The Jewel of Asgard (80AD, #1)

The Jewel of Asgard (80AD #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Take a very ordinary, very unhappy 14 year old boy, Phoenix. He's bored by school, hates his step-father, feels like he has no control over his life. In fact, the only things he does like are computer games and martial arts.
Add a smart, miserable 14 year old girl, Jade. She's the youngest of seven girls; teased and picked on; a misfit; her own mother doesn't get her. All s...more
Published June 3rd 2011 by Aiki Flinthart, via Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about The Jewel of Asgard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jewel of Asgard

Amber
I recently found this book and the other books of this ebook series for free on Smashwords. This first book was a pretty good read!

Here is what the story is about:
14 year old Phoenix and Jade are both miserable at home (Phoenix has a hard time with his stepfather and Jade's mothers and sisters pick on her) and wish to escape their real lives. When they both retrieve a yin-yang necklace and a demo version of the new computer game 80AD that is not yet available to the public, they play it for a w...more
Dan Rogers
Phoenix, an only child, lives with his mom and stepfather in a very well to do neighborhood yet he is very discouraged with is life because his stepfather is always on his case for one thing or another. Jade, also disgruntled with her life, is the youngest of seven sisters. As such she is always being picked on by her siblings. Even her mother seems to find something wrong with everything she does. Each of them begin playing the pre-release version of a computer game called 80AD. Soon after begi...more
Richard
I got this book for free on the Nook but it is so good I would have gladly have paid for it.

The basic premise of the story is somewhat traditional, young people thrown into an adventure and expected to save the world. But the specifics in the way it is told is new to me. The characters each are playing a computer game, by some strange events they are thrown INTO the computer game, except that the world appears to be real.

Having some knowledge and enjoyment of computer games and Role-Playing Game...more
Heather
When I read the summary, I thought this could either be a bad version of Tron or a book that blossoms into its own. Luckily this was the latter. The plot was good; it was slow in a few places, but overall fairly fast. The only real drawback I saw was that the characters were not very well developed. Maybe it's the age difference between myself and the characters or that it's the first book in the series. Either way, I have the remaining four books so I intend to find out.
K.C. Finn
A light, fast-paced adventure that's highly enjoyable.
I was looking for a quick, fun read that wouldn't be too involved to enjoy bit by bit as I read it in between activities on holiday last week. I didn't know what I was getting into, because I enjoyed it so much that I am hell bent on continuing to read all the other four books in this brilliant series to see what happens at the end. All five books are free on Kindle and they are truly superb. I will be looking for more by this writer when I'm...more
Bill Tillman
This promises to be a great series of five books. The action is fast and well paced, the characters are interesting and show room for improvement of character. Well done
Kara
Very well written. if you like to read, game and like history, you'll love this book and the rest of the series!
J.L. Dobias
Apr 05, 2013 J.L. Dobias rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Adults and game players
Shelves: book-shelf-10
80AD level one The Jewel of Asgard by Aiki Flinthart

This novel reminded me of an MMORPG-oh wait-it really is an MMORPG. I think anyone hooked on those MMORPG's has often wondered what it would be like to be in the game-really in the game. If you're like me and you know that your avatars have all died at least 30 times or more then it's only a passing thought. One that you let go of really quickly.

Of course this one is a free one- in fact all five books are free- and that's all five levels. Of co...more
Alexander Bradley
Considering this is a free book, as is the rest of the series, the Author is either unaware of her talent for writing or simply doesn't care much for charging for the work.

From the first book in the series you can already tell how much thought and planning went into the series roots. The story seems well grasped and described as if someone had already been there and done it. Characters are rich with witty comments and realization of their current circumstances. Little is known about the quests u...more
Brie
Feeling disconnected from their families, unwanted, and alone two teenagers open up a pre-release game and step into a world unknown. Once in the world they find each other and become trapped in the game. Their only hope? Beat the levels in order to get out and get home. Jade and Phoenix are two loveable characters on an adventure we've all imagined from time to time. They come across an unlikely duo to join their team and try to defeat the level so they can get home. I like the adventures and i...more
Jenn Forte
This is a well-crafted story about a pair of young teens who end up being sucked into a reality based directly on a video game they play. The story is engaging, the characters feel real, and the story itself is well-paced and fun to read.

There are some grammatical and typographic errors in the book, but they are not overly distracting. The book and story are good for older children and teens to read. I enjoyed the story thoroughly and am looking forward to reading more from this author.
Alisha Jenkins
I loved this book.
It had Celtic/Welsh words in it a little bit which I liked because begin welsh i could understand what it meant before the book told you the translations.
Considering this book was free it was great and I really think the author should at least make some money from a job well done and start charging for it.
there wasn't really much I disliked about this book
Jenie
Pretty good read. Would not guess this were only an ebook; well-edited and decently written. Free for nook, but worth paying for. Young boys should enjoy the adventure, and Jade is a good character for girls to identify with. Recommended for age 12 and up, possibly 10, for young readers who like fantasy, Harry Potter, Narnia, or the Percy Jackson series.
Donald
I Really got into this book. I know it is a teen book, but sometimes they are the best ones to read. The Jewel of Asgard held my attention throughout the entire book. I couldn't put it down. I found it as well written as the Harry Potter Series.
Melissa Wullur
seems promising :) I'll make sure to read the rest..
Jonathan Westberg
Not very deep, but an enjoyable read.
Don
I would say this is a cross between the movies BIG, LOTR & Jewel of the Nile. I would agree with others that it might be more suited for young people than adults, but it is still rather exciting and interesting if you like science fiction, fantasy or time travel stories. I did enjoy the historical aspect of this book; it helped having Jade be well versed on history so she could help them in different situations. Having already read book #2, I have to say this is probably the best one, in tha...more
Sharon Kennedy
KG
I try not to expect too much from free ebooks. But the premise of 80AD caught my eye, and I went in hoping for the best. While it's certainly not the best book I've ever read, I can't say I was entirely disappointed.

The idea behind the book is fun. I've only had minimal experience with MMORPGs, but I can completely get the desire to disappear into a fantasy world for a while. And this also gave a good excuse for the characters to have incredible abilities with no tedious training scenes. Sure, I...more
May
Jan 24, 2013 May rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: e-books
INTERESTING... that what I would describe this book with!

The story is about a boy and a girl inter this game "80 AD", which is a multilayer online game... but they are only playing the demo... so they weren't supposed to meet at all... but they did.

There are few points that I didn't really like, like the way the story was told.. since there are two heroes (Phoenix and Jade) it shifted between them, at the beginning it was good but as the story moves on it wasn't as good!. The use of first and th...more
Parrot
I enjoyed this book, but I have to criticize a few things. The general plot was well written, and it kept me interested enough to read more. That being said, though, it seemed to me like this book was an example of a good first draft that could have used some more revisions before being released.

I would have liked to see the author spend more time developing her characters. I can see that he put in an effort to give them basic personalities, but he wrote those personalities into the story a litt...more
Parrot

Melissa Maffei
It was a very interesting book. I liked the story and the flow. A little bit of a slow start, but it was worth it because there was a lot of character development for our two main character. I do see how some people would want to kill Jade for all of her complaining, but I thing that is part of her development throughout the series. Though some of her complaining was a bit useful and honest, since she was thinking about the problem at hand and how one goes about it. Another character development...more
Devina
I downloaded this book because the premise reminded me of Sword Art Online, an anime, and I was wondering how similar the book was to the anime. The premise is similar - players stuck in a RPG and have to play the game to escape. That's where it ended. Where the anime was presumably written by people who are serious gamers, this one didn't feel believable. It was as if it stopped being a game, and became real. It was an ok YA book but that's about it.
Robert Mills
This is a book which is clearly aimed at a teenage audience. Although I haven't been a teenager for far more years than I care to admit, I was thoroughly absorbed in this book.
I downloaded it for free from Amazon, but I would happily have paid for it.
Sheena
I really liked it. The whole being-sucked-into-a-video-game concept is not unique but I like the historical aspect to it. And it feels like you're on the quests with the characters as you read. I'm so glad I got the whole series at once!
T. Blake
I read the first few chapters but couldn't go on. Maybe it is because my expectations were too high? The inconsistencies of the MMORPG rules we follow, I can get past. The pace kept interested enough. I think it was the the characters themselves? Whatever it is, something is missing.
Either way, I really wish there was something that kept me interested enough because I had downloaded all of them since they were free on top of my strong interest in the story line.
Brittany
I'll go with 3.5 stars. It was more of a plain like than a really like.

One thing that did really bother me was the boy suddenly getting upset and sick about killing people ( when he had been doing that for most of the book without remorse) and then a few pages over he was jumping into the fight seeming to love it again. If he was going to have this moral dilemma then I think it should have happened much earlier in the book.
Samacgillivray
This was my first download from Kobo as a free ebook. Really liked the easy read and quick pace. Story is kbased on two kids who both receive a prelease copy of a roal playing game called 80 AD and get transported inside the game and have to complete 5 quest inorder to get home. Good fun.
where to get the book 2 5 Dec 26, 2013 12:27PM
  • The Cypher (Guardians Inc. #1)
  • Rivals
  • Gamers (Gamers, #1)
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • The Adventure of the Devil's Foot
  • Angel Fall
  • The Dragon's Boy
  • Death's Angels
  • The Takers (The Oz Chronicles, #1)
  • Priscilla the Great (Priscilla the Great #1)
  • King Arthur: Dark Age Warrior and Mythic Hero
  • Diary of a Teenage Superhero (Teen Superheroes, #1)
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)
  • Legends (Legend of the White Dragon, #1)
  • Unhappily Ever After (The Librarian, #2)
  • Child of the Ghosts (Ghosts, #1)
  • Edgewood (Edgewood, #1)
  • Call of the Herald (The Dawning of Power, #1)
Aiki lives in Brisbane, Australia, with her husband, (Ernest), teenage son (Leonidis - not their real names, obviously), aging dog and directionally-challenged fish.
In between being a wife, running a business full-time and helping Leonidis with homework, she squeezes in a few hobbies, including:
Martial arts, painting, writing, reading, bellydancing and playing three or four musical instruments. Oc...more
More about Aiki Flinthart...
The Sudarshana (80AD, #4) The Hammer of Thor (80AD, # 2) The Tekhen of Anuket (80AD, #3) The Yu Dragon (80AD, #5) 80AD - The Tekhen of Anuket (Book 3)