Start by marking “The Animal Hour” as Want to Read:
The Animal Hour

The Animal Hour

Voices invade a young woman’s head, compelling her to kill

When Nancy Kincaid comes into work, an unfamiliar woman tells her to leave. This is Nancy Kincaid’s office, the woman says, but you are not Nancy Kincaid. As Nancy protests, her memory grows fuzzy and her reason seems to slip away. None of her workmates recognize her, and she is distracted by a voice in her head tha
Published (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Animal Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Animal Hour

Zoeytron
Who is Nancy Kincaid? Madwoman? Schizophrenic? Or just the really nice person she believes herself to be? Whoever she is, the voices in her head urging her to kill are driving her crazy. And why don't her colleagues and family recognize her? Oliver, a soulful washed up poet, is central to the story, as is his brother Zach, a struggling druggie.

The imagery concocted within these pages is electric. Hulking concrete pillars in the subway, lurking in the shadows, watching, waiting. Furry smiles, wa
Olethros
-A un pasito del éxito, pero podría ser un abismo.-

Género. Novela.

Lo que nos cuenta. En la mañana de Halloween, Nancy Kincaid no se encuentra muy bien pero va a trabajar, aunque en su oficina nadie la reconoce como Nancy Kincaid; comienza a vagar por la ciudad y descubre que tiene un revólver en el bolsillo. Oliver Perkins busca a su hermano, que ha desaparecido el día anterior, pero sus averiguaciones le llevan a cosas inesperadas. Zachary Perkins se despierta empapado en sangre y con la policí
Olga Kowalska (WielkiBuk)
Jul 22, 2016 Olga Kowalska (WielkiBuk) rated it really liked it
Ah! This was a sneaky one! It grabs your attention with its first chapter, then it makes you wonder what is going on, then it is getting pretty confusing, like nothing makes sense anymore, and finally... it turns out to be awesome! Every element of the puzzle finds its place and the final scenes reveal the whole image.
A great thriller indeed.
Gatorman
Jan 19, 2013 Gatorman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this book 3.5 stars if I could. An interesting thriller that leaves you confused for most of the book, sometimes to the point where it becomes an impediment to enjoying it. However, the last 30 or so pages tie up the whole story very nicely and explain the confusing parts quite satisfactorily. The fluid ending lifted the book from its shaky beginnings and made it a worthwhile read. Stick with the confusing parts and you'll be happy you did in the end. Recommended.
Mandy
Jan 14, 2009 Mandy rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite books. I remember when I read it I was just in awe and I couldn't put it down. I have read other books by Andrew Klaven but didn't care as much for them.
Leah
Oct 14, 2016 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Halloween in Manhattan. Everyone has their bad days, but for Nancy Kincaid, this will be the worst of her life. Arriving at her office, her colleagues insist they have never seen her before. The only clue she has is a voice that whispers someone will be murdered that night--by 8:00, the Animal Hour.

An opening that instantly draws you in by curiosity about the "what" and the "why" of the story and a breakneck pace kept me turning the pages. And while it's fun to be somewhat frustrated while readi
Ashley
Oct 29, 2016 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was not originally on my list of things I wanted to read, but it was out on display at my local library advertised as a "haunting fall read, perfect for halloween."

Having finished the novel I believe it was mis-shelved. I gave this two stars only because my initial expectations might have been off; judging by the books displayed by this one I was expecting more supernatural/horror elements within the story.

This story revolves around Nancy Kincaid and Oliver Perkins. Nancy Kincaid shows
John
Dec 29, 2011 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, suspense, 2-star, 2012
Overall this was a good book. I wasn't able to guess the plot turns ahead of time, and the action kept up through the end. It was definitely a fun read, and I would have given it 4 stars, except for a couple problems. First was the authors tendency to include a brief paragraph of relatively explicit sexuality periodically. The information conveyed in these cases could easily have been communicated without the sleeze, it was really quite jarring when it happened. The second problem was the charac ...more
Jonathan
Nov 07, 2011 Jonathan rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
This was to me, one of the worst book i've read, the book starts pretty good, you get into the story easily, all the details sounds just about right and the characters are quite "alive" if i can say, but when you get past the first half, it seems like the author somewhat lacked of imagination, a friend of mine recommended this to me saying it was a really great one, but i guess everyone have their own tastes, and to me, this was a very long and boring book. Or this could be me having high expect ...more
Kent
Feb 08, 2010 Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brief review - typical Klavan - tight suspense - tight timeframe (everything happens in less than 24 hours) - in fact it feels like the TV show "24" with each chapter describing what one of the characters is doing simultaneously with the others.

a little more violent, trying to be more like an old Stephen King novel. not his best, not his worst.
Tracey
Oct 11, 2013 Tracey rated it it was amazing
This was the second Klavan book l've read. lt caught me on the first page and did not let go. So suspenseful, l tried to read faster so l could find out what and why!
Jinnybaby
Aug 17, 2012 Jinnybaby rated it it was amazing
I loved the story . . . t'was exhilirating with all the twists and turns. unpredictable and exciting too bad I can't find a copy
Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance]
Sep 25, 2011 Ruby Tombstone [With A Vengeance] marked it as unread-but-acquired
I was thinking I might enjoy this. Then I saw the author's blog. Can I actually read a book by an apparent right-wing lunatic.... and like it?
Susan Rowe
Sep 03, 2012 Susan Rowe rated it it was amazing
I could not put this one down! Read it years ago but still remember so much about it. I dare you to try to figure it out. Klaven is a master!
Medeia Sharif
Medeia Sharif rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2009
Benny
Benny rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
Nehap6
Nehap6 rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2012
Nick
Nick rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2013
Sammy
Sammy rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2008
Javier Ventura
Javier Ventura rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2016
Camilla
Camilla rated it did not like it
Dec 09, 2009
Carlo
Carlo rated it really liked it
May 07, 2012
Vin Landicho
Vin Landicho rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Briana Zakszeski
Briana Zakszeski rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Rayne Brogan
Rayne Brogan rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Emma Horwood
Emma Horwood rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2013
Iain McGregor
Iain McGregor rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2010
Septemtrionis
Septemtrionis rated it did not like it
May 28, 2012
Undreya
Undreya rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2012
  • J. S. Le Fanu's Ghostly Tales V1
  • Waking Beauty: A Novel
  • The Prescriber's Guide: Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology
  • Holy Writ as Oral Lit: The Bible as Folklore
  • Failing Test (The Shadow Series, #1)
  • Kaxian Duty (Dog Aliens, #1.5)
  • Semana Santa
  • The Last Goodbye
  • Task Force (Murder Most Gay, #2)
  • The Company
  • Elasticsearch: The Definitive Guide: A Distributed Real-Time Search and Analytics Engine
  • The Sound of Murder
  • Death in the Headlights (Kyle Callahan Mystery, #4)
  • The Magic Bullet