Start by marking “Night of the Bat” as Want to Read:
Night of the Bat

Night of the Bat (Zone Unknown #6)

When Indian workers begin to disappear from an expedition into the Amazon, fifteen-year-old Jake fears that his father, a bat biologist, is in great danger. Against his dad's wishes, Jake flies to Brazil and joins his father's research team, working high in the canopy of a remote stretch of the rain forest. Unfortunately, Jake's first climb up the rope bridges and ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Hyperion Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Bat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Bat

Natalie
Oct 04, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: wjhs, genre, topic
This book is about a 15 year old boy and he went to brazzil to prove to his dad that he has grown up.They find somthing and it is huge and if you want to know then you need to read the book it is really good.My favirote part was when his dad belived in him because it would be sad not having your dad belive in you.I would recommend this book to 6th graders and some 7th graders.
Kimberly
Back when this book was first published I must have read it half a ddozen times and Paul Zindel has become one of my favourite childhood authors. His books were spooky enough for me to want to read over and over again without getting tired of them.

Since It's been a decade since I read this one though I really wanted to read it again. Sometimes I just get struck by the feeling that I have to read some childhood favourites every once in awhile. It's nice to sit back, relax and let nostalgia take
Kala Lash
Dec 06, 2015 Kala Lash rated it it was amazing
night of the bat is a very well wrote book by Paul Zindel. This book fallows 15 year old Jake through the Brazilian rain forest as he is in fear of his dad being in great danger. The conflict begins when Jake discovers the winged beast victims and almost becomes one of them. I think the purpose of this story is to entertain by telling a story and making it feel real. The way you are put into Jake's shoes makes this very entertaining this really pushes me to believe that the authors purpose is to ...more
Ms. Yingling
Feb 09, 2012 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Jake goes to spend time with his scientist father who is researching bats in the Amazon. Shortly after he arrives, Jake is showing a worker his electronic Gizmo that can "see" through the rainforest with echolocation, and they find the bodies of two missing workers. Soon, giant rabid attack bats are taking down workers, and according to the wisdom of the natives, the bite of these bats does horrible things to the victims, so they must be killed. Can Jake use his technology to protect his father ...more
Scary book...especially for one aimed at older children/teens. I know it had me holding my breath and my heart beating faster at a few points. A warning for the more faint of heart, though: It's also very descriptive, it doesn't shy away from explaining--in detail--all of the blood and gore that abound.

Zeandre
This was a pretty decent book however it lacked the elements of a good horror book. It's basically meant for those that can't handle a lot of violence. I've read many Paul Zindel books in my day but I'm afraid in this writing, it looks to me as if he wasn't trying with this book. Not one of his best books overall but I wouldn't call this book terrible either.
Primadonna
Apr 03, 2008 Primadonna rated it liked it
Shelves: gothichorror
Hmm. Have mixed feelings about it. Pretty gory and creepy (for teenagers' read). Yet some things made me think... I mean, where did the giant bat come from? How come he's alone? And can you really find orangutan in jungles (in Java)? Hmmm..
Patricia Mick
Patricia Mick rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Jack Weidenkopf
Jack Weidenkopf rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2012
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Jessie
Nov 18, 2013 Jessie rated it did not like it
Shelves: brazil
Couldn't get into it. I don't think I finished it.
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Luke McGinnis
Luke McGinnis rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2011
Karlee
Karlee rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2014
Twyll
Twyll rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2011
Sherida
Sherida rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2008
Riley Bonnin
Riley Bonnin rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Clark T
Clark T rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Gryding
Gryding rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Amanda
Jan 08, 2009 Amanda added it
If you are in to terror books this a good one to read.
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Punkin13
Punkin13 rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2009
Chris dudgeon
Chris dudgeon rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2011
Dylan
Dylan rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Ruth
Ruth rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2011
Marko Jevtic
Marko Jevtic rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2009
Lauri
Lauri rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2011
Clarissa
Clarissa rated it really liked it
May 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Paul Zindel was an American author, playwright and educator.

In 1964, he wrote The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, his first and most successful play. The play ran off-Broadway in 1970, and on Broadway in 1971. It won the 1971 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. It was also made into a 1972 movie by 20th Century Fox. Charlotte Zolotow, then a vice-president at Harper & Row (now Harper-
More about Paul Zindel...

Zone Unknown (6 books)