Start by marking “Two Little Savages” as Want to Read:
Two Little Savages

Two Little Savages

This is one of the great classics of nature and boyhood by one of America's foremost nature experts. It presents a vast range of woodlore in the most palatable of forms, a genuinely delightful story. It will provide many hours of good reading for any child who likes the out-of-doors, and will teach him or her many interesting facts of nature, as well as a number of practic ...more
Published November 24th 2011 by Dover Publications (first published 1917)

Shawn
Jun 20, 2011 Shawn rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book as a kid. My brothers and I lived out in the country and we played Indians a lot using as much of the lore found in this book as possible. Just shows you what kids can come up with when there are no videogames and they have to use their imagination.
Carol
Jun 08, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it
Subtitle: Being the Adventures of Two Boys Who Lived as Indians and What They Learned.

Let's go straight to the Savages in the title. Seton wrote this in 1903. You would expect '...and he reflects the values of his time,' — but that's just not accurate, except for the word savage. I can't recall one instance of it in the text. In this book Indian methods are always the preferred pattern, the esteemed goal, the measure of authenticity.

Yan grew up in a whacked-out Scots Presbyterian home, very si
Lucie Novak
Mar 01, 2015 Lucie Novak rated it really liked it
It is interesting, and sad, in a way it shows children's escape to nature to avoid their parents who treat them badly.
Seton's father apparently gave him a bill for all his upbringing when the writer was 21. He paid the bill and never spoke to his father again. What a sad tale.
Lenny Husen
Jun 28, 2016 Lenny Husen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars, rounding up for reasons below.
This book is a Lost Classic. I never read it as a child, although I did read "Wild Animals I Have Known" by the same author.
This was first published in 1903 and is both a Coming Of Age story and a How To on Woodcrafts.
If you want to know how to build a TeePee, make a Bow and Arrow, tan hides, make a Tom Tom, shoot and stuff an Owl, start a fire with sticks, this is your book. It is seriously cool.
Drawings on almost every page by the author.
The plot is b
Hannah
Dec 01, 2011 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
I loved this book when I was in my preteens. It has a lot of information and detailed illustrations packaged in a solid story.
I do have some quibbles with the fact that the "not good" characters are described as very pious and use Scripture to beat over Yan's head, also the "good" characters lie and participate in petty squabbles, but through it all, deep, true morals are lived and the Biblical principles are honored.

Looking forward to rereading this to get clearer thoughts.
Michele
Aug 17, 2012 Michele rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-of-2013
As an adventure book for boys, I thought it was brillant. The way some of the adults treated children was a bit too much for me at times.
Prayer sticks: how cool were those?
The indian signs on page 181 were awesome! Signs in stones, in trees and in grass. Who knew there were so many ways to mark the trail for your friends?
Loved this quote: (213) "Bravery ain't so much not being scairt as going aghead when are scairt, showing that you can boss your fears."
Tom
Aug 23, 2009 Tom rated it it was amazing
Ernest Thompson Seton was one of the founders of the Boy Scouts of America. This book is about a sickly and lonesome city boy from a cold family. He is sent to his uncle's farm for the summer. The uncle allows the boy, and his cousin to spend the summer in a teepee. This is a fun book for children and adults. It is filled with drawings to accompany the great amount of woodlore that it teaches.
Ray Pierson
May 13, 2009 Ray Pierson rated it it was amazing
I read and re-read this book so many times as a kid that the librarian thought I was up to no good. Well, maybe I was. The work is quite unusual as it is a novel and a handbook for boys at the same time.
Annie
May 02, 2013 Annie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-books
An absolutely marvellous book I read as a child living in a big city. It is most certainly one of my most favourite books of all time, although I do not dare read it again now, lest it disappoints. Or, perhaps, I will, and re-live the exciting images it conjured. A wonderful gift.
David
May 07, 2013 David rated it liked it
I will definately read this book to my boys when they are older. In an age where kids live their fantasies through video games, this book might inspire them to head outdoors and discover the joys of woodcraft like previous generations have before them.
Radek Brodecky
Dec 07, 2014 Radek Brodecky rated it really liked it
Knížka, ke které jsem se mnohokrát vracel. Skvělé.
Will
Jul 18, 2011 Will rated it really liked it
Shelves: making, historical, teen
Rereading after forty years is amazing - I like the book even more than I did then and I liked it a lot then!
Olivia Lewis
Jul 25, 2015 Olivia Lewis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 0-14
My favorite book as a child.
Hikes in Rain
Jul 12, 2014 Hikes in Rain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the quintessential book for boys. Informative, entertaining, it's the complete package. Make sure you get the version with the illustrations, because they're essential.
Miroslav Dzimko
Aug 15, 2016 Miroslav Dzimko rated it it was amazing
My favourite book.
Christian Tzolov
Read this book as a kid in the 80s. I read the Bulgarian edition from 1948. It left a significant impression on my youth, although back then i had no idea what boy scout means.
Murray Writtle
May 07, 2008 Murray Writtle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite boyhood books. As an English town dweller, this tale of american farm kids playing "Injuns" was pretty darned exciting.
VLT
Dec 15, 2014 VLT rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books growing up
Chris Darling
Oct 01, 2015 Chris Darling rated it it was amazing
The first book I ever fell in love with. My father read this to me and my brother as young "little savages". It's a timeless book of adventure and youthful exuberance.
Will O'kelley
Apr 03, 2013 Will O'kelley rated it really liked it
One of the most interesting books I read as an adolescent. It is sort of the philosophies and ideologies of Henry David Thoreau played out in the lives to two young boys.
Tom Lindsey
Nov 16, 2014 Tom Lindsey rated it it was amazing
This book is so good. Better than Huckleberry Finn.
Tatokalan Stolbova
Tatokalan Stolbova rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2009
Zane
Zane rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2011
Lisa Bradley
Lisa Bradley rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
Rahim Balakishiyev
Rahim Balakishiyev rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2017
Gio Chubinidze
Gio Chubinidze rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Tri-Community Library
Tri-Community Library rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Pavla Kosarova
Pavla Kosarova rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Pagulane
Pagulane rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2015
James Lawrence
James Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Rychlé šípy
  • Jessica's First Prayer
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Anak Pemburu Beruang
  • Angels, Arguments, and a Furry Merry Christmas (Ally's World)
  • Sir Gibbie (Sir Gibbie, #1)
  • Christie's Old Organ (Rare Collector's Series)
  • Journey Through the Night
  • Wandering Through Winter: A Naturalist's Record of a 20,000-Mile Journey Through the North American Winter
  • The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches II (Keeper Martin's Tales, #2)
  • The Boy's King Arthur: Sir Thomas Malory's History of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • The Bear
  • Emil und die drei Zwillinge
  • The Barbary Pirates
  • Songs of a Sourdough
  • The Story of Inventions
  • Time Among the Maya: Travels in Belize, Guatemala, and Mexico
Ernest Thompson Seton was a Scots-Canadian (and naturalized U.S. citizen) who became a noted author, wildlife artist, founder of the Woodcraft Indians, and one of the founding pioneers of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). Seton also heavily influenced Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. His notable books related to Scouting include The Birch Bark Roll and The Boy Scout Handbook. He is respo ...more
More about Ernest Thompson Seton...