Start by marking “Sir Gawain And The Green Knight” as Want to Read:
Sir Gawain And The Green Knight

Sir Gawain And The Green Knight

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Of all the tales of the Knights of the Round Table, the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is surely the most magical. Here are thrills and enchantment, chivalry and courage, a challenge and a quest. Its hero is the greatest of all King Arthur's knights, Sir Gawain.
Published November 1st 2004 by Walker (first published September 9th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sir Gawain And The Green Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sir Gawain And The Green Knight

Nathan Maharaj
I didn't think we'd make it all the way through when I started, but the boys really enjoyed this and looked forward to it every night.
Rebecca Collins
I was a little apprehensive about reading this book, as usually books around knights and quests don't always interest me. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed reading this book.

From a previous seminar, by reading the book I now have ideas about how I could use it within the classroom, for example how I could use the classroom environment to introduce the book to the children. In this case I would use drapes around the room, or even play music from around that period of time
reviewed in April, 2011:
I hadn't known the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Even if I had, I would've found this version enchanting. It's a retelling by Michael Morpurgo, illustrated by Michael Foreman, and it hits just the right balance of adventure, morality tale, and just plain fun, with a good dose of silliness thrown in for good measure.

added in November, 2014:
I'd forgotten that I'd read this, and picked it up again. I didn't really like it as much this time, and am changing my rat
Morpurgo’s name has been on our family radar since we read War Horse. When my sound found his children’s version of Sir Gawain, it seemed less intimidating than the original.

The story begins with King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table:

"It was Christmastime at Camelot, that time of year when all King Arthur’s Knights gathered to celebrate the birth of their Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. For fifteen joyous days, after holy Mass each morning, there was nothing but feasting and dancing and
Nene Riley
Categories/Genres: Traditional

Estimate of Age Level of Interest: 3-6

Estimate of Reading Level: 5.9

Brief Description:

This is a classic Arthurian quest in which Sir Gawain learns about humility and honor from the mysterious Green Knight. The Green Knight tries to trick Sir Gawain into dishonoring his host's hospitality, and Sir Gawain almost passes the test. He admits that he has kept the green belt that does not belong to him for protection, and this is the true test and his best moment, when he
Jul 14, 2011 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Parents & teachers of 10+ children
This is an excellent edition to introduce 10+ children to Arthurian tales. Great for discussion about the 7 knightly virtues and whether Sir Gawain lives up to them or not. Children also like to talk about whether these virtues still have merit in the 21st century.
This book has a amazing story with a great moral and great action. It contains ancient myths of knights of the ()round table. If you read this book it will give you a great lesson and a great adventure.It has the knight, Gawain, and he finds that a man wants his head cut off. But if his head is cut off so the person who does it has to get their head cut off and of course, Gawain is the only one brave enough to do it. He goes on a great adventure and tons of fun. I hope you read this!

p.s.sorry i
This book is a wonderful retelling of the Medieval story. The vivid illustrations and curious tale captured my children attention completely. My 4-year-old constantly looked at the pictures in the book even when we were done reading it.

As we got further in to the story, I became concerned about the temptations that Sir Gawain encountered. It sparked many discussions with my children on chastity and how to deal with temptations. We compared Sir Gawain with Joseph of Egypt.

My understanding increas
I wish I'd had this version when I taught British literature to high school students (but it wasn't around yet)! Well told, satisfactorily illustrated, and approachable, Morpurgo tells Sir Gawain's story in a way that will delight readers all over again. Elementary children can listen to this tale (or read it on their own if they're fully independent readers), most middle school students could read this easily, and it's not too childish for high school students. The scenes in which the Green Kni ...more
This is a well-told tale by Michael Morpurgo with colorful illustrations by Michael Foreman based on the epic poem from the 14th century about one of King Arthur's knights who tries his hardest to be virtuous and honor his promises.
I was Morgan Lafe in this play when I was 13. I have always loved King Aurtor so I was delighted when I found this short story. It was amazing.
Grant Broderick
This book tells of the legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight during the time of King Arthur's court. Although this is more of a children's story, i would not recommend reading this to anyone student under the age of 10 because book does contain some gruesome parts and may be too violent for younger readers. With that being said, this book does have a good moral that could teaches students lessons in honor and staying true to your word. The vocabulary used in this was not too high level seein ...more
A beautifully written and illustrated retelling of one of the great takes of Camelot, this book was good for a week's worth of bedtime reading for those older children who still enjoy their nighttime ritual. There's a bit of gore (as befits a great tale of Knights and battles) and some hunting scenes which more sensitive children may not like, but it is mainly about Sir Gawain's courage, honesty and integrity in facing a daunting challenge. Throw in the Round Table, a castle, horses and a bit of ...more
Sean Buckley
Another that I`ve read with my son! ...more
This children book proposes a very good adaptation of the poem. Told in prose, the poem loses the fun of the word games it's famous for but the heart of the story is there for children to enjoy and cheer about. Gawain is the bravest and most noble knight, the Green Knight is frightening but not in a bad way. The illustrations support the text and do not overwhelm it. A nice introduction to the Arthurian tales. A good Christmas's gift.
The only big problem about this book was not prereading it prior to reading it to a 3rd-grade class. I had to amend as I read making it difficult. I love myths and King Arthur. The story was fun with great pictures.
Chris Griffith
Really fantastic! Read to my daughter while our entire family has been ill. She wrote out the synopsis as I read and then she gave a short review on my blog while I was "out sick." We tried to do sort of a "Billy" thing from Family Circus. Here's the link to read her review.
I like when he killed the dragon. And I also like when they roasted a pig. And I like when he rides the horse and when they were in the mud. And I like when the green knight got blood on him. And I like when he went back. And I like all the things he did. And I like when the horse neighed. (Weston's review.)
Loved this. The illustrations were brilliantly incredible. The translation was easy to understand, thank goodness. There was the right amount of adventure, love, and sense of The Medieval Times. The ending actually shocked me!
A wonderful retelling of this story for kids, with some beautiful pictures. As another reviewer has noted, there are lots of opportunities to discuss whether Gawain is living up to the virtues of a Knight of the Round Table.
This is a beautifully illustrated version of the strange and wonderful Arthurian legend. The language matches the illustrations, and it's overall quite lovely.
Nov 04, 2008 Emi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any Morpurgo fan
Recommended to Emi by: School assignment
This book looks like a childish picture book but it is amazing. It has awesome illustrations and the text is good as well. It has a good moral.
Beautiful artwork and the author has translated the story well enough into a children's book. I actually really enjoyed this one.
Knightly hood, fair maidens, queens and kings and battles...what more could you want?
The best version of this story I've ever read. The illustrations were awesome too.
Stu marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Bob Hancox
Bob Hancox marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Donna marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Hayley marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Favorite Medieval Tales
  • Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
  • The Holy Twins
  • The Canterbury Tales (Puffin Classics)
  • Canterbury Tales
  • Russian Fairy Tales
  • The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)
  • Knight
  • Medieval Life
  • Good Queen Bess: The Story of Elizabeth I of England
  • Three Samurai Cats: A Story from Japan
  • Mosque
  • Season of Promise (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #3)
  • Fa Mulan: The Story of a Woman Warrior
  • Classic Myths to Read Aloud: The Great Stories of Greek and Roman Mythology, Specially Arranged for Children Five and Up by an Educational Expert
  • Beautiful Warrior: The Legend of the Nun's Kung Fu
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • Sir Cumference and the Viking's Map
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...