The Tilian Virus (The Pandemic Sequence, #1)

The Tilian Virus (The Pandemic Sequence #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The virus spread quicker than anyone could have imagined. Within days, over half the world's population became infected. Now a small band of survivors, led by high school teacher Mike Allard, must learn to live in a world ravaged by the deadly victims of the Tilian Virus.

Weaving together two separate time frames, The Tilian Virus is a tale of humankind's most dire hour. Fa...more
Published September 30th 2011 by Tom Calen (first published September 27th 2011)

Shana Festa
As you begin reading The Tilian Virus you assume that you’re following the main character, Mike Allard, as he goes through the motions of daily life right before the outbreak that brings society to its knees. Immediately you’ll find yourself corrected as Chapter 2 thrusts you into the post outbreak world and you find Allard at the head of a band of survivors who have sought refuge in the Appalachian Mountains. The stark contrast between the first few chapters of the book are somewhat jarring as...more
Athena Braun
Good but...

I'm only on the sixth chapter but I already know how and why I'm rating this book. The positives first I liked the story from a high school perspective. I have read many zombie books and I have not read a book from this angle yet. The reason why this book it gets a three star rating though is because it switches between the past and the present. This can be confusing and annoying. Personally I believe that if you wanted to include the present then he could've put that at the end of th...more
Debra Odom
I am a Walking Dead fan and this book is as good or better than the series. This book is also part of a Triology. This book is told from the perspective of a high school teacher looking out for his students. I loved the way the author told the story in flashback episodes.
Cyndi
Making "zombie" books has been such a part of culture it's hard to make them seem fresh and new. Tom Calen brought more of a reality to the "zombie" apocalypse. Extremely well written and smart, I was not reading the watered down typical everyday "zombie" tale. I put zombie in quotations because the war here is on Tils, people infected with the tilian virus hunger for live flesh, the same as zombies but the mutation to the virus and the fact that only certain blood types are infected made this f...more
Holly
While I enjoy post apocalyptic stories in general, I liked that the author used a Pandemic to cause the end of the world as opposed to a Zombie Outbreak. I found the story to be one of the best written books I have read in AGES.

While the story does jump back and forth between past and present, it helps to fill the story out so the reader has a sense of how hard fought the life the survivors have carved out for themselves has been. I very much appreciate the fact that the story is not only surro...more
Mallory
I'm not usually a big fan of zombie novels, but I took a chance on this one and it was worth it. Though there isn't anything unique about the plot (disease sweeps planet, turns people into mindless eating machines, survivors must run for their lives), the focus was on the survivors and not the zombie battles, which was nice. It was a good light weekend read. And the suggestion at the end of the book (view spoiler)...more
Marie Taylor
I had difficulty with it switching from past to present and telling about people being dead before having them die. I was thinking I'd missed something, then the next chapter explained.
There was a lot of action and I liked the perspective of a teacher just starting out in life before the virus. The ending was gripping. I would give it a four but I had to keep reminding myself what time period it was.
Joan
Would have been 4 stars but for the switching chapter by chapter from present to past. It made the story too disjointed. If this had been a paperback I would have flicked through to read in sequence but not practical with a Kindle. A good story though, and I will give the second a try. I liked the characters and the general writing despite the 'flashback' style.
Bryce Davies
As far a zombie novels go, I was never a fan... until I read d.j. molles "the remaining "series . since then, I have tried to find another one that was as compelling as molles series. Steven knight came close but most zombie novels are mindless crap.

the tilian virus was not quite as good but it came close. it is certainly much better then most.
Plizotte
I am not that fond of the zombie concept, but I liked how this one played out. I also liked how the author switched back and forth from the present post-apocalyptic state to the start of the apocalypse. It is nice to see "regular folks" dealing with unusual circumstances. Especially when they don't go Lord of the Flies.
B.E.
I wasn't sure about the start, but it got better and then it got good. Then I wasn't sure about the ending - which felt rushed and like a lot more things were left unanswered than should've been for this book. There are other books after this, though, so I get what the author was doing. All in all, though, it was an enjoyable read.
LindaB.D. (old AKA LindaD.)
A great trilogy. Each book gets better than the last. Wonderful characters with war, gangs, love, hate- people just trying to survive. Well worth your time to read these. A surprise, but great ending.Three books : the Tilian Virus, The Tilian -the Effect, And last- The Tilian Virus:The Cure. All great books.
Heather
Total guilty pleasure. Not literature by any means. Not even that well written, but could not put it down, and MUST read the rest of the series. Easily invested in the characters, and have to see what happens to them. Really liked this book, but don't tell anyone!
Kimm
I just loved this book. I love all the ups and downs. So much suspends I found myself holding my breathe. I can't wait the read the next book. This guy can write. The only reason why I didn't give it 5- stars, because I am starting to dislike the breaking up of stories into different books. Tell the whole story in one novel. I know it's all about the $$$$, but dang!!!
Megan
One of the better zombie books I've read. I enjoyed that it wasn't just a series of seemingly impossible situations to get out of like a lot of books in this sub-genre. I liked how the chapters were alternating time lines, telling what was going on in the present and how the main group of survivor's got where they were. I'm excited to read the sequels.
Marissa
I give up. The storytelling is too jarring, and too inconsistent. Every character I've met so far, besides the protagonist, is a poorly fleshed out (no pun intended) redshirt. Not even finishing this one. I've got better bad books to read.
Michelle Lynn Tewes
Loved it! Nice zombie book that doesn't try too hard. The story line flips back and forth between present day and flashbacks. I think the idea of the flip is perfect for the story and gives you a sense of time coming closer together as the two stories merge. Bought the sequel to this book and I can't wait to read it.
Jamie Eastman
Not bad

Nothing really new here, your basic run away and find some place safe, it wasn't bad though just not anything new or unique about it, but if your looking for something to kill an afternoon read it.
Robin Edman
This is an astonishingly well-written zombie-type apocalypse book. My only complaint is that it took me some time to decide which of the two timelines was being told at that moment.
Theresa
This was a great book with an even greater ending. Looking forward to book 2:The Tilian Effect! It told the beginning of the story as it told the story 6 years in the future! Great read!
Amanda
This was really good. Loved the past to present perspectives. Very happy I found this book, and have it reinvigorate my joy of reading after a very long dry spell.
Ariel
This was a fairly enjoyable read. Interesting premise. Guy become leader of a group of survivors, goes towards freedom. It was well written. I had a bit of trouble getting into the voice of it. That could be because the perspective is so different from my own. Not the best zombie novel I've ever read, but not the worst.
Karissa
This book was great. It let me very interested throughout and got me attached to the characters. I was enthralled in the characters fight to survive not only from the zombie's but also the the environment and other people. The book felt very realistic.
Joanne
Can't wait to read the second in the trilogy
Megan Barker
Typical zombie/survivor book.
Henrik Rostoft
Very standard zombie book
Mark Hurst
My first venture into the zombie genre. Enjoyed the pace and overlapping time series of the book. Looking forward to the second book.
Erica
Another zombie book.... ugh.
Patryk O'really
Nice apocalyptic survival story ! Making the hard choices for the survival of the group
Robert
Slow, somewhat confusing start. I had to restart a couple times to get back on track and restore my concentration. Perhaps I was multi-tasking a bit too much as I was busy working on a desktop computer and distracted more than usual. The story began to pick-up at the last few chapters so I'm thinking there is still hope. The series is a trilogy, at least for now, so I'm hoping this is a good sign and books two and three will improve to make me a happy camper. Fingers crossed!
  • Life Among the Dead
  • Sleepers
  • Dead, but Not for Long
  • This Shattered Land  (Surviving the Dead)
  • Blood Soaked and Contagious
  • Affliction Z: Patient Zero
  • The Plan (Roads Less Traveled, #1)
  • Infected (Click Your Poison, #1)
  • The Living Dead Boy
  • A New World: Chaos (A New World, #1)
  • Mace of the Apocalypse
  • Ravage
  • The Sixth Level (Secret Apocalypse, #2)
  • Tankbread (Tankbread, #1)
  • Origins (Zombie Games, #1)
  • The Becoming (The Becoming, #1)
  • Fortress Britain (Arisen, #1)
  • 100 Days in Deadland (Deadland Saga, #1)
Tom Calen is the author of the bestselling horror series, The Pandemic Sequence, as well as the forthcoming science fiction series, Scars of Tomorrow. A NYC native, Tom worked in the world of business before abandoning all reason and deciding to write full-time.

From Castle Rock to Arakis, Middle Earth to Westeros, Tom eagerly devours as many science fiction and fantasy novels as time allows. He cr...more
More about Tom Calen...
The Tilian Cure (Tilian Virus, #3) The Tilian Effect Torrance (What Followed After)