Start by marking “The Last Anniversary” as Want to Read:
The Last Anniversary

The Last Anniversary

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  51,934 Ratings  ·  3,745 Reviews

Sophie Honeywell always wondered if Thomas Gordon was the one she let get away. He was the perfect boyfriend, but on the day he was to propose, she broke his heart. A year later he married his travel agent, while Sophie has been mortifyingly single ever since. Now Thomas is back in her life because Sophie has unexpectedly inherited his aunt Connie's house on Scribbly Gum

Published June 1st 2006 by Harper Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Anniversary, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Susan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Becky
Dec 09, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
I actually feel jealous of all the people who still have all of Liane Moriarty's books to read, when I'm going to have to wait for her next one to come out.

While this isn't my favorite of her books I did really like it and feel she is an incredibly talented author. Maybe her books won't win Pulitzers or whatever, but her characters have so much detail and depth that it is sheer pleasure to know them through the books.

Sophie broke up with Thomas a few years ago, right before he was about to prop
Carol
Not my favorite Liane Moriarty read by any means, but an interesting mystery just the same.

So.........What happened to Jack and Alice Munro? Well, you'll have to read through "several" family related side "stories" to find out. For me, it just took too long to get to the meat of the MUNRO BABY MYSTERY, and Sophie's "story" in particular, turned out to be rather a disappointment.

I did like Margie and the outcome of her "story" but the very best part of the whole book (IMHO) was when Rose told the

Andrew Smith
I liked Little Lies so much I’ve been working my way back through the author’s back catalogue. This is one of her early works and it’s easy to see that by the time she got around to writing LL she’d honed her craft and worked out how to extract the best from her particular way of telling a story. That’s not to suggest that this book doesn't have any merit – it does – but I do think it lacks the polish of her later work.

Here we are introduced to a large group of characters who have some link (la
Suzanne
This woman tells a wicked story. This is Liane Moriarty's second book, and I have read most of them, and all out of order as well. Her first two are just as good as the rest in my opinion!

As always I love the Aussie references throughout, it's all gold. This setting, not too far from where I live, seems like a little slice of heaven. The storyline asks us to suspend belief a little, but it's easy to do so as it's just so heart warming! The characters are self deprecating and loveable, and of co
Stephanie
Almost 5 stars! Love Liane Moriarty and this book did not disappoint! Listened to it while walking. Pretty good narrator. Loved the ending which was a complete surprise. Vibrant characters and plot that made you want to not put it down. Would have finished much faster if not for the walking... I have 1 more of hers to read. Hope she is almost ready to publish another!!!
Margitte
Give Liane Moriarty her due. Nobody can introduce a story quite like her. Immediate, smart, funny, upbeat, energetic. Throw in the characters one by one and soon the reader is on a fast boat to an exciting thrill.

Sophie Honeywell: terrifyingly thirty-nine years old, mortifyingly single; blessed with a disorder called ‘Idiopathic Craniofacial Erythema’, or ‘severe facial blushing'.

Thomas Gordon: her ex-boyfriend; Their break-up was spectacularly bad; he is part of an eccentric family living on S
Phrynne
Sep 18, 2015 Phrynne rated it really liked it
Another entertaining and totally charming book from Liane Moriarty. I loved all the characters. I loved the setting which was actually not far from where I live! And I loved the way the quirky and the funny was mixed with serious issues like post natal depression and anaphylaxis. The final revelation about who the Munro baby actually was came as a delightful surprise and then right at the very end Rose has one final little shock for the reader. All written in this author's very readable style. I ...more
BookLover
Typically, when reading a good book, I think of “the story” in terms of a character. I’m usually reading about “their” story. This is the first time, where “the story” (AKA “the secret”) felt like an entity of its own, with the characters circling around it, each adding to the overall greatness I was reading. (if that even makes ANY sense at all)

At first, my thoughts when starting The Last Anniversary was “there are too many characters. How am I meant to keep track of all of them?” As I kept rea
May 07, 2017 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Patient fans of Liane Moriarty
★★★
I tried to read this book before, about two years ago, and didn't finish. This month, it is the BOTM in one of my favorite groups so I'd figure I would give it another shot. Again, I found the plot slow and the character development to be overkill, taking up the first half of the book just reading each character's perspective on every little thing. I remembered why I DNF'd the first time around. But, I am so glad I stuck it out because when the family dynamics and mysterious plot began to tak
Cathrine ☯️
2.5★
My least favorite of the Moriartys. I only finished hoping for that trademark twisted surprise ending and what little there was of that disappointed. I had to resort to the Evelyn Wood approach to reading to get through this one. I'm ready for some man-lit.
Chris
Jun 20, 2012 Chris rated it did not like it
After I went crazy about Liane Moriarty's "What Alice Forgot" last month, I ordered another of her books, "The Last Anniversary." What a disappointment! I will agree with the book jacket's assessment, "her characters are eccentric." To say the least. They're actually downright weird. And quite perverse, in some cases. The storyline completely collapses and toward the end of the book you feel very frustrated that you wasted the time to read it. Do NOT bother with this one. I may have overstated m ...more
Jan 24, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, chick-lit
Liane Moriarty delivers another solid "beach read with a brain" in "The Last Anniversary".

Like many of Moriary's books, "Anniversary" has a good plot and a terrific cast of believable characters. Much of the plot centers on relationships -- romantic, familial, platonic, etc. This one has a lighthearted "mystery" thrown in, which most readers will at least partially figure out fairly easily.

Readers who hate ambiguity may not enjoy the ending of this one.

While not as good as "The Husband's Secre
Saffron
Gah! I will come back to this. I just couldn't get into it :(
Stacey
Jul 24, 2014 Stacey rated it it was ok
If not for my curiosity over this novel's Munro Baby Mystery, I would surely have abandoned the book. I did not enjoy getting to know any of the characters, least of all Sophie, who kept me wondering exactly what anyone could see in her. Even the more endearing characters (Connie & Rose) are disappointing by the time it's all over.
Ariella
Sep 06, 2014 Ariella rated it it was ok
Disappointing Ms Moriarty. I've read some of your other books and they have been much better. Your characters in this book were either boring or ridiculous in spite of all your obvious effort in making them cute and quirky. Didn't work. You did touch upon some very important themes- loss, abandonment, motherhood, marital relationships, adultery, post partum depression, single motherhood, being single in a "married" world, spinsterhood, family relationships, friendship, the list goes on.. ( and I ...more
Vanessa
Mar 10, 2017 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
Liane Moriarty is genius in writing her characters, her characters are full of life and colour. It's hard not to have fun reading her books. So Australian, so relatable! Despite all the fun and frivolity there are many strong issues and themes here. This one revolves around a big crazy family who are all involved in a mystery set in the fictional place called Scribbly Gum island. The setting is unique and the storyline is straight out wacky the family deal with the generational family business s ...more
Colette
Jul 28, 2010 Colette rated it did not like it
I gave up. Life is too short, and I was too bored.
Malia
May 08, 2014 Malia rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
I have now officially exhausted my supply of Liane Moriarty novels, and am missing them already:-( This was possibly my favourite, along with What Alice Forgot and her most recent, Big Little Lies. Moriarty just has a style that sucks you in immediately, and the characters are ones I feel an instant interest in, though I sometimes do not take much of a liking to them (as was the case with The Husband's Secret - which still managed to be entertaining).
The Last Anniversary is set largely on a sli
Marianne
Apr 04, 2012 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Last Anniversary is the second novel by Australian author Liane Moriarty. The story starts with 39-year-old Sophie Honeywell finding out that she has inherited a house on Scribbly Gum Island on the Hawkesbury River. The house has been left to her by Connie Thrum, the Great Aunt of her ex-boyfriend, Thomas Gordon, and causes some commotion within the extended family on the island. Scribbly Gum Island is famous for the “Munro Baby Mystery”, a seventy-year-old unsolved crime involving a cake, a ...more
Tania
Oct 14, 2014 Tania rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Love is a decision.

Quite predictable, and the characters were a bit stereotypical - absolutely perfect for a beach read! And as I'm currently on holiday I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have read almost all of Liane Moriarty's books (except for one) and the two best ones are What Alice Forgot and Big Little Lies, but in all of them she has a unique way of saying something that you already know and believe in such a way that you go - yes, yes that's exactly what I feel. I can't wait to see what she doe
Kate
Dec 16, 2014 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grownup, 2014
This book had some great moments, but there were way too many characters with way too many plots. It felt like a series of broken up vignettes rather than a complete book. There was no real resolution to any aspect of the story, and if this was intended to be a glimpse into the life of a weird clan-like family, the "mystery" element was really not necessary, especially as it wasn't much of a mystery at all. I'm bummed that I didn't like this because I was really into the beginning. Ultimately, I ...more
Kerry
May 25, 2015 Kerry rated it liked it
A good book about the lovely quirky community on the island of Scribbly Gum. The story plods along charmingly and is written from the viewpoint of each character. There is drama, sadness, grief, happiness, struggles, love and all aspects of the human experience. The characters are portrayed with all their goodness and flaws intact. You end up liking them all despite their flaws.
I wanted to give it 3.5 stars but the app wouldn't let me. A lovely page turner with a hint of mystery. I really enjoy
Mwrogers
Mar 01, 2014 Mwrogers rated it did not like it
First book by this author that I did not enjoy. I was racing through it, trying to finish, so I could read something good. Convoluted plot, many unlikeable characters, and I saw the "secret" coming from nearly the beginning. Very disappointing read.
Melissa
Dec 27, 2015 Melissa rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010s
The main character is the most spoiled, ignorant twit on the fictional planet. She breaks up with her perfect boyfriend on the eve of his marriage proposal and then wished she could have postponed the breakup for the free trip to Fiji. Despite that, I was really interested in the Munro baby mystery and Grace's battle with postpartum depression. When the main character confessed to being jealous of an armless and leg less woman with a handsome husband and asked if the woman rode by on s skateboar ...more
Leanne
A bit fluffy to rate 4 stars, but it was a throughly enjoyable vacation read and I'm starting to develop a huge soft spot for Liane Moriarty. Her writing is just so sharp and witty, and although this one definitely lacks some of the polish of her later novels, it has the same twisty, multi-narrative structure and there's a great little "oh!" moment at the very end.
Lily Malone
Dec 31, 2016 Lily Malone rated it really liked it
This is my first novel by Liane Moriarty (which feels strangely like making a confession.)
The characters made me laugh, particularly Sophie and her parents. I also found the scenes with Grace and her new baby very well done.
Charlie Angell
Nov 01, 2014 Charlie Angell rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars really...I enjoyed the book but it didn't draw me in to the characters lives, I think there were too many of them and I had to keep stopping to think who was related and who was whose daughter etc. nice story although I guessed the twist (I never guess the twist!)
Mirela Ivancevic
Liane Moriarty me naučila da su njezine knjige puno bolje od ove .
Karen ⊰✿
Dec 15, 2016 Karen ⊰✿ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've now read all of Moriarty's books and this is one of my favourites.
I really enjoyed the setting which was much more 'Australiana' than her other books (a small fictional Island off Sydney called Scribbly Gum) and the characters were all loveable and realistic. The mystery was relatively easy to solve, but really wasn't the main purpose of the novel for me. I thought it was much more about family, including unconventional ones, and secrets kept over generations.
Učitaj se!
Apr 10, 2017 Učitaj se! rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished, favorites
Liane Moriarty svakom me svojom knjigom sve više oduševi. Teško mi je reći koja od njenih knjiga mi je draža: svaka je posebna na svoj način. Neke su zagonetnije, neke uzbudljivije, neke šaljivije, neke ozbiljnije... no svaka je priča iz tih knjiga na svoj način misteriozna i svaka ima moć čitatelja samo tako uvući u tu priču i zainteresirati ga da sazna sve njene tajne.

Ova knjiga priča nam priču o tajni otoka Scribbly Gum, sa kojeg su jednog dana misteriozno iščeznuli supružnici Alice i Jack Mu
Chick Lit Book Club: The Last Anniversary - SPOILERS 14 35 Jun 02, 2017 02:14PM
2017 Reading Chal...: The Last Anniversary 1 26 Jun 18, 2016 10:03PM
52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2016.1: The Last Anniversary 7 89 Apr 12, 2016 11:20AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #34 The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty 1 4 Mar 06, 2016 02:13PM
  • Her Mother's Shadow (Kiss River #3)
  • Foreign Fruit
  • Things You Won't Say
  • Desire Lines
  • Eight Hundred Grapes
  • The Engagements
  • Winter Stroll (Winter #2)
  • The Last Kiss Goodbye
  • Free-Falling
  • Bridge of Scarlet Leaves
  • Duet
322069
Liane Moriarty is the Australian author of six internationally best-selling novels, Three Wishes, The Last Anniversary, What Alice Forgot, The Hypnotist's Love Story and the number 1 New York Times bestsellers, The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies.

Her breakout novel The Husband's Secret sold over three million copies worldwide, was a number 1 UK bestseller, an Amazon Best Book of 2013 and has
More about Liane Moriarty...

“Love is a decision?’ ‘That’s right. A decision. Not a feeling. That’s what you young people don’t realise. That’s why you’re always off divorcing each other.” 13 likes
“Sometimes a girl has to stop waiting around and come up with her own fairytale ending.” 10 likes