Start by marking “Black for Remembrance” as Want to Read:
Black for Remembrance

Black for Remembrance

Caroline Webb knows what it means to lose the person you love most. Twenty years ago, her five-year-old daughter, Hayley, was the light of her life, her treasure, her angle. Then came the terrible day when Hayley was kidnapped from her favorite swing. More than a month passed before her burned, lifeless body was found. All that remained was the silence of Caroline's hearta ...more
Published December 15th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Black for Remembrance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black for Remembrance

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussHarold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonIsland of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'DellAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Colorful Book Titles
344th out of 411 books — 65 voters
The Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerGraceling by Kristin CashoreBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie Meyer
127th out of 184 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Mar 06, 2008 Kristy rated it really liked it
good detail and story line and make you see several people as possible suspects --- a good read - most friends finish in 2 days ... will read more books by her ... I liked her writing ,
Angie crosby
Aug 11, 2008 Angie crosby rated it really liked it
Shelves: alex, suspense
Good book. Bothersome in that it could be true. Not too farfetched in this day and age. Well written and it flowed very fast. An I can't put it down book. Bothers me the thought that it could happen. Still I liked it. The revenge nature of it when looking back knowing the killer is great. It's been 19 years since Carolines daughter was murdered, the killer never found. She has a new family now. When strange things begin to happen on what would have been Hayley's 25 birthday Caroline realizes tha ...more
Sep 30, 2009 Karen rated it liked it
Caroline Webb is a mother of 2 (a teen boy and an 8-year-old girl) and a wife to a doctor, whom she once worked for when she was married to her 1st husband.

Twenty years prior, Caroline's world was rocked as her 5-year-old daughter, Hayley, was taken from her family. In the present day, people somehow connected to Hayley are being frightened and even killed.

This was an okay murder/mystery novel. There was one point where I suspected everybody, even husbands and ex-husbands. I felt somewhat sorry
Dec 04, 2009 Marie rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a super quick, super easy read with an absorbing mystery, this is it. Everyone is suspect and that is a rare thing for an author to be able to do, in my opinion. There is usually a set line between the characters who may be suspect and those that are definitely suspect. Not so in this book. I had a hard time putting this book down and ended up reading it in just two sittings. I am loving this author.
This is a sad story, but it happens in this day and age.. has you on your toes.. Can't put it down...
Jun 29, 2010 Becky rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, and i will be looking forward to reading more books by her. It did freak me out a little because i have a little girl.
Apr 16, 2011 Bea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good mystery thriller. Although I had an idea of a couple of people who might be the killer (and one of them was), I never thought it was for the reason it turned out to be! Very suspenseful and twisty. Good characterizations with believable people populating the story. A read-until-I-finish book!
Feb 20, 2011 Dawn rated it it was ok
I thought that this book sounded intriguing but then found that it was not as good as I would have expected. Certain things bothered me but one thing in particular--what police officer divulges every detail of an open case to people who are supposed to be suspects? That occurs in this book and after that I was not about to take anything else seriously. Poor attempts to make the reader think that everyone is a suspect except the actual murderer. I had the book figured out very early on. Disappoin ...more
Mar 23, 2011 Calli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Fast moving mystery with some odd twists. It seems very strange to me, though, that the mother seemed fine with her eight-year-old daughter watching Guiding Light like an after-school special -- really?!
Diane Morasco

First time novelist Carlene Thompson proves she is definitely a star on the rise in this deliciously plotted chiller. Thompson pulls no punches showcasing her high caliber writing gymnastics & leaves her imprint for those iconic writers in the suspense/thriller genre.

Thompson saturates Black for Remembrance with brilliant, interesting & frightening characters that are not just placed there as “red herrings”, but are key to propelling the delicious goose bump inducing novel forward, back
May 04, 2011 Marlu rated it did not like it
This book seemed like it had potential to be pretty good, but the writing style seemed elementary and vague at times. I didn't feel a connection to the characters either. I hope more recent books by this author will be better.
Kate S
Aug 16, 2013 Kate S rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I am not a big fan of books which depict crimes against kids. That said, the crime against the youngster in question happened before the story begins and is only touched upon in detailed flashbacks occasionally. The story ended up being a little more bizarre than I was ready to accept.
Aug 22, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Yes, I'm giving this trashy read 5 stars. It's like V.C. Andrews meets R.L. Stine and I loved every page of it.
Jessie Shelton
Sep 28, 2012 Jessie Shelton rated it it was amazing

This is the third book I have read by this author, and this is my favorite so far. Very suspenseful and kept me on the edge of my seat. It only took me about 4 days to read this book because I couldn't put it down! Lock your doors and check under your bed. This one is going to freak you out!
Nov 29, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read of Carlene Thompson.

At first I wasn't sure if I was going to be into, with the beginning talking about super naturals and ghosts being the antagonist. But WOW am I glad I kept reading!! Carlene drops great clues to her mystery thriller, but still leaves you with a handful of possible, but maybe not possible suspects.

I am looking forward to reading her next one.
Apr 22, 2016 Poonam rated it it was amazing
I read this book a long time ago but I still remember how it gave me the creeps.
There were times while reading this one I felt someone is standing behind me and I used to get the chills.
Good story line, very well written!
Jun 24, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
I read this book many years ago, always loved it and recommended to others that really enjoyed it, also. A very scary yet quick read.
natalie karns
Apr 07, 2014 natalie karns rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while, I go back to reading older books and most of the time find them so much better than newer books. How times do change.

This book held me from the first page to the last. I like books where I have no idea of "who done it" and this one certainly had that. Mystery and suspense at its best.
Aug 13, 2014 Veronique rated it it was ok
Rakshya Khadka
Sep 18, 2014 Rakshya Khadka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Absolutely loved it !!!! You can't help but love this book. It's been written beautifully. The way the book turns out at the end is spell blinding. I read this book when my exams were on my head, but you know what it's worth it. I recommend it to anyone who loves thriller.
Andrea Dillon
Oct 05, 2014 Andrea Dillon rated it it was amazing
I love reading books from local WV authors! :) This one was recommended to me and since it has a creepy clown I figured it would be perfect to add to my month of horror till Halloween reading list. It definitely didn't disappoint!! I was confused all the way to the end. Great book!
Mar 21, 2015 Gen rated it really liked it
This was the 2nd book of Carlene Thompson's that I read. I liked it enough, though The ending was not as surprising as I had hoped. Though to be honest, it could also just be because I've already ready a whole lot of crime/ suspense books. I did appreciate that the narrative was written from the POV of the potential victims, not the cops' nor the killer's. It's easy to read, and I finished it in a few hours -- and this, I also appreciated. There were moments I found the writing style a little fo ...more
Sandra (folded.between.pages.of.books)
Very good book.
It keeps you guessing, and I didn't expect the ending.
It keeps you hooked because you really want to know what happened.
Aug 30, 2015 Btrflies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liked it a lot. Sometimes I was confused whether a character was just "thinking" about the past or if they were describing their present state, it was written a little strange. But other than that, I loved the story. It was different than the typical murder/mystery script. Very good read.
Angie Rhodes
Oct 13, 2015 Angie Rhodes rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Just the right amount of creepiness to keep you listening for odd voices in the night,, Caroline, can hear a voice, a voice she should not be able to hear, a voice calling out from the darkness. " mummy..mummy" over and over again, a voice that sounds like her daughter Hayley, but it can;t be can it? because Hayley is dead, murdered years ago,,
Milady Adler
Oct 12, 2015 Milady Adler rated it really liked it
I picked this novel up on the shelves of my local library. The story was fun, heart-racing and interesting enough to keep my attention. This isn't my favorite of her works, but I enjoyed the story and the introduction to the author.
Horace Derwent
the cover is a clown doll sitting on a bunch of black orchid, which has a fiendish and cute smiling face
Sandi Stover
Jun 20, 2016 Sandi Stover rated it it was amazing
One of the best mystery stories I've ever read and that's saying a lot because mysteries are my favorite! I'm totally confused why there are so few reviews on Amazon and Goodreads for a book written in 1991 and for a lot of other books by this author. I look forward to reading some more books by her.
Aug 12, 2016 Anthalya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-stories
I was really looking forward to read this book again, since It was 11 years ago and I never got to the end.

It was exactly that exciting as I can remember.

Though some things can seem like they're stolen from some low-budget film, It kind of takes a turn once you realize that this is a mind trick and not some paranormal shit.

I enjoyed reading It.
Oct 01, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge
A great page turner.. Which had set on a bookshelve ignored for way too long.
  • What Lies in Shadow
  • All the Way Home
  • No Way Home
  • Silent Killer (Griffin Powell, #10)
  • Bone Cold (The Malones, #1)
  • The Final Kill
  • Paint It Red
  • 101 Cataclysms: For the Love of Cats
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
  • The Animal Hour
  • L'Anneau de Moebius
  • Cattery Row (Theda Krakow, #2)
  • Best Intentions
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
Carlene Thompson is an author of suspense thriller novels.

Her first book, Black for Remembrance, was published in 1990 by Little, Brown and was well received. Her books are suspense novels, often with romantic elements and many take place in Thompson's home state of West Virginia. Her books often feature animals, which she bases on animals she knows in real life.
More about Carlene Thompson...