Start by marking “Teewinot: Climbing and Contemplating the Teton Range” as Want to Read:
Teewinot: Climbing and Contemplating the Teton Range

Teewinot: Climbing and Contemplating the Teton Range

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Jack Turner grew up with an image of the Tetons engraved in his mind. As a young man, he climbed the peaks of this singular range with basic climbing gear and friends. Later in life, he led treks in India, Pakistan, Nepal, China, Tibet, and Peru, but he always returned to the mountains of his youth: the Tetons. Teewinot is his ode to forty years in the mountains that he lo ...more
Published November 10th 2001 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published June 8th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Teewinot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teewinot

Bryan Alexander
Teewinot is a gorgeous book, one to savor. It reminds the reader of how to better perceive the natural world. Jack Turner is an American mountain hermit in the classical Chinese style.

The book is structured to follow the author through most of a year in the Grand Tetons. This narrative describes what Jack Turner sees and does there, while arcing back into his memories and also exploring the natural history of the area.

What Turner sees and does involves lots of moving around the mountains. Teewi
Matt
May 04, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unlike Turner's book that I read a short while ago--Travels in Greater Yellowstone--this book stays more narrowly focused on the Grand Tetons, where he lives. It benefits from this in that his reflections and knowledge are more deeply grounded in a specific sense of place, though it lacks some of the environmental interconnections that were a key part of the reason for the broader reach of the other book. The book circulates around three types of narratives: story of climbs in the Tetons, which ...more
Diana
Jan 20, 2010 Diana rated it really liked it
I read this book in preparation for a trip out to the Tetons along with climbing school and trekking with Exum guides. It had been a long time since I had read any kind of "sense of place" book and at first I thought it was a little pretentious, but I think Walden comes across that way at first as well (and I still love it). No doubt about it, Jack Turner is opinionated, and I agreed with him about 75% of the time, so I thought it was fun that he didn't hold back (he might, however, piss off tho ...more
Patrick Dean
Nov 05, 2014 Patrick Dean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the perfect reread after Gary Snyder's "The Practice of the Wild." Turner is a decades-long Tetons climbing guide as well as philosophy professor. He knows Chinese mountain Zen poetry as well as he knows the natural and human history of Grand Teton National Park.

This composite view of a year in the Tetons makes vivid Turner's life and the range he considers his home. Non-climbers will appreciate this book for its literary mastery, as climbers will for its look inside a guide's life and
Reid
Mar 24, 2013 Reid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A wonderful introduction to the Tetons. Through his narration of a climbing guide's year in the mountains, Turner weaves in ecology, cultural history, geology, and lore of Grand Teton National Park. By far the most readable and enjoyable account of the Tetons that I've read so far.
Jeffrey St.
Jun 11, 2007 Jeffrey St. rated it it was amazing
Lessons in mountain climbing from a Zen master. Lesson in Zen from a master climber. All in the setting of America's most glorious and dangerous mountain range--the Grand Tetons. There's more to Jackson Hole than Dick Cheney.
Kerry
Aug 01, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read. Makes one want to hike the trails he hiked. Full of nature, stories about the park in winter, and fun characters. I highly recommend it. You will feel like you made a friend.
James
May 24, 2008 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a climber but I love the outdoors and hiking. Great book about the sport and its appeal. Partially explains why there are so few old climbers still around.
Nov 26, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reflective book that made me want to get back to the beautiful Tetons and hike and climb.
Matthew
Feb 25, 2008 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essays
Much like a contemporary 'Walden' set in the Tetons. A beautifully written book.
Margaret Peters
Jun 18, 2013 Margaret Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book every few years. Makes me feel like I'm there. Fabulous book!
Shane Cross
Aug 03, 2011 Shane Cross rated it really liked it
Made a trip to Valhalla due to this one.
Sasha
Sasha marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Scott Cooper
Scott Cooper is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2016
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Lupi07
Lupi07 marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Jesse Tiffen
Jesse Tiffen marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Lee Schott
Lee Schott rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Cecil Lawson
Cecil Lawson rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Jason Wolfe
Jason Wolfe marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Lance Barron
Lance Barron rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Wes
Wes rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Cody siegle
Cody siegle rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Sue Mills
Sue Mills rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2015