Start by marking “In Want of a Wife?” as Want to Read:
In Want of a Wife?

In Want of a Wife?

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

To Lizzy Sharp, businessman Louis Jumeau is a reallife Mr. Darcy: insufferably proud, infuriatingly prejudiced...and impossibly goodlooking!

Louis knows exactly what golddigging families like the Sharps are after—his money. But the universally acknowledged truth is that this billionaire needs a wife.

Independent Lizzy might not seem the perfect candidate, but her curves ar
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In Want of a Wife?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Want of a Wife?

seton
Recognize the title?

It's a phrase from the famous first line of Pride and Prejudice: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." This is suppose to be a riff on P&P for the M&B/Harlequins whores like moi but the author brought nothing original nor witty to the table. Instead, it's a weird, disjointed, tired hodge-podge that has the hero saying whoppers like "Little wonder that your mother’s given up on your chanc
Sapheron
Aug 15, 2011 Sapheron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: remake
Listen, it was more of a 3.5, but I felt it deserved better than the 1.6 stars that it currently has here on goodreads. I think Cathy did a very good job of making the story work in our time. One thing I was a little curious about was how Lizzy in this adaptation was the one to fall in love first. Louis was more or less our typical HP/MB hero in that he didn't realize he loved her until he'd pretty much lost her. I wonder if the author was trying to make it all more like what we're used to in HP ...more
Kate
Nov 06, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
Overall rating -- 3.5 stars

A pretty standard HP. As other reviewers have mentioned, it's a retelling of Pride and Prejudice, but I don't take offense to this as that's what it was supposed to be -- it's part of HP's "The Powerful the Pure" series which all retold classics (Emma, Wuthering Heights, etc.).

While I enjoyed the book, I wish the author had focused on the themes of the book (the pride and the prejudice) instead of being compelled to follow the P&P so closely -- the heroine didn't n
Laura's Book Addiction
Apr 16, 2011 Laura's Book Addiction rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2011
I loved the Mills & Boon Modern retelling of Pride & prejudiced. Louis the Mr Darcy of this story is everything Mr Darcy should be and swoon I want him to cook me a meal not because it would taste good but because it would be hot watching him make it.I loved Lizzy from the begining of the book and her spirit and love for her other four sisters. This is my second retelling of Pride & Prejudiced and I have watched both films aswell and still I haven't read the classic which I must real ...more
Alina Valentine
Apr 26, 2011 Alina Valentine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A modern version of Pride and Prejudice, not original.
Nina
Teresa
Aug 26, 2014 Teresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Até gosto de uma história de amor simples mas a Lizzy é uma chata sempre a pôr em causa tudo o que o Louis diz ou faz.
Alison
Sep 01, 2014 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very Pride and Prejudice esque, but the love scenes are clunky and the hero and heroine don't have much of a spark.

A reasonably enjoyable effort though.
Amanda
Jan 09, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I had hoped this would be a moderately good adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, but it was a kind of boring copycat. The plot pretty much mirrored P&P, but in a less memorable way. I also didn't really buy that there would be a modern family so desperate to marry off their five daughters. This wasn't very imaginative or very exciting, and was overall a disappointment.
Smriti Jain
its a copy of Pride and prejudice ... but a good one
Lisa
Jan 01, 2016 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january-2016
It was okay. It didn't impress me very much i'm afraid.
Booked
Jun 15, 2014 Booked rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Tawnya
Jun 02, 2013 Tawnya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an excellent book!!! Anyone who took time to read the synopsis on the back would have known from the beginning the author was doing her version of an modern day Pride and Prejudice. And not criticize a book for seeming that way. I won't read a book without the synopsis first grabbing my attention, apparently there are some who will and than try to make an author sound awful for what the publisher was up front about from the beginning.
Diane
Oct 15, 2011 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hp, romance, contemporary
a modern-day Pride and Prejudice in an HP! some of the other HP authors have been doing their own re-writes of classics and did not succeed in capturing my attention, but this book actually works for me. the hero is a pain, but he is loyal to his friends, and the heroine is a sharp-tongued teacher who does not want to fall for this man who thinks her family is out to entrap any unsuspecting male with money. i will be re-reading this one!
Melissa Maxwell
Dec 27, 2012 Melissa Maxwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never got the title of the book because yes Louis wants a wife eventually he is not searching for one. This book had a feel of pride and prejudice even with her name , Lizzy. I felt the love but something was just missing.
Denae
Pride and Prejudice, but with sex and motorcycles. I still don't know why this was on my nook to begin with, but it filled a couple hours.
Nenna
Jul 20, 2013 Nenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Another modern Pride and Prejudice retelling. Inoffensive, but you're better off with Hank Green's Lizzie Bennet Diaries.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Powerful and the Pure
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Powerful and the Pure
Rachel Coke
Rachel Coke rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Irma04
Irma04 rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Lisa Clarke
Lisa Clarke rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Alphena
Alphena rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2016
Sarah Elizabeth
Sarah Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2016
  • The Return of the Stranger
  • Craving the Forbidden (The Fitzroy Legacy #1)
  • The Fearless Maverick (Bad Blood, #4)
  • The Heartless Rebel (Bad Blood, #5)
  • The Illegitimate Tycoon (Bad Blood, #6)
  • The Man Every Woman Wants
  • An Offer She Can't Refuse
  • The Power and the Glory (The Marshalls, #2)
  • The Thorn in His Side
  • Surrender to the Past
  • Jewel in His Crown
  • A Christmas Night to Remember
  • The Night that Changed Everything
  • The Lone Wolfe (Bad Blood, #8)
  • The Secret Baby Scandal: The Count's Secret Child\The Sandoval Baby
  • The Ice Prince (Orisini Brides, #1)
  • Passion and the Prince
  • Monarch of the Sands
Cathy Williams was born in the island of Trinidad, the West Indies. She is a great believer in the power of perseverance as she had never written anything before (apart from school essays a lifetime ago!) and from the starting point of zero has now fulfilled her ambition to pursue this most enjoyable of careers. She would encourage any would-be writer to have faith and go for it!

She has been writi
More about Cathy Williams...