Start by marking “Memórias de Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
Memórias de Sherlock Holmes
Preview

Memórias de Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #4)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  50,026 ratings  ·  909 reviews
«Algumas palavras bastarão para dizer o pouco que resta. Um exame feito por peritos deixa poucas dúvidas de que terminou uma luta pessoal entre dois homens, e dificilmente teria outro desfecho, ao andarem à roda, enredados nos braços um do outro, o criminoso mais perigoso do mundo, Moriarty, e o campeão da lei da sua geração, Sherlock Holmes.»

Sherlock Holmes é hoje um inve
Published 1997 by Publicações Europa-América (first published 1893)

To ask other readers questions about Memórias de Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Joanna I don't think you need to have read anything about Sherlock before. The stories are all clear without knowing any other books. Watson does make some…moreI don't think you need to have read anything about Sherlock before. The stories are all clear without knowing any other books. Watson does make some references to other cases, but you will understand everything without knowing these. Of course, it's a good idea to read "A study in scarlet" first, because it tells us how Sherlock and Watson met. But it's not a must.(less)

Terry
Another series of the adventures of Sherlock Holmes as reported by his faithful biographer Dr. Watson and it becomes clearer than ever that the real draw of these stories is the fascinating character of Holmes himself. The mysteries are secondary to the enjoyment, though many of them do prove to have distinct elements of interest (otherwise why would the great detective have bothered himself about them?), but it really is in observing the fascinating character of Holmes himself that the reader i ...more
K.D. Absolutely
Kelly
Feb 28, 2010 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Holmes fans
Come and see the Softer Side of Sherlock Holmes! The stories in this collection focus on the revelation that: "Sherlock Holmes! He's Just Like Us!" He makes mistakes! He judges too quickly! He was once young and went to school! He had friends! He has a brother (who is, as Sherlock readily admits, smarter than he is, just without his ambition)!

We (shockingly!) essentially find out that he is a human being. We see Sherlock has a family, and has interests other than things that have to do with his
Edward
--The Greek Interpreter
--The Naval Treaty
--The Final Problem
Vane
In 2010, we had to read for classes one of the Sherlock Holmes' books. My teacher gave us three options. Those options were The Hound of the Baskervilles, A Study in Scarlet and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. We had to vote for the one we considered the most interesting, and the winner was THotB. Since then, I made the promise to read the entire canon... but I did it with one purpose: To get to TMoSH. Do you know why? Because in this one Holmes was supposed to die, and also because Moriarty app ...more
Tfitoby
The Death of Holmes!

Whilst not the title of the story or the book containing it that is exactly what is included in this collection. But of course we all know better than that these days. We all know that Doyle was forced to write more Holmes stories against his wishes. Poor guy.

I think the dislike Doyle had for writing the Holmes stories is incredibly apparent with this collection. Some of the stories are dull and formulaic - ten pages of somebody telling Holmes about the case and ten pages of
Stefania T.

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra...Lettura.

Giungo in questi afosi ed estivi istanti al completamento della lettura di circa 1/2 del "Canone", termine che identifica l'intera e completa collezione dei romanzi e dei racconti che vedono protagonista l' "autentico" Sherlock Holmes, quello nato dalla penna di sir Arthur Conan Doyle (distinto da quello "apocrifo", generato dalla discutibile creatività di altri scrittori post-Conan Doyle).
Raggiunto questo piccolo traguardo, linea di demarcazione fra i c.
johanna d.m.
May 05, 2014 johanna d.m. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone and anyone.
Reichenbach Falls
Switzerland

To Whomever It May Concern,
After visiting the famed "Reichenbach Falls" yesterday, (an experience I was informed must not under any circumstances be missed - and I was not disappointed) I was most disturbed about the safety of the walks leading around the falls. The cliff is steep, and the drop a good way down. If one were to
fall, that person, I think, would no doubt come to a rather unfortunately nasty end. Since the path, also, as I noticed, is a slippery and trea
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
This isn't going to be a terribly in-depth review, because I think I might just review the series as a whole once I finish reading them all. I have a huge omnibus on all of them, so yeah. (It was free for Kindle for a while, but I think it may be gone now ... AHHH.)

Anyway, like all the Sherlock Holmes I've read, I enjoyed this one a lot. It didn't stick with me quite as much as the one before it (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes), but it was still enjoyable. And we got to meet some awesome new
Keith
Once again, ohmahgerd, I was straight-up-literally a different person when I started this book like 18 months ago. I carried it around for sooo LONG in the front pocket of my backpack, thinking it would be one of those books I could pull out and read one-mystery-at-a-time whenever I had downtime. But srsly kids? Downtime is for reading X-Men comics. A man's gotta commit to Sherlock Holmes.

So although I don't remember the first half of this book at all anymore, I'll say that I quite enjoyed the s
Diane Librarian
Another delightful collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. My favorites were Silver Blaze, The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter, The Adventure of the Naval Treaty and The Final Problem.

The Final Problem is famous because Arthur Conan Doyle wrote it to kill the character of Sherlock Holmes. Doyle was reportedly tired of the detective and wanted to be free to write other things. (However, fans of Sherlock were so upset that Doyle eventually relented and brought him back to life.)

I listened to t
Matt
Not nearly as exciting as the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Not many chases or anything. The most exciting story is probably the last one where he faces off with Moriarty. Once again these stories are fun, and I can see why kids would really like them, but vastly inferior to Agatha Christie.

I have a beef with Sherlock. I don't actually buy that most of Holmes logic would be correct. He makes an incredible observation, then extrapolates that and is never wrong (I think he has been wrong once in
Casey
One of the hallmarks of the Sherlock Holmes stories is that they are not actually told from Holmes' point of view. They are told by Dr. Watson in the form of newspaper stories which chronicle his friend's investigations. This is not odd in itself, except that Holmes often leaves Watson behind and hours later returns to recount the adventure's ending to him. This structure is never more fascinating than in the famous "The Final Problem," in which Holmes and Moriaty tumble over Reichenbach Falls. ...more
Mohammed
The first 4-5 stories i thought this collection was not as consistently great as The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes collection i read before it. What i liked in this collection that was different from that collection is that several of the stories dealt with how flawed Holmes was in his detection,cases. If he didnt have enough facts,evidence he wasnt a brilliant detective. If he wasnt quick the criminals might get away forever from the police,justice.

The best stories who made the collection strong
James
Another collection of Sherlock Holmes short stories, this time packaged as the memoirs of rather than the adventures of, but the format is the same: eleven stories from the archives of Dr. Watson. Some are from Holmes's early days, some from when Holmes and Watson were besties and some from after Watson had married and moved out. There are some innovations too however.

Firstly, we find out in The Greek Interpreter, that Holmes has a brother – Mycroft – who turns out to be much more corpulent than
Alayne
No sé bien qué se podría decir de esto. Es casi como Las Aventuras, sólo que los casos son un poco más entretenidos y complejos en mi opinión, y me atraparon a pesar de haberme dado cuenta de que muchos los recordaba a medias de la serie que veía antes con mis papás.
No lo leí de corrido como el anterior, sino que dejé los casos sueltos, para leer uno un día, dos otro y así.
Nunca se me hizo pesado y ni bien consiga el que sigue, lo leo, pero ahora pienso seguir con otras cosas.
¡Conan Doyle era
Irene
Likes:

• Novellerne i denne samling var virkelig gode; de var mere forskellige end i den foregående bog, og der var langt flere af dem, som jeg stadig kan huske nu et par dage efter endt læsning.

• Jeg fornemmede, at der var skruet lidt op for det dystre, og at disse noveller var noget mere mørke end i Sherlock Holmes’ eventyr. Det kunne jeg ret godt lide.

• Jeg har sagt det ved bog 1, 2, 3 og 5, og jeg siger det igen: Noteapparatet i disse bøger er helt igennem fantastisk! Normalt læser jeg ikke n
Casey
Overall, the collection is weak, but there a few interesting cases. Many of the stories involve a character coming to see Holmes and Waston, recounting the tale, and then the case is solved in about 3 pages. It is still fun to read the deductive reasoning.

Considering how much things have changed since these stories were written, it is very difficult for me to deduce some of the information. Makes it all the more challenging if you don't know your history.

The last four stories, The Resident Pati
Anushree
I hadn't expected to get teary-eyed while reading Holmes, ever, but i found myself wiping tears as i read the following lines:

"As I turned away, I saw Holmes, with his back against a rock and his arms folded, gazing down at the rush of the waters. It was the last that I was ever destined to see of him in this world."

The faithful Watson writes these as he walks away from Holmes, leaving him alone at the Reichenbach Falls to meet his apparent death along with Professor Moriarty, Holmes' arch-enemy
Pink
Another Holmes, another hit? Yep it was for me. I found myself liking this collection of stories more and more the further along I read. Yes there's a formula to each of them, yes you can usually see what's coming a mile off, that or it's completely implausible. Yet, there is something about Sherlock that is captivating. Is it the writing, the relationship with Watson, the whodunnit? I'm not sure exactly, but I'll quote George Orwell on the matter of Holmes in his essay entitled 'Good Bad Books' ...more
Tamra
Jan 04, 2012 Tamra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I love Sherlock Holmes and own The Complete Sherlock Holmes. I keep a bookmark that tells me how many of the 1,122 pages I've read, and after finishing Memoirs, I'm almost halfway through.

This time I was inspired to read Memoirs after watching Sherlock 2 in the theaters with my husband and him asking me things like, "Did he really fall like that in the book?" and "Was his archenemy really named Moriarty?" (Answers: Sort of yes, and yes.)

Holmes gets better the older I get. The great thing about S
Ana Luisa
I'm currently rereading this book and will be adding reviews for each short story as I read them

Silver Blaze - 4/5 stars
This short story centres around the disappearance of the favourite horse to win the Wessex Cup, Silver Blaze, and the death of his trainer, John Straker. After days and the police's inability to find the horse and the culprit, Holmes is called to investigate.
The plot and the mystery were very well-designed to show Holmes's full capacities as a detective, and proved his saying:
Ferdy
A fairly entertaining bunch of mysteries - even though some were rather predictable they still managed to be quite enjoyable. I liked Moriarty's story best of all, it was different than all the other formulaic cases Sherlock dealt with.
Mark Nenadov
It's been so very long since I've jumped into the Sherlock Holmes stories and this foray has been so very delightful. It reminds me that deep down, missing detection and deductive reasoning skills notwithstanding, I'm a devoted Sherlockian.

These stories are top notch, showing Holmes in his finest form. And they never grow old. A. C. Doyle's genius is behind every stroke. It's also heaping brilliance upon brilliance to have both Mycroft Holmes (Sherlock's brother) and Moriatry (Sherlock's reptili
DC
In this book, we learn a little more about Sherlock Holmes: some particulars on his first case, a few glimpses on his college days, and his filial relations. (Let's not forget that this volume presents us with the introduction of an opponent worthy of his intellectual prowess: Professor Mortiary.) The stories seem rather subdued to me, but are no less singular and interesting as Doyle's other writings of the famed detective.
Amrit Sinha
It’s remarkable how fiction can seem more real than reality, how a character conceived in a few words can live on beyond the pages, assuming a larger than life form, walking, sitting, and talking with you, his singular skills in finding solutions to problems that seem tricky initially, but once he deduces them and provides his reasonings, you feel oh – that – was – so – simple. Sherlock Holmes isn't just a character created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Rather, he is the hero, the brilliance, and t ...more
Jane
My intro to Holmes and Watson came via a collection of short stories--I know The Speckled Band was one--that was the prize in a box of cereal or some such promotion, way back in my junior high days. And the images created in my mind then were so strong that no adaptation--not Cumberbatch, not Downey, Jr., not Elementary, not Basil Rathbone--changed them. Reading these stories now in an edition that includes the original Sidney Paget illustrations from Strand Magazine is a delight. One each morni ...more
John Yelverton
Arthur Conan Doyle strikes again with another fantastic addition to the Sherlock Holmes mystery book series.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 04, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sherlock Holmes Fans
This is the second set of Sherlock Holmes short stories, eleven in all, that appeared in the Strand magazine and collected in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. I fell in love with the Holmes stories from the first I read for high school--"The Speckled Band" which appears in the first set of shorts, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Pretty much all my favorite Holmes shorts appear in that first volume, but a lot of these are memorable for one reason or the other.

In terms of being great puzzle pie
Phil
Like many short story collection that deal with similar themes and characters, it eventually gets hard to distinguish one Holmes tale from another - so a Sherlock Holmes reading marathon probably isn't the ideal way of getting through the works - however, that's what I'm halfway through.

Having said that, I think that for me this is the best Holmes book so far. The writing is noticeably better than in the previous novels and collection - the phrasing is more assured and the description more colou
Different versions of the collection 2 28 Jul 15, 2014 06:14AM
Catching up on Cl...: The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes #4 *SPOILERS* 2 6 Apr 05, 2014 04:55PM
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)
  • The Pale Horse
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #8)
  • Shadows Over Baker Street
  • Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7)
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Holmes
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Vol 2

“It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.” 782 likes
“Any truth is better than indefinite doubt.” 112 likes