Start by marking “Flight of a Witch (Felse, #3)” as Want to Read:
Flight of a Witch (Felse, #3)

Flight of a Witch (Felse Investigations #3)

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  368 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Annet Beck's beauty is of the second order and it worries her parents so much that they guard her as closely as a prisoner...until the rainy Thursday in October when she disappears.

Annet is last seen vanishing over the crest of Hallomount, a hill in the remote Welsh Country believed to be the domain of witches. Five days later she mysteriously reappears, claiming that she

Mass Market Paperback, 232 pages
Published May 1st 1992 by Mysterious Press (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Flight of a Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight of a Witch

A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis PetersA Bloody Field by Shrewsbury by Edith PargeterThe Brothers of Gwynedd by Edith PargeterThe Grass Widow's Tale by Ellis PetersOne Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters
Ellis Peters (a/k/a Edith Pargeter)
18th out of 89 books — 11 voters
Peter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAmadeus by Peter ShafferThe Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
For Pete's Sake ...
267th out of 346 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Verena
Jun 02, 2015 Verena rated it liked it
Flight of a Witch by Ellis Peters differs from her historical novels set in the early 12th century featuring Brother Cadfael. Decades ago I enjoyed reading this mystery series with its abundance of colorful descriptive details of Medieval England. I doubted this book, set in the mid-20th century, would measure up to those mysteries. Fortunately, it is a satisfying tale, lush with description of the Welsh and English border country, and characters representing "modern" as well as traditional Brit ...more
Melissa
Oct 21, 2009 Melissa rated it it was ok
Nicely written, kind of atmospheric, but a little bit caught up in itself. The characters were well distinguished from each other; yet somehow it was still sometimes hard to figure out which point of view was being told. It was interesting to see how very delicately the whole society trod to try to preserve whatever was possible of a young girl's reputation - definitely dating this book to its 1965 publication.
George
Apr 05, 2010 George rated it it was amazing
#3 in the Inspector George Felse mystery series set in rural Wales. Good mystery involving a girl's mysterious disappearance that becomes a murder/robbery investigation. A lot of red herrings along the way, but a story that starts slowly but holds your attention.
Gill
Nov 05, 2012 Gill rated it liked it
I thought the Felse book I read previously must be the first in the series chronologically as Dominic Felse was at University in it. Here he is still at school and a more dominant part in the proceedings is played by his police inspector father, who presumably is the Felse referred to in the series, although he did not feature in The Piper on the Mountain.
Peters shows her usual ability to weave plot and characters together, but here there was not for me the overwhelming identity with the charac
Matthew Mitchell
Mar 05, 2014 Matthew Mitchell rated it it was amazing
George Felse is my second favorite fictional detective (Lord Peter Wimsey first, and the great Sherlock Holmes at third), and this is one of the best in the Felse Family canon.

I just re-read "Flight of a Witch" this week and loved every word. Ellis Peters knew how to spin a tale so that you were carried along through the mystery, experienced each character, amazed by the plot twists, and satisfied by the ending.
Sammcnair
May 05, 2013 Sammcnair rated it liked it
I usually like Ellis Peters, and I liked this one. However, it was not as "mystical" as the blurb implied. That was okay, since mysticism didn't fit, but the blurb wasn't suitable in my opinion. Small town in Scotland, with a teacher besotted by an 18 year old girl, who is recognized at the scene of a brutal murder, and the search for the killer.
Amanda Meggs
Mar 03, 2016 Amanda Meggs rated it it was ok
This is a very low score for me to give. I loved all the Cadfael novels by Ellis Peters and this book just didn't cut it. The characters seemed jarring and unrealistic, Annet was too precious to be true and although you wanted to like Tom there was nothing there that was compelling enough to sway you in his interest. The policeman wasn't in the book enough to make it about him, altogether I found that it just wasn't very good, I struggled to bother finishing but was not unhappy with the ending.
Kate
Dec 16, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Annet Beck has the kind of breathtaking beauty that strikes people dumb, and young teacher Tom Kenyon, a lodger in her parents;' house, is no exception. When Annet disappears, last seen on the Hallowmount, an historic border site with an eerie reputation, Tom determines to find out where and why: Annet is adamant she's been away a mere two hours but there is irrefutable evidence that she has been gone for five days. What is the explanation? Deliberate deceit? Amnesia? Or witchcraft?

"Tom's amate
Flexanimous
Jun 06, 2016 Flexanimous rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is not as good as the Brother Cadfael books, but it's still a satisfying mystery. Peters doesn't seem to see anything strange about an 18-year-old girl being chased by every man in a ten-foot radius, including those much older than her. But then it was first published in 1964, so blame it on the times I guess.
Cindy Rollins
Jun 01, 2016 Cindy Rollins rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Spent my first day at our neighborhood pool reading this. Perfect summer light reading. Not quite up to the Druids/witch theme but still nicely done murder mystery.
Ram Kaushik
Nov 10, 2015 Ram Kaushik rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Average. The aura of mysticism implied by the marketing blurb is totally dispelled by a far more prosaic explanation.
Abbe
From Publishers Weekly

This trio of novels by the author of the acclaimed Brother Cadfael mysteries features Detective Chief Inspector George Felse, said to be among the best-portrayed British policemen in fiction today.
Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Product Description

When beautiful Annet Beck disappears into the remote Welsh Country believed to be the domain of witches and returns five days later, claiming she was only gone for two hours, Detective Inspector George Felse st

Brian
Nov 06, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it
Decent mystery that kept me guessing.
Dee Condon
Mar 24, 2015 Dee Condon rated it really liked it
I love finding a new author! Beautifully written & a clever plot.
Jonathan
Sep 21, 2011 Jonathan rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable mystery, although I do not think it is as good as her Brother Cadfael stories. The main problem is that is that she sets up an environment in which the supernatural is expected, but never occurs, - because fundamentally the author is too modern and too rational, as befits a mystery author.
Maribeth
Nov 19, 2010 Maribeth rated it it was amazing
Peters creates fascinating character studies that add to her contribution to the world of not-to-miss British whodunits. This one is no exception, with teacher Tom Kenyon totally entranced with young Annet Beck.
jane
May 28, 2008 jane rated it liked it
Okay mystery. I'm not sure I'll keep reading the series. Ken has read three more than I have and says they are good when he has nothing better to read. I've been really busy.
Maggie
May 31, 2012 Maggie rated it liked it
I would have given this book more stars but it took me nearly 100 pages to get adjusted to the writing style. Once i did, i enjoyed the read thoroughly.
Polly
Jun 04, 2016 Polly rated it really liked it
A rather heart-rending mystery that unfortunately has a memorable solution, which is a problem when you like to re-read as much as I do.
Janeb7
Jun 07, 2009 Janeb7 rated it liked it
Hmm...not my favorite Ellis Peters by far, but entertaining. I'm not sure I remember all of it, so it couldn't have been that good...
Sandy
Jul 07, 2011 Sandy rated it it was ok
This is an odd, quirky mystery - okay because of the very good character sketches drawn by the author... otherwise, nothing exemplary
Sep 15, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
A strange disappearance and a horrific murder lead teacher Tom Felse to carry out his own investigation.
Bettie☯
Bethany
Bethany rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Val
Val rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Jackie Renee Johnson
Jackie Renee Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
  • Night Frost (Inspector Frost, #3)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • The Bohemian Girl (Denton, #2)
  • Best Detective Stories of Agatha Christie
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Weighed in the Balance (William Monk, #7)
  • Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4)
  • A Grave Mistake (Roderick Alleyn, #30)
  • Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron (Jane Austen Mysteries, #10)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • Death of an Addict (Hamish Macbeth, #15)
  • The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1)
  • The Water Room (Bryant & May, #2)
  • The Master of Rain
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Novels
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Death Waxed Over (A Candlemaking Mystery, #3)
A pseudonym used by Edith Pargeter.

Edith Mary Pargeter, OBE, BEM (September 28, 1913 in Horsehay, Shropshire, England –October 14, 1995) was a prolific author of works in many categories, especially history and historical fiction, and was also honoured for her translations of Czech classics; she is probably best known for her murder mysteries, both historical and modern. Born in the village of Hor
More about Ellis Peters...

Felse Investigations (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Fallen Into the Pit (Felse, #1)
  • Death and the Joyful Woman (Felse, #2)
  • A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs (Felse, #4)
  • The Piper on the Mountain (Felse, #5)
  • Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (Felse, #6)
  • The Grass Widow's Tale (Felse, #7)
  • The House of Green Turf (Felse, #8)
  • Mourning Raga (Felse, #9)
  • The Knocker on Death's Door (Felse, #10)
  • Death to the Landlords (Felse, #11)