Start by marking “The Entrepreneur Equation: Evaluating the Realities, Risks, and Rewards of Having Your Own Business” as Want to Read:

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  119 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
It’s time to drop the rose-colored glasses and face the facts: most new businesses fail, with often devastating consequences for the would-be entrepreneur.

The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA TODAY bestseller The Entrepreneur Equation helps you do the math before you set down the entrepreneurial path so that you can answer more than just "Could I be an entrepre
Published March 6th 2012 by BenBella Books (first published March 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Entrepreneur Equation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Entrepreneur Equation

Joseph McBee
This book is snarky, pessimistic, depressing, laborious, and helpful. Roth spends the whole book dismantling every dream you ever had of owning your own business and tells you in detail exactly why you face nothing but misery and failure with the endeavor. If you can make it through the whole ordeal, you will probably want to start a business just to spite her.
Minah
Jun 11, 2012 Minah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is all about the initial screening process for you as an entrepreneur or thinking to start a business. Carol mentioned all aspects of being entrepreneur, so that you can easily assess yourself as an entrepreneur. She has never shied away from hard facts and uncomfortable realities that you easily ignore or don't straight forward. I would highly recommend this book to not only someone who thinks to have own business, but also someone who thinks to get sick and tired of being a employee. ...more
Andrea McDowell
Carol Roth is 100% sure she knows everything there is to know about starting your own business. And she might be right, or close to it. She's also 100% sure that you are an idiot, and she's here to tell you why.

Some of her soliloquies on the superiority of jobs over entrepreneurialism are downright hilarious. Can anyone tell me where these jobs are that give 5% raises every year forever?

She has a lot of good information about businesses and the realities of starting and running one, but it woul
Daniel L.
Oct 09, 2014 Daniel L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Should I Be an Entrepreneur?

As counselors, we come upon so many people smitten with the idea of starting a business. After all, the very idea of doing so has tremendous allure, enough to ask oneself, “Could I be an entrepreneur?” More important, though, is the question “Should I be an entrepreneur?” That is the theme of The Entrepreneur Equation, a very highly received book by Carol Roth.

The Assumptions, Myths, and Realities of Entrepreneurship
What are the assumptions, myths, and realities of
Adrienna
I borrowed this eBook version from the WI library system to read on entrepreneurship and whether or not this is another goal for me.

My favorite chapter was "entrepreneur: screening process" since it mentioned briefly about law school, which I was also considering but we can be blinded by our passions. "most big risks and financial, emotional, or achievement-oriented rewards have a screening process." It suggests the 5 step screening process: FIRED UP, and professions that you put forth effort, t
Steve Coughlan
Mar 22, 2013 Steve Coughlan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Fantastic book. Based on my experience as a small business counselor for the last 10 years, truer words were never put to paper. And with a nice sense of humor.

Everybody who wants to start up a business, or is in the middle of starting up a business, or is close to somebody who wants to start up a business, should read this. It is 100% correct, and vital knowledge for you. I wish all the small business people I've counseled had read this book before they started.

If you are married to or related
Jenny
Oct 24, 2011 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very thought-provoking - and makes you REALLY take a critical look at why you want to become self-employed or a business owner and whether that lifestyle is right for you. One of the most powerful images in the book is a graph where Roth shows that instead of becoming the top of the business food chain when you strike out on you're own, you're actually now at the very bottom -- catering to the needs of your clients, partners, and distributors moreso than anything else. Funnily enou ...more
Nivedita Sankar
A good read, especially coming after the slew of entrepreneurship books I've been reading that seems to argue that small businesses would succeed if ONLY they followed x, y, z steps. There were humorous moments which broke up the more serious parts quite nicely. Still, I do think that she lays it on a bit thick towards the end – several points are unnecessarily repeated, perhaps for emphasis. Unrelated to the rating/review, it's unfortunate that the people who do need to read this (aspiring entr ...more
Angela England
Apr 11, 2012 Angela England rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Do not buy the book unless you want an honest opinion. If you want to pursue the life of an entrepreneur and you aren't sure what it will take, this book is an absolute must-read. No doubt about it. Because this is the book where Carol Roth lays it all out there.

I've had the honor of hearing Carol speak at SOBCon 2011 and I can tell you she genuinely cares. But she doesn't want you to waste your time of you truly aren't ready to jump into the entrepreneur life.

This book will explain the differ
Mary Thompson
Made me feel like my business wasn't good enough because my goals weren't to dominate the world. Good view of being an entrepreneur but felt it would be better suited to someone intending to build a huge corporation.
Danielle
Aug 05, 2015 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best business books I've read. A little terrifying, but a dose of reality that you don't find in many other books. This will really show you whether or not you are ready to start your own business.
Bryan
This could be worthwhile for people with no entrepreneurial experience who are considering taking the plunge.
Maryellen Miller
May 20, 2013 Maryellen Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I judged this book by its cover. At first glance I thought the book would be simplistic and not very serious. But after making a few rounds in the book store I couldn't find anything else that seemed to cover the topic so well.

The book in fact is a cold hard look at the realities of having your own business. If you are thinking about starting a business or just want to understand more about how business works, I recommend this book. If you can make it to the end and you aren't complete
Glenn
While most books on this subject are full of sunshine and encouragement, the tone of this one is entirely the opposite. It contains all the same information as others, but works via "reverse psychology."
Karen Jett
Nov 18, 2011 Karen Jett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Entrepreneur Equation is the book that everyone who thinks they want to be an entrepreneur should be required to read before starting their new business. This book is brutally honest about the challenges and trade offs that entrepreneurship requires. In addition, it provides a framework for you to evaluate your readiness for the venture.

If you make it through this book and still want to start your own book, I recommend following it up with Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months by Melinda Emerson
Ben Donahower
Aug 09, 2012 Ben Donahower rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The anti-business books, I really appreciated how Carol Roth thoroughly examined the reasons why entrepreneurship isn't right for some people or at certain times. There are plenty of books why you should start a business, but too few why you shouldn't. Roth's book, however, is so good that I doubt there need to be many more. The decision to start a business is an important one that shouldn't be taken lightly. Part of that is understanding the reasons why it might not work for you.
Lee Ann
This seems like a nice book for those thinking about starting a small business. It's not your typical book touting the success that is possible. Rather, it asks you to think about whether this is the right thing to do. It outlines many of the possible downsides to being an entrepreneur. A good book for SCORE mentors and clients. I'm going to pass it on to one of my favorite clients. :)
Tanya
Dec 22, 2012 Tanya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Hmm. The realism is a good counterpoint to most other business books. I certainly see her point, that pretty much you should not start a business. And yet, I read these other books about stretching yourself and taking risks, especially in this rising Conceptual Age. Perhaps her realism is too choking? I don't have the answers, but is it a good book for the exploring entrepreneur to browse.
Beth Gordon
Mar 06, 2012 Beth Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book on what it takes to become an entrepreneur. It takes a hard, critical look at what your new reality would be as a business owner. It isn't going to be easy, and you're going to either be a master of a lot of different aspects of running a business or a master at delegation or, more like, a master at both.
Lenore Webb
Barbie may have showed young girls they could go anywhere and do anything. But Carol Roth is guiding them to be leaders in the business world. With common sense and business sense combined, The Entrepreneur Equation has step by step instructions on how women can be business owners while holding on to their self identity.
Susan Payton
Sep 06, 2011 Susan Payton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I love that Roth makes people who think they want to be entrepreneurs take a cold, hard look at the reality. Running your own business isn't glamorous. It doesn't pay a lot. And it's thankless. Are you SURE you want to do it??
Kevin Mullins
Dec 04, 2013 Kevin Mullins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting way to discuss Entrepreneurship. It really focuses on the negative aspects of being an entrepreneur and makes you really consider if this is were you should go.
Adrienna
borrowed copy from library via eBook on Kindle on Android tablet.
Teri Temme
Jul 14, 2012 Teri Temme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book - should be required reading for all entrepreneurs!
Petra Kassun-Mutch
Petra Kassun-Mutch rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Najam
Najam marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Justin Jones
Justin Jones rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
OU WENXIN
OU WENXIN marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Naikbeen Naikpay
Naikbeen Naikpay marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
  • The 5 Patterns of Extraordinary Careers : The Guide for Achieving Success and Satisfaction (Crown Business Briefings)
  • A Million Bucks by 30: How to Overcome a Crap Job, Stingy Parents, and a Useless Degree to Become a Millionaire Before (or After) Turning Thirty
  • Start Over, Finish Rich: 10 Steps to Get You Back on Track in 2010
  • Co-Opetition
  • Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action
  • The Mindful Manifesto: How Doing Less And Noticing More Can Help Us Thrive In A Stressed Out World
  • Google Speaks: Secrets of the Worlds Greatest Billionaire Entrepreneurs, Sergey Brin and Larry Page
  • Free Marketing: 101 Low and No-Cost Ways to Grow Your Business, Online and Off
  • The Millionaire Maker: ACT, Think, and Make Money the Way the Wealthy Do
  • Beyond the Goal: Eliyahu Goldratt Speaks on the Theory of Constraints
  • The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success: Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search
  • Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life
  • Execution Premium
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • Selling the Dream
  • Never Get a “Real” Job: How to Dump Your Boss, Build a Business and Not Go Broke
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • Marketing in the Age of Google: Your Online Strategy Is Your Business Strategy