Start by marking “The Inheritors” as Want to Read:
The Inheritors

The Inheritors

In 1969, Harold Robbins began his "trilogy of greed" with The Inheritors, a tell-all novel about the entertainment industry. Spanning the years 1955 to 1965, and based on the lives of actual network executives and movie moguls, the novel exposes the sex, power, and politics of mass media.

Steve Gaunt is working hard to build his television empire. He's a visionary and a bi

Mass Market Paperback, 373 pages
Published February 1971 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Inheritors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inheritors

Philip
Apr 24, 2012 Philip rated it it was ok
It's really not necessary to read anything Harold Robbins wrote after WHERE LOVE HAS GONE (1962), and that includes the over-inflated sex saga THE ADVENTURERS, published in 1966. By 1969, when THE INHERITORS was published, Harold Robbins had become the world's bestselling novelist. Unfortunately, this milestone was achieved at almost exactly the point when he began writing almost exclusively for money to fund his lavishly hedonistic jet-set lifestyle, with the result that his novels began a down ...more
Kurt Reichenbaugh
For Harold Robbins this was a surprisingly disciplined novel. It had the requisite sex, with only one scene I would call kinky. Most of it detailed the relationship between Sam and Steve, two mavericks in the television and movie industry between the years 1955 and 1965.

On a side note I would recommend a fascinating bio of Harold Robbins; Harold Robbins The Man Who Invented Sex by Andrew Wilson.
Raisa
Dec 26, 2013 Raisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It has been a long time since I read The Inheritors. I cannot really point what is it about this book, but the story, the environment, the charm still sits somewhere at the back of my mind. It might not be a classic, by the sheer definition of it, it is, however, a book worth reading to get a glimpse into the American film industry. True, a lot has been said since then. But this is totally unabashed and uninhibited - Harold Robbins Style!
Mike
Oct 22, 2010 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Third book in the trilogy that includes The Dream Merchants and The Carpetbaggers giving a take on the motion picture industry in America amd the development of TV.
Characters larger than life and even for the film world this is probably a touch over the top, but then Robbins could always sell books. Subtlety is not his strong point but I'll forgive him a great deal for producing 'A Stone for Danny Fisher' which is a great deal more mature than this.
Thomas Strömquist
This one stood out among my grandfathers many serious and inaccessible (for me in the mid-80's) books. I'm sure what made me finish it was the generous and detailed sex content. I didn't, however, even then consider it a very good story.
Cindy
Jan 18, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorites. I've retread this many times. It's not Shakespeare, just fast fun reading. Great story.
A.joseph
Aug 30, 2012 A.joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite author !
Nadia
Jan 18, 2009 Nadia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in Italian, very easy to read.
Juniar
Nov 14, 2007 Juniar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
The struggles of the pioneers in the motion picture industry.
Lupinelady99
Lupinelady99 rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2009
bettina
bettina rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Sreenivas
Sreenivas rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2015
 Pleasures Chest
Pleasures Chest rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2010
Sherin
Sherin rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Ashish
Ashish rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Jim Christensen
Jim Christensen rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2016
Akshat
Akshat rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Everly Reynolds
Everly Reynolds rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it did not like it
Aug 29, 2012
Nguyen The
Nguyen The rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Jag Mahadeo
Jag Mahadeo rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2011
Sally Alzaza
Sally Alzaza rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Chandrash Dang
Chandrash Dang rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Tony
Tony rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2013
Gowtham Swaroop
Gowtham Swaroop rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Jolaade Adesanya
Jolaade Adesanya rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Duane Moraes
Duane Moraes rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Oladipo
Oladipo rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Mahendra Desai
Mahendra Desai rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Tina Petrashevsky
Tina Petrashevsky rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
  • Diary of a Mad Housewife
  • Landslide
  • The Prize
  • Florida Heat (Florida Heat Murder Mystery Series)
  • Demonic Grounds: Black Women And The Cartographies Of Struggle
  • My Face Is Black Is True: Callie House and the Struggle for Ex-Slave Reparations
  • Brain Dead
  • Stigmata
  • The Warlord
  • Democracy
32005
Born as Harold Rubin in New York City, he later claimed to be a Jewish orphan who had been raised in a Catholic boys home. In reality he was the son of well-educated Russian and Polish immigrants. He was reared by his pharmacist father and stepmother in Brooklyn.

His first book, Never Love a Stranger (1948), caused controversy with its graphic sexuality. Publisher Pat Knopf reportedly bought Never
More about Harold Robbins...