Start by marking “The Dream of Rome” as Want to Read:
The Dream of Rome

The Dream of Rome

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  134 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Focuses on how the Romans made Europe work as a homogeneous civilisation and provides a look at why we are failing to make the EU work in modern times.
Published March 5th 2007 by Harper Perennial (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Dream of Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dream of Rome

Andy Wixon
Apr 07, 2013 Andy Wixon rated it really liked it
The danger when talking about The Dream of Rome, at the moment anyway, is that you start by reviewing the book and end by reviewing the author, for he is journalist, writer, TV personality, politician and Great Blonde Hope of the Tory Party Boris Johnson. Who knows, readers of the future, by the time you read this Boris Johnson may actually have become Prime Minister of Britain (or possibly just England, depending on how that referendum goes).
Johnson cuts such an instinctively endearing figure
Joseph Hargreaves
Jun 11, 2015 Joseph Hargreaves rated it it was amazing
Fantastic introduction to Roman History, would absolutely recommend it to anyone. It really is accessible to all, this is one of the first factual History books I have read, but I leant it to a friend who has a History degree and both absolutely loved it.

I think a lot of the credit goes to the author, who clearly defines the fundamental foundations of a successful empire without once inflicting boredom. Although I would disagree with some of his points (some of the comparisons between the milit
John Pendrey
Oct 31, 2015 John Pendrey rated it really liked it
My background has very study of history but Boris's style kept me enthralled and amused. He was relevant, had a broad sweep and makes me want to know more. Though I'm now more aware of the historical origins of our present position I realise we do not need to be imprisoned by them. Boris recommends we move forward with reconciliation to something of the unity of the Roman Empire.
Justin
Jun 14, 2016 Justin rated it liked it
Boris Johnson uses the Roman empire to make a strong case that Turkey should be embraced into the European Union.
Inma
Nov 23, 2008 Inma rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, I don't really share some of the ideas, but it's an interesting analysis about Europe and the Union and it's differences with the Roman Empire and why they got so much cultural leverage (and cultural/political cohesion) in the past and still nowadays.
It completely changed my opinion about him and the people in the "Sexpectator", excuse me LOL, "Spectator".
As a person he's a very interesting mixture of traditional British and actual/modern man.
I was happy he won the London elec
Vijay
Feb 26, 2015 Vijay rated it it was amazing
First history related book I have read, very insightful. although it does end with there may be mistakes it puts a good perspective of the similarities between the Roman Empire and modern Europe
Ellynne
Feb 06, 2009 Ellynne rated it really liked it
This is a delightful book.

It is the first book about ancient Rome that has really captured my imagination and curiosity. Rather than focus solely on armies, gory games and power, Boris evokes a varied picture of practical and political Roman life. His sense of humor and tone are casual and engaging.

The main flaw that I am choosing to overlook is that Boris is a bit heavy-handed with his parallels to modern European politics.
Stephen Harker
Sep 17, 2012 Stephen Harker rated it it was amazing
A ripping yarn. Boris writes beautifully and engagingly. If you agree with him the modern parallels are obvious and compelling. Just like companies, countries and empires usually go bust slowly and the rot sets in from inside. We have our very own coin clipper destroying money and inevitably destroying much else in the process.

I plan to read this again as it left such a strong impression.
Pete
May 15, 2013 Pete rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Excellent, fun, read. Johnson knows his subject and writes well. His turn of phrase is often delightful, "Chimpanzees' Tea Party" is clearly a phrase that should be used more.

The final part of the book, Johnson's section on Islam is nuanced and worth reading.

The book also succeeds in making the reader want to learn more about Rome and Constantinople.
Stuart
Apr 17, 2008 Stuart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other
I thought an excellent book written by the current conservative candidate for Mayor of London, comparing and contrasting how Rome managed to unite the peoples of Europe together for 400 years, and create a single identity, and how the EU is trying to do that same thing today, and finding it difficult to achieve.
Andrew
Jan 08, 2013 Andrew rated it really liked it
Why do I like BoJo? Because he can write such a book as this...informative,amusingly jagged & amiably controversial...such a blessed relief after so many po-faced apparatchiks of government.Ken Livingstone writes about newts;Boris Johnson writes about everything! The boy Johnson done good!
Richard
Dec 30, 2008 Richard rated it it was amazing
Boris is a bit of a genius when it comes to communicating enthusiasm for Ancient History. This is a warm and amusing account of Roman history but some of his contemporary parallels may irritate you if you don't share Boris' political opinion of the European Union.
Eric Pape
Jan 28, 2013 Eric Pape rated it liked it
Boris's scholarship is excellent and he writes just as he speaks so its an interesting well paced read. The sections about Rome as excellent. Less engaging is is recurring comparison to the current EU and his championing the cause of Turkish membership.
Rachel
Dec 16, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, political
Excellent really enjoyed Boris's take on the Roman Empire and similarities/differences to the EU. Every now and then the rabid conservative shows through but mostly it is conversational entertaining and enlightening.
Deborah
Jul 15, 2009 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I got this after watching his TV special of the same name. The special was OUTSTANDING and this is a nice accompaniment though no where near as good.
Maria Hardie
Aug 01, 2012 Maria Hardie rated it really liked it
v readable and enjoyable after recent trip to Rome. Learnt more about places & historical characters.
Diana
Aug 11, 2011 Diana rated it really liked it
A really interesting intro to Rome.
David
Dec 30, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great pre-read for a trip to Rome!
Stéphane Horta
Stéphane Horta marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Nadine
Nadine marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Max
Max added it
Jun 16, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Paolo Spagnoli
Paolo Spagnoli marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Daniel O'Dowd
Daniel O'Dowd marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Jeroen Vandevelde
Jeroen Vandevelde marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
  • War Hero: The Unlikely Story of A Stray Dog, An American Soldier and the Battle of Their Lives
  • The Hungry Ghosts
  • Crow Country
  • The Still Point
  • The Fall of Yugoslavia
  • Scribes and Scholars: A Guide to the Transmission of Greek and Latin Literature
  • A Positively Final Appearance
  • The Town House (House, #1)
  • The Birth of Classical Europe: A History from Troy to Augustine
  • These Wonderful Rumours!: A Young Schoolteacher's Wartime Diaries
  • In Search of England: Journeys into the English Past
  • The Five of Hearts: An Intimate Portrait of Henry Adams and His Friends, 1880-1918
  • National Geographic Almanac of World History
  • Bookkeeping For Dummies
  • A history of the Roman people
  • A Time to Die: The Untold Story of the Kursk Tragedy
  • Intelligent Guide To Modern Culture
  • A History of the Twentieth Century Vol. 1 1900-1933
Boris Johnson is a British politician in the Conservative Party and the former Mayor of London. Due to his public school, blustering, comedic style, he is generally either loved or loathed by members of the British public.
More about Boris Johnson...