.

The book is an updated version of her first book with the same title. While her new book is similar, she writes about how her faith continued to grow and her relationship with God became deeper. She “let go, and let God” take over her life, for good. Her book is a prayer to surrender, a prayer to stop you from pursing a safe, boring life and start living the life God intend
Linda
Jun 14, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anything...
How can I possibly pray "Anything, LORD?" Those kind of words have always filled me with fear. What might God do with me? Where might He send me? What if I don't want to do that? But how can I disobey my God?

We live life chasing things of the world trying to fill those empty places inside of us. For a moment, that new home, the nice car, the cute dress, the different job seems to make us feel better, happier, more content...for.a.moment. Then we revert back to feeling the same way...
Sarahsmithstorm
Jun 17, 2015 Sarahsmithstorm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You may be familiar with Jenni Allen as the founder of IF Gathering, which gathers women around the world to give up anything and everything to follow God.

Having done two of her Bible studies, reading Restless and participating in her IF gatherings, her re-launched book "Anything" is better than its first version. She begs and prays, "God I will do anything you have called of me." This prayer we can see has dramatically changed her life and has impacted eternity. In Anything Jennie now includes
Naomi
Jun 30, 2015 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul" by Jennie Allen details her journey of offering God everything by praying "God we will do anything. Anything" (pg. xiii). She shares bits of her story to show how she came to know Jesus, and how finally got the point of being willing to offer everything for God's service by being willing to do anything He wanted.

Divided into three parts, she shares openly and honestly about how she arrived at the place of anything. The first part focuses on
JoJo Sutis
Dec 14, 2015 JoJo Sutis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anything…not a complicated word.
An indication of our willingness.
But turn that word into our hearts cry to God, and it changes everything.
Jennie Allen shares her own story of ‘Anything’ and the amazing display of God that followed…
But the story doesn’t stop there, because she invites and encourages readers to go on their own personal ‘anything’ journey with God.
Anything may seem totally frightening to you…after all, we much prefer things that are safe, things that make us feel comfortable an
Janet
Aug 09, 2015 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christan, favorites
Anything means “fill in the blank”, right?
Well the book’s name is “Anything”,
and it is about promising God that we would do anything,
which means that God gets to “fill in the blank”, not us.
I just finished reading this book.
Actually I just finished reading, studying, and praying this book.
This book is a bit different from most books.
This book can change your life.
It can link you up with a network, a movement,
of other people who promised God to do “anything”.
The author of “Anything” is Jennie Al
Leah
Apr 13, 2015 Leah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, memoir
I loved the message of this book. I really did. It was hard for me to read, though. The writing seemed a little too all over the place for me. There was some connections throughout, but not enough to keep me grounded. Overall, great content but poorly organized.
Megan
Jun 27, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I really, really enjoyed and was challenged by Jennie Allen's "Anything: The Prayer that Unlocked My God and My Soul". I found the book accessible and deep.
Allen and her husband started a journey where they told God they would do anything he asked of them. It started a movement of people in their church who also began to prayer that prayer. Allen shows through anecdotes that anything looks very different for different people. For some it meant going overseas and living life in ano
Barbara Harris
May 13, 2016 Barbara Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-book-list
This book absolutely wrecked my world! All about surrendering to what God has for you no matter the cost. I encourage you to pick up this book and let God stir your heart to letting Him use you.
Courtney Louise
Sep 17, 2014 Courtney Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really made an impact on my life. It opened my eyes to letting go and what that truly means. I realized that my testimony is not to glorify myself, but to glorify God.
Sheri Joyce
Jan 27, 2015 Sheri Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read in the sense that it was as though I were sitting across a table having coffee with Jennie as we mulled some of the deep thoughts of igniting our faith. Yet, the topic itself is one that did give me pause. Letting go of a faith that is more interested in pleasing those around me and on fire for running genuinely, passionately after God.. that should give everyone pause. What does that look like? What is holding me back? Where am I stuck? Do I care more about man's thoughts and approval ...more
Sherri Hayes
Jan 10, 2014 Sherri Hayes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, to have the faith to pray the Anything Prayer and mean it! Please, God, give me the courage and faith to do ANYTHING you ask me to do.
Angela Kalnins
Jan 12, 2016 Angela Kalnins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed this book from a friend.

“Anything” by Jennie Allen.

I’ve never read any of Ms. Allen’s work before. However, my friend insisted, “She’s amazing!”

Read the entire book in two days. Intend to go back now and do the study part which I skipped the first time through. Ms. Allen IS Amazing! Very easy read, very engaging and quite moving!

Made a few notes in a notebook—ordinarily write in the margins, but it’s not my book—will probably have to buy my own copy of “Anything” so I transfer my though
Micah Williams
Dec 21, 2015 Micah Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jennie Allen shares her incredible story of praying "I'll do anything, Lord". Her story is incredible and inspiring. More than that Jennie encourages the reader to find their own "anything". She offers a different perspective on trials and life in general. Her passion for Christ and telling others about Him pours off of each page. This is a hard to put down book, and I'd completely life changing. The entire book comes back to a question Jennie asks, "If God is real, then what?" I definitely reco ...more
  • What Women Fear: Walking in Faith that Transforms
  • Interrupted: An Adventure in Relearning the Essentials of Faith
  • Grace for the Good Girl: Letting Go of the Try-Hard Life
  • You're Already Amazing: Embracing Who You Are, Becoming All God Created You to Be
  • Glimpses of Grace: Treasuring the Gospel in Your Home
  • Surprised by Motherhood: Everything I Never Expected about Being a Mom
  • Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl
  • Abundant Simplicity: Discovering the Unhurried Rhythms of Grace
  • Wrecked: When a Broken World Slams into your Comfortable Life
  • Rhinestone Jesus: Saying Yes to God When Sparkly, Safe Faith Is No Longer Enough
Jennie Allen is a passionate leader and visionary following God's call to inspire women to encounter the invisible God. With a Master's in Biblical Studies from DTS, Jennie is the author of two Bible studies, Stuck, a CBA best-seller, and Chase, and the ECPA "New Author of the Year" winner of Anything and Restless, which also includes a DVD-based study. The founder of IF: Gathering, Jennie, and he ...more
More about Jennie Allen...

“You have to thank God for the seemingly good and the seemingly bad because really, you don't know the difference [until we get to heaven].” 14 likes
“From His eternal perspective, it's tolerable to allow our temporary dreams to fall apart.” 9 likes