Last Kiss In Tiananmen Square

Last Kiss In Tiananmen Square

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  19 reviews
“Last Kiss in Tiananmen Square” is a novel based on the 1989 Tiananmen Square Pro-democracy movement. The novel follows a young woman, Baiyun, a junior in college, trying to reconcile her upbringing while in the midst of the rising political movement in Beijing, China.

Baiyun grew up in a strange and cold household. In order to cope with her dysfunctional family, Baiyun wo...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Fantasy Island Book Pubiishing

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern1Q84 by Haruki MurakamiThe Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittThe Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison AllenThe American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin
Best Cover Art 2011 (Non-YA)
32nd out of 271 books — 1,528 voters
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenEveryone Burns by John DolanShōgun by James ClavellThe Good Earth by Pearl S. BuckThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Best books on Asia
10th out of 543 books — 332 voters

More lists with this book...

B.
Intriguing characters, political and personal scandal, and the insights of one young Chinese student’s heart make Lisa Zhang Wharton’s Last Kiss in Tiananmen Square a novel you won’t want to put down. Set in the days leading into the student revolution and the government’s violent response to it, the story follows a small group of college friends as they navigate romance and classes and become increasingly emerged in leading a movement that shook the world.

Through her expanding network of well-...more
Alejandro Canton-Dutari
Last Kiss in Tiananmen Square by Lisa Zhang Wharton
Reviewed by Alex Canton-Dutari
I have always been attracted by Chinese culture, and have been to China several times, including Tiananmen Square after the bloodshed described in this book.
The story depicted a very modern look into what seems to be everyday struggles of the student and working population, with great emphasis on perceiving migrating to the US as the solution to all problems.
But I was more concerned about how this novel was difficul...more
Connie Jasperson
I love the Chinese voice that Lisa Zhang Wharton writes with. Her experience as a Chinese woman comes across in her story, and it feels almost auto-biographical. You feel the grimmness of the conditions that the people of China lived under during the time of the Tiananmen Square Massacre. Hope thrives under the conditions of hopelssness. Baiyun struggles with her mother's morality, her own wishes and dreams, and with the burdens that were inherent to being a modern woman in China. I highly recom...more
Kate (sleepy kitten)
We have all heard of the atrocities that occured at Tiananmen Square, this book provides an insight into some of the student motivations and expectations. In using the political and civil unrest as a backdrop to a budding love affair Lisa Wharton manages to emphasise much about the emotiveness and repression of that time. The main stage however is very much upon the emotional turmoil of a young woman running from her history into the arms of her future. A recommended read.
Susan Lyons
I understand that this was written by a lady for whom English is a second language. The dialogue is terribly stilted and frequently wrong words were used. I wanted to like the book because it sounded interesting, but I got about 40% done before I had to quit. It is just too poorly written.
Katarina

I enjoyed this book very much the dialogue was very interesting
story line was easy to follow characters were blended with a
little aura of excitement the flow of the story was very intense
in some places the location being of course Tiananmen Square
made this a very not only magical but a past that remains in ones
minds two people and others in this story reminds us of the
changes in time
Randy
Extremely insightful drama of one of the most historical events in modern Chinese history, as seen through the eyes of a young college student. A must-read.
Elizabeth
Baiyun lives in China and she studies at the Beijing Industrial University, where she is a conscientious student set on studying hard and escaping from her family life and China. She wants to write the TOFEL exams so that she can go to America, but she is drawn into the student revolution and she falls in love with Dagong, a married man.

The story spans the weeks during which students occupied Tiananmen Square and refused to eat or move until their demands were met. The protest began with a march...more
Becky
Obviously a translation, but a story that needs to be told. However, it could use some editing. I'm used to reading broken English, so it made me smile and think of my kids in Thailand. But it was sometimes hard to read and made me put it down to take a break.
Ian Jones
Sep 09, 2012 Ian Jones marked it as to-read
haven't read yet..but the topic of Tiananmen Squ. Massacre is tacky and full of cliches. A superficial combo of political database and people's life during a most complicated and vibrant sea change of Chinese society is just so cheap..
J. Darroll Hall
I've had the please of nurturing this book for months now and can believe how great this story is. With all of the worlds turmoil, this is one of the most relevant books coming out today... Great job and great book Lisa....
Pame Brennan
This is a VERY exciting book!
Maria Paiz
A love story set at the time of the Tiananmen square student massacre in Beijing, this story is written in a style that is simple, with characters that are simple (despite the author's attempt to make their stories complex), and with a predictable outcome. I did give it a second star, however, because I came to appreciate the feelings that drove the students to protest and demand from their government freedom and change. (Perhaps this book would do great in the "Young Adults" section of the book...more
Morgan
I'm really glad I got this book as a Kindle free download because it really needs a good editor. The characters were interesting and engaging, and the author did a good job of setting the the mood of the protests and conveying the feeling of the students. I took some issue with the ending because I did not feel that the author built up to it enough for that dramatic an ending.
Esther Bergling
I hate to give negative reviews. However I cant continue to read. The conversations between characters are terrible in the way their written. I enjoy books on eastern culture and lifestyle and that's what drew me to this book but it not worth the read.
Yasemin Barcock
OK book to kill some time and get a very superficial overview of China in the 80s.

WARNING this book does not have a happy ending.

I've read all the bad reviews about grammar & typo and wording. It did not bother me at all..

Christi Griffel mancha
I could not get past the strange feeling of the very unnatural sounding dialogue. It was awkward to read though I pushed through for the sake of the content and a book club.
Michael
Interesting story of love and patriotism set forth in May 1989, Beijing. A good read.
Kandi
Couldn't get into it.
April Schneider
April Schneider marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Emma Campbell
Emma Campbell marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Leah Halkett
Leah Halkett marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Abdiazis
Abdiazis marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Chin Chin
Chin Chin marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Daria
Daria marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Meiyi
Meiyi marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Nieka
Nieka marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
a hands clutching a doll in my hear 2 2 Mar 06, 2014 10:14PM
kiss in vietdutravel 1 2 Mar 06, 2014 10:12PM
  • White Shanghai: A Novel of the Roaring Twenties in China
  • The Song of Everlasting Sorrow: A Novel of Shanghai
  • Black Numbers, Edition One
  • The Flowers of War
  • Beijing Confidential: A Tale of Comrades Lost and Found in the New Forbidden City
  • Miss Chopsticks
  • A Cup of Light
  • Family
  • The Last Jump: A Novel of World War II
  • Beloved
My Uncle (Mothers, Daughters and Affairs)