Start by marking “The Watchtower” as Want to Read:
The Watchtower

The Watchtower (The Watchtower #1)

His first day of work wasn't what Martin Cunningham expected. A sultry boss, a classy receptionist, the drama-queen foreigner, and a painfully shy techie who prefers hiding to human interaction, was the oddest group of characters he'd ever met. When an assassination attempt is made against his new boss, Martin comes face to face with the stuff of nightmares.

Now he and his
Published September 29th 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Watchtower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Watchtower

Rachel
Feb 25, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
The Watchtower is written by Darke Conteur and is published through Smashwords and Amazon. This is a six chapter, 27,732 word paranormal novella.

Darke Conteur is a stay at home mum who is at the mercy of her muse writing anything from the paranormal to science fiction. Darke lives with her husband, son, two cats, one kitten and a ghost dog. She runs her own blog where she aids other writers to be heard posting interviews and news from the writing world, as well as updates on her own work and hob
OpenBookSociety.com
Review brought to you by OBS staff member Annabell

I am a BIG lover of the fantasy and paranormal world. I always love when authors manage to mix both worlds together in unique and fun ways. The Watchtower is a novel that fits both worlds. There were aspects of the book I enjoyed and aspects I believe could use some work.

Annabell
Jul 23, 2012 Annabell rated it really liked it

The story opens right smack in the middle of intrigue and mysterious fantasy. As a reader, I was instantly drawn into the story through my eager curiosity. The characters come into the story cloaked in magic and strong personali
Heather
Jul 05, 2015 Heather rated it liked it
Plot/Story:
This was a strange story to be honest. I enjoyed it, though the writing felt a little flat at times. There is one character named Aslin, we learn his name fairly early in the story, yet Martin continues to refer to him as “the Scot.” Which, in all honesty became glaringly annoying.
That aside, I did find the story to be enjoyable for the most part and was anxious to see what happened next. There was not much character building and there is still much to learn about the characters of
Shelly Wygant
May 20, 2015 Shelly Wygant rated it really liked it
Step into The Watchtower and follow Martin through his first day on the job, and what a day it turns out to be. As he prepares to report to his boss he is given a package to take to her. It contains a deadly living thing that will set the tone for the whole day. He then meets his very strange co-workers. Everyone must work together to find out who sent the deadly creature to kill his boss.

Along the way Martin will discover mythical and magical things. Can he believe in all that he sees? There a
A.F.
Jul 22, 2012 A.F. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-books, own
I was pleasantly surprised reading The Watchtower by Darke Conteur. I expected a reasonably interesting fantasy novel, a short and quick, agreeable read. What I got was a highly crafted, delightfully intricate book, entangled in a dark and a fascinating fantasy world populated with captivating characters.

The book starts with the character of Martin Cunningham, who is looking for a job and getting a bit desperate. This job urgency is what brings him to Terin Global, a not-at-all typical place of
Jane Stockwell
Sep 27, 2016 Jane Stockwell rated it liked it
I found this one starting a little difficult to comprehend, and thinking "Oh God, where is this going to go?" Set in the real world, it crosses over into a portal of demonic Hell, with the protagonist Martin clambering to understand what was happening. It made sense for the reader to follow his perspective at this point.

There was excitement very early on, within the first 4 - 5 pages. From Martin's perspective, you had no idea what was going on, and didn't know who any of the characters were or
M. Pax
Oct 06, 2011 M. Pax rated it really liked it
The author piqued my curiosity in chapter one, then created an intriguing world with very interesting characters.
deb watson
Jun 23, 2017 deb watson rated it it was amazing
Laughs and a Good Read

Loved this book,though made me laugh out loud in some places it made my day,will be telling my friends who are into myths and magic as much as me,I think they will enjoy it to.
Maddalena
Mar 28, 2015 Maddalena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I received this novella from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

From the recap on the author's site:

His first day of work wasn’t what Martin Cunningham expected. A sultry boss, a classy receptionist, the drama-queen foreigner, and a painfully shy techie who prefers hiding to human interaction, was the oddest group of characters he’d ever met. When an assassination attempt is made against his new boss, Martin comes face to face with the stuff of nightmares.

This book feels like an introd
Amy
Mar 31, 2015 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Note: I was provided with a copy of this book for review

This short urban fantasy novella is filled with magic and magical beings, and an action filled story that throws you into the deep end from the early pages. The story is enjoyable and it is a wonderful concept but being a novella there is not a lot of room to expand and I would have loved more detail about these characters and their abilities. Having said that though, it is a nice quick introduction to each of them and the story acts like a
Ashley Tomlinson
Jun 24, 2015 Ashley Tomlinson rated it really liked it
This was just the book I needed to read. I've been in quite the reading slump lately and this was the perfect book to get me out of it. It was exciting, fast paced and funny. I loved every bit of it. At only 90 pages it packed a wallop of a punch.

Martin starts his first day as a public liaison officer for a company he knew nothing about. Things are strange and creepy from the moment he walks off the elevator. When a weird worm creature attacks one of his new coworkers, things get stranger. Mar
Bob Clarkson
Jul 09, 2015 Bob Clarkson rated it really liked it
The first day on the job is difficult for almost everyone, but Martin's first day was literally out of this world. His gorgous new boss is in fact half demon and half human. When in her demonic form, she is a large dragon.

Martin is the new Human Liason official, which he incorrectly mentally translates into a PR position.
The other assistant's are a Druid, an HTG spell casting Magician and a female human Psychic. It doesn't appear as though Martin has any special abilities, but he was Captain of
Marlene
Oct 07, 2011 Marlene rated it really liked it
This book is an exciting twist on the "good vs. evil" trope. The bad guys are awesomely evil, and the good guys are heart-warmingly good, but a word of advice: don't turn your back on them.

I hope you can tell I loved the characters. I'm glad this is a new series, because I really look forward to getting to know them better. There's Martin, our hero, who finds himself in over his head in a paranormal world he never knew existed. There's a druid and a time traveler, and a psychic. Oh, and if you'
Angela Dossett
Mar 23, 2014 Angela Dossett rated it it was amazing
Very unique characters and storyline!

This is about your average guy who applies for a job at a well established company. He thinks it is an interview, but he has the job as a Public Relations for the company. The story begins and ends with his first day on the job. He has to overcome many unusual obstacles and mythical/magical/supernatural creatures. This book definitely grabs your interest. I will be getting the next book in series to find out what happens next. I love this book and the concept
April Brown
Oct 28, 2011 April Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up.

Length? – A short evening read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Fantasy, alternate dimensions.

Written approximately? – 2010.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? No.

Short storyline: Martin, an average unemployed person needs a job. The job he lands in, shows him how to see what most people pass by, unable to recognize what
Jean Oram
Oct 22, 2011 Jean Oram rated it really liked it
A fun urban fantasy. Or is it paranormal?

Martin is a 'normal' dude desperate for work and ends up working for some very strange folks. Still reeling from his lack of interview he discovers that these strange folks aren't exactly 'normal' humans. And maybe not even human. And that his job as public relations manager might involve some very fast thinking, a few tales, and suspending all sorts of disbelief.

Quickly pulled into an adventure that opens his eyes to the underworld--quite literally--he h
John Hancock
Aug 22, 2014 John Hancock rated it it was amazing
Talk about your most bizarre first day of work ever, Martin walks into an interview and gets mired in mess of things you shouldn't have to deal with on your first day, let's say. Like walkers of the …. wait, I can't spoil it.

This is fun to read, well-written and takes you on quite an adventure. I think you'll like it. I did!
Joe Kenogbon
May 18, 2014 Joe Kenogbon rated it it was amazing

I really enjoyed reading this book. Great story. I was hooked right from the beginning, I couldn't put it down. Kept wanting more. I also liked the author's style. I highly recommend you download your copy of this book and enjoy a good read.
Rebecca
Jan 06, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Written nicely enough, but it doesn't feel like a stand-alone story, more like a prequel to a proper novel that will follow. So I was a bit disappointed as it did sound quite promising, but doesn't really deliver.
Flamingcrystal Flamingcrystal
I like the characters even if the protagonist was a bit naïve sometimes. Perhaps that is why he was targeted by all these demons, (I hate zombies eeuuww) zombies and a lot of other supernatural beings. The story is fast paced and I am looking forward to read more books by this author.
P.A.
Mar 12, 2013 P.A. rated it it was ok
This could have had a better rating if it was actually a novel. With some more work on character development this could be a good novel.
Krystol
May 17, 2012 Krystol rated it did not like it
If I could give this zero stars I would. It was short but the writing was terrible, the story was rushed and left you feeling like wtf just happened. I'll never recommend this book.
gnosticpomegranate
Mar 14, 2014 gnosticpomegranate rated it really liked it
Short, fast-paced paranormal about a guy having the world's most interesting first day at a new job.

Somewhat skimpy on character development but excellent descriptions and world-building.
Connie Taylor
Aug 29, 2013 Connie Taylor rated it did not like it
This was a very strange book from the beginning. Not my cup of tea and wouldn't read it again.
Alicia Huxtable
Jan 10, 2015 Alicia Huxtable rated it did not like it
Well, no. I hate that I am forced to give this book just 1 star. But the writing just didn't flow and the characters didn't have any character.
Kevin
Oct 24, 2016 Kevin rated it really liked it
Catchy.
New take on supernatural.
Lots left unrevealed.

But it works. First day at a new job ... and it is a doozy.

Still bringing a smile to my face ...
Stephanie Chadwick
Jan 05, 2016 Stephanie Chadwick rated it it was ok
The story wasn't bad, but the grammar was pretty atrocious, and the author needs a thesaurus. Glad it was free.
Nykki
Mar 12, 2013 Nykki rated it really liked it
Slow start, really picks up. Looking forward to reading the sequel
keith minor
May 24, 2015 keith minor rated it really liked it
Great

I think it's a great storyline and I have read it completely. I would recommend it to anyone who loves the paranormal. Great characters and the scenes are excellent.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
TeAmNeRd ReViEwS: Watchtower by Darke Conteur 1 2 Jul 24, 2012 09:25AM
  • Cursed by Darkness (Befallen Tides, #1)
  • Ménage à 20, Tales with a hook
  • On Dark Shores: The Lady
  • Magnus Opum
  • Eden-East (Eden, #4)
  • Tales from High Towers' Study (Thaumatology, #3.5)
  • Our Souls to Keep (Our Souls to Keep, #1)
  • The Circle Cast: The Lost Years of Morgan Le Fay
  • Fuel to the Fire (Fuel to the Fire, #1)
  • Dawn Of The Morningstar (Spellbound Trilogy, #3)
  • Hell Hounds Are For Suckers (Vampires of San Francisco, #2)
  • Deepwood (Karavans, #2)
  • Childe Morgan (The Childe Morgan #2)
  • Beautiful Red
  • Dead Man's Eye
  • Christmas Gift That Keeps Wagging
  • On the Matter of the Red Hand (Judicar's Oath #1)
  • Disgaea

The Watchtower (4 books)
  • Under The Cover of Wicca (The Watchtower, #2)
  • Of Covens and Packs (The Watchtower, #3)
  • Sympathy for the Demon (The Watchtower Series, #4)