Start by marking “Dear Me” as Want to Read:
Dear Me

Dear Me

The hilarious and riveting autobiography from the late, great Sir Peter Ustinov. Dear Me spans his extraordinary career as actor, playwright, film star and director.
Published by Little Brown and Company (first published October 3rd 1977)

Tony
Nov 20, 2010 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
47. Ustinov, Peter. DEAR ME. (1977). *****. It was always a delight to watch Peter when he appeared on TV as a guest on one or another of the talk shows. He was a consummate conversationalist. He always had scads of stories to tell – both about himself and about his friends and acquaintences. In this memoir, he traces his family tree from his great-great-grandfather, Michael Adrianovich Ustinov, who lived to be 108 (concservative estimate), built 16 churches in his town, and left his estate inta ...more
Karl Jackson
Sep 11, 2007 Karl Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No idea how I came across this book. Turns out to be an absolute gem. The funniest autobiography I have read. Ustinov is very witty. This book makes fantastic light reading.
Rosa Ramôa
May 31, 2015 Rosa Ramôa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Comunicar é a arte de ser entendido".
Joy H.
May 24, 2010 Joy H. marked it as read-partially  ·  review of another edition
RE: _Dear Me_ by Peter Ustinov
I believe I discovered this book in the bibliography of _Royal Feud_.

An Amazon customer review by Thomas Duff says:
===============================================
"Dear Me by Peter Ustinov is an autobiography of the actor/screenwriter/playwright. I'm not a big film fan, and I can't say I've seen any of his acting roles or stories. But as an avid reader, I greatly enjoyed his way with words. The book takes you from his birth through 1977 when it was penned. The writin
Ron
Apr 01, 2011 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Fascinating autobiography of one of my favorite actors. A genuine renaissance man and raconteur. If you enjoyed seeing him interviewed on shows like Dick Cavett etc., you'll love this book. Acting aside, if you're a fan of humorous fiction, check out his novel KRUMNAGEL. (If you can find a copy.)
Jacqueline
Ok I suppose.I would rather listen to him than read about his life.
M.R. Dowsing
Jan 04, 2017 M.R. Dowsing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never rated Ustinov highly as an actor as I've found the performances of his that I've seen to be clever but somewhat superficial. I can't remember ever feeling moved by him in a film and I've got little time for all that Hercule Poirot shite. However, I recently watched an interview with him (an extra on the DVD of Spartacus), and realised that here was one of the great speakers of the English language. I could have listened to him all day and it's obviously not for nothing that he became ...more
Lara
Dec 13, 2016 Lara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, unfinished
I saw Peter Ustinov live, where he talked about his life. He was so entertaining, I remember laughing until I cried. Somehow, this did not come through in his biography. I'm not sure if it is because the writing is a bit dated, or if I just was expecting something else.

The first few chapters focus on his parents, grandparents etc. rather than his own life. Even once Peter entered his own story, it remained quite dark rather than the humorous story I was hoping for. This book is on my 'unfinishe
DubaiReader
Depends on your sense of humour.

I listened to an abridged version of this book and couldn't get through the first CD (1 star from me). Fortunately for Mr Ustinov, my husband put it in his car and absolutely loved it (5 stars from him), so the book gets 3 stars on average.

I found his 'hilarious' anecdotes tedious and rambling, my husband, on the other hand, though he was hugely amusing and, knowing many of the famous people who he name drops, was immediately drawn in.

My husband has a typically ma
Peter
Nov 25, 2007 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having just finished a ballet memoir (Irina Baronova's), which like most dance books showed how focused (narrowminded/self-centered?) dancers tend to be, Ustinov's was a breth of fresher air. His anecdotes were not only funny but illuminating of the human condition and of the world in general and not only served to paint the picture of his immediate daily life.
Susan Yessian
Jan 25, 2015 Susan Yessian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember Peter Ustinov as a frequent talk show guest years ago on the Merv Griffin show. He was a brilliant conversationalist and raconteur. This memoir doesn't disappoint. His anecdotes and observations are a joy to read.
Louise Armstrong
Jul 21, 2011 Louise Armstrong rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was dull. Although he can write, he didn't actually tell you anything. Had dinner with Frank Sinatra. So??? What happened???? One or two funny anecdotes but no personal information about acting or his feelings.
Marwan Asmar
Jan 08, 2011 Marwan Asmar is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is delighful, the man is a pleasure to read, he is wity, humorous and innovative with a sense of flair for the mirth but quite responsible in his approach....An extraordinary background....
Nigel Street
A rare combination of an interesting and talented person whose is able to articulate their life beautifully in an autobiography. Anyone who admired his many performances and writings will find this both enjoyable and rewarding. A remarkable book by a remarkable man.
Nancy Townsend
When I was young I used to find Peter Ustinov very entertaining. On re-listening to this audiobook, read by the author, I'm not sure if my tastes have changed too much or if his writing has lost something. It was okay but seemed to lack the sparkle which I had remembered.
Gill
Feb 02, 2013 Gill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't have picked to listen to this book. I am glad it was given to me...to make me listen...as I enjoyed it. It was interesting and in some places had me laughing out loud!
Carol
Oct 01, 2012 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As you can expect, this book is full of great stories and insights. It does get preachy, however, which is also a chance for insight.
Frances
An interesting and informative memoir of a very nice man. Such an interesting and well-travelled life.
Mike
Apr 08, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best biography i have read...the only substitute for hearing Ustinov telling the stories in interviews. The finest raconteur
TØny Hine
Jun 18, 2015 TØny Hine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can hear the great man talking to you from the pages. I love all the little stories. The one I will remember most is about the dog called "Colonel"
Kay
Droll but self-indulgent memoir. Still, it definitely has its moments. And what a life! We should all lead such a full one.
John Cheeseman
He's got a lovely turn of phrase but skimmed over his life and accomplishments so it felt very rushed.
carol chen
carol chen rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2010
Ronald Moger
Ronald Moger rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2012
Phil
Phil rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Karla Tipton
Karla Tipton rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2013
Jane Gracier
Jane Gracier rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Libby
Libby rated it really liked it
May 14, 2010
  • Boswell's Presumptuous Task: The Making of the Life of Dr. Johnson
  • My Song: A Memoir
  • Watching War Films with My Dad
  • Fillets of Plaice
  • Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Sometimes Zeppo: A Celebration of the Marx Brothers
  • Society's Child: My Autobiography
  • Grace
  • American Prince: A Memoir
Sir Peter Alexander Ustinov, CBE, was a British actor, writer and dramatist.

He was also renowned as a filmmaker, theatre and opera director, director, stage designer, screenwriter, comedian, humorist, newspaper and magazine columnist, radio broadcaster and television presenter.

A noted wit and raconteur, he was, for much of his career, a fixture on television talk shows and lecture circuits, as wel
More about Peter Ustinov...