Start by marking “X-Men Legacy: Five Miles South of the Universe” as Want to Read:
X-Men Legacy: Five Miles South of the Universe

X-Men Legacy: Five Miles South of the Universe (X-Men, Volume II #55)

Wayward X-Man Marvel Girl only managed to leave a brief psychic message with Rogue before being ripped away from Earth...and thrown back into the middle of an extraterrestrial war! Now Rogue and her team of X-Men are on an intergalactic search and rescue mission, hoping to pull their long lost teammates from the fray. But in what condition will they find Marvel Girl, Havok ...more
Published March 14th 2012 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about X-Men Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men Legacy

Derek
I'm a little heartbroken, Mike Carey's rum on the X-men comes to an end with this volume. But, wow! What an ending. I wouldn't call this volume the strongest of Mike's run, but it is memorable enough, he's done the impossible with this series, made it Cerebral. Not everyone will appreciate it, but it was the series' only lacking merit. Now, comes the fretting about whether to continue with the series after Mike's run. Now comes the fretting.
Sonic
Jun 02, 2015 Sonic rated it liked it
With Mike Carey we have to pay for the cerebral adventure that he wants to take us on, and the price we have to pay is in Words!
His words that is,
the ones we have to read,
which slows down the action,
and sometimes lessens the suspense, ...

but I still find that I like his stories.
And his characterizations are strong with a good handling of emotions.

And the art is fairly strong, if a little stiff, and mostly consistent through out.

Mike
Dec 08, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Not sure about the art in the first storyline - it's like looking in a slightly warped mirror. The basic shapes all look fine but sometimes the proportions are a bit off - and Rogue's face especially seems to look weird, almost manly. Yeah, it's just the faces that get so skewed by Kurth - like they all have weird tumours. The second, post-Schism storyline's art is just simplistic, but for the colourist.

I don't recognise Havok and Polaris as written in their current form - aggressive, mistrustfu
M
Aug 08, 2013 M rated it it was ok
Mike Carey has been tasked with the impossible - bringing back Havok, Polaris, and Marvel Girl from the depths of comic lore in time for the X-Men Schism event. In that regard, he succeeds with a final coda to the long-simmering Starjammers out in Shi'ar space. Rogue borrows Legion's teleportation skills and drops her squad into the middle of a galactic brawl. While she does find Marvel Girl and make friends with a crew of pirates, the other half of her crew are battling a horde of insectoid ali ...more
Ryan
Nov 25, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: justok
Why is it never interesting when the X-Men go into space? I liked it when they fought the Brood for the first time back in 1979. Also liked it when Jim Lee drew them (back when Gambit was a fun character and Banshee was alive) in 1989. But besides those memorable trips, the X-Men going into space is never as cool as them staying on Earth.

Oh yeah, I also liked when Joss Whedon wrote Astonishing and they went to Breakworld. But like this book, it was good in spite of the fact that they were in sp
Shaun
May 30, 2013 Shaun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shannon Appelcline
I’m very sorry to see the Brubaker/Carey era of the X-Men come to an end, but Carey does a good job of bookending it here, by following up on the space threads created in Brubaker’s first major arc. The result is very enjoyable, as we get to see Carey write a few X-Men who have been gone for the comics too long. Especially in the second story in this volume, it’s Rogue who carries the book, as Carey has figured out her characterization perfectly … just as things are coming to an end.
Chris Lemmerman
Sep 04, 2012 Chris Lemmerman rated it really liked it
The Five Miles South of the Universe story isn't bad, with the final two issues especially being very good, but then the Half A Step story that finishes off the trade easily outstrips them all. They work nicely as an end to Mike Carey's run on the book, as well as Rogue's time on Utopia, and just feel like a fitting end to everything so far.
Johnny Tentoes
Aug 23, 2013 Johnny Tentoes rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I love the X-men, but I have to admit that I am sick and tired of the whole mutants vs. the world storyline. It's been going on, like forever, so whenever a story isn't about that, I get very excited. This is why I love X-men in space. The Shi'ar storylines bring an epic feel to the book. I am hoping that "the Days of Future Past" movie is followed up by a cosmic X-men film.
Amélie
May 09, 2013 Amélie rated it really liked it
Pretty cool adventure with real suspense. It was nice to meet with Havok, Polaris and the others, and the various family dynamics were well handled. I'm still not convinced by Magnus/Rogue, but I appreciate that the author handles it without bashing Gambit.

It's not my favourite volume of the series but I quite liked it.
Elizabeth
Everybody gets a bit resurrected sometimes.

So Ariel comes back because she's somehow important. They rescue Rachel Summers despite the fact I can't think of a single reason to. Despite that, this is a punch-a-minute action flick of a comic that just keeps coming and coming. Good times.

Also, totally shipping Rogneto.
Eric Mikols
Jun 22, 2013 Eric Mikols rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x-men
Gah. I hate when the X-Men go into space. I really do. It's a boring troupe that's been attached to them ever since the Dark Phoenix/Brood Sagas. This volume is an example of how dull X-Men/Space stories are. It's too bad that Mike Carey's excellent run had to end on such a note.
Esther
Jun 18, 2013 Esther rated it liked it
The plot was well-written and it was great to see Rogue stepping up in her leadership roles. However, nothing will change my mind about the thing between Rogue and Magneto. It's wrong on so many levels. I'm supporting Gambit/Rogue all the way.
David
Some good dialogue and action scenes but too many cast members and too expansive a story line for my little brain to absorb. Just became overwhelmed by who was battling who and why they were all fighting in the first place. As they say on the West Wing: 'Next'!
Frans Karlsson
Dec 09, 2013 Frans Karlsson rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-sci-fi
A good story explaining how Havoc, Ms Marvel and Polaris comes back to earth from their journey through the Shiar empire and the storyline of Vulcan. They are helped on their way by a team of X-men lead by Rogue. I liked the story.
Daniel
Feb 05, 2014 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
boring and didn't like art
Bill Mazzola
Mar 07, 2012 Bill Mazzola rated it it was ok
Too cosmic for my tastes, but the Rogue/Magneto issues at the end saved it from being a waste of time
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Ambika
Ambika rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Nuno Gonçalves
Nuno Gonçalves rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
May 08, 2013
Ross Norris
Ross Norris rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2014
Johnathan Davis
Johnathan Davis rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Steve Si
Steve Si rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Mela
Mela rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Jette
Jette rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Yurana
Yurana rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2015
Brett
Brett rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2012
Aaron Swensen
Aaron Swensen rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2012
  • Guardians of the Galaxy/All-New X-Men: The Trial of Jean Grey
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 12: Unmasked
  • Avengers vs X-men Round 4
  • X-Men, by Brian Wood, Volume 1: Blank Generation
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli
More about Mike Carey...

X-Men, Volume II (1 - 10 of 56 books)
  • X-Men: Mutant Genesis