Start by marking “Shudderville” as Want to Read:
Shudderville

Shudderville (Shudderville #1)

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  140 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Sophie will do anything to get her dead daughter back.

After losing her husband and child in a traffic accident, she spends her evenings alone with a bottle of Stoli, eavesdropping on her feuding neighbors.

Then one day, the strange man next door makes a startling offer - he will bring her daughter back from the dead. All she has to do is make a wish.
Published 2011

To ask other readers questions about Shudderville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shudderville

Candy
Nov 20, 2012 Candy rated it it was amazing
Confession: I only chose this book to read because I was sick of seeing Christmas trees up already around town. I'm pretty sure they started putting the things up in March this year and I wanted something semi-evil to read or at least something a little twisted. I couldn't find a book with a killer snowman or something so this won out by sheer "make me forget the words to Jingle Bell Rock" force.

I wasn't really expecting too much. I usually catch on really quick to this genre and know the storyl
Karen Luellen
Jun 18, 2012 Karen Luellen rated it it was amazing
Five Stars to this POWERFUL Psychological Thriller

I'm still a bit dazed and creeped out.

Zabriskie is relentless in her gift as a storyteller of psychologically terrifying tales. Her words aren't just descriptive...no, lots of writers can do that. What makes Zabriskie's writing different is that she made me EXPERIENCE the story. Sophie's trauma wasn't just painted for me, it was painted IN me. I FELT her ache of self-loathing as she gulped glass after glass of wine, trying hopelessly to deaden t
David Caldwell
First off this is a serial. It is not a short story or a full story. It is part of a larger serialized novel. Don't expect an ending or all of the story threads to be tied up in a neat little bow. You will be left with questions probably that will hopefully be answered in a later installment. In a lot of ways it is like a TV show , like Lost or the X-Files, where you get a little more of the story each week along with a lot more questions.

This first installment gives a wish fulfillment story. Af
Don Bradshaw
This is the first that I've read anything by this author and she did not disappoint with this mind bending short. Sophie and her oddball neighbors find themselves tempted by "the devil" who will grant any one wish. That wish, sealed with a kiss is not quite what you think it will be though.
Lauren Stoolfire
Dec 24, 2013 Lauren Stoolfire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Like The Twilight Zone crossed with Supernatural - just keep in mind dangerous demon deals are sealed with a kiss and always come with a price.

Not bad for a Kindle freebie!
Elise Marion
Oct 15, 2012 Elise Marion rated it it was amazing
This is a departure from my normal reading material, but anytime a book can play with my mind the way this one did, I'm totally hooked! I could so see this as a movie. The oddball characters and pacy storytelling kept me interested throughout, and the mystery of who Sophie's neighbors are and what they're up to kept me guessing. As a heroine, Sophie is a tragic figure...a woman who has lost everything and is flailing about hopelessly in an attempt to live her life. When presented with an opportu ...more
Hannah
May 05, 2013 Hannah rated it it was ok
Shelves: ok
Maybe my expectations were too high after reading all the glowing reviews. People kept comparing this to the Twilight Zone, but I beg to differ. As a lifelong Twilight Zone fan who's seen every episode multiple times, it's kind of insulting to compare something this predictable and banal to The Twilight Zone. There was nothing special or riveting or unique about this. The whole "be careful what you wish for" theme has been done and done again, and if you want to make it stand out, it's gotta be ...more
larri a mishko
Apr 25, 2016 larri a mishko rated it really liked it
Shudderville fun and frights

Engaging, exciting! Am ready for more. Very interesting concept. It reads like a tv series. Can't wait to see what's around the corner
Franz McLaren
Jul 08, 2012 Franz McLaren rated it it was amazing
Sophie, a reclusive young woman on her own since the death of her husband and child, is stuck in an apartment between two feuding neighbors. This alone would be the basis for an interesting story. However, in Mia Zabriski's Shudderville this is only the setting for a much darker tale. This feud goes beyond loud music played late at night. These neighbors share a horrible secret. A secret that gently pulls Sophie toward its terrible embrace.

Shudderville is a deliciously macabre tale made to be r
Ana
May 23, 2013 Ana rated it really liked it
Amazon suggested that I might like this series based on other books that I had ordered before. I was intrigued by the concept since I am a big fan of the paranormal/horror genre of books. I figured for 99 cents even if I didn't like it, I wouldn't be out a lot of money.

The story is definitely interesting enough to keep you intrigued although it is a bit predictable as far as what happens to the character Sophie in the first installment. I am intrigued to see how the rest of the story will unfold
Sarah Williams
Jul 14, 2012 Sarah Williams rated it it was amazing
This story grabs you immediately and draws you into a sinister tale that's impossible to put down. The author creates a wonderfully eerie atmosphere that is made tense and unnerving as each piece of a dark puzzle is gradually revealed. I became totally absorbed by Sophie's plight and simply had to keep reading to find out what would happen next. Although this is a short story it is packed with thrills. Shudderville is one of the spookiest things I've read in a long time.
Maryann Stearns
Jun 24, 2013 Maryann Stearns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading Shudderville; 1-10 by Mia Zabriskie, and it was amazing! I loved every minute of it, and I'll probably read it again. Yes. It was that good. Fabulous characters, weird happenings, mystery, horror, love, death, and the way the characters were intertwined was genius. I highly recommend this series. Just read it!! ...more
Gwen Nicodemus
Dec 11, 2012 Gwen Nicodemus rated it really liked it
A lot of people have reviewed this indicating that it took them by surprise and stuff like that. It didn't take me by surprise. I wasn't 100% on my specifics in my guess at the end, but I was pretty close.

That said, it was still pretty good. The author did a pretty good job of getting you into the main character's sad, sad head.
Claire Fun
short but sweet...well, not sweet, per se. an interesting little start to a series, am intriguing little plot and a nicely descriptive, almost-too-flowery-but-not-quite writing style. it kept my interest and made me want to read more. it is *very* short, but an interesting freebie.
Nikki Tenniswood
Jan 25, 2013 Nikki Tenniswood rated it really liked it
yeah yeah it wasn't excellently enticing, but enough horror to keep me going, and I keep buying the next serious... I think there is only four out now, but you better believe 5, 6, to whatever will be in my Kindle library
Alex
Mar 14, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-or-die
This is the kind of short story that would make an excellent TV series, if picked up by the right broadcaster.

I did see a nod to Supernatural in there, but not so much that it was a blatant ripoff.
John
Oct 23, 2012 John rated it did not like it
Poorly written, badly paced, and full of cliche. I don't think the author knew what she wanted to accomplish.
Kathy Brackin
Aug 23, 2012 Kathy Brackin rated it really liked it
Really good short story can't wait to read part two to see what happens and what Carrie's wish is....
Lori Weis coffman
Feb 10, 2013 Lori Weis coffman rated it it was ok
Expected more. Not bad but very predictable and not as unique as the reviews made it out to be. Blah, blah.
Heather Mahley
Jul 22, 2013 Heather Mahley rated it it was amazing
Great book. Highly recommend this to everyone. Starting part 2 right now.
Addy
Aug 08, 2013 Addy rated it it was amazing
Loved it! At the end, I was stomping my feet! Gotta read the second one now:)
Mishy
Aug 22, 2013 Mishy rated it really liked it
a good easy holiday read.
Heather Mcclesket
Heather Mcclesket marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it did not like it
Aug 01, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Macy and Noah
Macy and Noah rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2016
Joy Jensen
Joy Jensen marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • WISH (Shudderville Episodes 1 - 8)
  • The Good Girls
  • Creepy: A Collection of Scary Stories (Creepy #1-3)
  • The Edge of Life
  • The Living And The Dead
  • The Shores of Space
  • Patient Zero
  • Text Message
  • The Vampire in the Iron Mask (Spinoza Series #3)
  • The Night Girl: The Complete Series (All 8 Books)
  • The Resurrected: Part One
  • Messages
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 205

Shudderville (8 books)
  • Shudderville 2
  • Shudderville 3 (The Shudderville Chronicles)
  • Shudderville 4 (The Shudderville Chronicles)
  • Shudderville 5 (The Shudderville Chronicles)
  • Shudderville 6