read book

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Finalist in Horror Orangeberry Hall of Fame 2013. Something has moved into the Amador Hotel. Hector, Marcos, Bev, and Tony of the Paranormal Posse are called in to either debunk the haunting or get rid of whatever is causing the problems. With the surprise arrival of Hector's son, he tries to keep his professional and personal lives separate, but whatever is haunting the A...more
Published October 6th 2011 by Alchemy of Scrawl (first published September 30th 2010)

Witch in the Woods by Taylor Ann BunkerFacing the Son, A Novel of Africa by M.L. RudolphCorpalism by Arun D. EllisThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonTable 21 by T. Rafael Cimino
Try it!
92nd out of 108 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
A really quick read; Amador Lockdown reminds me a bit of the TV series Ghost Hunters. In this book we've also got a group of ghost hunters that are called to the Amador Hotel to check out some strange occurrences. As a fairly short book, it works to give you a few chills, but nothing too momentous.

As I truly enjoy ghost stories, I was really curious about Amador Lockdown as soon as I read its brief, but eerie synopsis. We are right away introduced to four ghost hunter friends who call themselves...more
Katy
Oct 09, 2011 Katy added it
Recommends it for: fans of mystery, ghost stories
Shelves: ebook, i-edited
Since I did the editing on this book, I feel uncomfortable rating it or writing a "real" review - however, I will say I very much enjoyed editing this book and learning about the characters. I'm also now curious about the ghost traditions of the TX/NM area and, if I had any extra time, I'd probably start doing mad research on it. As it is ,I'll have to just pick other people's brains ....

At any rate, if you enjoy ghost stories and stories that end with a shocking twist, definitely check out Amad...more
Bandit
This turned out way better than I expected. I don't normally like the paranormal investigator stories, but this one ended up being more of a possession story, much more interesting. Good writing, likeable characters, excellent dialogue, nice twist at the end, this was a pretty enjoyable and entertaining read. Very quick too, not even 3 hours. Recommended.
Darcus
This is one of those books for me that caight my attention when I read the summary and the request for a review. I accapted the request with every intention of reading and enjoying it. I found the idea and plot line very interesting and it peaked my curiosity, but I just couldn't get into it. I was easily distracted and honestly, it took me two days to read twenty pages. I really hate it when a book doesn't hold my interest because it makes me feel horrible. I always try to give the book the ben...more
Jenna Anderson
This falls into my DNF pile. I wanted to enjoy it and keep going, but I couldn't. Was the story horrible, no. I just couldn't see it through all the issues.

The formatting problems on the Kindle version are very frustrating and easy to fix. The entire book is justified left, there are line spaces between each paragraph which spreads the book out and causes a lot of clicking/page turns, and there are many, many lines breaks where there shouldn't be.

Also, I know this title was edited, but I think...more
J.C. Andrijeski
I don't usually read ghost stories, I admit, but I was intrigued enough to pick this one up, partly because it was set in a part of the United States that I'm fairly familiar with, and partly because I like the author. The novel starts off as a pretty light story, despite the subject matter, with a group of paranormal investigators calling themselves "the Paranormal Posse" giving tours in a haunted graveyard and running investigations upon request of home owners and others who have experienced a...more
It’s no secret how much I enjoy the supernatural. I’m a sucker for all of the paranormal TV shows, regardless how cheesy they get sometimes. I just can’t resist a good spooky story. I’m sure we have all heard something go Bump! in the night or a strange sound that sent chills down our spines as we secretly wondered what the heck it was, right? Well, Russell brings that creepy feel to life in Amador Lockdown.

Russell starts off this creepy paranormal tale with the Paranormal Posse leading a tour g...more
Books
Gloriously spooky, this book follows the paranormal posse as they investigate the strange happenings at the Amador Hotel. No special powers here, just four people with an interest in ghosts and the paranormal in general. When Darren, a rebellious teenager who is said to be out of control, enters the situation, things get truly complicated.

When I started reading “Amador Lockdown”, I thought it was going to be yet another ghost story. I soon realized how wrong I was when, a few chapters into the...more
Kriss
Feb 14, 2012 Kriss rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal ghost hunting lovers
Recommended to Kriss by: Coral
What a pleasure this book was to read. A well written and down to earth ghost story. With everyone writing a new paranormal romance, mystery or urban fantasy novel these days, it is hard to find a good old fashioned ghost story. This one is set in a real hotel in El Paso. It opens in one of the most famous graveyards that I have also visited on a ghost story. From the first page this book felt comfortable, like I had slipped into my favorite sweats and curled up with my favorite tea cup under a...more
Maureen Hovermale
The story begins with a team of four who do paranormal investigations and tours on the side, seeing anomalies occasionally, and well-versed in the equipment of the trade.

An investigation is soon underway which, as the title suggests, is a lockdown at the Amador. The Amador is an historical site and hotel that is experiencing irregularities which are now causing its bookings to suffer. Several events have been ruined by eye-witness accounts which have forced a skeptical admittance to the crew.

The...more
Liz at Fictional Candy
Well this story was definitely different, and not quite what I was expecting. But I enjoyed it very much. We start with a group of paranormal investigators, The Paranormal Posse. Kind of a funny name, but if you’ve ever seen any of the paranormal investigation shows on TV, you know most of them have a keen sense of humor. The Paranormal Posse specializes in investigations and also runs tours at different locations, allowing the public in on the investigating.

At the beginning of the book we meet...more
Kel (Bookworm)
It wasn't what I was expecting, which was a nice twist. Hector, head of the Paranormal Posse (like the name), is given custody of his 16 year old son, Darren. Hector's partners understand that family comes first so they start the investigation of the Amador Hotel and the weird things that have been happening there. Fundraisers and events are being done to raise money to restore the building, during these events weird, unexplained things happen, which brings in the Paranormal Posse. There isn't a...more
Brenda Wallace
Deeply Chilling. This story takes you on a wild unpredictable ride that makes a convincing case for the thin line between life and death. There is enough intriguing research intertwined with the setting and plot to give this ghost story a realistic feel. As a result, I can tell you right now that I’ll never agree to a ghost tour that includes a lockdown. If you ever think you know what will happen on the next page, you will be wrong. That’s one of the things I love about Indie stories is that th...more
Anita
I get bored easily, so my favorite types of books to read are psychological thrillers and mysteries. Unfortunately, I am also usually able to predict the ending when I'm halfway through most books. That was not the case here.

You've read the overview, and it takes nothing away from the suspense and unexpected ending that I found here. Coral used her writing wit, and tricked me all the way through to the end.

It is easy to "know" and identify with these likable characters just enough as you travel...more
Scott Rhine
This is part of Coral's "Paranormal Posse" collection. I read it in one sitting.

Starting with the focus on the Posse and jumping at shadows in the cemetary was great. I think the interview style of interleaving the initial events works very well. Like a forensic crime show, this despicts how paranormal investigators do legwork and the tools of the trade. This story is a good portrait of normal people with everyday problems that get interrupted by the supernatural.
Apart from the ghost angle, it a...more
Sarah Baethge
Nov 12, 2011 Sarah Baethge rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like Ghost stories
Shelves: reviewed
Amador Lockdown by Coral Russel is a fun book that tells of the haunting of an old hotel. When a group of ghost hunters, The Paranormal Posse, try to have a fun ghost tour of the place, they suddenly find themselves dealing with angry hotel owners and even possible possession.
Although they wanted to show off ghosts, Hector never counted on the fact that his own son’s body could be stolen by a spook lusting for life. Believe in ghosts or not, you have to appreciate the horror of Hector when he st...more
Donna
I absolutely LOVE ghost stories. Especially out of the ordinary ghost stories. This is such a story, a wonderful spin on the paranormal. This book has everything you could ask for, evil spirits, not so evil spirits, teenagers who bodies are stolen by the ghosts wanting to come back to life (that alone should get your attention) and parental love. We see how far one Dad will go when a spirit wanting to cling to life wants his son's body.
This author has surprised me and kept me in suspense until...more
Jessica Stampe
LOVED it! I opened this book (a novella, really) this morning to see if it was my cup of tea and was hooked from the first page. I read it from cover to cover nonstop because I simply HAD to know what was going to happen next. Also, there was so much tension and freakiness in the book that I was a little scared to walk into my dark closet after finishing the book. What can I say? I scare easily (i.e., the movie SIGNS gave me the chills).

Read more at Food For Thought.
Deb Novack
Well, Coral Russell you have done it again. What a wonderful paranormal story. It had a little bit of everything, problems with teens,spirits and evil entities. The Paranormal Possee is great and the storyline between Hector and his son is so much like a normal family. This book makes me want to go on a Ghost Tour.
Keep on writing, I could not put it down.
Kathy
With the main character believing in the paranormal and having to take custody of his troubled son, and what one is willing to go to save family. The characters are well written and you can believe the lengths a father would go to save his son. The story kept me enganged and wanting to know how it ended.
Grampy
“Amador Lockdown” by Coral Russell is a riveting tale of paranormal excellence. Hector and the Paranormal Posse (that is NOT the name of a rock band) were doing just fine with their public tours of allegedly haunted buildings in old El Paso, Texas. They even did the occasional “ghost hunting” routine to prove or debunk rumored hauntings. When they decided to debunk the notion that Amador Hotel was haunted, they discovered a far darker “other side” than they ever expected to experience.

On top of...more
Theresa
by: Coral Russell

I won this book on LibraryThing/giveaway

This is a paranormal book. It starts in a cemetery that is suspected of being haunted with a group of paranormal investigators that call themselves the "Paranormal Posse". The Paranormal Posse give `ghost tours' for everyday people wanting to experience the paranormal. The real activity starts when they start to investigate and give an overnight tour at an old haunted hotel called the Amador.

There are several layers to this...more
Home. Love. Books.
To read this review and more like it check out my site www.ufreviews.com

From the synopsis I immediate thought of all of those tv shows that deal with people hunting down ghosts. There is certainly an audience for people who enjoy ghost hunting. I think people in general like the idea of people from the past sticking around, it's kind of a fun thing to think about and certainly can have plenty of uses in a book.

That being said I am not a person who likes to be scared, so that was really my only...more
David Brown
I don’t find American horror films particularly scary and haven’t done for many years now. Whenever I have the inclination to be terrified I turn to South Korean and Japanese horror films which always leave me unnerved. It’s a while since I read horror and I don’t recall the last time I read a ghost story so I was intrigued by Amador Lockdown. The novel focuses on the Paranormal Posse – a quartet of friends that investigate the spooky and paranormal. At the outset they are giving a tour in an ee...more
S.M. Johnson
I won't recap the plot, as it has been done, but let me tell you, I'm not planning to stay at the Amador Hotel any time soon. Here's my disclaimer - I am generally not a reader of ghost stories. That being said, Ms. Russell weaves a creepy tale that teaches me about the acoutrements of paranormal investigation, yanks me down a dark hallway, and leaves me, in the end, gasping in surprise.

Hector's newly-formed and difficult relationship with his son hits dead on the mark, and I'm hoping to get to...more
Asma
A well writing ghost hunting, possession story :P though I didn't get the end!!
Who took the boy's body!!!
Lesley McCullough

A hauntingly good paranormal ghost story holding the tension from start to finish. Although less than 100 pages in length it had plenty of content and good characters. Intriguing read leaving a desire for more ghost hunting adventures with the Paranormal Posse (the main protagonists). The relationship between father and son, the glimpse into the spirit world and the twist at the end create more depth to the narrative. If you like a good old fashioned ghost hunt then this is for you.

Angel
Wait, what?

I am so confused. This book was awesome. So many great characters, great dialogue, believable albeit supernatural circumstances, then boom. What happened? No, really. What happened? I guess I'll have to read the other books to find out. Not really into that...I like closure.
Antriksh
The book was okay. It got very intense and exciting by the end, but in the beginning, the story was not extremely easy to follow and the number of characters was overwhelming. It's a fun read, though. Read it if you're looking for a quick read on a flight or something.
Laura Iverson
Great book, especially if you (like me) watch way more ghost hunting shows than you'd like to admit :-). Love the old hotel setting, and the Hispanic culture. The book moves at a good pace, never slow.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Love Goodreads and reading books, watching movies/TV, listening to music. What do you like to read, watch, listen to?
More about Coral Russell...
Playing with Fire The (almost) Complete DIY Guide to eBook Publishing Sacrifice Key to a Haunting Peace on the Peninsula

“You always save the best lies for yourself.” 0 likes