Start by marking “Blood Lies” as Want to Read:
Blood Lies

Blood Lies

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  510 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Ben Dafoe, a young emergency-room doctor and part-time crime-scene consultant for the Seattle Police Department, is haunted by addiction. Two years earlier, a cocaine and crystal-meth habit claimed the life of his identical twin, Aaron. Now Ben walks onto the scene of a savage stabbing to find that the victim is his former fiancée, Emily Kenmore--another loved one who fell ...more
Published June 12th 2007 by Forge Books (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Lies

Debra
Emergency-room physician, Ben Dafoe, is horrified to learn that his former fianceé, Emily, has been brutally murdered. He’s still trying to come to terms with his twin brother Aaron’s death two years earlier, so Emily’s murder is especially devastating. When evidence suggests that the blood found on the walls in Emily’s bedroom is likely Ben’s, he panics and leaves Seattle for Vancouver, British Columbia, where Aaron was last seen. Is his twin actually alive? Aaron and Emily were both drug users ...more
Kristen
If you love a shocking and twisted medical thriller, this one is for you. From debut author Daniel Kalla, he's taking you to a thrill ride in Blood Lies. Dr. Ben Dafoe is an ER doctor in Seattle who's caught in the middle of a puzzling mystery. When his ex-fiancée is found hacked to death and murdered with another person, he becomes the spotlight of attention because of his personal connection. When his blood's found on the wall, it gets creepier, when he becomes a person of interest. From Ben's ...more
Toni Osborne

Ben Dafoe is a young emergency-room doctor and a crime consultant for the Seattle Police Department. His expertise is required at the scene of a savage stabbing; where he discovers one of the victims is his former fiancée, Emily Kenmore. In her bedroom is a single streak of blood caked on the wall. When the DNA from the sample matches Ben's, he becomes the prime suspect. Desperate to find out how this could have happened he is forced into hiding from authorities. Suspecting his identical twin br
Drea
From the beginning to the end, I was hooked. I couldn't wait to turn the next page to see what was going to happen. Never have I been so anxious to find out what's going to happen next. "Blood Lies" is a great suspense book. It's like watching a movie as you read the book. And I would read it all again just for the thrill it brings.

This book keeps you reading in a whodunnit kind of way:

A doctor finds out that his ex-fiance and male friend of hers was viciously murdered in her home. Confused as t
David
Once upon a time I had an idea...this idea happened in a bookstore...I thought hey! I'm gonna grab a random book with no research and see how it works out. It was the worst idea I've ever had. This book sucked...big time...also at this point I didn't have the expectations I do today...I liked shit...and I even hated this! I just wanna say the plot line wasn't bad...good idea. By the way its one of the scientific writers...uses a lot medical in their books. The characters were awful...they were v ...more
The plot overall is a decent idea, and that's keeping me entertained. But I'm frustrated at how dumb the main character (Ben) appears to be. I already have a pretty good guess as to whodunnit, as the foreshadowing is pretty heavy. And Ben is just digging himself into a ridiculous hole. But I'll finish listening anyway, just to find out if I'm right.

Thank goodness I'm almost done with this. The overall plot is interesting enough that I still want to know the resolution, but good lord. Just when B
Amanda
I didn't enjoy this book too much. It was just okay. I felt that the topic of being framed for murder using twin blood has been done a lot recently. I also didn't relate to the main character very much. Despite these things, I am still looking forward to reading Daniel Kalla's other books. I think it was the topic that made me not like this book a lot.
Nancy Steinle gummel
Blood Lies by Daniel Kalla is an awesome book. This is the first of Kalla's books I've read and i look forward to reading more. He tells a very well written story. It begins with Dr Benjamin Dafoe, an ER doctor. He unwings be riding his bike with reckless abandon. He is contacted by Detective Helen Riddell and her partner Detective Rick Sutcliffe. They are from the Seattle Police Department. They ask Ben to identify a body. The body is Ben's former fiance Emily Kenmore. Ben becomes a suspect. He ...more
Samuel Blondahl
Excelent mystery, filled with tension and surprise. Daniel Kalla knows his work, medicine, and writing, and knows how to bind the two. I strongly recommend Blood Lies. - I have read 5 of his medical mysteries now, and very eager to see his WWII novels. Kalla is worth reading.
So this was the first book that I've ever read from this author. I loved the fact that the main character spent some time in Vancouver Canada as well as in the States. I just finished reading a book that was a little bit hard to get in to and after that, this book was great. I ended up reading it in less than a week. The book keeps you interested the whole way through. I didn't guess who it was until close to the end. That's a big thing for me now since I've read so many crime novels and the pro ...more
Christine
Emergency room doctor Ben Dafoe receives a call from the police. This is not unusual as he often consults on matters of blood in murder cases. However, this one is a little different – the victim is his ex-fiancee. To make matters worse, some of the blood found at the scene belongs to Ben. Proclaiming his innocence, yet fleeing Seattle in favour of Vancouver Ben tries to clear his name.

This book is full of twists and turns, doctors, cops, crooked lawyers, sex, drugs but, alas, no rock and roll.
Crystal
Pretty interesting read. Lots of suspense, and I didn't figure the killer out til the very end!
Dana
Feb 03, 2014 Dana added it
Shelves: abandoned
Good story but I don't like plots about addiction
Cynthia Wells
Predictable, so-so story.
Daisy
I thought it was good. It is my favorite so far of the Kalla books. I found the ending great. I won't spoil it. It had Vancouver and Seattle in it so I loved that because I am from Vancouver and I have been to Seattle. The story was good it moved really well and I like that it was a mystery. I found myself getting mad at some of the characters for their betrayal and dishonesty. It goes to show you what drugs does to a person's sensibilities and temperment.
Maria
not as much dr. as i thought there would be or should say i wanted there to be. but as a suspenseful/mystery it is amazing! its as addicting as the drugs in the book! could not put it down (got very little sleep while reading it) :-) definately recommend for anybody who likes murder mysteries, but probably wouldn't satasfy those who are looking for a medical thriller or any medical dr. store. its more about the dr.'s personal life.
Nightfalltwen
Well this is unfortunate. I didn't technically get to finish this story because I was listening to it as an audio book from the library and disc three was so HORRIBLY scratched that I got nothing but skipping and errors the whole disc. So it got two stars because I wasn't able to finish.

I kinda wasn't even really all that into the story... but with the bad audio copy I had, it didn't help. Ah well.
Barbara ★
It took a long time to get into this book as I did not like the main character at all. Once you get past Dr. Dafoe's personality issues, the story itself is a good one and it definitely keeps your interest. It's twisty turny with just enough red herrings to keep you guessing all the way to the end. I figured out one connection but totally missed the other one. I would read more by this author.
Jenny Talarski
This is probably my new favorite book! I finished it within 2-3 days. I just couldn't put it down. I felt that there was always something that kept you guessing and just wanting to read more. I highly recommend this book!
Babs
Really enjoyed this book. Nice pace, quick read, and it was quite the guessing game of who-dun-it. The author is a real-life ER doctor and has a few ER stories to tell in the book. But, more importantly, he weaves some interesting material on blood, bone marrow transplants, and DNA into the medical mystery mix. Your DNA is unique to only you, right? Read this book and think again.
Kim Moyer
This book was a pretty quick and easy read but I really enjoyed the storyline. There are so many different suspects and theories presented that it really keeps the reader guessing until the end.

I started to have some suspicions that the ultimate culprit was truly the one involved but I definitely didn't see the final twist that pulled it all together coming at all!
Simon Ph.D.
What makes this book great is its style. Short, meaningful sentences, first person POV, engaging story. What makes me not give 4 instead of 5 stars is its predictability (somewhere midway I figured who the perpetrator was, causing me to focus from that point on the writing style rather than the story). Much better read than Michael Palmer's stories.
Debi
Dr. Ben Dafoe finds himself the prime suspect in a murder when his DNA is found at the crime scene. Knowing he didn't commit the murder, he attempts to clear his name by trying to find out who the real killer is. This was a pretty fast-paced suspense thriller and whodunit. It wasn't really a medical thriller per se but more of a general suspense book.
Linh
A quick and entertaining read. I was drawn in right from the start and had a really good time plowing through the book. Although the concept was done in CSI, the author wrote with experience and vivid detail, breathing life into Ben Dafoe. All in all, I enjoyed it.
Stefan
I previously had not been impressed by Daniel Kalla but, 'Blood Lies' was surprisingly good. The first-person perspective and carefully crafted plot kept the tension high. It was also interesting to read a novel that featured the settings of Vancouver and Seattle.
Sinder
It took me FOREVER to read this book. I liked Daniel's work in Rage Therapy, but this book seemed to drag on, until the last 5 chapters, when it got full of action, and then made a unexpected twist. All in all, I didn't really enjoy this book ...

Ricardo
This is probably the worst book that I've read by Kalla so far. I barely managed to make it to the part where the main character goes on the run and then I completely lost interest. Very disappointed, hope the next one is better
Carla
Just the kind of book I like: a fast-paced novel with a "medical" twist. Kept me guessing the whole way through, and although I thought I had it figured out, it turned out that I didn't. That's just the way it should be!
Rose May
I loved this book....I definitely recommend it. I would probably read it again!
Elizabeth
This was a good murder mystery that kept me guessing who was the culprit all the way to the end. Quick read that was interesting and educated me in the ways in which 'blood lies'.
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Flawless
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • Lifelines (Angels of Mercy, #1)
  • The Second Opinion
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)
  • The Gemini Factor
  • The Delta Chain
  • Implant
  • Crisis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #6)
  • Skin Deep
  • Vaccine Nation
  • Bad Vibes (The Edge of Texas #3)
  • Trouble
Born, raised, and still residing in Vancouver, Kalla spends his days (and sometimes nights) working as an ER Physician in an urban teaching hospital.

The idea for his first medical thriller, PANDEMIC, sprang from his clinical experience in facing the SARS crisis of 2003. He has written five science thrillers and or medical mysteries, delving into themes and topics as diverse as superbugs, drug addi
More about Daniel Kalla...
Pandemic The Far Side of the Sky Cold Plague Rage Therapy Resistance