Start by marking “Sigmund Freud” as Want to Read:
Sigmund Freud

Sigmund Freud (Giants of Science)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Kathleen Krull proves Sigmund Freud deserves a place in her much-lauded series, because he essentially created a brand-new branch of medicine: psychoanalysis.
Published October 1st 2006 by Puffin Books

To ask other readers questions about Sigmund Freud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sigmund Freud

Ruth Ann
Aug 30, 2014 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read several other books in the Giants of Science series. All of them are well-researched, informative, and depict the scientist as a whole person, sharing family and individual personality information. I like how each scientist is depicted within the historical context of his life.
This particular book is probably the most controversial in that many people would not label Freud a true scientist. Yes he was a medical doctor and well-educated, but Freud did not use the scientific method of
Gabby
Sep 28, 2014 Gabby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigmund Freud was born on May 6, 1856 in Freiberg, Czech Republic. He studied medicine at the University of Vienna, and became interested in studying the human brain. He came up with his own theories about human behavior and invented a branch of science called psychoanalysis. The Viennese didn’t agree with him at first, but later, Freud’s psychoanalysis spread around the world. He used it to cure the soldiers that fought in World War I. He died on September 23, 1939 from mouth cancer.
The book se
Robert
Aug 18, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigmund Freud, siapa yang tidak mengenal nama tersebut? Bagi orang yang menyukai bidang Psikologi pastilah sudah sangat familiar dengan tokoh legendaris ini. Freud adalah Bapak Psikologi Modern, sang penemu Psikoanalisis, sebuah cabang ilmu Psikologi baru yang merevolusi bagaimana kita memandang pikiran manusia sebagai subjek sains yang bersifat pasti dan universal.

Buku yang ditulis Kathleen Krull dengan ilustrasi yang keren dari Boris Kulikov ini sebenarnya tak lebih dari rangkuman kisah biogra
Jackie
Mar 15, 2008 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-non-fiction
Kathleen Krull weaves magic with words. She introduces us to the life and the world of great scientists, in this case, Sigmund Freud. As Freud’s life is told in novel form, the story comes alive, rich with humorous anecdotes and everyday snippets of events and we are drawn more to the character of the man, rather than his contributions to science.

Having said that, Krull does methodically recount how Freud was influenced by other important scientists of his day and how he relished his interactio
Kaylabookworm22 L
I enjoyed reading this and learning about Freud. It was a fun read and strengthen my liking for psychology way more. I am very much into psychology.
Sonia Jarmula
Apr 06, 2012 Sonia Jarmula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I ordered this book from the library hoping to learn more about Freud's theories and practices, and came away with an abundance of knowledge about who he was as a doctor, a friend, a husband and a father. I expected an easy, bland children's book, (although I don't know many people-particularly children-interested in Freud) but I found that this gave me details about terribly cruel methods of curing mental illnesses, his relationships, journey through triumph and failure, his methods and so much ...more
Michael
Jul 07, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent overview of the life and ideas of Sigmund Freud. While the book is geared towards younger readers, everyone can appreciate the book's easy-to-read style and anecdotes that show she's put a lot of research into the book.

I believe Einstein once said to make everything as simple as possible but not simpler. Kathleen Krull has done just that: she takes Freud's complicated ideas and life, and she presents them simply without distorting them through simplification.
Tara
Jul 16, 2013 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so delightful to read. Although written for younger readers, I found it a good intro to Freud's work. It highlights the major points in his work and how these were developed through his own internal drives, and acknowledged his groundbreaking work in the area, whilst acknowledging the lack of scientific evidence for his theories.

I would highly recommend this for anyone who wants a quick summary of Freud without getting bogged down in scholarly texts.
Jemayla
I wanted to learn a little bit about the man and this book gave me just the right amount of information I was wanting. :) I love junior non-fiction.
Pattie Babbitt
Kathleen Krull is a great biography writer for kids! Quick read, and I loved the last sentence. I totally want a pair of fuzzy Freudian slippers!!!
Maria
Sep 03, 2009 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, but I question whether the intended age range would enjoy this title. How many 11 year-olds are interested in Freud?
Yesse   (Within_the_Pages)
Read this more for my own personal interest in psychology. The book itself was alright.
~mars~xp
Jul 26, 2008 ~mars~xp is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this immensely.
Ksych
Ksych marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Elena Aizen
Elena Aizen rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Stella
Stella marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Daiana
Daiana marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Mango Gay
Mango Gay rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Dhiren Reef
Dhiren Reef rated it did not like it
Jun 14, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Arash Ashrafzadeh
Arash Ashrafzadeh marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Giants of Science (7 books)
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • Leonardo Da Vinci: Giants of Science #1
  • Albert Einstein (Giants of Science)
  • Charles Darwin
  • Isaac Newton (Giants of Science, 2)
  • Marie Curie