The Entrepreneur Equation: Evaluating the Realities, Risks, and Rewards of Having Your Own Business

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  20 reviews
It’s time to drop the rose-colored glasses and face the facts: most new businesses fail, with often devastating consequences for the would-be entrepreneur.

The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA TODAY bestseller The Entrepreneur Equation helps you do the math before you set down the entrepreneurial path so that you can answer more than just "Could I be an entrepre...more
Published March 6th 2012 by BenBella Books (first published March 8th 2011)

Adrienna
I borrowed this eBook version from the WI library system to read on entrepreneurship and whether or not this is another goal for me.

My favorite chapter was "entrepreneur: screening process" since it mentioned briefly about law school, which I was also considering but we can be blinded by our passions. "most big risks and financial, emotional, or achievement-oriented rewards have a screening process." It suggests the 5 step screening process: FIRED UP, and professions that you put forth effort, t...more
Steve Coughlan
Fantastic book. Based on my experience as a small business counselor for the last 10 years, truer words were never put to paper. And with a nice sense of humor.

Everybody who wants to start up a business, or is in the middle of starting up a business, or is close to somebody who wants to start up a business, should read this. It is 100% correct, and vital knowledge for you. I wish all the small business people I've counseled had read this book before they started.

If you are married to or related...more
Jenny
This book was very thought-provoking - and makes you REALLY take a critical look at why you want to become self-employed or a business owner and whether that lifestyle is right for you. One of the most powerful images in the book is a graph where Roth shows that instead of becoming the top of the business food chain when you strike out on you're own, you're actually now at the very bottom -- catering to the needs of your clients, partners, and distributors moreso than anything else. Funnily enou...more
Minah
This book is all about the initial screening process for you as an entrepreneur or thinking to start a business. Carol mentioned all aspects of being entrepreneur, so that you can easily assess yourself as an entrepreneur. She has never shied away from hard facts and uncomfortable realities that you easily ignore or don't straight forward. I would highly recommend this book to not only someone who thinks to have own business, but also someone who thinks to get sick and tired of being a employee....more
AmblingBooks
"One thing readers can be certain of is that Carol Roth will tell it like it is. Her no-nonsense, direct, humorous, and engaging style is part of what makes The Entrepreneur Equation one of the more enjoyable business books to read. But the author also has a serious purpose: to ensure that anyone thinking about starting a business is prepared for it�The Entrepreneur Equation is a definitive guide that will help any would-be entrepreneur objectively assess whether or not to venture into business...more
Nivedita Sankar
A good read, especially coming after the slew of entrepreneurship books I've been reading that seems to argue that small businesses would succeed if ONLY they followed x, y, z steps. There were humorous moments which broke up the more serious parts quite nicely. Still, I do think that she lays it on a bit thick towards the end – several points are unnecessarily repeated, perhaps for emphasis. Unrelated to the rating/review, it's unfortunate that the people who do need to read this (aspiring entr...more
Angela England
Do not buy the book unless you want an honest opinion. If you want to pursue the life of an entrepreneur and you aren't sure what it will take, this book is an absolute must-read. No doubt about it. Because this is the book where Carol Roth lays it all out there.

I've had the honor of hearing Carol speak at SOBCon 2011 and I can tell you she genuinely cares. But she doesn't want you to waste your time of you truly aren't ready to jump into the entrepreneur life.

This book will explain the differ...more
Mary Thompson
Made me feel like my business wasn't good enough because my goals weren't to dominate the world. Good view of being an entrepreneur but felt it would be better suited to someone intending to build a huge corporation.
Maryellen Miller
At first I judged this book by its cover. At first glance I thought the book would be simplistic and not very serious. But after making a few rounds in the book store I couldn't find anything else that seemed to cover the topic so well.

The book in fact is a cold hard look at the realities of having your own business. If you are thinking about starting a business or just want to understand more about how business works, I recommend this book. If you can make it to the end and you aren't complete...more
Glenn
While most books on this subject are full of sunshine and encouragement, the tone of this one is entirely the opposite. It contains all the same information as others, but works via "reverse psychology."
Karen Jett
The Entrepreneur Equation is the book that everyone who thinks they want to be an entrepreneur should be required to read before starting their new business. This book is brutally honest about the challenges and trade offs that entrepreneurship requires. In addition, it provides a framework for you to evaluate your readiness for the venture.

If you make it through this book and still want to start your own book, I recommend following it up with Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months by Melinda Emerson...more
Ben Donahower
The anti-business books, I really appreciated how Carol Roth thoroughly examined the reasons why entrepreneurship isn't right for some people or at certain times. There are plenty of books why you should start a business, but too few why you shouldn't. Roth's book, however, is so good that I doubt there need to be many more. The decision to start a business is an important one that shouldn't be taken lightly. Part of that is understanding the reasons why it might not work for you.
Lee Ann
This seems like a nice book for those thinking about starting a small business. It's not your typical book touting the success that is possible. Rather, it asks you to think about whether this is the right thing to do. It outlines many of the possible downsides to being an entrepreneur. A good book for SCORE mentors and clients. I'm going to pass it on to one of my favorite clients. :)
Tanya
Hmm. The realism is a good counterpoint to most other business books. I certainly see her point, that pretty much you should not start a business. And yet, I read these other books about stretching yourself and taking risks, especially in this rising Conceptual Age. Perhaps her realism is too choking? I don't have the answers, but is it a good book for the exploring entrepreneur to browse.
Beth Gordon
I really enjoyed this book on what it takes to become an entrepreneur. It takes a hard, critical look at what your new reality would be as a business owner. It isn't going to be easy, and you're going to either be a master of a lot of different aspects of running a business or a master at delegation or, more like, a master at both.
Lenore Webb
Barbie may have showed young girls they could go anywhere and do anything. But Carol Roth is guiding them to be leaders in the business world. With common sense and business sense combined, The Entrepreneur Equation has step by step instructions on how women can be business owners while holding on to their self identity.
Susan Payton
I love that Roth makes people who think they want to be entrepreneurs take a cold, hard look at the reality. Running your own business isn't glamorous. It doesn't pay a lot. And it's thankless. Are you SURE you want to do it??
Kevin Mullins
Very interesting way to discuss Entrepreneurship. It really focuses on the negative aspects of being an entrepreneur and makes you really consider if this is were you should go.
Adrienna
borrowed copy from library via eBook on Kindle on Android tablet.
Teri Temme
Excellent book - should be required reading for all entrepreneurs!
J C
J C marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Hannah Peters
Hannah Peters marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Douglas
Douglas marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Who Will Tuck Me In Tonight? Will You Still Love Me? Where's My Mommy? Little Bunny's Sleepless Night The Little School Bus