Start by marking “Delivering Hope” as Want to Read:
Delivering Hope

Delivering Hope

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  150 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Olivia Spencer wants to be a mother more than anything else, but years of infertility have left her soul wounded and her marriage strained. Allison Campbell is a young, single woman who discovers that a moment of excitement has led to an unplanned pregnancy and overwhelming heartache. Deep love paves the way for sacrifice as the lives of these two women touch.
Published February 8th 2012 by Cedar Fort, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Delivering Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delivering Hope

Christal
Jan 08, 2013 Christal rated it it was amazing
This book is so so amazing I could have written it myself. It is my story minus a few details but while I was reading it I laughed, I cried and remembered so freshly the frustrations and agony over infertility in my life and all that goes along with it! I read some of it out loud to my husband and he was like wow totally what we went through!

It is such a good book I read it in 5 hours! If you want to read a story of love, infertility, adoption and a birth mothers side of it READ this .

Quite ho
Arlena
Jan 07, 2012 Arlena rated it it was amazing

Review:
Olivia and Michael Spencer would have been great parents but after trying over a period of time it just was not in the cards for them due to a infertility problem.
Allison Campbell was a senior just out of high school and from one mistake made with her boyfriend (Brandon White) she was now dealing with a unplanned pregnancy.
Through guidance from Allison's' Bishop she was going to the Family Service for support. At this time adoption was not the cards from Allison.
There was lots of dra
Babs
Olivia has struggled with wanting to be a mom with all the infertility she is down and doesn't know what to do. Her marriage is starting to take a toll on both her and her husband. She meets Allison who is a young single woman who has gotten pregnant. She has not clue what to do until both these woman come together.

The book is remarkable. A lot of women will be able to relate. I was up and down through the book as I too struggled with infertility lossing 2 babies and then nothing. I was so depr
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Emily
Jan 20, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adoption
A truly touching story of the intersecting of lives for the better.
Christy
Jan 24, 2012 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: page-turner
Delivering Hope by Jennifer Ann Holt
What an inspiring book this is! I loved reading it.
Olivia and Michael are unable to have children. Through years of waiting, anticipation, hope and prayer, the fertility doctors finally tell them there is no chance of them getting pregnant. Olivia has a difficult time accepting this path until she reads her Great Aunt Elizabeth’s journal and finds that this grand lady walked the same road with honor and dignity, giving love and service throughout her life.
All
Teresa
Apr 13, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction
This book was very true-to-life. It's one of the best fiction books I've read about adoption. Although every woman dealing with infertility has a unique story, I think that many of the feelings they experience are universal, and the author does a great job capturing the emotional turmoil of the adoptive mom. The birth mom's perspective also seemed realistic. I would recommend this for anyone who wants to adopt, who has adopted, or who would like to better understand those who suffer from inferti ...more
Christina Tarbet
Mar 01, 2012 Christina Tarbet rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. As a mom my heart broke for the women characters: Olivia, Allison, and Allison's mom. I found myself crying during different parts of the book. It is a good book about forgiving yourself, consequences for our actions, following the spirit, and love. Allison grew tremendously throughout the book and learned important lessons in life. The most important being that the Lord knows who she is and loves her. Good read!!!
Suzette
Oct 15, 2012 Suzette rated it it was amazing
Cried my way through this one. Liked that it showed both points of view and the characters feelings were real.... not made out to be saints, but genuine.
Leslie L
Mar 02, 2012 Leslie L rated it really liked it
A great piece of LDS fiction. You really get an understanding of both sides of the adoption process.
Darla
May 01, 2012 Darla rated it really liked it
(Genre:LDS fiction) This book is told from two view points. Olivia and Michael, a married couple and Allison, a new high school graduate looking forward to college. Olivia and Michael have spent years trying to conceive and have a family and it has taken a toll on both of them and their relationship. When they receive particularly discouraging news about Olivia's ability to get pregnant, Michael wonders if he will ever again see the happy girl he married. Olivia is bitter and angry towards him, ...more
Shanda
Author Jennifer Holt draws on personal experience to add emotion and perspective to both sides of the adoption process in her debut novel, Delivering Hope. The first section of the book pulls the reader into the anticipation and then ultimate heartbreak of Olivia, who wants more than anything to have a child, and her husband, Michael, who worries he is losing his happy, loving wife to the bitterness of infertility.

In the second section of the book we meet Allison, a good, intelligent LDS high sc
Sharlene
Mar 01, 2012 Sharlene rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, first-reads
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and was very excited to tear it out of the envelope and start reading it.

I was a little taken back with some of the religious wording used in the Latter-Day Saints religion that was used in this novel. I am Christian but found it distracting at times not understanding the religion, as another LSD member would. I was lost for a few pages wondering how a Sister or a Brother could have children. I had visions of two people who had pledged their celibacy to Go
Jenn
Shauna
Nov 28, 2012 Shauna rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up on a Saturday morning and spent the entire day wrapped up in its story. I felt embraced by the amount of love conveyed in this book...I couldn't put it down...until it was finished!
I LOVE how Wesley D. Hutchins, Esq, stated in the front of the book "Somewhere in the world a pregnancy test is negative...and a woman weeps. Somewhere else in the world a pregnancy test is positive...and another woman weeps."
I was AMAZED at the feelings that infertility can cause both in the hus
Kim
Sep 21, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. While I am not infertile, I am an adoptive mother and also an adoption professional at LDS Family Services, and I felt the emotions on both the adoptive parents' side and the birth parents' side were captured SO well. I really think I am going to recommend this book to some of the adoptive couples that I work with for two reasons, 1) to help normalize the emotions and hurt they feel regarding their infertility and 2) to help them understand the perspectives of birth mot ...more
Kristen
Jul 18, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it
This is a novel that every mother and daughter should read. Though the characters are fictional, the scenarios and feelings are real and complex. Olivia and Michael can't conceive. Allison has made a mistake and is pregnant with no hope of marriage. Their lives intersect and through the hope of the Atonement and the beauty of adoption, their lives begin to heal. The novel is a good look at the adoption program at LDS Family services and takes the reader through just about every stage of the proc ...more
Alicia
Mar 21, 2012 Alicia rated it it was amazing
This is a book about a couple's struggle with infertility and a young woman who is pregnant and unwed and eventually decides that adoption is the best thing for the child. Many of the feelings that the author talked about I have felt and struggled with as well. As I read the young woman's perspective, I thought a lot about my son's sweet birth mom and knew that she had a lot of the same emotions and feelings. It was a sweet story and one that made me emotional, mainly because it brought back mem ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)

LDS fiction

I'm pretty sure that most everyone can find something to relate to in this book whether you have had the struggles of becoming pregnant or the struggles of adoption. If we haven't dealt with it personally, we know someone who has. This book was filled with emotion. One thing I will walk away remembering is that people don't give their babies up, they give them better.

I also love the word hope. It's my daughter's middle name and I think, one of the best words with the best mea
Teresa
Nov 21, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it
This is a fictional story that brings two separate stories into one--a young married couple who want nothing more than to be parents, and a recent high school graduate who discovers she's pregnant.
There were parts of the book that I felt were a little bit cheesy, but I still gave it four stars because I think it offers some poignant insights into what the characters of the story were experiencing, and those who experience these same challenges in life.
My favorite paragraph is at the very end of
Rhonda
Feb 13, 2014 Rhonda rated it it was amazing

5 STARS

Need lots of tissue. I cried sad, happy, joyful, compassion and grateful tears. This story touched me in so many different ways. These have not been my trials, but know a lot of people that have or had to deal with these issues.

These characters felt so real to me. Boy did I go on a rollercoaster ride reading this book. I hope I am not the neighbor that says the wrong thing to someone and brings more pain to their table. Or that I am not the one that keeps someone away from church for a hu
Heidi
Oct 17, 2012 Heidi rated it liked it
A cute neighbor of mine loaned me this book. Honestly I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. It's LDS fiction, which I generally do not enjoy. But aside from a few places that drove me a little nuts, I liked the story.

I felt the descriptions of emotions surrounding infertility, especially in a very family-oriented culture, were extremely accurate. If you have a loved one struggling with infertility, reading this could help you better understand her point of view.
Laura Keels
Dec 03, 2013 Laura Keels rated it really liked it
This book was very unique in that it did have a very spiritual or religious theme through out the entire book. I really did like how the book was told from different views of Allison and Olivia. I thought this was very unique and also the author was able to show the relationships with the main characters and how pregnancy and infertility affects the most important relationships and how much a mother, birth or adoptive is willing to endure for her child.
Meka
Feb 07, 2013 Meka rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! The author does an amazing job describing the pain of infertility and the miracle of adoption! It was so validating! I also really appreciated all of the references to the healing power of the atonement, I feel like I have come one step closer to healing after reading this book. And as a side note, I love that baby Hope was born on Valentines day, the same day my daughter (who was also adopted) was born!
Sally
Oct 13, 2012 Sally rated it really liked it
This is one of the few books you just pick up at random & find a great read. It caught my eye at the library last night on the new book shelf & I started it right away because it was a 14 day checkout. I found myself having a hard time putting it down. And this is the second book I picked up this year by chance written by an author from my area. Kinda cool - great read - great message !
Angela
Jan 14, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
I loved the thorough backstories for each character and how well they endured each trial. They were like real people and their problems are so easily applied to too many. Sometimes the dialogue sounded rehearsed or like the speakers were giving a speech, but in addition to a story, the author is also teaching a powerful message, so I found it very appropriate.
Stephanie
Apr 05, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. But I could also relate to everything in this book. It was like I was the characters going through all the events. I relived every emotion and heartache and joy in these words. If you want to have some understanding of infertility, teenage pregnancy, and adoption, this is the book to read. Prepare to have plety of tissues.
Charity
Sep 30, 2012 Charity rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Although I have not had to travel through the same trials the two women of this fictional novel did, I completely related with many of the feelings, emotions, and questions that are raised. A really thought provoking, soul searching book when it comes to thinking about trials and our feelings toward God when we are going through them.
Kathryn
Jul 06, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
An amazing story filled with the emotions that come with adoption placements of birth mothers and adoptive parents hardships as they discover infertility. I loved the authors true story in the authors notes and her journey to become a family with her husband and three children. Great book for women to read, even pregnant teens.
Lanette
Apr 29, 2013 Lanette rated it really liked it
This book is great for any LDS women who have been touched by adoption. I cried the entire time I read it. It was a bit cheesy at parts, but it is a perfect read on the ache of infertility and the joys and aches of adoption, and letting the atonement heal us in our trials and struggles.
  • A Blind Eye
  • The End Begins: Sudden Darkness
  • Finding Faith
  • Wings of Hope
  • Espionage
  • Paige (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • Passage on the Titanic
  • Emerald City
  • Shadowed
  • Demons (Seers, #2)
  • My Loving Vigil Keeping
  • The Orchard
  • The Art of Baking with Natural Yeast: Breads, Pancakes, Waffles, Cinnamon Rolls and Muffins