Start by marking “Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball” as Want to Read:
Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball

Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  1,211 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Two alienated teenagers learn to cope with their personal problems by being honest with each other.
Published August 1st 1993 by Starfire (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
226th out of 2,406 books — 2,392 voters
Rising by Stephanie JudiceRevealing Eden by Victoria FoytOnce Upon a Road Trip by Angela N. BlountMr. Was by Pete HautmanRealm of the Goddess by Sabina Khan
Unsung YA
15th out of 73 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Dec 03, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: don-t-judge-me
Ah, young adult literature! My Paul Zindel phase coincided with my Nirvana's Nevermind phase so that the two will forever be linked in my mind. In a way, the partnership is fitting. The grunge movement had something of the 70's and the books of Paul Zindel were imbued with the turmoil and alienation that would be a driving force in 90's music. Both capitalized on my burgeoning teen angst. (I must have been about 13 at the time).

This was my favorite of Zindel's books. Certain scenes were so vivid
Heather Fryling
Feb 15, 2014 Heather Fryling rated it really liked it
Forget keeping up appearances. These kids burned down the glass house. I'm not sure if Paul Zindell intended Marsh and Edna's story as a cautionary tale or a romance, but I took it as a romance when I first read Pardon Me You're Stepping on My Eyeball back in high school. And I don't think that was a good thing. People who are real can appear crazy, because they're not sucking in, plucking, polishing, and posturing to fit into everyone's expectations. I like being around real people. But there a ...more
Samacha Sam
Paul Zindel’s riveting yet bizarre book, Pardon Me, You're Stepping On My Eyeball! is about these two high school students who are socially awkward end up becoming friends. Edna Shinglebox and Marsh Mellow both end up in the same GTE class with other people because they both have problems but Edna doesn't think she needs to be in there. Marsh ends up showing letters from his father who is in a nuthouse to Edna and will soon have a lobotomy. Marsh begs Edna to help save him but she doesn't care. ...more
Deb
Aug 18, 2010 Deb rated it liked it
Read it as a teen; read again as an adult. Good both times. If a teacher wants to have students experience character perspective, and reliability of narrator, this would be GREAT. Teens: if you have a friend who seems be different, read it. Reminds me of Chris Crutcher books with out the athleticism.
Karen
Jun 07, 2007 Karen rated it it was amazing
More freak-meets-freak goodness from Paul Zindel. This one features a raccoon, effed parents, and a road trip, if I'm remembering correctly. RIP, Paul Zindel. I wish I could somehow track you down and sing you a heartfelt rendition of "To Sir With Love."
S.L. Dixon
Dec 10, 2014 S.L. Dixon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This thing was probably brimming with life lessons... ignore them if you notice them and you've got a fun story that races its way through an absurd mental blockade and a young girl playing along all too readily (it's dastardly that the assault she took barely registered in the story line... I suppose those were different times. I enjoyed everything else).
The characters were all kinds of silly fun, especially the school psychologist.
There's no way to get bored with a story featuring so many pecu
Stella Brians
Sep 22, 2016 Stella Brians rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough good things about this book. I absolutely loved it! Paul Zindel has always been a favorite of mine, although I have not read him in years. This is the story of two troubled teens; Marsh and Edna. They strike up an unusual (and rather forced at first) friendship/relationship. Marsh comes from a broken home, with a mother who is crazy and a father who is in a mental institution and writes him letters. He has a pet raccoon (which is so cool) and makes up wild stories about mostl ...more
Emily
Feb 09, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
Edna Shinglebox and Louis “Marsh” Mellow are disaffected youth in the mid-1970s. When they are enrolled in a group therapy class at school they come to know each other and maybe help with each other’s emotional problems.
Everything in this book is bizarre, from Marsh’s stories his and his father’s exploits with women to Edna’s visit to a local psychic. The descriptions are wacky and vivid and very representative of the time period and the youth scene. Marsh and Edna are fully-realized characters
Robert
Aug 05, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Nobody wrote about teen freak outcasts better than Paul Zindel and this is one of his best YA novels, alternately very funny and sad, with a tremendously appealing heroine in Edna Shinglebox – you can’t help rooting for Edna to make it through her often grotesque trials and tribulations with her wacked-out parents, her extremely troubled sort-of love interest, “Marsh” Mellow, and the typical teen traumas of high school, self-loathing, etc. I was genuinely moved by the ending, where both Edna and ...more
Douglas Gibson
Continuing my study of 70's YA lit. Wow. This one is just bizarre.
Maddy
Mar 30, 2012 Maddy rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite YA books - a surprisingly thorough and well-felt examination of strength and honesty. I remember beign somewhat shocked when the protagonist learns to stand up for herself, overdoes it and is cruel, and then has to go back and fix things. That's a pretty nuanced understanding of "being honest". Anyway, a funny, heartfelt book that I reread a lot in my teenage years.

This was the first Zindel I read, and I later found many of his books are very similar in tone and theme. This r
Jacquelyn Hall
Mar 18, 2015 Jacquelyn Hall rated it it was amazing
I will always re-read!
Lise
Feb 05, 2016 Lise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A funny book for young adults about alienation, lying and honesty.
Amanda
Feb 07, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
Too much meaningless detail, not enough plot. I mean, who needs pages and pages about who's in attendance at a party and what they're wearing? I like that the two main characters are so incredibly flawed and strange, but that's really the only thing about this book that's enjoyable. I doubt I'll remember anything about this in a few weeks' time.
Andrea Conarro
Jun 17, 2008 Andrea Conarro rated it liked it
Shelves: gen-fiction
This is one with a title I can't forget which I plucked from the shelves at grandma's house. I used to stock up when we would visit--just go upstairs and rummage through the old books of my aunts and uncles. I think this was one I read sometime in the middle school years--weird coming-of-age type book.
Stace Leza
Jun 17, 2011 Stace Leza marked it as the-best-children-literature
learning to manoeveur those late turbulent teen years is a challenge but zindel is very adept at getting it all down in paper: all the mess and the angst that come with learning who you are and what you are about.a great read and a comfort for teens that they are not alone in their experiences
Daizie
Mar 10, 2008 Daizie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
THe first book I read from Paul Zindel, leading me to devour all of his books! This is tied as my favorite up there with My darling My hamburger! Loved it! I read it in high school, and some how taught me to love myself and all my quirkiness and that was over 25 years ago! A must read for teens!
Mary
Jan 31, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's so weird and it kept me guessing, and the ending was really sweet. What I liked about it was that the characters were unhappy, just like most teenagers, but it wasn't so depressing that you felt unhappy to read it. It also has a cute title.
Maya Rock
Aug 03, 2007 Maya Rock rated it it was amazing
In my vague recollection of this there are serious father issues in this book. This for me was Paul Zindel's best book, maybe the one that packed the most emotional punch, although not my favorite one.

Memorable for firecrackers.

Inspires the "fatherissues" shelf
Jacque
Aug 14, 2009 Jacque rated it liked it
I loved this book in High School. Curosity is making me read it again.

Reading this as an adult and a parent changes my perception of it completly. It was still an engaging read, but boy, I hope most teenagers are not that disfunctional.
Sandy
Feb 15, 2008 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kids-ya
I read this as a sophomore in high school. As someone who was always a bit of a misfit, this book really felt like it was written for me. It's full of strange, dysfunctional characters and it will always have a special place in my heart.
Devin
Nov 24, 2009 Devin rated it liked it
I thought it was a charming book. I can totally relate to Edna and Marsh feeling out of place. I absolutely adored the character of Marsh. Although my only complaint was that there wasn't alot of detail.
Paula Weir
Nov 02, 2012 Paula Weir rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Many years since I read it, so much so would love to read it again. Just an excellent concept, great coming of age tale and you can't knock that title. Not for the xFactor generation.
Lol, Internet
Jan 26, 2009 Lol, Internet rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Lol, by: It was my moms book
This is a good book. The cover was different on mine, a yellow beige colour...
So I must have had an older edition.

This book would kick Twilight up the anus any day.

Go paul zindel!
Becky
Nov 01, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it as a kid. Checked it out because of title but didn't get it until I was older. I still read it every few years or so. It is so dated, but the characterization is great.
V.S. Carnes
Jan 27, 2011 V.S. Carnes rated it it was amazing
I loved the appellations used to describe the adults in this book! Sure, I read it when I was a teenager, but I'll admit I've re-read it more than oncce since I've grown up.
Carol Hardesty
This was one of my favorite Accelerated Reader books back in my school days. It's eccentric, believable, and romantic all at once. A definite recommendation.
Jeff Menter
Apr 09, 2008 Jeff Menter rated it really liked it
Delicious teen angst, makes you feel less strange or should I say makes you realize strange is OK or should I say makes you realize we are ALL strange.
Kjiang
Aug 18, 2009 Kjiang rated it it was amazing
My fave book from Zindel. Read this in high school. A great story about being yourself even if it's not considered 'normal'.
Priscilla Macias
Apr 30, 2009 Priscilla Macias rated it it was ok
This book was okay, but not nearly as good as The Pigman. It didn't really say or do much and didn't draw me in.
  • Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack!
  • Cecily G. and the 9 Monkeys
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • The Mysterious Stranger and Other Stories
  • The Missing Persons League
  • There's a Bat in Bunk Five (Marcy Lewis, #2)
  • Mom, the Wolf Man, and Me
  • Short Stories
  • Secrets of the Shopping Mall
  • Then Again, Maybe I Won't
  • The Man Without a Face
  • Buddies
  • Up in Seth's Room
  • Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?
  • A Candle in Her Room
  • A Wind in Cairo
  • The Long Secret (Harriet the Spy #2)
  • One Fat Summer
Paul Zindel was an American author, playwright and educator.

In 1964, he wrote The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, his first and most successful play. The play ran off-Broadway in 1970, and on Broadway in 1971. It won the 1971 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. It was also made into a 1972 movie by 20th Century Fox. Charlotte Zolotow, then a vice-president at Harper & Row (now Harper-
More about Paul Zindel...