Start by marking “Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America” as Want to Read:
Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America

Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America (Kaufman Field Guides)

Comprehensive yet compact, authoritative yet easy to understand, this is the perfect guide for anyone who wants to know more about the fascinating and diverse insects of North America.

Many insects are difficult even for the experts to identify, but here readers will find a wealth of information on the amazing observable behaviors of insects and their fascinating life histo
Unknown Binding, 392 pages
Published February 28th 2007 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America

Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America by Eric R. EatonNational Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildfl... by National Audubon SocietyWetland Plants of Ontario by Alan G. HarrisMushrooms Demystified by David AroraNational Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mammals by National Audubon Society
Best Nature Field Guides
1st out of 27 books — 6 voters
The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America by David Allen SibleyNational Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America... by Jonathan AlderferLichens of the North Woods by Joe WalewskiA Field Guide to Pacific States Wildflowers by Theodore F. NiehausSpiders of the North Woods by Larry Weber
Best Field Guides
24th out of 63 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Madeline
Aug 08, 2016 Madeline rated it it was amazing
An excellent field guide for the aspiring entomologist or insect hobbyist. Eaton is accurate and vivid in his discretions and the pictures in the guide are stunning and helpful.
Anna Nesterovich
Feb 14, 2015 Anna Nesterovich rated it did not like it
Shelves: birdwatching
Who told the authors it can be called a "field guide"??? Which way the redactors were looking? It's as terrible as it can possibly be. Something like "This family has 31 species, but we will only mention one name and give you one picture. We also will not give you any clues on what the differences between the species in the family might be or where you can find it's representatives."
As a superficial review of North American insects it may work, but it is not a field guide, not in the slightest.
Shalandra Rivera
Oct 24, 2014 Shalandra Rivera rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
My first and favourite insect field guide. It's so beautiful and the picture are absolutely perfect (I don't know what the heck is wrong with these folks and their review, the photos are brilliant and the design is OH so easy to navigate, it's like breathing.
But they are true on one thing: they definitely compromise a nice design/many photographs and compactness/portability for details. Not much details at all and if there is detail, it's probably not the detail you'll want :(
BUT then again, w
Ken
Jun 05, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it
It is impossible to get a comprehensive field guide for insects. I was looking for a good basic one just for Ohio. There are just too many species out there. After looking at a number of guide books, I decided on this one. I am content with my purchase. It has enough for ID purposes of major insect groups. I really like the images. If I need something really detailed or more exact, I will rely on the naturalists in the local parks here in NE Ohio.

Dennis McDonald
May 07, 2016 Dennis McDonald rated it really liked it
I bought this at my local birding store on Fern Street, One Good Tern, here in Alexandria VA. I figured if they only carried one insect guide it would be the one they thought best, and I was right.

I had read all the field-guide-to-insect book reviews and had come away totally confused. Everyone admits right from the start that you can't possible cover all North American insects in a single portable volume so I was expecting great selectivity in whatever I chose.

This one is very easy to use and
Artful Abuela
Mar 16, 2016 Artful Abuela rated it liked it
a generally good sampling, but not nearly as complete as i had hoped. sparse in description.
David Traver Adolphus
May 30, 2014 David Traver Adolphus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: field-guides
My #1 all-time favorite field guide. I've read it cover-to-cover, twice.
Melanie
Jul 28, 2015 Melanie added it
Shelves: homeschool
Great for bug identification
Dani
Aug 03, 2012 Dani rated it really liked it
The best insect field guide available at my local Barnes & Noble, and probably one of the better ones out there - covers enough species so that you can narrow an unknown insect down to a family, at least, and then go from there by searching online. As it is, though, it does have a lot of species represented in it, and so far I've only ID'ed maybe 3? species that weren't represented in the guide. Also, it's plenty portable (might even fit in a large pocket), unlike some of the other "field gu ...more
Bob Peterson
Jan 26, 2013 Bob Peterson rated it it was amazing
Most field guides to the insects are not particularly useful simply because the sheer number of species exceeds what any guide can cover. This book, though, is the exception. It is a highly useful field guide and it continually amazes me how often the insect you find in the field is also in the book. Some of my photographs are in the book, but I would feel the same about the book without this fact.
 Sara
Mar 01, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-nature
my favorite insect guide. It seems to have nearly everything I find, or a close enough relative to make ID much easier, and it emphasizes that there are many more species out there. Just enough information on each bug. love it.
John
Feb 21, 2011 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature, insects
Very good guide to the most common North American insects. However, there are so many insects that it is impossible for the guide to cover all of them, so not every insect can be identified with this book.
Mel
May 30, 2009 Mel rated it it was amazing
My constant companion to help identify insects I find in the garden. I only wish that it showed even more insects than it already does - which are quite a few!
Joseph Saborio
Feb 01, 2009 Joseph Saborio rated it it was amazing
The best I've come across yet for IDing insects. With this and the National Wildlife Federation's, you can't go wrong.
Jules Hucke
Jun 27, 2012 Jules Hucke rated it it was amazing
My kid and I are obsessed with this book. Great learning tool for both of us as we prowl the backyard.
Dezenejoyel Huber
Jul 29, 2013 Dezenejoyel Huber rated it really liked it
A decent field guide. Ruggedly built, which is also important for a book like this.
Hallie Huffman
Sep 26, 2016 Hallie Huffman rated it really liked it
LOVED THIS BOOK! So much information and the pictures are top quality.
Joshua
Oct 11, 2012 Joshua rated it it was amazing
way cool.
April
April rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Nicole
Nicole added it
Sep 10, 2016
Allysson Murphy-Floyd
Allysson Murphy-Floyd marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Casey Wilkinson
Casey Wilkinson marked it as to-read
Matthew Herrin
Matthew Herrin marked it as to-read
Sharron
Sharron rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies
  • The Crossley ID Guide: Raptors
  • Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide
  • A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America
  • Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks (Peterson Field Guides)
  • Garden Insects of North America: The Ultimate Guide to Backyard Bugs
  • Tracking and the Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking
  • A Field Guide to the Birds of Borneo, Sumatra, Java, and Bali: The Greater Sunda Islands
  • The Warbler Guide
  • From Neuron to Brain: A Cellular and Molecular Approach to the Function of the Nervous System (4th Edition)

Kaufman Field Guides (4 books)
  • Kaufman Field Guide to Mammals of North America