Start by marking “The Pigman's Legacy” as Want to Read:
The Pigman's Legacy

The Pigman's Legacy (The Pigman #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  1,120 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The Pigman's return ...

Four months after the Pigman died, John and Lorraine are passing by their old friend's empty house when they receive the shock of their lives: An elderly man has taken up residence in the abandoned home. Convinced this down-and-out recluse is a sign from beyond the grave, John and Lorraine decide they've been given a chance to make up for what happen
Published March 29th 2005 by HarperTeen (first published May 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Pigman's Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pigman's Legacy

Alice
Being the sequel to The Pigman ,this book was filled with the same hilarious narration and situation John and Lorraine found themselves in the first fictional memoir. In this one, the two believe another Pigman has entered their lives to haunt them. Suddenly they find themselves on a journey with another old man, an affectionate dog and a legacy Mr. Pignati left behind.
Just as fast-paced and funny as the first, I enjoy this book even more than The Pigman. At only 114 pages broken into 13 ch
Kathleen Garber
Oct 06, 2007 Kathleen Garber rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who read The Pigman
I read the original book, The Pigman in grade school. I liked the story but hated having to write essays about it. I hate studying books. So when contemplating reads for the 2nds challenge, I remembered that I had always wanted to read the other books about The Pigman, (there is also The Pigman and Me which I intend to read.)

I'm glad I decided to read this one. The Pigman's Legacy is even BETTER than The Pigman. I was almost in tears at the end. I love the writing style which switches with each
Chris
spoilers: Absolute worst book ever, even worse than the first: how that is possible, I don't know, because the first was pretty bad. This book is just a heap of random: a hobo in the pigman's house, and a lunch lady - yawwwwn, wow, I'm not even captivated. And I don't find anything funny either. And then they get the old man fudge for some reason: because they're stupid pieces of crap who don't learn from the first time they killed an old man. So they hop in a car and drive around, and - that's ...more
Hank Fisher

Do you believe in miracles? John and Lorraine give you an amazing story about trying to find their legacy that the Pigman left them. One day the two sophomores decide to stroll down to the Pigman's house. To their surprise they find an old man who took advantage of the vacant house. At first, the kids didn't want anything to do with the old man, but soon they would realize that he would help them find their legacy. Along with the help of the school's janitor Dolly, John, Lorraine, and the old m
03JustinC
John and Lorraine really need to stop meeting old people. It’s been over 4 months since the Pigman has died, and John and Lorraine are still pretty shaken up about it. So much so they even take the long way home because they don't want to pass by the Pigman's old house. But something in that house calls to them, somehow they can't stay away. Was it the Pigman's ghost come back from the dead to haunt them for what they did to him? Was it some bum sneaking in to get a free night’s sleep at their o ...more
Barbara
The pigman has died. If I spoiled it for anybody, I apologize. But now we are introduced to Gus. Lorraine and john have discovered Gus living in the pigman's house and they start to try make amends for what had happened to the pigman and his death. Those two kids are just swell, just swell. If you read the book, you'll get the joke.

John learns not to judge his father's alcoholism so harshly. Lorraine learns the true legacy of the pig man is love.

Next book.
Kimberly
While this book had the similar charm and feel as the Pigman, it's obvious it's just a cut-and-paste plot from the first book. I did love the fact John "grew up" and stopped drinking and smoking, and I loved how the gambling scene portrayed how easily addiction can overtake you again if you have an addicted personality. I also loved the progression of John and Lorraine's relationship in this book.
Maura
One of those rare situations in which the sequel is better than the first book. John and Lorraine of course are still their usual selves, although they've become a touch more mature... The book is in the same format as the first, with the two switching narration as they talk about what happens with their new friend who has moved into the Pigman's house. John and Lorraine still make mistakes and they obviously haven't fully learned their lesson, but their intent is good this time. They want to ma ...more
Raquel
May 04, 2012 Raquel added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all teenagers
Recommended to Raquel by: a teacher
I wish the colonel hadn't died but I loved how it ended, well the last paragraphs- ' "I want to spend the rest of my life with you," John said so gently and sincerely my entire body heard. We turned toward each other, holding on to one another there in front of that glass wall that I felt held the answer to every mystery of what we were doing on this earth to begin with. Our bodies were touching and there was no shame, there was no fear, there was no Death.
Love.
That was our legacy-the gift whi
Chris
Having read the first part of the 2-part series of this book in high-school, I tried reading the other part, once I graduated high-school. Although geared to the younger-generation, this book was a bit interesting to read. The chapters very quick and light, and I was able to get through a few chapters a day(I finished this book in about 4 days-due to other thing also present on my to-do list at the time). If you've read the first part, you'll thoroughly enjoy this second part of the series of tw ...more
Lara
Aug 31, 2013 Lara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya-fic
The Pigman's Legacy actually gave me quite a bit of insight into the Pigman, so I went back and changed my rating from 3 to 4 stars. The kids are back and really examining their role into the death of the Pigman, and are offered a second chance at making a difference in a lonely old man's life. It seems that they've learned a lot, but the scene at the casino in Atlantic City made me want to throw the book across the room. What is the destructive streak that runs through that kid? Gawd!
Tarren Alves
The Pigman's Legacy is the sequel to The Pigman, but it would still make sense if you didn't read the first book.

In The Pigman's Legacy, John and Lorraine go to visit the Pigman's old house through curiosity. They find an 82 year old man who goes by the name of Gus. The two teens decide that the old man is the Pigman reincarnated so they befriend and take care of him. They later go on several mini adventures with the elderly man and learn several things about themselves along the way.
Casey
I think Zindel is one of the best YA writers. It breaks my heart that my students won't get into him. His characters seem like such real teenagers--they're flawed and trying too hard to grow up and not always conscious of others' feelings. Also, his books manage to be hilarious and tragic at once. John and Lorraine have had to learn some pretty tough lessons, but they made me laugh on the way.

Please give a Zindel book to a teenager; I'm terrified he's going to fade away.
Elle Strange
Since i haven't read the first book before this one, i can say that this is a book to read by someone who wants a little humor while relaxing. The plot is cute for me and as i turn the page, the suspense and the mystery is thrilling for me. And of course, the life game. Haha. :)
Paul Chionchio
I read the first pig man and it was wonderful being that the story had no were to go any more after one of the characters died that's what made it that much better. it is a very touching story and a very good plot as the characters in the book you will never forget the pigman!!!
Brandon Swarrovski
Once again, I love Zindel's writing style. He creates suspense and mystery and it makes the reader want to continue even though there really isn't much of a story.

His sprinkles of humor gave me a few chuckles while reading The Pigman's Legacy too.

Sarah Mock
Apr 18, 2013 Sarah Mock marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
4 months after the Pigman died, John and Lorraine receive the shock of their lives: An elderly man has taken up residence in the abandoned home. John and Lorraine decide they've been given a chance to make up for what happened to the Pigman.
Darleen
Ok so i just finished this book, and like the first one it didn't dissapoint me. I had forgotten a few thing's that happened in this one so i was somewhat surprised. I can also see now why i enjoyed them so much as a teen...
Caittyloohoo
not 100% as good as the first one, but still amazing in itself.
i recommend playing the life game after reading it,
(not the game LIFE) i still go looking for the things from that game through my everyday life.
Seamus
it was a good book and a good sequel. I would reccommend this to anyone who read the first pigman. i would also reccommend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction
Yaya Pelaez
Years ago in school when we finished reading the first book I couldn't wait to go to the library and read this book. Again it's a book that stuck with me.
HeavyReader
Sequal to the Pigman. I have absolutely no recollection as to what happened in this book. I wish I had kept a reading log in the 80s.
Rad
I was such a sucker for John and Lorraine's romance that I loved this book despite the cheesiness of the last chapter.
Jaydi
Feb 16, 2008 Jaydi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
this is an awesome sequal to the awesome pigman so what are you waiting for? READ READ READ!!!!!
April
Very good and just like "The Pigman" but with new character and with a very very happy/sad ending.
Katrina
The follow-up to The Pigman. I loved the main characters so much I read the second one!
Fred D
It was pretty good, but not as good as the the original. This book's a lot shorter too.
Mr. Kim
I appreciated the sentimentality, but everything seemed forced and predictable.
Ed
I'm guessing I enjoyed this too.
"Why is the sequel
never the equal...?"
  • Travels With Charley and Later Novels 1947-1962 (Library of America #170)
  • Night Kites
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • The Barbarians are Coming
  • Troublemaker and Other Saints
  • The Lost Daughter of Happiness: A Novel
  • Legend: The Life and Death of Marilyn Monroe
  • Shadrach
  • Short Stories
  • There's a Bat in Bunk Five (Marcy Lewis, #2)
  • Evolution
  • Rescue Me
  • White Fluffy Clouds: Found Inspiration Moving Forward
  • Anthropology and Modern Life
  • Choice and Consequence
  • Rumble Fish
  • The Language of Goldfish
  • The Time and the Place and Other Stories
Paul Zindel was an American author, playwright and educator.

In 1964, he wrote The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, his first and most successful play. The play ran off-Broadway in 1970, and on Broadway in 1971. It won the 1971 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. It was also made into a 1972 movie by 20th Century Fox. Charlotte Zolotow, then a vice-president at Harper & Row (now Harper-
More about Paul Zindel...
The Pigman The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds My Darling, My Hamburger Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball The Pigman and Me