Start by marking “Dominion of the Eth (Wings #2)” as Want to Read:
Dominion of the Eth (Wings #2)

Dominion of the Eth (Wings #2)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  434 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
The collar would stay, for Rylis would never free Tamrin…

Childhood memories of the Eth did no justice to what Rylis Tanyan would encounter in the depths of the Teeathun forest. But what he had treasured before had betrayed him, and now he must fight to escape the confines of the forest and his feelings for Tamrin, the Eth whom he’d loved long ago...
Published October 7th 2011 by Etopia Press (first published October 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dominion of the Eth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dominion of the Eth

Hot Head by Damon SuedeBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneThe Locker Room by Amy LaneDivide & Conquer by Abigail RouxBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton
Best M/M Romance Published in 2011
139th out of 506 books — 1,018 voters
Captive Prince by C.S. PacatLuck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingLord of the White Hell, Book 1 by Ginn Hale
Best Gay Fantasy Romance
106th out of 517 books — 958 voters

More lists with this book...

Emma Sea
Mar 21, 2012 Emma Sea rated it really liked it
A very unusual hurt/comfort non-con/abuse story, with a soft and tender heart, and a regretful abuser.

And sheesh, that ending; oh so lovely, lovely, lovely, and hot, hot, hot.

Now it's not very many m/m stories that make me realise I'm an idiot, but when Tamrin said (view spoiler)
Simsala
Authors are cruel!
Twenty-four hours after finishing The Dominion Of The Eth I still have puffy eyes.The result of tearing up on every occasion - couldn`t get the damn book out of my head.Thanks to Ms.Owens for putting me through the wringer like that...

I was hooked from the beginning.Fascinating characters in an intense,fairly dark and complex story with exceptional worldbuilding.
Coming to the the middle of the book I sat on the edge of my seat - nail-biting,unbelieving and chanting "don`t do th
Lady*M
Nov 19, 2012 Lady*M marked it as dnf
Shelves: fantasy, m-m-romance
At this point - approximately halfway through the book - I have to stop. I hate it so much - even more so because it's decently written - that it physically sickens me. I literally cried, not because I was touched, but because I was so, so angry.

I'll try to come back to it in a few days, just because I don't like leaving books unfinished, but I can't see how my impressions could be any different.

EDIT:

After contemplating for several days, I decided to postpone finishing this book indefinitely.
Heather♥
Oct 19, 2011 Heather♥ rated it it was amazing

Reading some of the other reviews first almost scared me away from starting this book because of the strong emotions it apparently evoked, which I found to be very true. But even though it was often a difficult read, I'm glad that I took a chance. I was initially hoping it would have more of Anyar and Vanyae from the first book (they only had a brief cameo here), but the world-building in this one led us to the Eth instead and the imagery was wonderful. The first third of the book was a
Ayanna
(view spoiler)

Ahem. (embarrassed cough) Here is a more...sane review after having taken a little time to distance myself and think it over.

I have to say, this book is on a completely different than Owens's previous books. I think part of the problem was I was approaching this the way I normally do Owens's books. My perceptions were colored by my impressions of her previous books, so I couldn't fully appreciate it. Or maybe, because I went in assuming so
Diane
Oct 08, 2011 Diane rated it it was amazing
This book explores a thoroughly complex relationship where both characters waver between tender love and misguided cruelty.

What makes the story so fascinating is there is no easy black or white; there are no completely good guys or bad guys… the whole story is told in beautiful and sometimes heartbreaking shades of gray.

I’d recommend it, especially if you are a fan the author’s other works.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Sep 29, 2012 Jo * Smut-Dickted * rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of MM capture stories with shades of grey heroes!
This author remains one of my all time favorites. I love the worlds she creates and the characters that inhabit them. Here Rylis and Tamrin have their story - and what a story it is!

Neither is an all good or all bad man - or being - they are absolutely flavored with shades of grey so intricate that you feel a bit like a bobble head at times. As the ebb and flow goes from one to the other in terms of who has the upper hand the story weaves its magic around you. Captive and Captor both the men lea
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Jun 15, 2012 Vfields Don't touch my happy! rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Sometimes its not easy reading the ends and outs of character development. JC Owens doesn't make it easy to get the whole story but this time around we do. Unlike Wings which left me with so many questions I was frustrated. Dominion of the Eth left no stone upturned and I applaud her work. Love is not always easy and those readers who ventured to the end went on a bumpy, sometimes ugly ride to understanding true love.
Td
I would never call what I write reviews in the traditional sense. They are usually a few words and personal opinions on how I felt about the book. Well, I'm at a loss for words and my feelings are a jumbled mess, so there goes that. Not an easy read that was still somehow beautifully written and totally worth the painful ride.
Betryal
Mar 01, 2015 Betryal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
JC has me once again entranced and enthralled with these stories. Took time to produce this one since the last, but dayum it was well worth the wait. Two thumbs up!
Clover
Oct 09, 2011 Clover rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, paranormal
that was a wonderful and heartbreaking story.
Cole Riann
Though I had a few problems with Wings, the prequel to this book, I still enjoyed it quite a bit and I've definitely loved several of JC Owens' books. I have never been more disappointed to have to permanently shelve a book before.

Dominion has so many things that I felt were lacking in Wings, mostly the worldbuilding. There is so much more rich history and race relations stuff here that is really fascinating. My problem stems from the MC, Rylis. Never, ever ever have I disliked a character as mu
Cathrine08
Aug 12, 2013 Cathrine08 rated it it was ok
Total bewilderment . That's what I get from this story. I find myself with the same predicament as Lady*M - just after half of the story and unable to continue.
My main problem is the question - WHY?
At the beginning of the story I was introduced to the really good main character. He was nice, thoughtful, compassionate and reasonable. I couldn't connect him with the character I remembered from the end of "Wings" because of so much difference. I liked him. Then he is rejoined with the other main c
❂ Endless
Oct 24, 2011 ❂ Endless rated it liked it
Shelves: erotic-m-m
The book was written well and the world building was exceptional and evocative. The first 20-25% of the book was quite engaging...BUT, the rest of the book kinda fell flat as, for most of the book the MCs can't really communicate with each other. There's not a whole lot of dialog but a lot of inner monologue of Rylis. Since the MCs couldn't actually communicate 'cos of language barriers I kept wanting to read about Tamrin's inner thoughts and feelings to get his side of the story/perspective. I ...more
Vivian
Feb 14, 2013 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica-fantasy, own
Sweet and hurts.

Nice add on to the Melan world and Anyar and Vanyae make a surprising yet brief appearance for this story revolves an entirely different race as yet undiscussed--the Eth. Ethereal beings with sharp pointy teeth and three inch claws, fierce and delicate they are desirable.

Rylis's encounter as a child didn't prepare him for what he sees as an adult. His reconnection with Tamarin is unexpected and each of them commits acts they will come to regret. Can duty and love find a place to
Juxian
Mar 23, 2016 Juxian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abused
So inconsistent, I know. I hated Wings-1 so much that I wasn't going to read the sequel. But then I saw it was about Tanyan, the only character in Wings-1 who wasn't utterly pathetic - and that the same reviewers who adored "sweet wuv" in Wings-1 were pretty pissed with this book, so I decided to give it a chance. And wow. It was like it was written by a different person. So much deeper, more complex, thought provoking. Rylis Tanyan was such an awesome character. Strong-minded and strong-willed, ...more
Marsha Spence
Feb 21, 2015 Marsha Spence rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this followup to Wings. There was alot going on; lots of rage, anger, love, desire to possess. The ending made me cry. HEA, just in case you wondered. :)
Moniqee
Oct 10, 2011 Moniqee rated it really liked it
It was good but the epilogue was the one that tugs my heart that I can't help but cried at the end.

Give this story a try, you wont regret it.
Ayune01
Oct 13, 2011 Ayune01 rated it it was amazing
i was going ga-ga when reading this book.
i'm totally addicted to Author's plot.
Tammy
May 06, 2014 Tammy rated it liked it
I usually LOVE all of J.C. Owen books but I have to say I was a bit disappointed in this one. I was felt through most of the book Rylis treated the Eth Tamrin just like an animal and this was supposedly someone he was suppose to care about. It just made me sad to read it and Tamrin was such a gentle person who truely loved Rylis and he choose to bend to his will even though Rylis put him through so much abuse. The moral of the story was for Tamrin to learn from his experence with Rylis but I hat ...more
Nana
I loved this Story even more with the topic of redemption, communication issues and character development of both MCs, but I still didn't get why Tamrin loved Rylis especially after only two and not most fortunate encounters. Along the story we were able to see some others character's POV but never one of Tamrin.
Also somethings were not completely explained especially about Elf's world and the apparent affect they had on outsiders. I would have liked to understand more about that.

Apart of it, n
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
Sep 08, 2012 Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
4 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Commander Rylis Tanyan met an Eth long ago, and now, many years later, he is called to a village on the edges of the Melan kingdom and the Teeathun forest to sort out the problems they are having with the Eth. But, he is surprised by what he finds and ends up captured by the very Eth he once briefly met, and he will repay the betrayal with one of his own.

This is a very good novel where we meet Rylis Tanyan (Wi
Timeforme
This book bothered me quite a bit. (view spoiler) ...more
Omega696
It was a good story, thought I wanted more than once kick both main characters in the shin. Seriously what the hell are you doing guys?
I was mostly sad because of change in the character of Rylis.
It was interesting and fun to read anyway.
Danielle
Oct 09, 2014 Danielle rated it it was ok
I'm so sad I didn't like this. The first on in the series was great! I really wanted to read the captain's book, but it fell flat for me. Found it kinda hard to read at times mostly because the world of the Eth wasn't explained as well as it should have been. Plus the madness that apparently comes over winged human (don't know what species they are) wasn't explained yet it was demonstrated. Though that might not sound confusing it just didn't make any sense when it was happening.

In the end the
☆ Todd
Sep 18, 2013 ☆ Todd rated it really liked it
This story could have very easily gotten 5 stars from me, except that half way through the book Rylis decided completely out of left field (and out of character) to go all 'Dominatrix Without Mercy' on the loving and kind Tamrin. "Let's beat someone we truly care about half to death. That sounds like *awesome* fun." Not. I nearly put the book down then and there.

But before and after that bizarre little trip to the Twilight Zone, I absolutely loved the book, in spite of the whole master / slave t
CB
Sep 02, 2014 CB rated it it was amazing
A very different type of story. You don't have to read the first book "Wings" but I highly recommend it as it gives some background on Rylis Tanyan and it is worth reading. This was dark, harsh but still a story of romance and love. Very unique.
Tamela
Sweet love or painful slavery, both of these are components that make up this fascinating story. How a pure love can be confused and turned to something so much darker, and then back was told wonderfully in this story of two men who had so much to learn about each other... but more to learn about themselves.

I loved this story and highly recommend it... and for the beautiful ending it goes on my 6-star-favs shelf.
PMGingTiger
Jan 31, 2014 PMGingTiger rated it liked it
so sad...and angst! Oh poor Tamrin why you love an asshole like Riley?
Tj
Sep 06, 2015 Tj rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-reads, read-2013
Rylis does make you want to do him bodily harm. I enjoyed the whole story. There is some violence but if you have read other books by this author then that is not unexpected. I thought it was a wonderful story about how Rylis changes and how one can always change. I do wish we had seen a little more from Tamrin's side of things.
  • Spoils of War (Spoils of War, #1)
  • Bonds of Hate (Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse #1)
  • Reclamation (Dominion, #2)
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Kiss the Rain (Jewel Bonds, #2)
  • Sovereign's Gladiator
  • Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1)
  • Concubine
  • Pathfinder
  • Weregild (Wolf's-own, #2)
  • Tribute
  • Cethe
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • Fires Of Ballian (The Draegan Lords, #3)
  • Worth (Gray Zone, #2)
  • Tainted Soul (Tainted, #2)
  • VN2
  • Bloodraven
Also known as J.C. McGuire.

J.C Owens lives in small town, rural Alberta and is a self confessed writing-a-holic. In the absence of help for this affliction…

I do indeed love to write and have over twenty books sitting idle in my computer, waiting… I love the genre of male/male stories and conflict in what a person thinks they want, versus what they truly need to become themselves. I think any writi
More about J.C. Owens...