Start by marking “The Really Short Poems” as Want to Read:
The Really Short Poems

The Really Short Poems

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
“Filled with sharp irony and passionate insight, the more than 100 poems in the collection span the career of one of the deans of contemporary poetry. . . . Ammons makes you laugh and forces you to think hard about the way humans relate to natural phenomena and to themselves. From such simple, short expression emerge complex, often confounding ideas. New readers of poetry ...more
Published May 17th 1992 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Really Short Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Really Short Poems

so small
when I

say boo
I disappear
- Progress Report (pg. 105)

Ammons is at his best in the short, or should I say really short form. Before finding The Really Short Poems, I remember reading Ammons's Selected Poems and thinking, or suspecting, that I would probably prefer it if the selection consisted entirely of the poet's shorter poems. My suspicions have been confirmed.

It is my opinion that everything you need to read of Ammons's is collected here, with a few exceptions... S
Greg
Dec 29, 2008 Greg rated it really liked it
I've recently be reintroduced to poetry, and I can't believe I was so intimidated by it for so long. While I still get stuck sometimes, and I know I'm missing a lot of context in what I read, some poems just step right out and grab you. Ammons is just great. These "really short" poems almost always deserve a second or third read, but their brevity lets them slip right into your head, like reversing the reel of Athena leaping full- grown from Zeus. Here's two on the subject of love and desire, a ...more
Correen
Apr 19, 2015 Correen rated it really liked it

Interesting poetry -- some of the poems are obtuse, others are humorous, poignant, observant, clever, aphoristic, or depressive. Few of the poems appear to be written quickly. The words are carefully sequenced to provide the intended response. Most show great feeling but a few seemed flippant. Some I like very much, others probably emotionally would move someone else or make them laugh.
Julia Curtis
3.5

I liked his stuff. It was good. It was a bit too.. nature-esk for me. Some of them were really intriguing and I read them a few times. None of them stuck out so much that I remember what they were called at the moment.
However, if you're ever out and about, it might be a fun thing to bring along for a read.
Joje
Jul 16, 2010 Joje rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long a source for lessons in this or that without lots of verbiage, obviously, but repercussions as one can open to:
It's nice

(''Reading'')
Lesley Looper
May 27, 2013 Lesley Looper rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2013
I enjoyed this book of poetry a lot! The poems really were "really short," but were often thought provoking. Also, since this has been a busy time for me, it's been relaxing and satisfying to read this book, a few poems at a time.
Lara Messersmith-Glavin

p. 33
Melee
Jun 23, 2012 Melee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

I was going to give it 3 stars, but in the last 50 pages or so, he started spouting all these clever and lovely poems that made me gasp with appreciation.
Michael Stapelmann
Jan 13, 2013 Michael Stapelmann rated it it was amazing
I carry this book with me almost wherever I go, in case I'm ever in need of some quick inspiration.
Richard Smith
Richard Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Ross
Ross marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Ernest Hilbert
Ernest Hilbert rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Ahk
Ahk rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Bruce Taylor
Bruce Taylor rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Andrew Spacey
Andrew Spacey rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Beelzefuzz
Beelzefuzz rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Atte
Atte marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Ty Ashford
Ty Ashford rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Brad Hawley
Brad Hawley rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2015
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Camden
Camden marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Maria Lluïsa
Maria Lluïsa marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Raymond Barfield
Raymond Barfield rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Kirby
Kirby marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
ju
ju rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Archie Randolph Ammons was born outside Whiteville, North Carolina, on February 18, 1926. He started writing poetry aboard a U. S. Navy destroyer escort in the South Pacific. After completing service in World War II, he attended Wake Forest University and the University of California at Berkeley.

His honors included the Academy's Wallace Stevens Award, the Poetry Society of America's Robert Frost M
More about A.R. Ammons...

“Reflective