Start by marking “The Dark Knight (Montagues, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Knight (Montagues, #4)

The Dark Knight (Montagues #4)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  261 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
At long last, Elizabeth Elliott—the bestselling author of The Warlord and Scoundrel—returns with a medieval romance that will take readers’ breath away.

Thief, assassin, and master of disguise, Dante Chiavari is the most feared mercenary of England’s King Edward. On one last assignment, Dante must play the part of a chivalrous knight to steal Avalene de Forshay from her f
Mass Market Paperback, 440 pages
Published June 26th 2012 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Knight

Mandi Schreiner
Jun 27, 2012 Mandi Schreiner rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Favorite Quote: “I am your knight. You are my lady. Time is all that can change those facts, but time is not yet our enemy.”

A while ago on Twitter, I saw a couple of people mention that they were very happy Elizabeth Elliott was writing again. After a little research I discovered this author has three books out in the mid-90’s (all well received). I became intrigued, and decided to request The Dark Knight for review, to see what all the hype was about. I’m so glad I did.

Set in the late 1200’s, D
Zoe
Apr 30, 2016 Zoe rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book more. But I can't. 3 stars for the medieval setting, which I love. I feel little chemistry between the lead characters. The heroine is especially boring.
Katie(babs)
Apr 10, 2012 Katie(babs) rated it really liked it
Didn't want this one to end. The smutty reader that I am wanted more love scenes. Fans of medieval romance will enjoy this one.
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
May Mostly Romance
Jan 08, 2013 May Mostly Romance rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
สำหรับคนทีรอเลมนีมาสิบสองปี (นับจากเริมอานงานของอลิซาเบธ เอลเลียต) เราคงบอกวา ถาคนแตงตองใชเวลาสิบหกปี (จากงานเลมสุดทายทีเธอเขียน) เพือเขียนเรืองนีออกมาใหเปนแบบนี เรากวาคุมคานะคะ เพราะเรายอนกลับไปคนบทสัน ๆ ทีแนบมาทายเรืองเมือปี 1997 ซึงถือวาเปนคนละเวอรชันกันเลยกับหนังสือเลมนี (แตตัวละครเดียวกัน) เราวาเวอรชันปี 2012 นีดีกวามากมาย

นีเปนอีกครังนึงทีเราตกหลุมรักพระเอกตังแตฉากเปิดตัว ใครจะตานทานไดเมือเขาเริมตนดวยการฆาปาดคอ (รสนิยมเราออกจะโหดไปหนอยคะ --- รูตัวนะคะ) ซึงเปนการลางแคนคนรายทีฆาพอและแมของเขา
Heather Book Savvy Babe
I enjoy reading historical romances, but I was looking for a change. When I saw The Dark Knight was from a medieval time (instead of Regency of Victorian), I was excited to pick it up and give it a try. I am glad I picked this book up, I thoroughly enjoyed the The Dark Knight and I found a new-to-me author to watch.

The Dark Knight is an alluring novel that transports readers into a medieval English world full of deceit, intrigue, romance, and just a hint of magic.

It took me a little bit to reall
Amanda Ryan
Jun 26, 2012 Amanda Ryan rated it liked it
'Tis true, I am a murderer, a liar, and a thief. 'Tis equally true that I will use whatever monstrous talents I posses to keep your daughter at my side. You can take Avalene to a convent at the ends of the earth and I will find her and steal her away again. I will lie to God, himself, to free her. I will protect her with my life, and I will murder anyone who threatens her.

Redonk Nutshell: King's agent sent to abduct a female political pawn ends up falling in love

Dante Chiavari is sent by King Ed
Melanie
Mar 17, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it
I can't believe I let this book languish on my Kindle's TBR for couple of years now. I finally got around to reading it this month. It's a fourth book in Montagues series, which I've never read, but it hadn't bothered me at all. It can really be read all on its own.

This is my first time reading this author and let me tell you, she is G.O.O.D. Very good. From prose to plot and on to pace, this book sucks you in and doesn't let go even days after you're done reading it.

What I loved above all else,
Marialys Scarano Rodríguez
Aaaasssssswssssswwweeggggggrrrrrrr <3
Dante, ti amo caro.
Valió la pena la espera, Elliott no decepciona. Veamos con qué nos sorprende pronto, hope so.
Extrañé a Guy y a Kenric :(
Gail
Mar 30, 2015 Gail rated it really liked it
Nice story. I like medieval-set romances and this one is a good example. I liked that Elliott included some history outside of the usual English knights and castles, though the Venetian bits were minimal. The hero is the King's Assassin. The heroine is a woman he has to keep from marrying her betrothed, without killing either the woman or her betrothed.

I had to think a bit to figure out what annoyed me about the story-- I kept having to remind myself that I was actually enjoying the story in or
Anne
Jun 30, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
Katie_la_geek
Jul 26, 2012 Katie_la_geek rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
For this review and more visit my

*I was provided with a free copy of this review in exchance for a review*

The dark knight is a book I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would. From the first page I found it very atmospheric and intriguing.

I thought the writing was great; it managed to be descriptive without info dumping. I thought the first half of the book was very interesting because the main character thinks she knows what is going on but you know that actually things are not what she thin
Belinda
Aug 01, 2012 Belinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book by Elizabeth Elliott. The characters were very believable and interesting. Dante is the oh so handsome male lead who is dangerous, deadly and desirable. Avalene is the innocent, beautiful and virginal woman who captures the man of her dreams. For those who like medieval romance, this is the one for you. Read and you won't be disappointed.
AmyChristine
Jun 02, 2014 AmyChristine rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways-i-won
Thank you Goodreads for this first reads giveaway! I love historical romance. The plot was a bit much for a romance, but the main characters had good chemistry. I was a little turned off by some dialogue such as "I love you" with a response from Dante of "thank you". My overall impression is mediocre.
Samantha
Jul 04, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed this book very much. While I thought the middle slowed down (to a halt) it does pick back up at the 67%. Dante is a great hero and I loved Avalene (just not her lip biting quirk). I'm looking forward to the next book. I hope Armand gets a story!
20012206
Apr 17, 2016 20012206 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Buena pero nada del otro mundo, la que menos me gusto de la serie
Linda
Sep 12, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
From the time when she was nine, Avalene's father sent her to his sister as he had a new wife and sons and she was not needed anymore As she grew she was trained in ladyshio fashion eventually taking over the running of the castle since her aunt was too busy admiring herself. Then sir Percival was sent to return her to her father's castle in Wales..............

Dante Chiavari, the English king's assassin, met with Mordecai, one of the kings advisor and a magician enter into his mentor's home to g
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Jul 02, 2012 Jen (Red Hot Books) rated it really liked it
Ever since the murder of his parents, Dante has been working to become strong enough --and lethal enough-- to get the vengeance he has always dreamed of. Now he is darker and deadlier than anyone else in the English kingdom. He has become an assassin for the king and has earned enough favor to get him back to his homeland of Italy to reclaim his birthright.

He only has one last mission before he can go home. Dante must extricate a woman from a marriage disadvantageous to the crown. To do so, he m
FV Angela
Orignally posted at http://www.fictionvixen.com/review-th...

When I read the blurb for The Dark Knight by Elizabeth Elliott I was a little intrigued. I haven’t read a medieval romance in ages, it seems that most new releases in the historical romance genre tend to be with a Regency or Victorian setting. Then I found out this author released several romances set in the same time period back in the 1990′s, which made me even more excited. Some of the best and most diverse historical romance I’ve ev
Ave Binks

I really didn’t think I would enjoy this story as much as I did. I thought it would be just another torrid romance novel that would be more about how many times the main characters could make love in a single book and we can maybe throw a little story in there. I was happy to discover that that was not so with this novel :) With this novel I really understood the difference a romance novel and a romantic story. The romance in this story is nothing short of swoon worthy; Ms. Elliott had me I fall
Julie
This was just a very well written love story. Some authors have the magic touch when it comes to writing about history, laying out the scenes with beautiful detail and emotions that are almost tangible. The book was balanced with the right amount of tension, drama and realism to help the reader to fully experience the lives the characters portrayed. I loved the fluidity of this book. The heroine wasn't the usual damsel in distress. Her thought process lent to true rational thoughts that gave her ...more
Lesley
Aug 13, 2012 Lesley rated it it was amazing
As the King's assassin Dante Chiavari is a master of disguise, on his final mission before his long awaited return to Venice he must convince Avalene de Forshay he is the chivalrous knight Sir Percival sent by her brother to take her to her betrothed.

Avalene is very much a pawn in her family, the Segrave's and the King's plans, promised to Faulke Segrave, Dante must ensure that the planned nuptials do not take place as with Avalene's connections Segrave plans to lead a civil war to overthrow the
~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~
This review was posted at Under The Covers

3.5

“ In his world, truth was an illusion built upon lies, a place where one wrong word, one wrong gesture could cost his life.”

Dante Chiavari is the king’s assassin. He is known as the most ruthless and cold hearted killer out there. His latest mission; to pose as a Sir Percival the Knight and kidnap Avalene de Forshay before she is married off to a family that will use her heritage to start war with the king. It was supposed to be a quick and easy job,
My Book Addiction and More MBA
THE DARK KNIGHT by Elizabeth Elliott is an exciting Medieval historical romance. A dark tale of the assassin,thief,and mercenary, Dante Chiavari and the beautiful Avalene de Forshay,who could be used as a pawn to start a war between Wales and the crown. With deception and danger at every turn, Avalene finds the man she knows as Sir Percival has been keeping a secret that could destroy them both. With fast paced action,danger,secrets,betrayal,passion,risks,perils,trust and the greatest danger of ...more
Conny
Jul 14, 2012 Conny rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was a first read winner and I have to say I really enjoyed this book. Once I got started I could not put it down, and that is pretty much what I want in a book. It has plenty of action, royal intrigue, forced marriages, romance and so much more. It does leave some things unexplained, for instance if the steward John was so obsessed with Avalene would he not try and recapture her? But we never hear from him again once she escapes her uncle. Also just a few pet peeves of mine are all the kissing ...more
Janie
I had been stalking Elizabeth Elliott's website ever since I finished her book 'The Warlord'. I'm so glad she's returned after such a long hiatus with this book! Sometimes I feel that the book did drag on a little bit too much, but I'm just glad that Elizabeth Elliott back. Hoping that she'd release a new book soon!
Amy
Jan 29, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
I had to read this book slowly as I enjoyed it so much. It's much like a fairy tale-esk in the over all romance that slowly builds. and as a bonus it's a good guys wear black novel.

I'm also biased as I've been in love with the Assassin's Creed games, so an Italian assassin just made my little geek gamer heart swoon.

There is plenty of internal monologue and struggle to keep any reader happy and Dante, while very male isn't the tropey alpha we've all come to expect.

A very fun fluffy read that I wi
Kelley Robbins
Oct 01, 2013 Kelley Robbins rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I loved this book. It has passion I lack in my live, although I am only 15. It had a great adventure theme that I truly enjoyed. It shows no matter what happened in the past, a simple love for another can change who you are. This, I think, was a different, more thrilling version of Beauty and the Beast. A good read and I would share this with anyone who doesn't mind a hint of sexual attraction.
Susan (susayq ~)
I don't know. Maybe it was me, but this book just didn't do it for me. I found myself becoming irritated with both the hero and heroine and their wavering between their feelings. And the final resolution seemed to go off without hardly a hitch. I'm sure someone else will read and love it. just not me.
yoksan
Reading it the second time made me found too many annoying stuffs to fully enjoy the story.

I found Dante to be a bit more irritating, and Avalene to be dimwit and unmemorable. If she isn't the main character, I wouldn't even bother to remember her name.

Stars dropped down from 4 to 2.5
  • What a Lady Most Desires (Temberlay, #3)
  • Desperate Hearts
  • The Danger in Tempting an Earl (At the Kingsborough Ball, #3)
  • Texas Mail Order Bride (Bachelors of Battle Creek, #1)
  • Highland Spitfire (Highland Weddings #1)
  • Catch a Falling Heiress (An American Heiress in London, #3)
  • Take Me, Cowboy
  • The Highland Dragon's Lady (Highland Dragon, #2)
  • Bite at First Sight (Scandals with Bite, #3)
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
  • Blackheart
  • The Warrior Laird (Highlander Brothers, #1)
  • Emma And The Outlaw (Orphan Train, #2)
  • My Cherished Enemy
  • Night's Surrender (Children of the Night, #7)
  • Her Irish Warrior
  • The Viking's Touch (Victorious Vikings #2)
  • The Mad Lord's Daughter
Elizabeth Elliott (born in Fort Worth, Texas as Linda Elliott) is the pseudonym for American romance novel author Linda Crippes. All of her novels are published by Bantam Books, now owned by Random House. In addition to writing, she has held various management positions with Fortune 500 companies and worked as a management consultant for a variety of smaller businesses, specializing in information ...more
More about Elizabeth Elliott...

Montagues (4 books)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Betrothed (Montagues, #2)
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)

“Her smile turned to one of joy and something he could not quite define. “You really do love me.”
“I do.” He couldn’t help but smile back at her, at the note of wonder in her voice as if she were the lucky one. His finger traced the small dimple in her cheek. “But I doubt you will ever be able to understand how much. My world was a very dark place before you came into it. I am at home in the darkness, and you will likely see traces of it still lingering in the years to come. Intrigues abound in Venice, and I will be vigilant about protecting you. There will likely be times when you see a side of me that is … unpleasant, although hopefully not as unpleasant as the day we encountered the mercenaries.”
4 likes
“A good hunter did not rush into a den of lions unprepared, and Dante was a very good hunter.” 3 likes