Start by marking “120 dana Sodome” as Want to Read:
120 dana Sodome

120 dana Sodome (Les 120 Journées de Sodome #1)

3.16  ·  Rating Details ·  5,447 Ratings  ·  426 Reviews
Pet duhovitih erotskih priča u kojima ovaj poznati hrvatski pisac varira različita svakodnevna "očitovanja" spolnosti. U tom smislu, spolni čin ili, točnije, mnoštvo njih, izvedeni s neskrivenim hedonizmom i popraćeni različitim "sočnim" izrazima užitka, ispričani živahno i uvjerljivo, u autorovu poznatom stilu - bez uvijanja i malograđanskog "ženiranja", temeljni su fabul ...more
Paperback, Biblioteka Erotikon, 404 pages
Published 1981 by Prosveta, Beograd (first published 1785)

To ask other readers questions about 120 dana Sodome, please sign up.

Glauconar Yue Original language is French, but there should be plenty English translations.

Paquita Maria Sanchez
Apr 12, 2013 Paquita Maria Sanchez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Your Boss's Kid
Recommended to Paquita Maria by: AMAZON DOT COM!
Shelves: literature

You can buy this 2009 dramedy used from THE AMAZON for as low as $1.65! You may be saying "What a deal! But what is it all about?" Well, I'll tell you! LOL!

This is the story of a boy who works for a successful greeting card company. One day, his boss hires a new assistant named Sodom who, in typical MPDG fashion, has decided that she doesn't believe in love anymore, and that Frank Zappa's classic song Any Way the Wind Blows is her life philosophy, because she likes subversive Psychedelic Rock an
Ian
Jan 26, 2016 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zelmire is an exceptionally beautiful name. It’s a shame I’d never be able to bestow it on my daughter for fear of her asking someday where I got the idea...
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
***3" FUCKED UP x's INFINITY " STARS***

Marquis De Sade described his novel as "the most impure tale that has ever been told since our world began". .

I know I've said this numerous times but I've never meant it more than I do right now. THIS. STORY . IS. NOT. FOR. EVERYONE. It's obnoxiously repetitive, gruesome beyond belief, and just plain disgusting. With that said, the authors imagination is disturbingly fascinating and surprisingly comical... **don't judge me!** De Sage managed to make m
Katie
Nov 20, 2007 Katie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that when I say this book was an amazing read, I am attempting to indicate that I was amazed in the real sense of the word - I was astounded by the gravity of the text I was engulfed in; darkly enthralled by the sheer disgust I felt. I have never in my life been more horrified and strangely captivated by a book and although it was not a pleasure read I feel it was an important book to explore, although not one I would rush to read again.
Anthony Gramuglia
Dec 04, 2013 Anthony Gramuglia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a prude. I am not the type of person who will hesitate from delving into works others might find dark. One of my favorite novels is the Exorcist, commonly regarded as one of the most terrifying books ever written. I have pictures on the push-pin board in front of me while I write this containing images from Silent Hill, Audition, and other really gruesome stuff...of course, next to that I have pictures from It's a Wonderful Life and Aladdin, but that's not the point! Point is, I have no ...more
David Acevedo
Oct 07, 2012 David Acevedo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the things that I like most about good literature is its ability to break the confines of conventionalism. Literature, in that sense, is tantamount to being a libertine.

This novel takes the reader to the darkest of the darkest corners of possible, degrading, violent, scatological behaviour. And yet, the fact that it creates a certain fascination that will not allow the reader to halt his or her reading the text, is an achievement in itself.

The 120 Days of Sodom is a voyage of cruelty, t
Emily May
Jan 08, 2014 Emily May rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Well, what's to like? The part where a grown man (view spoiler)
Sofia Rodriguez
Aug 03, 2010 Sofia Rodriguez is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly don't know if I can finish this book. I was recommended this book after reading "American Psycho". I was looking for something that would feed my craving for a gore fest thriller. I don't know what this is. The first couple of pages left me questioning my sanity as to if I should finish it (a question that I thought would be a clear NO for someone who was mentally healthy). But I continued. I bought this book about a year ago and am still grappling with how gross and utterly dehumaniz ...more
Jilleesa
Oct 23, 2012 Jilleesa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay. Good lord. Where the hell do I start.

I hesitated before reading this book because I despise the concept of Libertinism and saw myself throwing my iphone across the room. I do like Sade's views on homosexuality and women's sexual freedom. But the rest of his work is just a clusterfuck of coprophagia, pedophilia, homocide, incest, sodomy, torture, sacriligion, disembowling, rape, orgies, spilled seed and horribleness.

With that being said, I read both 120 Days of Sodom and La Philosophie dans
Neil
May 12, 2013 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must confess, even as a very avid consumer of literature, I have never before been compelled to actually write a book review – this one did.
This book explores the absolute depths of human corruption, and is the most depraved piece of text I have ever read. Unlike many of the reviewers here, I endured the whole, and reached the end – day 120.

This sordid 450 page tome is divided across four stages or ‘passions’ equating to the level of depravity the libertines are allowed to explore: one, simpl
Britt
Nov 04, 2009 Britt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, horror
A word to those who put this on their to-read list: I'm fairly certain this version of the book is the watered down version. If you want to read the original, there's an e-book version floating around online. That's what I read.

Of course I didn't like it. This was the most disgusting book I've ever read, and I doubt there is any as vile out there in the world. For grammar and wording it would receive 5 stars; de Sade is certainly intelligent...the more to fear him.

The book is about four disgusti
Joe
Nov 07, 2012 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book taught me that I am still capable of being offended.

120 days of Sodom is the ultimate "boot-camp for the psyche" experience. Rating this monstrosity was extremely difficult for me because, although it was the most atrocious thing I've ever read in my life, it affected me significantly. It did not affect me in a satisfactory way, rather it affected me in the sense that I need to scrape my brain to rid myself of some of the imagery and ideas painted in this sacrilege. Ultimately, I decid
Lisa
Jun 05, 2013 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**Spoilers ahead**

I know, how could this book have spoilers? Well I'm listing most of what the books covers in case anyone is dying of curiosity to read it, and upon getting the gist will maybe decide it's not worth the time.

The book covers incest, pedophilia, shit (more than anything else, shit), vomit, piss, sodomy, rape, gang rape, whipping, bondage, forced orgasms, humiliation, prostitution, kidnapping, burning, dressing up like animals, bone breaking, bestiality, drugging/poisoning, sexual
Mizuki
Sep 10, 2016 Mizuki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What should I say? Oh yes I bought this book, I haven't yet read to the end. But it's a thought provoking book, and Marquis de Sade's great sense of humor and satire is quite charming.

Well, if you don't want to chew through the full 1000 pages of this thick book, at least try Salo or The 120 Days of Sodom!! A "fearsome work of art" it is!
Svenja
Jan 11, 2009 Svenja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: francais
Repugnant. Disgusting. Shocking. Extreme. No-one can mix eroticism and horror like Sade, and here he is at his best. Definitely not for the faint of heart. So appalling you can't put it down.
Caleb
Nov 08, 2012 Caleb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is fucked up. it is profluent the way true crime is profluent. I would liken it to Butters' (South Park character Butters T. Stoch) "The Adventures of Scrotie McBoogerballs." Only it was written 240 years ago.

The only way to really accept this narrative is to think of the main characters, the 4 Lords of Sodom, as cartoon characters. Their primary attributes and motivations and countenances are very cartoonish. The most interesting parts in here were Dulcet's anecdotes.

When people rea
Annie
WARNING: This review talks about some very gruesome things but if you’re considering reading this book, you’d best be ready for gore.

First- can we talk about the fact that in the edition I read (Wilder Publications 2008), there’s an amazing offense warning on it? Why is it amazing, you ask? Thanks for playing. Because it reads as follows:

“This book is a product of its time and does not reflect the same values as it would if it were written today. Parents might wish to discuss with their childre
Amy (Other Amy)
Apr 27, 2016 Amy (Other Amy) marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one at all
Recommended to Amy (Other Amy) by: the 1001 people, who need their heads examined
I decided on pure whim to make a go at this and Justine last year. (They're both on that silly 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list I'm sort of picking off of.) Honestly, I didn't make it past the opening with this. I got to the guy who had (view spoiler)*, gagged, and quit. Didn't even make it to the torture.

While researching some banned book issues recently, I came across this from Wikipedia
Yomna hosny
Feb 08, 2014 Yomna hosny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay so I labored through the first 100 pages of this book and other than "eww" and "yawn" I don't understand how this is considered "literature" ?? It's not even that well written.

It takes a while to get used to the "jargon" (maybe it was just the translation?) and then you have to filter through all the inconsequential annoying details. Seriously, people have been describing their food since waaaay before instagram came around.

This probably makes me a horrible person but honestly.. all I coul
Lucy
I have no idea was star rating to give this so for now I'm leaving it starless.....

This was the most disgusting, disturbing book I have ever read. This is not erotica, it's a horrorshow. Seriously, this book is nasty and not the good kind of nasty.

I am totally fascinated by the author and his life so god help me I might even read some more of his work.
Ashlee
Aug 07, 2012 Ashlee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone who isn't easily shocked (and a good deal of those who are).
I was pleasantly surprised.

For one, I wasn't nearly as disturbed and disgusted as I was expecting to be (although, to be fair, I had heard many things about how horrid it was. How anyone can be shocked when there's such a to-do about something, I don't know.)

For two, it is by far the most interesting book I have ever read. Everything about it was interesting: the narrator, the kinks and fetishes, the discussions that the characters had, the word choice, the fact that it's a rough draft (and even
Kaitlin
Mar 09, 2011 Kaitlin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Actually one of the most boring books I've ever read. Well, mostly read. I skimmed some of it. It was that bad. I can't fathom how a book so full of depictions of grotesque and degrading sexual abuse managed to be so dull. After the pushing through the initial revulsion of the premise (it IS repulsive), I found the rest repetitive and unimaginative. The assault scene in Blindness by Saramago, in a few pages and with a fraction of the violence, made me want to vomit. But this?

If you want to be p
Joe Thompson
It’s very hard to know where to start. Obviously this is not a book for the feint-hearted, and I would find it hard to recommend to anyone. However, there are important aspects to it, even if they do get somewhat lost in the increasingly repetitive violence and general unpleasantness.

There has been some really vitriolic criticism of this book, and I can understand why. But the novel is deeply allegorical, and it is important to see this book not just as a fictional story but as a social critique
Louize
On my first attempt to join our GR monthly group discussion, I read this book. Truth be told, I did not finish reading this. I went through half of it, or so, then gave up. That’s okay, go ahead, and call me a prude; but I cannot force myself to go on. This book is perverted to a ridiculous point I felt like I am being polluted from the inside; a moral vacuum of some sort. There are things that may stay with me for a long while, though.

It begins with 4 high-classed libertine males who are seekin
Ana
Nov 14, 2015 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
«Para leer las obras del Marqués de Sade es necesario poseer un criterio amplio, ya que puede resultar difícil de asimilar lo que escribió. El habla de una sexualidad "desviada" hacia la perversidad, hacia el placer sensual proporcionado por el dolor ajeno, algo totalmente inconcebible para muchas personas "normales". Pero también implica el estudio psicológico de tal comportamiento desde el punto de vista científico y analítico, para llegar a conocer las causas de dicha conducta y sus efectos»
Lila Lamrabet

Started off well but eventually became too repetitive. There are only so many ways that feces can be eaten during sex.
André Nogueira
Mar 09, 2009 André Nogueira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recebi este livro no passado Natal, fruto da minha súbita paixão por Sade e pela sua Justine. Por causa dele, Sade foi condenado à mais infame categoria que um Ser pode recolher. Injustamente.

Esta obra, escrita enquanto Sade se encontrava recluso na Prisão da Bastilha, foi terminada em 37 dias, e para tal, utilizou um rolo contínuo de papel com 12 metros de comprimento. A letra: minúscula. O trabalho físico, imagina-se, terá sido magnânime. O resultado também se pode considerar grandioso, visto
Šarlo
Aug 27, 2011 Šarlo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those in need of humanization
Sade's life-work is a systematic destruction of church-imposed values, symbol against symbol. His work holds no pretense / birthright to a sacred value (despite being historically and culturally invaluable), determined to act itself out objectively, purely, mathematically, like a law of nature, i.e. an instinctive, yet intelligent, utterly human revolt against opressive control. From one angle (that we would probably call terroristic by modern standards), it is the sort of self-negating material ...more
Ronel
May 14, 2012 Ronel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought long and hard what to say about this book. Firstly I have to start off with a few comments.

1. No, I did not finish the book.
2. No, I do not advocate sensorship
3. Yes, some books should come with warning labels.

Usually I will not comment about a book without finishing it. But I simply could not finish this one. The graphic disgusting images of violence and sadism will forever linger in my thoughts.

I always, mistakenly, thought that the reason why his books were banned was because of me
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Dec 23, 2015 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I've read this book when I was a teenager. It was thrilling to secretly read something this disturbing. I couldn't exactly show this to my parents and have a discussion about it.

I haven't read it again. I don't think I could. As far as I remember it has a lot of shocking scenes, some even disgusting. The rating is from the present me. If someone had asked me then how I would rate it when I read it, it would have probably been higher because all the forbidden things are rated more interesting.

St
  • Albigenses
  • Hogg
  • Aphrodite
  • The Female Quixote: or, the Adventures of Arabella
Donatien Alphonse François, Marquis de Sade was a French aristocrat, revolutionary politician, philosopher, and writer famous for his libertine sexuality and lifestyle. His works include novels, short stories, plays, dialogues, and political tracts; in his lifetime some were published under his own name, while others appeared anonymously and Sade denied being their author. He is best known for his ...more
More about Marquis de Sade...

“If it is the dirty element that gives pleasure to the act of lust, then the dirtier it is, the more pleasurable it is bound to be.” 89 likes
“Oh, there are plenty of people," the Duc used to observe, "who never misbehave save when passion spurs them to ill; later, the fire gone out of them, their now calm spirit peacefully returns to the path of virtue and, thus passing their life going from strife to error and from error to remorse, they end their days in such a way there is no telling just what roles they have enacted on earth. Such persons," he would continue, "must surely be miserable: forever drifting, continually undecided, their entire life is spent detesting in the morning what they did the evening before. Certain to repent of the pleasures they taste, they take their delight in quaking, in such sort they become at once virtuous in crime and criminal in virtue.” 19 likes