Start by marking “Tigana” as Want to Read:
Tigana

Guy Gavriel Kay

Tigana

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  32,835 Ratings  ·  1,900 Reviews
Tigana is the magical story of a beleaguered country struggling to be free. It is the tale of a people so cursed by the dark sorceries of the tyrant king Brandlin that even the very name of their once beautiful home cannot be spoken or remembered. But years after their homeland’s devastation, a handful of men and women set in motion a dangerous crusade—to overthrow their c ...more
Published (first published 1990)

Catie
While reading this book over the past month, I thought a lot about the differences between youth and adulthood, between young beliefs and mature ones. And I think that maybe our youth is the only time that we can hold simple, firm convictions. Maybe it’s the only time that it’s possible to believe completely that love will conquer all, or that there are good guys and bad guys, or that if we try hard enough, we can achieve anything we dream about. In our youth, we can say things like, “I would ne ...more
Markus
Springtime morning in Avalle
I don’t care that the priests say:
I’m going down to the river today
On a springtime morning in Avalle.

When I’m all grown up, come what may
I’ll build a boat to carry me away
And the river will take it to Tigana Bay
And the sea even further away from Avalle

But wherever I wander, by night or by day
Where water runs swiftly or high trees sway,
My heart will carry me back and away
To a dream of the towers of Avalle

Twenty years ago, the nine quarrelling city-states of the Penins
Pietro
Aug 09, 2012 Pietro rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book, but I'm an oddity; in fact, virtually every other human being seems to love it unconditionally. So if you stumble upon it, give it a try, chances are you'll find it awesome.

So.. what didn't I like about it?
Well, pretty much everything.
This book, in short, tells about the vengeful crusade of a group of refugees from the once-great city of Tigana, destroyed years before by the mage Brandin.
Cool, uh?
Nope.
For starters, nobody cares about the destruction of Tigana.
In fact, the pro
mark monday
oh Tigana! 20 years ago, the warring lands of the peninsula known as The Palm were invaded and conquered by two opposing Tyrants, and split into two. during this time of war and magic, one land was punished, transformed, forgotten.

20 years later, a band of men and women fight to reclaim that land, its history, their memories. oh Tigana!

SPOILERS FOLLOW

memories of a distant life can be a strange and beautiful and sorrowful thing. i can remember places, scenes, people in the land where i was born,
Brad
Mar 25, 2008 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The greatest strength of Tigana -- Guy Gavriel Kay's masterpiece -- is the "ambiguity" of his characters' ethics. Fantasy, as a genre, suffers from the widespread simplicity of its expressions of good and evil. Kay consistently transcends this genre weakness, and Tigana marks his first and greatest break with the good vs. evil tradition. Tigana is full of characters who struggle with their decisions and the impact those decisions have on others.

Alessan, the "hero" of the piece, enslaves a wizar
Tamara
This is a review with pictures in it. I see people doing this, and I want to as well. I can haz cats also, yes?

Yes, I am jealous. I want to be one of the cool kids.

Anyway, this ye old secondary world fantasy, with maps and kingdoms princes and things and everything.

I want to go on a quest too!

No, not like that, silly. It is Deep and Melancholy and Meaningful. Like this:
Swoon with Horse

Do you SEE? It is FUZZY and PASTEL COLORED and there is BOOBS. That means it is PROFOUND.

Women in this book are not marginalized onto these pedestals replete with bizzaro stupid sexualization for no discern
Ivan
May 25, 2014 Ivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's been long time since I read standalone fantasy book.

So far I mostly avoided Kay for no particular reason and I came into possession of this book almost by accident. What a happy accident it was as this turned out to be wonderful and pretty unique book.

I already encountered combination of heroic fantasy characters in grimdark setting from another Canadian author, Steven Erikson, but Kay does it with his own unique flavor.

World building in this book is just wonderful.Without too detailed desc
Jaya *The Velocireader*
3.85-this-book-is-epic-believe-all-the-hype-stars
Tigana is a book that will put you through all the emotions that exist. I am seriously exhausted (in a good way). Reading this book was a great experience. Some of the best characters that I have read in a long time. The story build-up is awesome, to epic proportions. By the time the book reached its climax I was all clammy-palmed-stuttering-heart-hanging-from-the-edge-of-my-seat no,fingernails not bitten to stubbs at all.
BUT

Something fell a no
Kaitlin
Mar 01, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this book a 4* rating despite not being sure until the very last chapter about if it would be a 3*s or 3.5*s or 4*s. I was pretty sure by the time I finished up the book that it was a solid 3*s but I then read the author's afterword and he states all of his influences and what he wanted to achieve with the book and I decided that this had to be a 4* book because I totally understood where he was coming from and it really resonated true with me.

This book certainly feels a lot more hist
Siria
I really liked the ideas behind this story—the power of names in the face of colonialism, in the face of enforced forgetfulness—but there was just too much in the writing that worked against my enjoyment of it. Kay's style has improved from what it was in the Fionavar series, but it's still clunky and laboured (and desperately in need of some commas), while the world-building is pedestrian and two-dimensional. Many of the better-drawn characters are unengaging, and most of the cast are such clic ...more
David Sven
May 18, 2012 David Sven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favourites
Reading Tigana was like sipping liquid chocolate. Exquisite! I found myself many times deeply and profoundly moved. Kay was able to communicate the profound sense of loss felt by a dispossessed people and without the aid of music or even lyrics bring the music within the book alive to touch the imagination. I felt the mournful tones of the pipes, and the heart wrenching voice of Devin as he sings.

Kay makes us imagine what it would be like if the memory of your home is removed not only from your
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is the first book by Kay I've ever read, and one of only three books on my shelves signed by the author (one of only two signed specifically to me, and the only one I actually got myself). Its size is daunting if you're not a regular fantasy reader, but it's a stand-alone novel and would be disappointing if it were any shorter.

Tigana is about a great many things, but the central plot and theme of the novel is the subjugation of the people of the Peninsular of the Palm (modelled after Italy
Kelly
May 23, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of fantasy, lovers of myth. This rises above the fantasy genre, without question.
It says that I read this back in January 2000. It would be more accurate to say that I've read this book since January 2000. I've read this book no less than ten times. I own the 10th Anniversary Edition as well now, because I expect my first one to fall apart very soon. It's lost at least one cover being passed around among all my friends throughout high school.

One day I will write a real review of this! Just can't put my thoughts together yet.
Allison
I first heard about Guy Gavriel Kay shortly after joining Goodreads, and have just finally managed to get around to reading my first book. It won't be the last!

Tigana was a wonderful reading experience. Complex, nuanced characters captured my heart and I hoped against hope that everyone could somehow be saved in the end. It was beautiful and tragic, full of loss, hope and redemption. I wanted to spend more time in the aftermath and follow them all home. It finished too soon.
Mike
Mar 13, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
This story is, at its essence, about how the past influences the present. The protagonists are driven to reclaim their homeland not just from a conquering army, but from a magical spell that prevents others from remembering or even hearing their homeland's name, Tigana. Within a generation any knowledge of their land, its history and culture will be forever lost.

Instead of a fast paced, sword and sorcery story, Tigana is rather reflective. There are several POV characters that spend a good deal
Duchess Nicole
Nov 28, 2012 Duchess Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hard core epic fantasy fans

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Don't let my 3.5 rating fool you...this book was written by an amazing storyteller. It's a book that I can't possibly do justice in a review, and I encourage you to read some of the other reviews written by those who are more eloquent with wor
Becky
This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for *coughcough* six years. And then, wouldn't you know it, but I don't even read it, but instead download an audiobook. Because knitting. (I do that a lot, actually.)

This is my second GGK novel, and I liked this one quite a bit more than I liked the first one, though apparently that makes me a heathen or something. I DID like The Lions of Al-Rassan, but I just didn't love it. Jeez! I'm not sure that I necessarily loved this one either, but it spoke to
Eilonwy

The Peninsula of the Palm is a place divided -- but not against itself. Its nine provinces are occupied territory, under the power of foreign wizards. Brandin of Ygrath holds the east, while Alberico of Barbadior holds the west. Each state has been allowed to maintain its identity -- except for one, cursed to oblivion.

But a few people remember. They are determined to get their home back; and to free the entire Palm in the process.
Before I can say anything else, I have to gush about the writing
Mpauli
Tigana offers a story about memory. How important is it to remember the past and how dangerous is it to overdo it?
This also relates to the question of freedom. Is freedom really the ultimate goal. Is it worth every sacrifice, or is there are line where the price becomes too high.

Guy Gavriel Kay asks this questions enveloped in a beautiful gown of lyrical prose and mythical tale. Most prominently featured are the young musician Devin and Dianora, a courtesan of the powerful wizard-king Brandin.
Th
Richard
Apr 25, 2009 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Richard by: SciFi & Fantasy Group 2009-05 Fantasy Selection
This was the Fantasy selection for the Goodreads SciFi and Fantasy Book Club for the month of May 2009. Visit this link to see all of the discusions, group member reviews, etc.

If Goodreads had half-stars, I would have dropped this to only 4-1/2, but more on that below.

Tigana is among the handful of fantasy novels that can make me wonder whether Tolkien is as good as I remember him, or as good as his reputation. It has been many years since I read Lord of the Rings, and I almost never re-read boo
Chris
Apr 20, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, and Mario Puzo. With a little Tolkien thrown in.
I really can't decide whether to rate this a 4 or 5 star, but I'll go with 5. There is more that I like about this book than dislike.

Overall, I love the story. It is quite the epic, and it seems a waste of great worldbuilding to contain it to one volume. On the other hand, it is good to see such a marvelous work that stands on its own, without a dozen sequels, prequels, and hard to find novellas. In fantasy, that is a rare treat.

Still, this is a world I'd like to visit again someday. The story i
Hanne
Oct 28, 2012 Hanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of Tigana is one of the most interesting backbones for a fantasy story I’ve seen in a while: The Palm is being invaded by two competing foreign magicians, one of them is Brandin, better known as ‘The Tyrant’. The province of Tigana holds out for a long time, winning a big battle to keep their independence, and killing Brandin's favourite son in the process. Burning with rage Brandin takes charge of the war himself and ends it in a dramatic way: the province is under his control, the ...more
Dacko
Apr 16, 2017 Dacko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ponovo je čitam i ponovo mi se sviđa kao prvi put, ne smeta mi ni višak patetike ni to što nemam miljenika među likovima, dosta mi je to što se u nizu uzbudljivih i detaljno oslikanih avantura trude da vrate u pamćenje ljudi ime jedne zemlje koje je ljutiti čarobnjak kletvom želeo da zanavek zatre. Skroz padam na te rodoljubive fore koje su izgleda samo još u fantastici dopuštene, mada se grimdarkovci trude da ih i odatle proteraju.
Rob
Executive Summary: An enjoyable stand-alone fantasy book that is a little uneven in places but really brings shades of gray to the characters and the story.

Audio book: Simon Vance seems like the perfect reader for this book. I first encountered him as part of the great ensemble readers for Dune. I don't recall any particular voices of note, however. He does do Scottish accents for folks from "The Highlands". Overall I think he does an excellent job that is a good fit for the tone of the story.

F
Scribble Orca
Ahh.

(That was meant to be a pain-filled gasp.)

I lost interest. Yes, I have attention-deficit syndrome. I'm also a dreadful pragmatist insisting on information (information!) spoon-filled into my needs-facts-for-fuel brain (there's a review somewhere by Greg about this despicable phenomenon and eventually I will hyperlink it).

Perhaps Mr Kay's editor was on holiday. I drowned in a sea of 'ly'. Continually. This was genre-bender of the gratuitous-sex-as-the-McGuffin-when-magic-fails kind. And in ca
M.
Apr 18, 2013 M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What more can be said other than everyone should read it. At least once. You won't be disappointed. Kay is a great prose writer. It doesn't even matter if fantasy isn't your thing because this book does not read like fantasy. It reads like the sort of well-written historical fiction that weaves in myths to tell the tales of a lost time. A personal favorite combination, I must admit. Also, I'm coming off of a dramatic final battle/confrontation scene... so this is a hugely biased review.

Review mo
Lisa
May 21, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Review from TenaciousReader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2015/0...

If you have not read anything by Guy Gavriel Kay, I really encourage you to. His prose is beautiful without being flowery or ostentatious. It just flows and and leaves both wonderful images and reflections in its wake. And to make the deal even sweeter, the audiobook is narrated by Simon Vance. If you haven’t listened to a book narrated by Simon Vance, your life is just not as fulfilled as it could be! His voice is jus
Anirudh
Nov 01, 2013 Anirudh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anirudh by: Manju
Shelves: fantasy
Before reading Tigana, it was inconceivable for me to picture a stand alone fantasy book without any intention or hope of a series. I often wondered how it would be possible to create a whole new world in just one book and give it a satisfactory ending. When I read this book, I finally understood.

Tigana is not a book. It is a journey. A journey through the lives of men and their emotions. A journey of wonder, a journey of pain and a journey of understanding. Rarely do you come across a book as
Alex Ristea
May 19, 2012 Alex Ristea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shoot, I'm writing this review way too late.

Tigana deserved all the five stars I gave it, and then some.

The writing was fantastic and intricate, I immediately fell for the characters, and the world-building was detailed but presented well. (If you know how much I hate info-dumps, and how often it happens in fantasy, then you'll appreciate when a book does it well.)

My most favourite part about this book was how it toyed with my perceptions of characters. We read one point-of-view and think this
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Tigana 23 61 Jul 20, 2017 11:00AM
Play Book Tag: Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay - 4 stars 2 14 May 06, 2016 10:25AM
Bibliophiles of L...: November - Tigana 3 12 Dec 04, 2015 09:04PM
  • The Curse of Chalion (World of the Five Gods, #1)
  • Illusion
  • A Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, #1)
  • Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1)
  • Miserere: An Autumn Tale
  • Heroes Die (The Acts of Caine, #1)
  • The Shadowed Sun (Dreamblood, #2)
  • The Year of Our War (Fourlands, #1)
  • The Darkness That Comes Before (The Prince of Nothing, #1)
  • The Folding Knife
  • The Scar
  • Riddle-Master (Riddle-Master, #1-3)
  • Blackdog
  • In the Cities of Coin and Spice (The Orphan's Tales, #2)
  • Shadow & Claw (The Book of the New Sun #1-2)
  • Throne of the Crescent Moon (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #1)
  • Hawkwood and the Kings (Monarchies of God, #1-2)
  • The Element of Fire (Ile-Rien, #1)
Guy Gavriel Kay is a Canadian author of fantasy fiction. Many of his novels are set in fictional realms that resemble real places during real historical periods, such as Constantinople during the reign of Justinian I or Spain during the time of El Cid. Those works are published and marketed as historical fantasy, though the author himself has expressed a preference to shy away from genre categoriz ...more
More about Guy Gavriel Kay...

“There are no wrong turnings. Only paths we had not known we were meant to walk.” 2057 likes
“In this world, where we find ourselves, we need compassion more than anything, I think, or we are all alone.” 126 likes