Start by marking “King Conan: The Scarlet Citadel” as Want to Read:
King Conan: The Scarlet Citadel

King Conan: The Scarlet Citadel (King Conan #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Published February 28th 2012 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about King Conan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Conan

Steven Harbin
Read this in one sitting while at my local book store. Guess I'll have to buy it now that I've read it, huh? Seriously, this is one of my favorite Conan stories and I thought that Dark Horse did a great job of capturing the eerie, Lovecraftian feel of this Robert E. Howard tale of Conan's captivity in a deep dungeon with cavernous openings into a horrific underworld. All involved did a good story I though:
Writer:
José Villarrubia
Cover Artist:
Gerald
William Thomas
I have two brothers. No one would call what we did, or do, rough-housing. Its too violent, its not horseplay, its too vindictive. My ma used to call us belligerent animals. Just that exact phrase. Said she heard it on TV one night and had to look up the definition and said belligerent fit us to a tee. Even so, there wasn't anything like hatred in it. We all loved each other, still love each other, have a bloodbound sense of honor to each other, but, well, we just like to f#@$ each other up.

Alth
Unai
Si uno tiene el día para echar un ojo a Conan, que mejor manera que echándose a la cara las 100 paginas de esta adaptación del relato de Robert E. Howard, que nos presentaba a un viejuno Conan rey. Tiene todo lo que uno pudiera desear de una historia como esta. Un Conan ya viejo, rey contando a un escriba la historia de la ciudadela escarlata y de la conspiración para quitarle el trono que había obtenido con sus propias manos.

Tenemos brujos de varias cataduras, pero principalmente uno malo como
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Nueva adaptación a viñetas de "la Ciudadela Escarlata", publicada en Weird Tales hacia 1933 y ya traspasada a la historieta por Roy Thomas y Frank Brunner en 1978. La nueva revisión destaca por su esmero gráfico, respetando en lo posible las descripciones del autor sin sacrificar por ello la estética impuesta por Frazetta y sus seguidores para hacer de esta primera saga del "Rey Conan" una buena introducción a nuevos lectores.
Ben
An fun read. I liked the way this story played out. There are plenty of elements which make it a good Conan story here, but as an adaptation, then much of the credit there goes to Howard. However, the art and way it is brought together and with an older King Conan telling the story are all things which are special to this version of the story, and it works very nicely.

A nice start to the King Conan line, with good promise for the future.
Paul
Trapped in the dungeons beneath an evil wizard's scarlet stronghold, Conan must confront a slew of new challenges and foes as he fights to free himself and reclaim the throne of Aquilonia! Featuring duplicitous betrayers, sparring sorcerers, and all of the brutal excitement you've come to expect from the rampaging Cimmerian, this trade paperback collects the four-issue King Conan: The Scarlet Citadel adaptation.
Marko
Tim Truman has certainly found the heart of Conan's character and it was a shame when he stopped writing the main Conan storyline. However, the new King Conan story lines are a fine compensation for that loss. Very much worth a read!
David
Good.
Nice art.
Bit long winded of a story.
Told in rather stiff "fantasy" language,
which becomes quite annoying after a while.
TJ Shelby
"Why should I dwell on the past when I can dream of things I've yet to see?" - Conan, King of Aquilonia.

Great story.
Matthew
This graphic novel is an adaptation of a REH Conan story that is very well done.
Jason Boarman
Jason Boarman is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2015
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Timothy Truman is an American writer, artist and musician. He is best known for his stories and Wild West-style comic book art, and in particular, for his work on Grimjack (with John Ostrander), Scout, and the reinvention of Jonah Hex, with Joe R. Lansdale. Truman is currently writing Conan and is an instructor at the Pennsylvania College of Art and Design.

Truman's first professional comics work w
More about Timothy Truman...

King Conan (4 books)
  • King Conan: The Phoenix on the Sword
  • King Conan: The Hour of the Dragon
  • King Conan: The Conqueror
Conan, Vol. 6: The Hand of Nergal Conan, Vol. 7: Cimmeria Conan, Vol. 8: Black Colossus Star Wars Omnibus: Menace Revealed Star Wars Omnibus: Emissaries and Assassins