Justice Society of America, Vol. 1: The Next Age

Justice Society of America, Vol. 1: The Next Age (Justice Society of America (vol. 3) #1; issues 1-4)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  737 ratings  ·  22 reviews
HC, in cello, New, Written by Geoff Johns. Art by Dale Eaglesham, Art Thibert, and Ruy Jose. Cover by Alex Ross. Published in September of 2007, Hardcover, 136 pages, full color. Cover price $19.99.
Published September 19th 2007 by DC Comics

JSA, Vol. 1 by James RobinsonJSA, Vol. 7 by Geoff JohnsJSA, Vol. 2 by David S. GoyerJSA, Vol. 8 by Geoff JohnsJSA, Vol. 3 by David S. Goyer
Best of the Justice Society of America
13th out of 23 books — 3 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanBatman by Alan MooreAkira, Vol. 1 by Katsuhiro OtomoBone by Jeff Smith
Comics I Recommend Highly
81st out of 128 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

John Yelverton
This books series just keeps getting better and better.
Marc's Comics
I really enjoyed this. I was a big fan of Johns' work on the last volume of JSA, and this volume starts off with no letdown. The sense of family is really enjoyable, and gives off the impression that the DCU isn't so big - everything and everyone is seemingly connected by their heirs and influences. Also, it's funny - I'm not sure if it's PC to make jokes at the expense of a schizophrenic Starman, but I was laughing anyway. I'm interested to see what becomes of a brooding and seemingly out of co...more
Ryan
This was first true foray into seriously reading comics. Comics have always been daunting to me as much as Batman or Superman may be known it's hard to try to get into the series when their in the mid #600 issues.

I learned that the Justice society of America(J.S.A.) is the original super hero group but less well known than Justice League. I did not want to get into something extremely mainstream and as the team was getting a reboot and starting at issue #1 again I thought I would keep up with it...more
Amber Ditullio
Dec 04, 2011 Amber Ditullio rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Super Hero comic fans
Shelves: graphic-novel
While the old guard is busy recruiting new members for the JSA, someone is killing this younger generation. This is one of the earlier books from the reboot of the JSA and it's a place where we get introduced to some of the newer members like Damage and Cyclone and see their beginnings in this super team.

The backstories for the new characters flowed seamlessly with the narrative as a whole. I'm finding that I really like Cyclone a lot. She's bubbly and excited, yet even when faced with death on...more
Mark Johnson
This was pretty good, but seemed rather redundant. The basic story, that new heroes being killed by a mysterious foe and the survivors sign up to become members of the Justice Society, is pretty much the same as the as story James Robinson wrote for the first volume of the previous Justice Society series, simply titled JSA (and collected in the JSA: Justice Be Done trade). Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book - Geoff Johns can write an amazing superhero book in his sleep at this point - but i...more
Mark
Vandal Savage always makes a great opponent... and the recruiting storylines give some nice counterpoint to the main story. A great introduction to a new run of JSA.
Annice22
After reading so many of those New 52 books, it's makes you forget that DC Comics used to create some really amazing well written stories. And this was absolutely fantastic.
Jeffrey
This story arc is what made me such a fan of the JSA series, and to this day I find myself returning and reading this story arc time and again, even more than I do my favorite Avengers stories under Busiek's reign. The writing is really down to earth, and it puts a human face on the super heroes of the DC universe, doing so in a fashion that is very believable. This book made me a life-long fan of the series, constantly seeking out new stories in an effort to feed my addiction. If you haven't al...more
Michael
Not bad. This is the first 4 issues of the JSA reboot. A few new characters. Nothing pretty ground breaking. The whole super hero group dynamic is fun to read though the villains are pretty laughable even though the level of violence is quite high with many non-powered characters being pretty much eviscerated in-panel. You shouldn't really be able to find bad guys and Nazis so one-dimensionally evil like this outside of wartime propaganda. Too slim a volume not to drop a star and the cliche driv...more
Brad
The JSA reforms in the wake of Infinite Crisis and 52 with a bigger lineup than usual, and a stronger emphasis on the heroes' family tree. The team now includes Green Lantern, The Flash, Hawkman, Power Girl, Mr. Terrific, Hourman, Liberty Belle, Dr. Mid-Nite, Sandman, Stargirl, Starman, Obsidian, Damage, Cyclone, and TWO Wildcats. Somehow, Geoff Johns makes it all work. Maybe it has something to do with the team fighting a Confederate villain and superpowered Nazis.
Eaglesham's art is great, an...more
Travis
Way too big a cast is introduced and most of them don't get to do anything, a bunch of people get brutally killed just for shock value and there are nazis with a really feeble, evil plan.

What the hell happened to Geoff Johns?

His previous JSA series was pretty brilliant, but this was painfully bad.

I wouldn't have minded his adding so many new heroes to the team, but they take over and most of them aren't that interesting. Liked Hourman/ Liberty Belle, but hated the bit about Wildcat's son.

Korynn
This series really blows out of the gates but doesn't seem really coherent as it keeps relying heavily on backstory or other event related plots. Luckily the main thread is easy to follow - anyone related to the Justice Society, past or present, is being hunted down and killed by Vandal Savage and his hired goons. So we are introduced to an entire new cast of characters while heading a new direction. The major downside: this volume only collects issues 1-4 and you still want to read more!
Peter
I don't know what's going on!!! Who are these people? Superman thinks the world needs better heroes? So many characters!? And we are almost always in one or another characters first act. But damn if this was not fun. So many cheesy one liners. So many random battles. And Nazi raids at a picnic. Hilarious. I thought I'd hate it but man I'll admit that I had fun reading this. Starman's nonsense is hilarious. Superhero enthusiasts need only apply.
Trey Jackson
Enjoyable enough, I can see why people like Geoff Johns. Some really solid character work (Wildcat and Cyclone are standouts), and well structured plot. But the mix of "gritty" tv-esque murders mixed with people in ridiculous costumes (Mr. America, I'm looking right at you) kept me out of the narrative more than I would have liked.
Dan
Wow - a lot going on in this issue of the JSA - basically 3 of the original JSA'ers have to pick a new roster of teammates at the same time that someone is hunting down the families of the early JSA members and killing them. P.S. It's continues in the JLA: The Lightning saga (yes, JLA, not JSA).
StoryTellerShannon
Longer review possibly coming.

ARTISTIC PRESENTATION: B to B plus; STORY/PLOTTING/PANELS: B minus to B;
CHARACTERS/DIALOGUE: B minus to B; ACTION SCENES: B minus to B; JSA FOCUSES/MYTHOLOGY: B to B plus; WHEN READ: end of November 2013; OVERALL GRADE: B to B plus.
Steve
Before the previous volume ended, I thought I was finished with JSA, but when the book returned with this volume, it really knocked it out of the park for me. Fantastic super-hero stuff steeped in DC continuity but not in a divisive or exclusionary way.
Noah Soudrette
A good reintroduction to the heroes of the Justice Society and their unique style. Geoff Johns does it again. A good place book for any new or old JSA fan.
Steven
Love the characters and the concept, although I was still lost as to why it had to be rebooted from the JSA book that was as strong or stronger.
Michael
I picked this up having never read any JSA and was fairly lost. Not a great place to start. It has its moments though.
Ola
The super-natzis are not my favorite badguys everything else is just perfect! :D
"Boo to Nazis!"
Brandon
One of my first comic books and my first introduction to the JSA. This book is amazing.
Shannon Appelcline
A great new beginning for the team.
Snow
read for fun
Moshe Silberman
Moshe Silberman marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
JB
JB marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Hal Jordan
Hal Jordan marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • JSA, Vol. 2: Darkness Falls
  • JSA, Vol. 1: Justice Be Done
  • Justice League of America, Vol. 2: The Lightning Saga
  • Countdown to Final Crisis, Vol. 3
  • Secret Six: Six Degrees of Devastation
  • Superman: Up, Up, and Away!
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
  • The New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
  • Justice: Volume 3
  • Justice League: Generation Lost, Vol.1
  • JLA: Year One
  • The OMAC Project
  • JLA, Vol. 11: The Obsidian Age, Vol. 1
  • Green Lantern Corps, Vol. 2: The Dark Side of Green
Geoff Johns originally hails from Detroit, Michigan. He attended Michigan State University, where he earned a degree in Media Arts and Film. He moved to Los Angeles in the late 1990’s in search of work within the film industry. Through perseverance, Geoff ended up as the assistant to Richard Donner, working on Conspiracy Theory and Lethal Weapon 4. During that time, he also began his comics career...more
More about Geoff Johns...
Blackest Night Green Lantern: Rebirth Infinite Crisis (DC Comics) Justice League, Vol. 1: Origin Green Lantern, Vol. 4: The Sinestro Corps War, Vol. 1