Start by marking “X-Men Legacy: Five Miles South of the Universe” as Want to Read:
X-Men Legacy: Five Miles South of the Universe

X-Men Legacy: Five Miles South of the Universe (X-Men II #52)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Wayward X-Man Marvel Girl only managed to leave a brief psychic message with Rogue before being ripped away from Earth...and thrown back into the middle of an extraterrestrial war! Now Rogue and her team of X-Men are on an intergalactic search and rescue mission, hoping to pull their long lost teammates from the fray. But in what condition will they find Marvel Girl, Havok ...more
Published March 14th 2012 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about X-Men Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men Legacy

Sonic
With Mike Carey we have to pay for the cerebral adventure that he wants to take us on, and the price we have to pay is in Words!
His words that is,
the ones we have to read,
which slows down the action,
and sometimes lessens the suspense, ...

but I still find that I like his stories.
And his characterizations are strong with a good handling of emotions.

And the art is fairly strong, if a little stiff, and mostly consistent through out.

Mike
Not sure about the art in the first storyline - it's like looking in a slightly warped mirror. The basic shapes all look fine but sometimes the proportions are a bit off - and Rogue's face especially seems to look weird, almost manly. Yeah, it's just the faces that get so skewed by Kurth - like they all have weird tumours. The second, post-Schism storyline's art is just simplistic, but for the colourist.

I don't recognise Havok and Polaris as written in their current form - aggressive, mistrustfu
M
Mike Carey has been tasked with the impossible - bringing back Havok, Polaris, and Marvel Girl from the depths of comic lore in time for the X-Men Schism event. In that regard, he succeeds with a final coda to the long-simmering Starjammers out in Shi'ar space. Rogue borrows Legion's teleportation skills and drops her squad into the middle of a galactic brawl. While she does find Marvel Girl and make friends with a crew of pirates, the other half of her crew are battling a horde of insectoid ali ...more
Ryan
Nov 25, 2012 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: justok
Why is it never interesting when the X-Men go into space? I liked it when they fought the Brood for the first time back in 1979. Also liked it when Jim Lee drew them (back when Gambit was a fun character and Banshee was alive) in 1989. But besides those memorable trips, the X-Men going into space is never as cool as them staying on Earth.

Oh yeah, I also liked when Joss Whedon wrote Astonishing and they went to Breakworld. But like this book, it was good in spite of the fact that they were in sp
Shaun
David
Some good dialogue and action scenes but too many cast members and too expansive a story line for my little brain to absorb. Just became overwhelmed by who was battling who and why they were all fighting in the first place. As they say on the West Wing: 'Next'!
Daniel
boring and didn't like art
Shannon Appelcline
I’m very sorry to see the Brubaker/Carey era of the X-Men come to an end, but Carey does a good job of bookending it here, by following up on the space threads created in Brubaker’s first major arc. The result is very enjoyable, as we get to see Carey write a few X-Men who have been gone for the comics too long. Especially in the second story in this volume, it’s Rogue who carries the book, as Carey has figured out her characterization perfectly … just as things are coming to an end.
Johnny Tentoes
I love the X-men, but I have to admit that I am sick and tired of the whole mutants vs. the world storyline. It's been going on, like forever, so whenever a story isn't about that, I get very excited. This is why I love X-men in space. The Shi'ar storylines bring an epic feel to the book. I am hoping that "the Days of Future Past" movie is followed up by a cosmic X-men film.
Chris Lemmerman
The Five Miles South of the Universe story isn't bad, with the final two issues especially being very good, but then the Half A Step story that finishes off the trade easily outstrips them all. They work nicely as an end to Mike Carey's run on the book, as well as Rogue's time on Utopia, and just feel like a fitting end to everything so far.
Amélie
Pretty cool adventure with real suspense. It was nice to meet with Havok, Polaris and the others, and the various family dynamics were well handled. I'm still not convinced by Magnus/Rogue, but I appreciate that the author handles it without bashing Gambit.

It's not my favourite volume of the series but I quite liked it.
Eric Mikols
Gah. I hate when the X-Men go into space. I really do. It's a boring troupe that's been attached to them ever since the Dark Phoenix/Brood Sagas. This volume is an example of how dull X-Men/Space stories are. It's too bad that Mike Carey's excellent run had to end on such a note.
eXtreme
The plot was well-written and it was great to see Rogue stepping up in her leadership roles. However, nothing will change my mind about the thing between Rogue and Magneto. It's wrong on so many levels. I'm supporting Gambit/Rogue all the way.
Frans Karlsson
A good story explaining how Havoc, Ms Marvel and Polaris comes back to earth from their journey through the Shiar empire and the storyline of Vulcan. They are helped on their way by a team of X-men lead by Rogue. I liked the story.
Bill Mazzola
Too cosmic for my tastes, but the Rogue/Magneto issues at the end saved it from being a waste of time
James
The art is pretty good but the story is just...eh.
Shamil400
Shamil400 marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Ashley
Ashley added it
Aug 08, 2015
Kaleb Goldbeck
Kaleb Goldbeck marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
  • X-Men: Prelude to Schism
  • Uncanny X-Men: Quarantine
  • A+X, Vol. 1: = Awesome
  • X-Men: Manifest Destiny
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli
More about Mike Carey...

X-Men II (1 - 10 of 56 books)
  • X-Men: Mutant Genesis
  • The Origin of Generation X: Tales of the Phalanx Covenant
  • X-Men: Legion Quest
  • X-Men: Age of Apocalypse Prelude
  • X-Babies Classic, Vol. 1
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) Lucifer, Vol. 1: Devil in the Gateway Ender's Shadow: Command School