Start by marking “Rats” as Want to Read:
Rats

Rats (Zone Unknown #4)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  17 reviews
From a Pulitzer-prize winning author comes another white-knuckle thriller forteens. When mutant rats threaten to take over Staten Island, which has becomea huge landfill, 14-year-old Sarah and her younger brother Mike try to figureout how to stop them.
Published August 1st 2000 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Rats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rats

Dan C.
Think of the things that would make a perfect book. Mutant rats? Check. Mutant MAN-EATING rats? Double check. Mutant man-eating rats headed from a dump on Staten Island towards Manhattan to feast on limitless flesh? Triple effing check. How could a book like this go wrong, especially when it's written by esteemed Pulitzer Prize winning young adult author Paul Zindel?

Let me count the ways.

As I alluded to, Rats is all about gigantic mutant man-eating rats that bred underneath a Staten Island dump
Samantha
I give up. I made it to page 98 and stopped. I could not read anymore. What I read was alright, and I imagine in middleschool I would have quite enjoyed it. The gore would have felt thrilling and forbidden and the fluffy writing would have gone undetected. As an adult I'm only left wondering how a book about GIANT RATS can be boring. The book feels almost like two individuals wrote it. There are these intensely violent death scenes interspersed with ineptly written segments with the children.

Alt
Krystl Louwagie
Rats-Paul Zindel (audio book)

This was an audio book gotten for cheap from a library book sale. I got it because I think rats are cool. I assumed it was a YA-ish book because the cover had drawn rats on it, and the two main characters were like 13 and 10. But this book was flippin' gory and extremely detailed about it! It's about a neighborhood that is situated near a garbage dump that contains bad chemicals that just keep getting covered over with tar mounds-there are a lot of rats that live at
ØrionSof2014
If you like a story with violence and gore this is your book. Rats is about two kids Sarah and Michael, their father works for the city dump and they have a rat named Surfer. Then comes the rats, the rats of the dumpsters are tired of being treated badly and getting killed by humans so they go out of the dumpsters and attack the humans.

I can really make a text to text connection to Sarah. In the book Sarah will do anything to protect her brother, also Sarah loves her family and will never tal
Conal Cochran
I never knew Paul Zindel as the Pulitzer Prize winning young adult author. Nope, I knew him as the author of a handful of creature features which packed the gore and excitement that most YA horror material lacked (*cough* Fear Street*cough*). The Doom Stone is easily my favorites--hell, I still think it holds up pretty well--but Rats is the only one that genuinely frightened me.

Sure, it came about twenty years late and on the wrong side of the Atlantic to join the critter attack party that James
Heesoo B.

thursday- 60 minutes
Friday- 60 minutes
Saturday- 90 minutes
Jose
If you like gory adventure stories Rats is your book. Paul Zindel gives delivers a hair-raising novel with a lot of suspense and excitement. When rats in town get infected it's up to Sarah and her brother to save the town from destruction. Will they succede or will it be too late? read to find out.
Glenn.smith94
I liked the book rats because i like how they discribe a death with out looking at a picture or real life. I dont want to mess up the book for others to read but it's like reading a horror movie. The book is about rats that live in a dump but dont just rat trash and scraps.
David
RATS is a 3rd person narrative that centers around Sarah and her brother Michael. The main conflict of the story is when rats living in the city dump is mutated (from gases) and wreaks havoc on the citizens of the city.
It is up to Sarah and her brother to stop the rats...
Megan
This book had the same thing happen every few chapters. I read it with my class and it was ok. It's story cloud have been better, if it didn't have the same thing happen every chapter. The ending was good though!
Braxton
A gory, scary mutant rodent apocalypse! I used to have a pet rat, now I might think twice before getting another one! The way zindel wrote Rats made vivid pictures in my head.
Jennifer Daniel
A gruesome teen read. I heard far more about rats chewing on human flesh than I ever wanted to. The pacing was good and this would appeal to a 12-15 year old boy.
Chiara
Sep 27, 2008 Chiara added it
this book was awsome! rats is a great book if u want trill if u want excitment....... but when u get a chance read it
Sara
This book was really graphic in the blood and gory. I don't recommend this book to those who have a weak stomach.
Jo
Can't recommend this because it gave me nightmares. If you like Steven King.... this is for you.
Kimberly
May 06, 2007 Kimberly marked it as to-read
On my list. I am rat phobic. I am drawn to this. But I've heard it was good.
Josie
too much detail in killing XP!!!
Jessica English
Jessica English marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Rea
Rea marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
I just finished Rats 1 2 Mar 20, 2012 04:58PM
  • The Copper Elephant
  • Tales of Terror and Detection
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2001
  • Associated Press Stylebook And Libel Manual
  • Slot Machine (Elvin, #1)
  • Ways of Reading: An Anthology for Writers
  • 40 Model Essays: A Portable Anthology
  • Signs of Life in the U.S.A.: Readings on Popular Culture for Writers
  • Shiny Adidas Tracksuits and the Death of Camp and Other Essays from Might Magazine
  • McSweeney's #11
  • Vegetable Love
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • The Pet
  • The Human Fly and Other Stories
  • Oddballs
  • Tao of Photography: Seeing Beyond Seeing
  • Tokyo Babylon, Vol. 06
  • Society: The Basics (MySocLab Series)
Paul Zindel was an American author, playwright and educator.

In 1964, he wrote The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, his first and most successful play. The play ran off-Broadway in 1970, and on Broadway in 1971. It won the 1971 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. It was also made into a 1972 movie by 20th Century Fox. Charlotte Zolotow, then a vice-president at Harper & Row (now Harper-
More about Paul Zindel...

Zone Unknown (6 books)
  • Loch
  • The Doom Stone
  • Raptor
  • Reef of Death
  • Night of the Bat
The Pigman The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds My Darling, My Hamburger The Pigman's Legacy Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball