Start by marking “Two Little Savages” as Want to Read:
Two Little Savages

Two Little Savages

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This is one of the great classics of nature and boyhood by one of America's foremost nature experts. It presents a vast range of woodlore in the most palatable of forms, a genuinely delightful story. It will provide many hours of good reading for any child who likes the out-of-doors, and will teach him or her many interesting facts of nature, as well as a number of practic...more
Published November 24th 2011 by Dover Publications (first published 1917)

To ask other readers questions about Two Little Savages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Little Savages

Shawn
I LOVED this book as a kid. My brothers and I lived out in the country and we played Indians a lot using as much of the lore found in this book as possible. Just shows you what kids can come up with when there are no videogames and they have to use their imagination.
Hikes in Rain
This is the quintessential book for boys. Informative, entertaining, it's the complete package. Make sure you get the version with the illustrations, because they're essential.
Hannah
I loved this book when I was in my preteens. It has a lot of information and detailed illustrations packaged in a solid story.
I do have some quibbles with the fact that the "not good" characters are described as very pious and use Scripture to beat over Yan's head, also the "good" characters lie and participate in petty squabbles, but through it all, deep, true morals are lived and the Biblical principles are honored.

Looking forward to rereading this to get clearer thoughts.
Michele
As an adventure book for boys, I thought it was brillant. The way some of the adults treated children was a bit too much for me at times.
Prayer sticks: how cool were those?
The indian signs on page 181 were awesome! Signs in stones, in trees and in grass. Who knew there were so many ways to mark the trail for your friends?
Loved this quote: (213) "Bravery ain't so much not being scairt as going aghead when are scairt, showing that you can boss your fears."
Tom
Ernest Thompson Seton was one of the founders of the Boy Scouts of America. This book is about a sickly and lonesome city boy from a cold family. He is sent to his uncle's farm for the summer. The uncle allows the boy, and his cousin to spend the summer in a teepee. This is a fun book for children and adults. It is filled with drawings to accompany the great amount of woodlore that it teaches.
Annie
An absolutely marvellous book I read as a child living in a big city. It is most certainly one of my most favourite books of all time, although I do not dare read it again now, lest it disappoints. Or, perhaps, I will, and re-live the exciting images it conjured. A wonderful gift.
David
I will definately read this book to my boys when they are older. In an age where kids live their fantasies through video games, this book might inspire them to head outdoors and discover the joys of woodcraft like previous generations have before them.
Ray Pierson
I read and re-read this book so many times as a kid that the librarian thought I was up to no good. Well, maybe I was. The work is quite unusual as it is a novel and a handbook for boys at the same time.
Will O'kelley
One of the most interesting books I read as an adolescent. It is sort of the philosophies and ideologies of Henry David Thoreau played out in the lives to two young boys.
Murray Writtle
One of my favourite boyhood books. As an English town dweller, this tale of american farm kids playing "Injuns" was pretty darned exciting.
Will
Rereading after forty years is amazing - I like the book even more than I did then and I liked it a lot then!
Will
Read at 8 or 9. Found, I think in the first library I regularly visited in Shiraz, a one roomer.
April
was good but didn't capture the reader.
Mike
Mike is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2014
Janey
Janey marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
vit
vit marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Aaron Mate
Aaron Mate marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Δημήτρης Α.
Δημήτρης Α. marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Thebeckypower
Thebeckypower marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Ernest Thompson Seton was a Scots-Canadian (and naturalized U.S. citizen) who became a noted author, wildlife artist, founder of the Woodcraft Indians, and one of the founding pioneers of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). Seton also heavily influenced Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. His notable books related to Scouting include The Birch Bark Roll and The Boy Scout Handbook. He is respo...more
More about Ernest Thompson Seton...
Wild Animals I Have Known The Biography of a Grizzly Rolf in the Woods: The Adventures of a Boy Scout with Indian Quonab & Little Dog Skookum The Gospel of the Redman Animal Heroes: Being The Histories Of A Cat, A Dog, A Pigeon, A Lynx, Two Wolves & A Reindeer And In Elucidation Of The Same, Over 200 Drawings