Start by marking “The Really Short Poems” as Want to Read:
The Really Short Poems

The Really Short Poems

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  9 reviews
“Filled with sharp irony and passionate insight, the more than 100 poems in the collection span the career of one of the deans of contemporary poetry. . . . Ammons makes you laugh and forces you to think hard about the way humans relate to natural phenomena and to themselves. From such simple, short expression emerge complex, often confounding ideas. New readers of poetry ...more
Published May 17th 1992 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Really Short Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Really Short Poems

Matthew
Now I'm
into things

so small
when I

say boo
I disappear
- Progress Report (pg. 105)

Ammons is at his best in the short, or should I say really short form. Before finding The Really Short Poems, I remember reading Ammons's Selected Poems and thinking, or suspecting, that I would probably prefer it if the selection consisted entirely of the poet's shorter poems. My suspicions have been confirmed.

It is my opinion that everything you need to read of Ammons's is collected here, with a few exceptions... S
Greg
I've recently be reintroduced to poetry, and I can't believe I was so intimidated by it for so long. While I still get stuck sometimes, and I know I'm missing a lot of context in what I read, some poems just step right out and grab you. Ammons is just great. These "really short" poems almost always deserve a second or third read, but their brevity lets them slip right into your head, like reversing the reel of Athena leaping full- grown from Zeus. Here's two on the subject of love and desire, a ...more
Correen

Interesting poetry -- some of the poems are obtuse, others are humorous, poignant, observant, clever, aphoristic, or depressive. Few of the poems appear to be written quickly. The words are carefully sequenced to provide the intended response. Most show great feeling but a few seemed flippant. Some I like very much, others probably emotionally would move someone else or make them laugh.
Julia Curtis
3.5

I liked his stuff. It was good. It was a bit too.. nature-esk for me. Some of them were really intriguing and I read them a few times. None of them stuck out so much that I remember what they were called at the moment.
However, if you're ever out and about, it might be a fun thing to bring along for a read.
Joje
Long a source for lessons in this or that without lots of verbiage, obviously, but repercussions as one can open to:
It's nice

thing on earth
relatively calm.

(''Reading'')
Lesley
I enjoyed this book of poetry a lot! The poems really were "really short," but were often thought provoking. Also, since this has been a busy time for me, it's been relaxing and satisfying to read this book, a few poems at a time.
Lara Messersmith-Glavin

compass grass

p. 33
Melee
3.5 stars.

I was going to give it 3 stars, but in the last 50 pages or so, he started spouting all these clever and lovely poems that made me gasp with appreciation.
Michael Stapelmann
I carry this book with me almost wherever I go, in case I'm ever in need of some quick inspiration.
Maria Lluïsa
Maria Lluïsa marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Kirby
Kirby marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Emi
Emi marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
William Barker
William Barker marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Sandra Vargas
Sandra Vargas marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Nathan
Nathan is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2015
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
PadfootsLove
PadfootsLove marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Archie Randolph Ammons was born outside Whiteville, North Carolina, on February 18, 1926. He started writing poetry aboard a U. S. Navy destroyer escort in the South Pacific. After completing service in World War II, he attended Wake Forest University and the University of California at Berkeley.

His honors included the Academy's Wallace Stevens Award, the Poetry Society of America's Robert Frost M
More about A.R. Ammons...
Garbage The Selected Poems Collected Poems, 1951-1971 Tape for the Turn of the Year Sphere: The Form of a Motion

“Reflective