Start by marking “True Colors (Elder Races, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
True Colors (Elder Races, #3.5)

True Colors (Elder Races #3.5)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  4,765 Ratings  ·  299 Reviews
Meeting your soulmate? Great. Preventing your possible murder? Even better.

Alice Clark, a Wyr and schoolteacher, has had two friends murdered in as many days, and she's just found the body of a third. She arrives at the scene only minutes before Gideon Riehl, a wolf Wyr and current detective in the Wyr Division of Violent Crime—and, as Alice oh-so-inconveniently recognizes
Published December 13th 2011 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about True Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Colors

Katie Michaels
Dec 10, 2011 Katie Michaels rated it really liked it
The Elder Races has quickly become one of my auto-read paranormal romance series. And here, Thea Harrison proves that she can rock my world, even with a scant 70 pages of a novella.

This story focuses on a wolf-shifter named Gideon. He's a detective who investigates Wyr-related crimes. And now he is on the hunt for a serial killer. It's at a crime scene that he first crosses paths with Alice. She was friends with the latest victim. At first, he thinks to just question her as a witness, but as soo
Stacie
Oct 08, 2016 Stacie rated it really liked it
A very nice short story addition to the series. I do love myself a wolf! Happy reading.
Zeek
Jan 17, 2012 Zeek rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr, shifters
3.5 stars. I didnt think this was as bad as everyone is saying. It's short (novella. actually shorter than a novella really), and that always takes it down a notch for me, but I enjoyed the pairing in this story.

From the Amazon Blurb:

Alice Clark, a Wyr and schoolteacher, has had two friends murdered in as many days, and she’s just found the body of a third. She arrives at the scene only minutes before Gideon Riehl, a wolf Wyr and current detective in the Wyr Division of Violent Crime—and, as Ali
Stacey
Dec 14, 2011 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Wow, loved it!! To me a good short-story leaves you satisfied with the journey at the end. A great short-story leaves you wanting more, wishing it hadn't ended and that it had a been a full length novel. This was a great short-story!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Gideon and Alice and hope see them take part in future Elder Races books.
Laura the Highland Hussy
Mar 28, 2012 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it really liked it

You know what's really cool about this story? The heroine is a rainbow chameleon. It seems that most shifter paranormals have predators only-wolves, dragons, big cats, etc. Sometimes it's neat to have a bit more diversity.

I loved the hero, but I've noticed Ms. Harrison has a tendency of writing great heroes.

The heroine is sweet and shy, and in a whole lot of danger without even realizing it. Her best friend is murdered and Alice finds the body. A wyr cop
Sharon ∞❥ is an angst book junkie ❥∞
Alice walks in to her best friend's apartment to find her brutally murdered and then is stalked by someone who she thinks may be the murderer. Instead it's Gideon who is a member of the WDVC (Wyr Division of Violent Crimes) and he is investigating the murders.

I really enjoyed the first part when Alice was running away from Gideon. It was pretty funny! I'm not sure how I feel about the type of Wyr she is but it definitely is interesting. Gideon is very sweet and I loved how he took care of Alice
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

This is the first Elder Races novella I read. All the novellas are set in the same world as the main series but their stories are not really key to the overall story arc. They revolve around a set of Tarot cards, imbued with old Power, that find their way to different people and allow them to meet their partner or mate.

In True Colors, a psycho is killing a certain type of Wyr shifter and one of the detectives on the case, Gideon, meets Haley, his mate in the course of the investi
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
This was a pretty sweet read.

Both characters were likable, there is really no angst, and it's insta-love. I wish it had been a bit longer though as I felt the murder mystery sort of wrapped up rather lackluster, and without a lot of explanation.

Overall I enjoyed it though!
Lulu
Mar 23, 2012 Lulu rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable novella in Thea Harrison's Elder Races series. I love visiting Harrison's alternate world with shape-shifting animals (the wyr), dark and light fae, vampires and other creatures set in present day.

Gideon Riehl, a wolf wyr, has retired from Wyr Lord Dragos Cuelebre's army where he was the alpha captain of Dragos' dogs of war. He is in the prime of life (at around 100 years old) and could have stayed decades longer in service but feels adrift, with a need for something new. He ta
Patricia
So, this one I'm going to keep it on a short leash ....

It is a novella, and in my eyes it's way too short and obvious.
I gave it a 4 stars because I enjoy very much the writing style of M. Harrison and above all, I was not disappointed.

In this story we find Alice Clark, a school teacher, Wyr kind, that after visiting a friend, is faced with her murder by a serial killer and everything points out that she's next on his list.
At the crime scene she has a surprise that frightens her in the beginning
Kelly
02/09/15 reread: I honestly adore the glimpses of *other* Wyr we get with these novellas. Gideon and Alice were smokin' and the story is riveting.

2012:
Can Thea Harrison write smokin' hot men or what? I mean, wow. Just... wow. I love the insta-mate attraction that both parties feel and I love how Riehl is driven to comfort Alice when she's so obviously distressed and heartbroken by the things that she's seen. What can I say, folks? Strong men brought to their knees by their ladies are my fiction
PepperP0t
3.5stars actually
From the very first page this fast paced novella pulls you into the intrigue with the introduction of Wyr Rainbow Chameleon & school teacher Alice Clark as she stands over the body of her dead friend. Convinced that the person she hears moving through the apartment is the killer returning she hides and is more confused when she sees him and realizes that she has dreamed of him for years and he is her destined mate, Police Detective & Wyr werewolf Gideon Riehl. The booken
AH
True Colors is a short novella in Thea Harrison’s Elder Races series. What’s nice about this story is that you really don’t need to read the other Elder Races books to get up to speed. This story can stand on its own. It gives the reader a taste of this author’s world and her writing.

True Colors focuses on the wyr pair of Alice Clark and police detective Gideon Riehl. As in the other books in the series, the wyr males are large, muscular, and very good looking alpha males. Thea Harrison wasn’t k
Erika
4.5 stars!!

Really great novella!

The suspense plot was interesting. The two main characters, Gideon and Alice, were super likable. The romance was sweet and sexy and developed just right.

Sexual Background of hero and heroine: None given about Gideon. He doesn't think about or talk about having been with OW. Emily said she had two boyfriends/lovers over the years. Gideon and Emily were mates so their connection was stronger and more intense than either had felt before.
Keri
Jan 18, 2016 Keri rated it really liked it
This was a really good quick read. What I love about Thea's writing, is you never know what she is going to bring together as far as pairings. I have to say this was pretty wacky, but it works in her world. All this really did is wet my appetite for the next full length one in the series.
Lady Heather
First read: July 22, 2012

This was a very good short story in addition to the "Elder Races" series!
I really enjoyed Gideon and Alice's story!

Second read: August 3, 2013
cute short story!
Magda
Dec 16, 2011 Magda rated it liked it
Enjoyed this short more than Serpent's Kiss.
All of the tarot explanations were skimmed, TMI.
ETA: Nobody says "Open a can of whoop ass" anymore.
Layla
*this was a buddy-read with Lady Jaye. You can read her thoughts here *

My rating: 2/5 stars
First line: “Don’t move.”
Favourite quote:“There are horrors that exist in the night, horrors that only children and demons can see. There are horrors that exist in the mind as well, that only the individual can bear witness to.”
Song of choice: Landscape by Florence and the Machine

I don’t know how I manage it but I always seem to go back to this series when it comes to the most reviews. This will be my thir
Dark Faerie Tales
Mar 01, 2012 Dark Faerie Tales rated it really liked it
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Fun little story from The Elder Races world. For those of us that can’t get enough of those adorable Wyrs.

Opening Sentence: Don’t move.

The Review:

True Colors is more of a short story than book. True Colors lands between Serpent’s Kiss and Oracle’s Moon in The Elder Races series timeline. It has nothing to do with any main characters up to this point; for which I am grateful. So, sit back and relax, this one is all for fun!

The story begins wi
Marie Ealing
Apr 16, 2012 Marie Ealing rated it really liked it
True Colors is a Novella within Thea Harrison’s Elders Series, it comes after Serpent’s Kiss. I don’t know why, but I was really excited about reading this one. Don’t get me wrong, the series is still good and I’m looking forward for what is yet to come, but for me the series had lost some of its initial charm. That said, I’m happy to tell you that True Colors lived up to my expectations. In my opinion it was almost as good as Dragon Bound and a great come back for the series.

If you read the blu
Melindeeloo
Stumbling on to a murder scene, Alice is going to need more than her Wyr talent for hiding in plain sight to escape a serial killer who has targeted her clan in the past and is now picking off her friends. Arriving too late to save the killer's latest victim, Detective Gideon Riehl of the Wyr Division of Violent Crime is determined to end the killer's spree, and his reasons become even more personal when he tracks down the witness he scented at the scene, and finds himself drawn to the shy and g ...more
Maria
Jan 18, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing
When I saw that there is a novella in the Elder Races series by Thea Harrison I couldn’t wait to read it! As the series so far, this short story doesn’t disappoint!

It starts very promising, with adventure and the development of the story is very good. We meet Alice, a very rare Wyr. She is a gentle and peaceful teacher who lives a kind of lonely life. She finds her best friend murdered and from that moment everything changes in her life. The most important? She finds her mate! Alice is so unlik
Melanie
Yet again, Thea Harrison has wowed me with her elegant writing style. While this novella is on the short side, it's definitely sweet and I thoroughly enjoyed this tale of "mates-at-first-sight".

To date in the amazing 'Elder Races' series, we've been treated to stories involving those powerful immortal alpha Wyrs, and while it's been highly entertaining reading how those often stoic individuals succumb to love and matehood it was nice for a change to get a glimpse into the world of more "normal"
Julia
Dec 14, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it
A short, sweet little novella to tide me over until the next full length Elder Races book comes out, TRUE COLORS emphasizes the "romance" in Paranormal Romance. Though we get a street level view of two Wyrs with normal jobs, and the introduction of an unexpected Wyr breed, the focus in TRUE COLORS is definitely more the universal humanity of attraction rather than any mythology.

The attraction between Gideon and Alice is the instantaneous devotion of finding a true mate, and as they meet over a
Ferdy
A short novella but well worth it.. Alice is a rare chameleon wyr who is quiet and shy by nature. She has had a tough few days as 2 of her friends who were also chameleon wyrs have been murdered. She is hearbroken when she discovers the body of another dear friend. Not long after she meets her soulmate Gideon (a wolf wyr) for the fist time, Gideon is also at the crime scene.. there is some confusion at first as she initially believes he is the murderer.. she later finds out that he is a
Tina
Mar 16, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
Thea Harrison showed a different side of her writing skills. In this novella about the Elder Races she gave the reader a romantic suspense tale with an edge of serial killing. I loved Gideon Riehl and Alice Clark together. Alice is a rainbow chameleon-oh what an imagination. I loved the book just for that fact. I wanted to have more instances where Alice used her chameleon skills just because it was so different. Gideon is a wolf and I am just a sucker for wolf shifters. I liked Gideon a lot. Th ...more
Judi
I see your true colors shining through...I feel like this could be my first singing review.

This latest offering from Thea Harrison won’t take you long to devour and if you’re a fan of the Elder races, you’ve probably already finished it.

Gideon Riehl (love the name!) is a Wyr wolf...as opposed to a werewolf. He's big, bad-ass, blond and growly. He’s also a detective in the Wyr Division of Violent Crimes and he’s on the hunt for a ritualistic serial killer.

Alice Clark is also a Wyr whose ability
Samantha
Nov 01, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it
A short e-book set in Harrison's Elder Races series. I really adored this short story. Alice Clark is a rare species of shifters. Her kind has been hunted to the point of near extinction, so when a serial killer starts targeting her small community of shifters she's assigned a personal body guard, wolf shifter Gideon Riehl. This was a really fast paced short story, I figured out who the serial killer was fairly early in the story but the ride was still really fun. Gideon and Alice were both grea ...more
Karyn
Mar 30, 2015 Karyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal, 2010-13
The problem with this series is the books all start up with so much promise. Harrison builds up the suspense really well, and then it all goes haywire once the sexing starts.

she was so flagrant with color and voluptuousness he could only gaze at her in passionate awe.

This was pretty much where i started guffawing and it all went downhill from there. The climax, like in all the books so far, was a watered down curry that makes you wish you'd just read the beginning and imagined the rest of the
  • Hard Mated (Shifters Unbound, #3.5)
  • A Tale of Two Dragons (Dragon Kin, #0.2)
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)
  • Wild Invitation (Psy-Changeling, #0.5, 4.5, 9.5, 10.5)
  • Howl For It (Pride, #0.5)
  • Outfoxed (Cougar Falls, #4)
  • His Darkest Salvation (Jaguar Warriors, #3)
  • Chosen by Fate (Para-Ops, #2)
  • Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell, #2.5)
I write paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and other stuff. I taught myself to read when I was four. That was around the time I tried to ride my tricycle to work. I wasn't sure where work was, but I knew it had to be interesting if people went there every day. Now I combine my love of books with work, and I don't have to ride my tricycle to get there. My Elder Races series began May, 2011. You can ...more
More about Thea Harrison...

Elder Races (9 books)
  • Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1)
  • Storm's Heart (Elder Races, #2)
  • Serpent's Kiss (Elder Races, #3)
  • Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4)
  • Lord's Fall (Elder Races, #5)
  • Kinked (Elder Races, #6)
  • Night's Honor (Elder Races, #7)
  • Midnight's Kiss (Elder Races, #8)
  • Shadow's End (Elder Races, #9)

“There were two kinds of storms, Alice thought. One was a friendly kind that you could enjoy watching out the window with a cup of tea. It crashed around in the sky with theatricality but no real malice.
This storm was the other, the killing kind. There are horrors that exist in the night, the bitter wind said, horrors that only children and demons can see. There are horrors that exist in the mind as well, that only the individual can bear witness to. The winter wind sang of things that the mind did not quite remember but that fear never forgot, filled as people are with the haunts and tragedies that make up the shadows of their lives. We can’t endure them, the wind whispered, for when the light and warmth are truly taken we are left shivering naked in the dark. Then we hear a nearby husky chuckle that tells us we are prey.”
2 likes