Start by marking “Jakten på Wondla” as Want to Read:
Jakten på Wondla

Jakten på Wondla (WondLa #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  5,661 ratings  ·  963 reviews

Now in paperback, Tony DiTerlizzi’s New York Times bestselling, richly illustrated modern classic. When a marauder destroys the underground sanctuary that Eva Nine was raised in by the robot Muthr, the twelve-year-year-old girl is forced to flee aboveground. Eva Nine is searching for anyone else like her: She knows that other humans exist because of an item she treasures—a
Published August 1st 2011 by B Wahlström (first published September 21st 2009)

Shannon Messenger
I had high expectations after all the gushing I heard from the peeps at S&S when I picked up this ARC--not to mention I'd flipped through the book and seen some of the fabulous illustrations--and the book definitely lived up to everything I'd hoped for.

Eva Nine is a wonderful character. Stubborn and vulnerable and smart and sweet and real. I could feel her fear and her loneliness, her wonder and confusion. And the world! I don't know where Tony gets his imagination from, but I want to borrow
Rick Riordan
This book makes me wish I could draw. From the co-creator of Spiderwick Chronicles, The Search for Wondla is a fabulous cross between sci fi and fantasy. A young girl, raised in an underground bunker by a motherly robot, is suddenly forced to the surface and finds that the world is radically changed -- if it's even the planet she thought it was. The story is fascinating by itself, but the illustrations add a whole new dimension to the adventure. Highly recommended.
Vicky
Take a little bit of “The Wizard of Oz” and “Alice in Wonderland”, toss in some “Star Wars” and “Planet of the Apes”, mix well by a talented writer and you’ll have an idea of this book. From the fantastic mind of Tony DiTerlizzi, creator of the Spiderwick Chronicles, this is the first of a three part series.

The story concerns a twelve-year-old girl, Eva Nine, who has been raised in an underground sanctuary by a robot named Muthr. When a vicious hunter destroys the sanctuary in search of Eva, she
Helen
Oh. My. God. I don't even have the words to describe this WondLa-ful book! This book is steeped in emotion of being alone in the world, adventure, and friendship. This is like a soup, its ingredients include; a teaspoon of The Wizard of Oz, a drop of Treasure Planet, and a dash of Avatar (with the whole nature thing, and of course Rovee being a blue creature). Oh, and a bit of Journey to the Center of the Earth for good measure.

The plot is completely original, well done to Tony's imagination! An
Betsy
One Sentence Review: I don't think anyone's going to argue that the art is fantastic here, but the story just can't seem to catch up to the premise.
Chelsy
Wow! Who knew Tony DeTerlizzi could pull off a sci-fi...!
It looked interesting enough sitting on a shelf at Barnes & Noble, but I don't read sci-fi; definitely not my main genre of interest. However, the illustrations are beautiful enough to make anyone want to read it.
Man, I am so glad I did. I almost stopped and left it in the middle, but the adventure the characters are experiencing keeps the fascination up, and the writing, though fairly simple, doesn't lag. The characters in general are
Wolf
This would have to be the absolute best book I have ever read, and that's saying something because I have been reading books since I was two years old. This is a wonderful, spellbinding, and creative novel written by the author of the Spiderwick Chronicles. The book takes place in the future, and it is about a 12 year old girl named Eva Nine, who has lived in an underground sanctuary her whole life, never having seen another human being, with only her protective robot guardian, M.U.T.H.R.(That s ...more
Lucy
Let me begin by encouraging anyone who is thinking about downloading the e-book edition of this story to go out and buy the real thing. In hardback. Trust me, it's worth it. A book this beautiful is meant to be printed and bound for art-enthusiasts and sci-fi/fantasy nerds everywhere to drool over.

Secondly, I'd like to congratulate DiTerlizzi on producing such a brilliant, original children's story. Not only is each chapter of this book beautifully illustrated by the author, the story itself suc
C.S. Einfeld
WondLa = Wonderful?

Meh, not so much.

I had a really hard time rating this book about Eva Nine, possibly the last human girl alive in an alien world.

There were a lot of things I really enjoyed about The Search For WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi: the main character, Eva, is very engaging, as is her "Muther" robot and many of the creatures she meets on her quest to find other humans and to escape the evil huntsman, Beesteel.

The story started as strong as any I've ever read. I recall--explicitly--sayi
Vincent Desjardins
Monica!
Guys, this book was fantastic. The illustrations were brilliant, the characters were PERFECT, and the little geek girl inside of me was in throes of delight for pretty much the entire story. Because seriously. Robots? Giant pill bugs? Adorable heroines with super-enviable hair? What's not to love?!

I'd have given it five stars if it wasn't for the way that the downloadable "WondLa-Vision" caused my computer to crash.
Alex
This book was one of my favourite books! I loved the whole fairy tale story going with it and I think they should make a second one! It was amazing and had little grammar errors. I enjoyed this book because I love to read fairy tales so I think that those who enjoy fairy tales would enjoy this book. I recommened this book for those who like adventure and fairy tales.
Rating: 7.5/10
Parental Rating: PG
Millenia

The WondLa books are so lovingly printed and bound, it's a pure joy to hold them. Endpapers have white-on-navy pictures of alien constellations; the table of contents area is beautifully laid-out, with an intruiguing alien landscape behind it; even the quotes at the beginning are laid out in colorful ink. There is even a map of the world and and alien alphabet, two lovely gifts for fans.

The artistry of production extends to the illustrations; wildly imaginative pictures of aliens, drawn
Kendra
***may contain a minor spoiler without revealing any plot information***
My 8 year old and I really enjoyed reading this book together...it combined the elements of science fiction that I like; being plunked down in a completely different realm and trying to figure it out with the character, some clues and connection to biology and astronomy. This is good dystopian fiction for those who may find the genre dark, or for younger kids who might be interested in the genre but not ready for the YA/Adul
Madeline Smoot
Eva Nine has never ventured out of her underground Sanctuary where she lives alone with her robot caretaker, Muthr. When she is finally forced out of her home by a strange sentient life form unlike anything in her Sanctuary’s database, she discovers that the world she live on is unlike the one she had expected. Instead of Earth trees and animals, she is faced with the dangerous creatures and aliens of Orbana. Hunted by one of the aliens while befriended by others, Eva sets out from her destroyed ...more
Erica
I would have liked more consistency throughout this story. I think the concept is wonderful, though perhaps a bit reminiscent of "Planet of the Apes", and the environment is imaginative and fun. It would be a fantastic romp for 8-13 year-olds.
Personally, however, I was disappointed by the shifting nature of both Eva Nine's and MUTHR's characters and not in a way that showed they were growing and becoming new people. Rather, I felt they had multiple personalities and I never knew which one I'd be
Katie
It's been a long time since I have read a Children's book that I have been this excited about! Tony DiTerlizzi also wrote The Spiderwick Chronicles. I've been reading it aloud to my children every night and it works for ages 2.5-10. The illustrations are beautiful and there are so many illustrations in it that my little ones enjoy it and can follow along too. The story weaves a fairytale about a girl that has been raised by her Muthr Robot underground and when she emerges it's not like anything ...more
Littlebearries
Story Title: 1/5 (Try saying "WondLa"... just try it... everyone I encountered who tried to read the cover or spine tripped over this word, it's not that it's difficult... just annoying.)
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 2/5
Ending: 4/5

Synopsis:
Eva has lived her entire life underground with her robot, Muthr. While running through countless tests to prepare her for the world above, it becomes all Eva can think about... being outside. One day, she gets her wish... but not in the way she had hoped. A Hunter atta
fingerwaltz
It's a sci-fi, fantasy-driven world with an in-depth human emotion of a young girl wanting to belong somewhere. I really enjoyed this book and took my time not to rush the pages, because it's THAT good.

What captured me was the title 'WondLa' which sounded like a wondrous place. I kind of had a hint at what it actually means but as the story came to an end, it brought a whole new definition to me; a very clever twist by the author (of course I wouldn't spoil it here). The story starts with a 12 y
Connor Grummer
Kristen
Why I read this: C'mon - it's Tony DiTerlizzi! Why wouldn't I read it???

Plot: A mix almost of the Wizard of Oz meets Alice in Wonderland, but set in the future on a planet far away. I can't even describe it right - but it was great. Full of adventure and discovery!

Characters: Eva is a curious girl and I would be too if I had grown up stuck indoors, only learning about the outside and never seeing it for myself. I definitely love her sense of adventure and her courageous heart.

Muthr is a great ch
Heidi
Huh. I just kind of...well, I nothinged this book. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it, it really drew no emotion from me whatsoever other than the longing for there to be something there. It's artwork is utterly stunning (it's the largest reason I kept going), but I couldn't help but think the entire time that I'd just recommend readers go find Zita the Spacegirl, Book One: Far from Home instead. Glad I borrowed rather than bought.
I'jaaz (The Magician of Mirrex)

People have reviewed and re-reviewed this book into the ground, so whatever I say is going to be a repeat of whatever everyone else has said. Nevertheless, this has been sitting in my mind for a long time, and it is demanding to be let out...

I. Seriously. Loved. Eva.

Seriously.

As a reader, I loved her ingenuity and her dedication to find her way in a world that has long since changed. But enough about that; it's time to get on to the book itself.

The book was extraordinarily intriguing. A 12 year
Kaethe
Feb 28, 2012 Kaethe marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Last night's trip I tried to collect things that would make for good read-alouds. We've been on hiatus since A Christmas Carol, but apparently the kids think it is time to resume. I missed it too.

Eva does something astoundingly dumb and then she encounters an oracle. I'm tired of prophecies, too tired to see if Eva realizes and regrets her stupidity.

Library copy.
Blue
The Search for WondLa is a fun page-turner and a good start to a long and epic tale. The fantastical world is well developed with many sci-fi and fantasy elements blended together. The illustrations are beautiful and insightful. The characters are also successful; they are imaginative, real, and interesting. The story has just started, I felt, so the next book should expand on what we know of the strange planet and its past. Perhaps one disappointing thing is that the place appears to be the one ...more
Michelle E.
I originally read the hardcover edition in November/December 2011. This is the paperback edition.
Re-read: September 24 to October 2; 2013

A touching story of love, acceptence, and overcoming the odds, set against a sci-fi backdrop.

(This is also the book that put me over last year's total page count this year; and ahead in October compared to last year, when I failed to finish a book the whole month long (I was deathly ill).)
Hannah  Walsh
Wow...such an awesome book. So imaginative and unlike anything I've ever read. The world this author created is just breathtaking. This book is sweet and just plain weird at the same time.

P.S The illustrations are one of my favorite things about it. Beautiful.

P.S.S Even though it's a long book page-wise...it flew by.

P.S.S.S The twist at the end blew me away. Aghhh!
Qt
I really liked this sci-fi, more than I thought I would (and I thought I would like it!). It was richer than I expected, the world and creatures are well-described, and the action is exciting--plus I like the fact that it is illustrated ;-)

Sophia Mick
This fabulously well written book makes is very hard to put down. I was absolutely absorbed in it from the time I started reading it until I put it down. It is the kind of book that makes you want to jump in to the pages and live inside of the world that the author has carefully crafted just for you.
To begin, the main character Eva Nine is wonderful, she is strong and smart. She is a very interesting and intriguing, not to mention well developed. The author writes her emotions and thoughts bea
Sword & Laser...: Emerging to find something missing 4 4 Oct 26, 2014 11:25PM
Sword & Laser...: Kids Only! 3 4 Oct 18, 2014 08:34AM
Sword & Laser...: Talk About The Book 6 3 Oct 17, 2014 05:52AM
Have you ever heard of it? 18 45 Oct 17, 2014 02:10AM
Is anyone else confused by this book? 13 73 Sep 01, 2013 06:46AM
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)
  • A Whole Nother Story
  • On the Blue Comet
  • The Kneebone Boy
  • The Mouse and His Child
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • The Wyrm King (Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Museum of Thieves (The Keepers, #1)
  • The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #1)
  • Aliens on Vacation
  • Down the Mysterly River
  • Deadweather and Sunrise (The Chronicles of Egg, #1)
  • The Silver Crown
  • The Big Orange Splot
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • The Secret of Zoom
  • The Clockwork Three
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator, Tony DiTerlizzi, has been creating books for over a decade. From his fanciful picture books like "Jimmy Zangwow’s Moon Pie Adventure", "Ted" and "The Spider & The Fly" (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like "Kenny and The Dragon" and the WondLa trilogy, Tony always imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he creat ...more
More about Tony DiTerlizzi...
Kenny and the Dragon A Hero For WondLa (WondLa, #2) The Battle For WondLa (WondLa, #3) The Spiderwick Chronicles Box Set (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-5) Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles: The Nixies Song, A Giant Problem, The Wyrm King  (Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-3)

“Tiny-perhaps." Rovender kept his eyes fixed on the rings. "Insignificant-never, Eva Nine. No living thing is insignificant.” 30 likes
“The real question one should ask when presented with a puzzle is, ‘Should I solve it? Do I really need to know the answer?” 13 likes