Start by marking “The Country Blues” as Want to Read:
The Country Blues

The Country Blues

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  6 reviews
From the field cries and work chants of Southern Negroes emerged a rich and vital music called the country blues, an intensely personal expression of the pains and pleasures of black life. This music--recorded during the twenties by men like Blind Lemon Jefferson, Big Bill Broonzy, and Robert Johnson--had all but disappeared from memory until the folk music revival of the ...more
Published August 22nd 1975 by Da Capo Press (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Country Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Country Blues

Inder
I relied heavily on this book (but I can't say I read it cover to cover) for a paper I wrote on the blues for an anthropology class now more than ten years ago. I remember thinking that it was excellent. In particular, I loved the textual analysis of blues lyrics.

I found this in my shelf the other day and was struck by a strong desire to reread it. Or actually read it, whichever is applicable.

My sudden interest in re-reading up on the Blues? You could blame it on Zora Neale Hurston & Woody
Pamela
An interesting book, but definitely more of a relic than a history or an analysis. Many of blues musicians he profiles were still alive when Charters wrote this, and he was able to interview them, but everything is romanticized and embellished to the point where it's no more reliable than 3rd-hand reports. The book is most interesting when you look at it as ground zero for all the bullshit spouted by imitators that rolled out in the 60s. (That was a veiled jab at the Rolling Stones, by the way)

T
Mary
This is not simply a history of country blues or biographical sketches of important bluesmen. A good portion of it talks about the commercial side of the blues and how the style developed not just from traveling musicians learning from one another while playing for other poor African Americans in the rural South, but from recordings, minstrel shows, urban audiences, white audiences, etc.

Note that it's worth finding a 1975 or later edition which has the preface to the 1975 edition. In that prefa
Allan
A classic survey, including many profiles of favorite artists, written in Charters' personable, affectionate, insightful style.

Patrick
First study of the country blues. An easy breezy read and a people's history to boot.
Pablo Rodriguez
Nov 20, 2013 Pablo Rodriguez marked it as to-read
read
Melissa Jean
Melissa Jean marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Richard Oxley
Richard Oxley marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Chris Giles
Chris Giles marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Jiaao
Jiaao marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Jiaao
Jiaao marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
William Poulin
William Poulin marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
jeanlouiseblue
jeanlouiseblue marked it as to-read
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Evan Yang
Evan Yang marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Chet Manly
Chet Manly marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Alex
Alex added it
Dec 28, 2014
Dane Starkey
Dane Starkey marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Matt Walenciak
Matt Walenciak marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Brock Simpson
Brock Simpson marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Samuel Charters was an American music historian, writer, record producer, musician, and poet.
More about Samuel Charters...
Walking a Blues Road: A Blues Reader 1956-2004 A Trumpet Around the Corner: The Story of New Orleans Jazz The Blues Makers The Roots of the Blues: An African Search The Poetry of the Blues