A Roomful of Hovings and Other Profiles

A Roomful of Hovings and Other Profiles

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In this unique book, John McPhee takes us into the world of several fascinating people. His inimitable style reveals the intricate details of his characters lives.
Published May 1st 1979 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about A Roomful of Hovings and Other Profiles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Roomful of Hovings and Other Profiles

James
You know how sometimes you hear that a musician or band that you like, is releasing an acoustic, or rarities, or demo album, and you get excited for it's release, but it always falls flat? And you think to yourself, why did I fall for this again?

First off, Hovings certainly isn't billed as that, but it is one of his earliest books, and the 5 essays here are rarities is some of their style and substance.

As I read through it, I continually found myself making mental lists of all the people I wante...more
Peter
Certainly a good collection of personal profiles, I just didn't find them as compelling as most of his later work.
It could be that I enjoy how he usually inserts his own personal details into his later work. There's a little of that here, just not as much as I'm used to. Without these details, I found these essays to be somewhat flat and impersonal. I suppose it's just the style that was used in magazine writing at the time, which McPhee of course helped to change.

I did enjoy the way he descri...more
Rich Biggs
Some of McPhee's earliest pieces from the 1960s. The title piece, on the museum director Hoving, has been reprinted in at least one collection. I really liked these, and almost all kept my interest fifty-years on.
David
An excellent collection of McPhee's earlier pieces, written well before he buried himself in the world of geology.
Edmond Stevens
This guy is one of my writing heroes -- entertaining yet amazingly informing.
Helen
Especially liked the profile of the lawnkeeper at Wimbledon.
LDuchess
Paperback (1979) with this cover. Some of his earliest.
rachel
OMG best book ever!!
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
James Williams-ness
James Williams-ness marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Jo
Jo added it
May 14, 2014
Henri Rittenberg
Henri Rittenberg marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Betty Ho
Betty Ho marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Wheeler
Wheeler marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
John McPhee was born in Princeton, New Jersey, and was educated at Princeton University and Cambridge University. His writing career began at Time magazine and led to his long association with the New Yorker, where he has been a staff writer since 1965. The same year he published his first book, A Sense of Where You Are, with FSG, and soon followed with The Headmaster (1966), Oranges (1967), The P...more
More about John McPhee...
Coming into the Country Encounters With the Archdruid The Control of Nature Annals of the Former World Basin and Range