Start by marking “Flight of a Witch (Felse, #3)” as Want to Read:
Flight of a Witch (Felse, #3)

Flight of a Witch (Felse #3)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Annet Beck's beauty is of the second order and it worries her parents so much that they guard her as closely as a prisoner...until the rainy Thursday in October when she disappears.

Annet is last seen vanishing over the crest of Hallomount, a hill in the remote Welsh Country believed to be the domain of witches. Five days later she mysteriously reappears, claiming that she

Mass Market, 232 pages
Published May 1st 1992 by Mysterious Press (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Flight of a Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight of a Witch

A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis PetersThe Brothers of Gwynedd by Edith PargeterOne Corpse Too Many by Ellis PetersMonk's Hood by Ellis PetersThe Rose Rent by Ellis Peters
Ellis Peters (a/k/a Edith Pargeter)
11th out of 89 books — 10 voters
Peter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAmadeus by Peter ShafferThe Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
For Pete's Sake ...
259th out of 338 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Verena
Flight of a Witch by Ellis Peters differs from her historical novels set in the early 12th century featuring Brother Cadfael. Decades ago I enjoyed reading this mystery series with its abundance of colorful descriptive details of Medieval England. I doubted this book, set in the mid-20th century, would measure up to those mysteries. Fortunately, it is a satisfying tale, lush with description of the Welsh and English border country, and characters representing "modern" as well as traditional Brit ...more
Sammcnair
I usually like Ellis Peters, and I liked this one. However, it was not as "mystical" as the blurb implied. That was okay, since mysticism didn't fit, but the blurb wasn't suitable in my opinion. Small town in Scotland, with a teacher besotted by an 18 year old girl, who is recognized at the scene of a brutal murder, and the search for the killer.
George
#3 in the Inspector George Felse mystery series set in rural Wales. Good mystery involving a girl's mysterious disappearance that becomes a murder/robbery investigation. A lot of red herrings along the way, but a story that starts slowly but holds your attention.
Kate
"Annet Beck has the kind of breathtaking beauty that strikes people dumb, and young teacher Tom Kenyon, a lodger in her parents;' house, is no exception. When Annet disappears, last seen on the Hallowmount, an historic border site with an eerie reputation, Tom determines to find out where and why: Annet is adamant she's been away a mere two hours but there is irrefutable evidence that she has been gone for five days. What is the explanation? Deliberate deceit? Amnesia? Or witchcraft?

"Tom's amate
Matthew Mitchell
George Felse is my second favorite fictional detective (Lord Peter Wimsey first, and the great Sherlock Holmes at third), and this is one of the best in the Felse Family canon.

I just re-read "Flight of a Witch" this week and loved every word. Ellis Peters knew how to spin a tale so that you were carried along through the mystery, experienced each character, amazed by the plot twists, and satisfied by the ending.
Gill
I thought the Felse book I read previously must be the first in the series chronologically as Dominic Felse was at University in it. Here he is still at school and a more dominant part in the proceedings is played by his police inspector father, who presumably is the Felse referred to in the series, although he did not feature in The Piper on the Mountain.
Peters shows her usual ability to weave plot and characters together, but here there was not for me the overwhelming identity with the charac
Abbe
From Publishers Weekly

This trio of novels by the author of the acclaimed Brother Cadfael mysteries features Detective Chief Inspector George Felse, said to be among the best-portrayed British policemen in fiction today.
Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Product Description

When beautiful Annet Beck disappears into the remote Welsh Country believed to be the domain of witches and returns five days later, claiming she was only gone for two hours, Detective Inspector George Felse st

Melissa
Nicely written, kind of atmospheric, but a little bit caught up in itself. The characters were well distinguished from each other; yet somehow it was still sometimes hard to figure out which point of view was being told. It was interesting to see how very delicately the whole society trod to try to preserve whatever was possible of a young girl's reputation - definitely dating this book to its 1965 publication.
Dee Condon
I love finding a new author! Beautifully written & a clever plot.
Astrid Neumeier
I think that if I had read this book before any other Ellis Peters books, I might not have read more. It's all right, but it's taking me about three times as long to get through as the two other Peters books I've read. It's not what I'd call "gripping." Still, I like the author's style, and it's a fairly pleasant and light read.
Jonathan
This was an enjoyable mystery, although I do not think it is as good as her Brother Cadfael stories. The main problem is that is that she sets up an environment in which the supernatural is expected, but never occurs, - because fundamentally the author is too modern and too rational, as befits a mystery author.
Maribeth
Peters creates fascinating character studies that add to her contribution to the world of not-to-miss British whodunits. This one is no exception, with teacher Tom Kenyon totally entranced with young Annet Beck.
jane
Okay mystery. I'm not sure I'll keep reading the series. Ken has read three more than I have and says they are good when he has nothing better to read. I've been really busy.
Maggie
I would have given this book more stars but it took me nearly 100 pages to get adjusted to the writing style. Once i did, i enjoyed the read thoroughly.
Polly
A rather heart-rending mystery that unfortunately has a memorable solution, which is a problem when you like to re-read as much as I do.
Janeb7
Hmm...not my favorite Ellis Peters by far, but entertaining. I'm not sure I remember all of it, so it couldn't have been that good...
Sandy
This is an odd, quirky mystery - okay because of the very good character sketches drawn by the author... otherwise, nothing exemplary
A strange disappearance and a horrific murder lead teacher Tom Felse to carry out his own investigation.
Bettie☯
ClassicMaiden
ClassicMaiden marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Jodielynn
Jodielynn marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Jaq
Jaq added it
Aug 10, 2015
Toby Kyrk
Toby Kyrk marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Zoe
Zoe added it
Jul 27, 2015
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Chaneilfhios
Chaneilfhios marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
  • Night Frost (Inspector Frost, #3)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Death of an Addict (Hamish Macbeth, #15)
  • The Bohemian Girl (Denton, #2)
  • Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4)
  • Weighed in the Balance (William Monk, #7)
  • The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1)
  • Best Detective Stories of Agatha Christie
  • The Master of Rain
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • The Alington Inheritance (Miss Silver, #31)
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Black Plumes
  • A Grave Mistake (Roderick Alleyn, #30)
  • Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron (Jane Austen Mysteries, #10)
  • White Corridor (Bryant & May, # 5)
A pseudonym used by Edith Pargeter.

Edith Mary Pargeter, OBE, BEM (September 28, 1913 in Horsehay, Shropshire, England –October 14, 1995) was a prolific author of works in many categories, especially history and historical fiction, and was also honoured for her translations of Czech classics; she is probably best known for her murder mysteries, both historical and modern. Born in the village of Hor
More about Ellis Peters...

Felse (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Fallen Into the Pit (Felse, #1)
  • Death and the Joyful Woman (Felse, #2)
  • A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs (Felse, #4)
  • The Piper On the Mountain (Felse, #5)
  • Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (Felse, #6)
  • The Grass Widow's Tale (Felse, #7)
  • The House of Green Turf (Felse, #8)
  • Mourning Raga (Felse, #9)
  • The Knocker on Death's Door (Felse, #10)
  • Death to the Landlords (Felse, #11)
A Morbid Taste for Bones (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #1) One Corpse Too Many (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #2) The Leper of Saint Giles (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #5) Monk's Hood (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #3) St. Peter's Fair (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #4)