The Jekyl Island Club

The Jekyl Island Club

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Located on the idyllic Georgia coast, Jekyl Island was the playground of the rich at the turn of the last century. Vanderbilts, Goulds, Rockefellers, and other members of elite society vacationed there, enjoying the finest aspects of Southern hospitality that money could buy and importing the rest from New York. Indeed, the money was good: the club's one hundred members co...more
Published June 1st 2000 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2000)

Dan Gladwell
"Great page turner" is a spectacularly apt way to describe the Jekyl Island Club. It is a little slow in the beginning, but once it gets going (about 20 pages in), it's incredibly hard to put down. In fact, I finished the book in two nights, staying up until 6am. It's a great read, but not a book that will stay with you for an extended period of time.

Brent Monahan knows how to do develop some decent characters. I was introduced to the author while reading the "Book of Common Dread", one of my al...more
Elizabeth Hunter
I finally got hold of the first of Monahan's John Le Brun books. Having read the next two, I knew the solution, so it was mostly a matter of learning the whole story. As always, the history and issues of the day were the most interesting part of the experience. The mystery is a nice, tangly one, but the key clue was left to dangle past plausibility and the denouement seemed vague and anti-climactic. I enjoyed his deputy chief, Tidewell, who has almost no role in either of the subsequent books in...more
Lori Robinett
I started reading this book while vacationing in Gulf Shores, Alabama. It was too heavy a book, with lots of characters and history and description. It was a bit overwhelming and difficult to keep track of who was doing what, with who, and why. The description was beautiful, and I enjoyed the inclusion of historical figures. The author did a good job of showing the human side of recognizable characters.

After 9 months of occasionally picking the book up and reading a bit, I decided it was time t...more
Anna
Easy fun mystery that I read because we had just vacationed on Jekyl Island. It is amazing to think that Jekyl was once owned by the richest people in America and now it belongs to the state! I thought the conspiracy theory of the USS Maine at the end of the book was a bit silly but otherwise it was amusing to read of J.P. Morgan and Thomas B. Reed as murder suspects! I loved Warfield - what a great character - a lawyer who got fired as the scapegoat for a firm that was padding the books so beco...more
Lchubbs
Interesting historically with entertaining characters.
Graceann
Nov 28, 2007 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
A murder mystery set at the mythic Jekyl Island Club (and it was spelled that way in the beginning), among the richest folks in their 20-room "cottages." All the intrigues and petty rivalries are here, as is the Upstairs, Downstairs kind of atmosphere one expects to see among the rich and their servants. Ripping good yarn.
Oceana2602
I've been to Jekyll Island. I remember swimming in the hotel pool outside when it rained like crazy, and watching movies on HBO when I decided that I couldn't get any wetter if I tried, but that was definitely wet enough.

The book was a bit like that: not what you'd have wanted, but not unenjoyable either.
Jan
I read this while on vacation in Hilton Head. It was one of the book in the condo. Since it took place near there I thought it would be fun to read it. It took place the the late 1800's and had people like J P Morgan and Pulitzer in it which was something I enjoyed.
David Nadolny
I really enjoyed this book. It is a classic Edwardian detective story. I guess I read the series out of order, but it was just as enjoyable. Monahan goes down on my authors to read file.
Margaret
This was an interesting history/mystery featuring J.P. Morgan, Joseph Pulitzer and other captains of industry. I should probably read more about them based on this fictitous account.
Cshifflett
Ok book. Gives insight to what went on at the Jekyl Island Club on Jekyl Island "back in the day." Interesting to see politics back in the day were no different than they are today.
Michael Harris
I don't read much fiction but this is historic fiction. Loved the story and the setting. An excellent storyteller.
Anita
Really good mystery woven into a slice of history. Great read!
Alex Cantrell
Alex Cantrell marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Tyonce
Tyonce added it
Apr 25, 2014
Laura Boston
Laura Boston marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Anne Harp
Anne Harp marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Jerry Scot
Jerry Scot marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Bell Witch: An American Haunting The Book of Common Dread: A Novel of the Infernal (Vincent DeVilbiss, #1) The Blood of the Covenant (Vincent DeVilbiss, #2) The Sceptred Isle Club The Manhattan Island Clubs