Start by marking “The Monty Hall Problem: The Remarkable Story of Math's Most Contentious Brain Teaser” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Monty Hall Problem...

Jason Rosenhouse

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Mathematicians call it the Monty Hall Problem, and it is one of the most interesting mathematical brain teasers of recent times. Imagine that you face three doors, behind one of which is a prize. You choose one but do not open it. The host--call him Monty Hall--opens a different door, always choosing one he knows to be empty. Left with two doors, will you do better by stic ...more
Published May 4th 2009 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about The Monty Hall Problem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monty Hall Problem

Richard Derus
Rating: 3.5* of five

This review of a completely bewildering and very important mathematics-related book has been revised and can now be found, feeling itself out of place no doubt among all the lit and smut, at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.
Ed Erwin
Mar 01, 2016 Ed Erwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, math
When I first encountered the so-called "Monty Hall problem", I refused to believe the correct answer. I wasn't the only one. Some of the best mathematicians got it wrong, too. And like them, I was convinced I was right.

This book proves the correct answer in multiple ways. After the fourth or fifth proof it finally clicked in my head.

After that, the various additional proofs and variations did get boring to me, so I skimmed lots of them. But there's more! Apart from the mathematical problem itsel
Peter Flom
Mar 14, 2013 Peter Flom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
The Monty Hall problem is, by far, the most contentious math problem ever. I will attempt to unravel some of its complexity, and I will also review a book about the problem.

Here is how I will proceed:

1. Statement of the Monty Hall Problem and brief notes on history

2. The answer to the Monty Hall Problem

3. Intuitive approaches to the Monty Hall Problem

4. Monte Carlo/computer programming approaches to solving the Monty Hall Problem

5. A formal proof of the solution

6. A book review (beyond what's in
Maurizio Codogno
Ricordate il paradosso di Monty Hall? Lo trovate anche su Wikipedia, http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problema... . Siete concorrenti di uno show, e dovete scegliere una di tre porte, sapendo che dietro una sola di esse c'è un premio: dopo che avete fatto la scelta, il presentatore apre una delle altre due porte - scegliendone una senza premio, e prendendone una a caso se può farlo. A questo punto vi chiede se volete cambiare la vostra scelta. Che fate? La maggior parte delle persone, compresi molti ...more
Rick
Jan 30, 2010 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very novel and interesting book.

In a nutshell:

"You are shown three identical doors. Behind one of them is a car. The other two conceal goats. You are asked to choose, but not open, one of the doors. After doing so, Monty, who knows where the car is, opens one of the two remaining doors. He always opens a door he knows to be incorrect, and randomly chooses which door to open when he has more than one option (which happens on those occasions where your initial choice conceals the car). After openi
Neal Alexander
Apr 06, 2013 Neal Alexander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Symmetry arguments in maths can be misleading. When a magazine published the optimal strategy for the Monty Hall TV game, angry professors wrote in saying it was nonsense, then had to eat humble pie because their intuition had let them down. Now there’s a whole book on the problem, and it starts with convincing explanations of why that strategy really is optimal. In fact the author’s ambition is to use it as a way in to all the main branches of statistics: hence ‘Bayesian Monty’, ‘Monty Meets Sh ...more
Kyle Bunkers
Mar 29, 2014 Kyle Bunkers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't ever seem to be disappointed by Jason Rosenhouse's books, and this book heartily lives up to that standard. Dr. Rosenhouse does a great job of explaining the possible solutions to the Monty Hall problem and looking at why we poor humans are so bad at getting the solution. He also takes us through a bunch of variations of the Monty Hall problem, which if the original didn't trip you up, you are almost assuredly going to be tripped up by one variation or other.

The book is clear, and doesn'
Georges
Jun 24, 2010 Georges rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ciências
Um livro intrigante sobre um problema aparentemente simples que gerou polêmicas e mais polêmicas. Alguns momentos de muita matemática que um leitor desavisado perde o controle de seu cérebro que devem ser superados para chegar no excelente capítulo sobre as questões cognitivas ou o porque nossa mente não é capaz de fazer boas análises de probabilidade e risco. As variantes do problema são interessantes principalmente a que entra dois jogadores pois parece muito o mercado de ações que cada um sab ...more
Brian
Jul 08, 2010 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I have been fascinated by the Monty Hall problem ever since I first read about it in the late 1980's. Like the author, I started a file folder with notes about it, never even contemplated publishing what I had gathered. It was agood thing, too, because this author has done a much better job then I ever could have done.

While the analysis of the problem itself is fascinating, the research into why we have such difficulty understanding the problem is even more so. Why is it so counter-intuitive fo
Eric
Nov 16, 2009 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is probably the best book you'll ever read about the Monty Hall problem. :) Its a very well written book, Jason Rosenhouse is an engaging writer, but there's only so many different ways you can analyze the Monty Hall problem before the book gets tedious.

If you like math/science nonfiction at all, I guarantee you'll like some of this book. But by the end, you'll know more than you probably wanted to about the Monty Hall problem.

With that caveat, I recommend it.
Chris Moyer
Feb 28, 2012 Chris Moyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, quick read (if you are a math genius or willing to skim some of the denser bits.)

I really enjoyed 2/3s of the chapters. The endless variations and calculations got a bit boring after a while, though. It was great to get to the psychology and philosophy chapters which really brought a neat take to the topic.

I just read a whole book on one brain teaser/math problem... I'm quite ageek.
David Daniele
Feb 07, 2013 David Daniele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book especially if you enjoy statistics and game shows. Towards the end of the book the math gets very heavy and dry to prepare yourself for that. I've had the pleasure of having Dr. Rosenhouse for multiple math classes at JMU and his humor definitely shows throughout the book. Overall, an enjoyable read and I highly recommend it to any math/stat person especially.
Jerry Smith
Interesting as an explanation of the Monty Hall problem itself, especially the account of the early disputes as the the correct solutions. However Rosenhouse is true to his word that he loves math and when his narrative gets into the (for me anyway) more esoteric matters of prbablility generally he lost my interest completely and therefore the book ended up unfinished.
Kiên Trần
Aug 18, 2013 Kiên Trần rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stats
just like most anybody else, I came to the wrong answer which the odd is 50/50 when first encountering this subtle probability interpretation called Monty Hall Problem. And this book is a must-read related directly to those variations which provides us a full ideas in this issue.
Lloyd
Feb 14, 2012 Lloyd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting topic, accurately introduced and explained, but this is really an essay stretched to book length.
Peter
Jun 20, 2010 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, readable introduction to statistics.
Supriya Karnani
Supriya Karnani marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Francesco
Francesco marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Pankaj
Pankaj marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Matthew Flood
Matthew Flood rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Mark Goodrich
Mark Goodrich rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Craig Golden
Craig Golden rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
H. Gates
H. Gates marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Bill Fallon
Bill Fallon rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Sara F
Sara F marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Jacob Mortensen
Jacob Mortensen is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Mediana
Mediana marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016