Start by marking “Doris Lessing: A Biography” as Want to Read:
Doris Lessing: A Biography

Doris Lessing: A Biography

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Based on exclusive interviews with the fascinating Doris Lessing's lovers, colleagues, and friends, this first biography of one of the twentieth century's most influential writers uncovers the woman that Lessing herself withheld in her autobiographical novels and memoirs. For beyond the courageous, resourceful figure who fearlessly challenges the status quo in works like t ...more
Published December 31st 2000 by Carroll & Graf Publishers (first published March 16th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Doris Lessing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doris Lessing

Sharon
I agree with the reader who says there is a slant to this book. Carole Klein seems to dislike Lessing, but its hard to pinpoint. I felt an undercurrent of antipathy, especially during the first half. Perhaps Klein was just irked because Lessing declined to be interviewed for the biography. That should not have come as a surprise, Lessing was known to be difficult on that score, but a biographer has a special relationship with the subject; it is natural to want access.

Despite that tug, I found th
Gizzard
I did not know much about Doris Lessing, just that she had lived in Africa, wrote the Golden Notebook and Children of Violence series. Lessing lived a fascinating life, but if there isn't a slant to this biography, she just was not a likeable person. The only reasons this did not get a five - 1) It appears that the author extrapolated Lessing's feelings based on her books, and the author also does a lot of literary criticism/ psychoanalysis. Some of it seemed like a little too much conjecture fo ...more
Doti
Not an entertaining read, but quite interesting. Lessing is a complex character and does not engender great warmth. Yet, trying to understand who she is (a quest she seems to continue) and why she is as she is, I found I could accept, or even like, some traits.
I do want to read more of Lessing's books now; so the bio was a good idea.
Carol Weaver
The last quarter was interesting because of the information about other people I am interested in - I was glad I read it but very glad when I finished it.
Jillian
A fascinating biography that must have been terribly difficult to write. Lessing was such a complex character.

I loved the last line: "You didn't go to Lessing for tolerance, but for inspiration."
Michele A.
enjoyed this book....would recommend it.
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Efrat Israeli
Efrat Israeli marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Rechielle
Rechielle marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Sesili Li
Sesili Li marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Michelleczcomcast.net
Michelleczcomcast.net marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Laura Curra
Laura Curra marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Elly De jesus
Elly De jesus marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Matty Beqiri
Matty Beqiri marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Helene
Helene marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Li
Li marked it as to-read
Diane Garrison
Diane Garrison marked it as to-read
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Ted Feder
Ted Feder marked it as to-read
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 next »
Gramercy Park: An American Bloomsbury Overcoming Regret: Lessons from the Road Doris Lessing Aline The Myth of the Happy Child